Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2012, 14:54   #1366
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33

A video showing the Ecosport travelling on a busy road in Brazil at night. Thought the video is crude the Ecosport looks gorgeous at night. Towards the end of the video one can see the LED lights (DRL if you will). Hope we get these in the Indian version

Old 24th September 2012, 11:08   #1367

Duster sales are doing pretty well. M & M has come in aggressively priced with their Quanto and I hear, Safari Storme is right around the corner (say Diwali or thereabouts). I am sure the people at Ford are not stupid. If they are delaying the launch of ecosport, there must be absolute unavoidable reasons for the same. Any educated take on WHY ford is delaying the launch of ecosport? Probably, tbhpians in the auto industry could throw light on that.
Old 24th September 2012, 15:41   #1368
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saranhere View Post
Duster sales are doing pretty well. M & M has come in aggressively priced with their Quanto and I hear, Safari Storme is right around the corner (say Diwali or thereabouts). I am sure the people at Ford are not stupid. If they are delaying the launch of ecosport, there must be absolute unavoidable reasons for the same. Any educated take on WHY ford is delaying the launch of ecosport? Probably, tbhpians in the auto industry could throw light on that.
Well, this is only a hunch.

Ford knows that our market is diesel-obsessed. They also know that the EcoBoost petrol unit is their baby and they'd like to bring both the petrol and diesel variants at the same time, instead of bringing only the diesel at first. Maybe they're just waiting it out? Perhaps hoping that the subsidized fuel isn't subsidized as much by the time the EcoSport comes here?

Considering the demand (or rather the lack of it) for petrol engines at this time, it may be wise to hold back and observe the market's dynamics and changes, if any? Bringing in a brand new petrol engine / technology and assembling it here may not be fruitful at this point.

* Again, only a hunch. If someone has better and more meaningful insights, please do share!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th September 2012 at 15:43.
Old 24th September 2012, 19:37   #1369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Well, this is only a hunch.

Ford knows that our market is diesel-obsessed. They also know that the EcoBoost petrol unit is their baby and they'd like to bring both the petrol and diesel variants at the same time, instead of bringing only the diesel at first. Maybe they're just waiting it out? Perhaps hoping that the subsidized fuel isn't subsidized as much by the time the EcoSport comes here?

Considering the demand (or rather the lack of it) for petrol engines at this time, it may be wise to hold back and observe the market's dynamics and changes, if any? Bringing in a brand new petrol engine / technology and assembling it here may not be fruitful at this point.

* Again, only a hunch. If someone has better and more meaningful insights, please do share!
The Major reason is to do localization of the parts as much as possible (Especially the ecoboost engine) as Ford again learned with a very hard way (read it as new fiesta pricing) that pricing is the key factor for India. In India if you give a car in Platinum still people ask for mileage. Secondly they delayed the launch because of the economy slowdown across the globe and in the month of July they were expecting a big slow down in Sept and Oct. they didn't want to launch the car during a dull period. Thirdly Govt was not clear about their strategy on subsidy on diesel. (But this is the least concerning stuff as far as I know)

Today I came to know that 6 speed dct automatic also launch in the initial days itself for ecoboost engine. As per the news the old plans hold true. November the display cars will be available in showrooms and delivery of cars will start in the first half of January 13.

Another news is that Focus is also coming to India towards end of 2013. And that will have a 6 speed manual transmission with a high capacity ecoboost engine.
anumod is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 21:21   #1370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anumod View Post

The Major reason is to do localization of the parts as much as possible (Especially the ecoboost engine) as Ford again learned with a very hard way (read it as new fiesta pricing) that pricing is the key factor for India.

Today I came to know that 6 speed dct automatic also launch in the initial days itself for ecoboost engine. As per the news the old plans hold true. November the display cars will be available in showrooms and delivery of cars will start in the first half of January 13.

I agree that ford is taking time due to them trying to localize it to the max before they launch the car.
I dont think the ecoboost engine will be localised,it will be fully imported . After the dissapointing launch of the quanto i hope ford prices the ecosport sensibly.
We all wish Ford would launch the 6 speed auto version of the diesel but if they will not launch it in the new fiesta i dont think its ever going to come in the ecosport!
Hope they have the cars by November thereby keeping the interest alive.
Quote:
Another news is that Focus is also coming to India towards end of 2013. And that will have a 6 speed manual transmission with a high capacity ecoboost engine.
This was long expected but i feel it is coming too late. Ford should focus on SUV for India like the new escape/kuga that can fit between the ecosport and the new endy(long awaited),knowing that we Indians have a thing for SUVs over sedans.
Hope whatever plans ford has for India it should do it fast,not at the current snails pace its going!

Sent from my RAZR

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 24th September 2012 at 21:31.
Old 24th September 2012, 22:01   #1371
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saranhere View Post
Few thoughts I could gather:

1. Quanto in no way I think would dent the sales of Duster/Ecosport. At least based on the review which I saw in ACI, it does not seem like a cruiser.
2. If folks need one for urban usage as against the sedan/hatches, may be they would look at it. So it becomes more like a competition to sedan hatches rather than Duster/Ecosport.

3 Now coming to Ford delaying it, I doubt that. I think they just were not in a positiont to deliver it this year. I think platform was not ready and so was not the 1L ecoboost.

If for argument's sake we assume, they had it place but for the petrol engine, they would have definitely started with it. (at cost of penalizing their investment on the 1L engine).
Old 24th September 2012, 22:20   #1372
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...Today I came to know that 6 speed dct automatic also launch in the initial days itself for ecoboost engine. As per the news the old plans hold true. November the display cars will be available in showrooms and delivery of cars will start in the first half of January 13....
Thanks for the info. Is the diesel going to be the same 1.5L 90 bhp one as Fiesta? If so, why is Mr. Boneham not ready to reveal the details of the diesel engine in Ecosport? Not sure whether you can answer these, if you know, please do.
Old 24th September 2012, 22:27   #1373
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
1. Quanto in no way I think would dent the sales of Duster/Ecosport. .
Logical. The price itself indicates a different target market. A person who is considering the Duster / ES is not likely to be looking at the lower priced Quanto.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 22:42   #1374
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saranhere
I bet there are a number of activities plus government policy calrity on the critical path.

1. Localization, getting the supply base ready for more local content.
2. Testing the ecoboost engine under local fuel and environmental conditions
3. Finding a window without any major competitive launches
4. Policy clariry on differential excise for diesel cars.
5. Market research and also communication activities to improve perception of ecoboost vis a vis other petrols as well as diesels.
6. Availability of bandwidth from global ecosport product and market teams.

So there is never one reason, it is usually a combination of critical path activities.
Old 24th September 2012, 23:41   #1375
BHPian

Ecosport Brasil pics :

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-ecospor2013prata.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-ecosport2013freestyleprata.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-ecosport2013s.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-ecosport2013sbranca.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-ecosporttitaiumprata.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-fordecosport2013brasilia-3.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-fordecosport2013brasilia-5-1.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-fordecosport2013brasilia-11.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-fordecosport2013brasilia-14.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-fordecosport2013brasilia-16.jpg
bageherath is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 23:44   #1376
BHPian

Contd...

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-fordecosport2013brasilia-18.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-fordecosport2013brasilia-19-1.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-fordecosport2013brasilia-20.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-novaecosport2013titaniumprata-1-1.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-novaecosporttitaniumpreta-1.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-novaecosporttitaniumpreta-3.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-novafordecosportfreestylebranca-1.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-novafordecosportfreestylebranca-1.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-novoecosportsefreestyle.jpg
Old 24th September 2012, 23:47   #1377
BHPian

Brasil Ecosport models are S,SE, FreeStyle (1.6 L Flex) , Titanium (2.0 L)

Below pics are of SE Model : electrically assisted steering, LED headlights, air conditioning, power locks, windows front and rear electric drive, SYNC audio system, ABS brakes, dual airbags, steel wheels with hubcaps , foglamps and, according to Ford, wheels 15 "steel" unique design ".

Name:  FordEcoSportSE 5.JPG
Views: 6338
Size:  84.0 KB

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-fordecosportse-10.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-fordecosportse-15.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-fordecosportse-39.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-fordecosportse-49.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-fordecosportsebancostraseiros.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-fordecosportseinterior-3.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-fordecosportseinterior-5.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-fordecosportseinterior-6.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-fordecosportseinterior.jpg
Old 24th September 2012, 23:50   #1378
BHPian

contd.....
Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-fordecosportsepainelporta.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-fordecosportseportamalas-1.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-fordecosportseportaobjetos.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-fordecosportseposicaodirigir.jpg

Ford EcoSport Preview @ Auto Expo 2012. EDIT : Indian Spy Pics on Pg. 33-fordecosportsepreta-3.jpg
bageherath is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 23:55   #1379
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
2. If folks need one for urban usage as against the sedan/hatches, may be they would look at it. So it becomes more like a competition to sedan hatches rather than Duster/Ecosport.
Completely.

The Quanto, if at all, will lure customers away from the likes of the Sunny / Etios / Etios Liva / Verito / Swift Dzire etc. The Duster / EcoSport on the other hand will eat into the sales of cars like the City / Vento / Rapid / Verna etc. and to some extent, the Safari / Scorpio etc. Again, this depends on how the EcoSport is priced.
Old 25th September 2012, 06:34   #1380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
I agree that ford is taking time due to them trying to localize it to the max before they launch the car.
I dont think the ecoboost engine will be localised,it will be fully imported . After the dissapointing launch of the quanto i hope ford prices the ecosport sensibly.
We all wish Ford would launch the 6 speed auto version of the diesel but if they will not launch it in the new fiesta i dont think its ever going to come in the ecosport!
Hope they have the cars by November thereby keeping the interest alive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Thanks for the info. Is the diesel going to be the same 1.5L 90 bhp one as Fiesta? If so, why is Mr. Boneham not ready to reveal the details of the diesel engine in Ecosport? Not sure whether you can answer these, if you know, please do.
Regarding Diesel Ford guys are tight lipped. So I am expecting an automatic with diesel as well. So it could be a different engine as well. One point they mentioned with me in the last conversation that they were expecting the numbers on Automatic to be higher that the manual in the high end variant. Without diesel I think this may not be possible
anumod is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks