Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2012, 10:14   #946
Senior - BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
Certainly, i would not spend above 10 L (top variant) on a car that has a 3 * euro ncap rating when even the cheapest cars being launched these days have at least 4 stars in the ncap ratings. I am sorry but this is a deal breaker for me.
This is a big let down. Looks like the trunk lid opened during frontal collision test and doors opened during side impact testing. Also, the hard plastics on dash can potentially cause injuries.

Last edited by Guna : 19th June 2012 at 10:41.
Old 19th June 2012, 10:35   #947
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna
This is a big let down. Looks like the trunk lid opened during frontal collision test and doors opened during side impact testing. Also, hard plastic on dash can cause injuries.
Hard plastics abound in all these vehicles. In a non airbag or abs loaded Scorpio for example, suppose one were to have a bump, I shudder to think what the steering column can do. Also the acres of hard plastics and sharp edges! The mind boggles!
Just goes to show that the consumers are evolving rather rapidly and safety per se is increasingly becoming important to people in India and other such developing nations. Rightly so too! Just go back to the tone of conversations held here a few years ago and you will get a clear contrasting picture! I know that I have myself evolved a lot in terms of awareness and certainly in terms of expectations.
Old 19th June 2012, 10:36   #948
MAS
Senior - BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnana View Post
I see a Renault Duster First drive report here !
Renault Duster first drive - Overdrive Magazine -
Has the journalist drive started already ? was there any invitation for TBHP team ?
Mods please share , if you have any update on your test drive for this muscular beauty !
Thanks for sharing the link.

I would take this report with a pinch of salt. The report looks one-sided to me as the negatives are "soft-pedaled".

When i saw the duster a few days back, i could see the plastics are hard and this is not acceptable if we are paying up a million rupees of the car.

Renault is and will continue to place themselves as a premium brand in India. I just hope that they do not overplay this "premium" thing and overcharge Indians.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 10:36   #949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan
I think Duster positioning plan was always intended to give the Scorpio, Safari type vehicles a solid run for their money by offering better ergonomics, more modern technology, better finish, fit and stuff, greater driveability and handling characteristics plus diesel power and butch looks at a highly affordable price.
Not sure if Duster will stand by all these items. If it does, then yes, this kind of pricing might come true. If it does, then it might be bad news for people like me, who have a limited budget, and are looking for a good five seater; not necessarily an SUV
Old 19th June 2012, 10:52   #950
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS

Thanks for sharing the link.

I would take this report with a pinch of salt. The report looks one-sided to me as the negatives are "soft-pedaled".

When i saw the duster a few days back, i could see the plastics are hard and this is not acceptable if we are paying up a million rupees of the car.

Renault is and will continue to place themselves as a premium brand in India. I just hope that they do not overplay this "premium" thing and overcharge Indians.
Would you then accept the hard plastics of the Scorpio and Safari at the price you pay for those cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani
Not sure if Duster will stand by all these items. If it does, then yes, this kind of pricing might come true. If it does, then it might be bad news for people like me, who have a limited budget, and are looking for a good five seater; not necessarily an SUV
Maybe the Ertiga then?

Last edited by Vid6639 : 19th June 2012 at 11:17. Reason: merging posts.
Old 19th June 2012, 11:05   #951
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Would you then accept the hard plastics of the Scorpio and Safari at the price you pay for those cars?
Good point. The Scorpio & Safari are true SUVs and they do not present themselves as a premium vehicle. But, Renault here wants to position a low-cost Cross Over, with low cost interiors as a premium vehicle. If they worked on moving the power windows to the doors, they should have worked in the quality of interiors too.
Old 19th June 2012, 11:12   #952
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS

Good point. The Scorpio & Safari are true SUVs and they do not present themselves as a premium vehicle. But, Renault here wants to position a low-cost Cross Over, with low cost interiors as a premium vehicle. If they worked on moving the power windows to the doors, they should have worked in the quality of interiors too.
I dont think that Renault wants to position the Duster as a premium SUV at all. Again I dont agree that the Scorpio and Safari are Not positioned as premium SUV's. The word premium here in India is rather used and abused until no one is quite clear what it means any more! The only place where the Duster cant be compared to the Scorpio and Safari is its size. Also, lets remember that the Scorpio and Safari are more than ten years old now! And the Duster is modern, has an an european inspired engineering heritage and does certainly seem to be doing very well in rural parts of Eastern, Southern and even Northern Europe where the need is for a solid little dust buster!
Lets not nit pick too much on the hard plastics etc yet.
Consider the case then of the Premium Offering, the XUV and take a hard look at the plastics used in that! Are they not hard? Given the price of 16 lacs?
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 12:16   #953
Senior - BHPian

This car has somehow caught my eye after entering into the mud pit looking for a suv. One thing which i realised is we as consumers have not much of an option. Frankly for a person like me who wants an upgrade from the bolero it is the step cousins of Scorpio and Safari after which there was a huge divide like Saath Samandar Paar to the Yeti and Fortuner region.

All the threads spoke of this in length before the XUV came as a ray of much needed sunshine when we just wanted a small flicker.

But like all news cannot be good XUV did come with some issues here and some issues there so again the thought came up. Do i need to suggest something to my parents which would not have them with peace of mind. Is it all worth it.

Then this thread popped up. Initially i kept away as i felt the name was somehow bad and also the logan fiasco. Didnt want to be stuck with a Puegot kind of experience but looks like Renault is serious. Or are they. Please help me out.

I have gone through the entire length of the thread and this car screams VFM at place behind a better known brand. Renault is the only brand which i believe can give a head on competiton to M&M and Tata.

No offence out here but i wanted to buy the first version of scorpio but then settled for a Bolero. And after all these years of drooling over the safari(Seriously gimme a Bulletproof Safari anyday i will go for it) these guys seriously cannot get their issues resolved. Is QC such a difficult task!!! Really?

So here i am looking at all the Duster videos and drooling and the only thing i am waiting for is the OFFICIAL TBHP REVIEW.

Till then look and have fun with this video
Old 19th June 2012, 12:16   #954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnana View Post
I see a Renault Duster First drive report here !
Renault Duster first drive - Overdrive Magazine -
Has the journalist drive started already ? was there any invitation for TBHP team ?
Mods please share , if you have any update on your test drive for this muscular beauty !
these guys had driven it in Europe. that review was very balanced and I expect/suspect , this one is too...

I am terribly disappointed by the lack of top variant in the petrol...
Old 19th June 2012, 12:28   #955
Senior - BHPian

Autocar India has posted this test Drive report on their website

Renault Duster review, test drive - Review - Autocar India

Regards,
h@r$h@l is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 12:44   #956
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post

Regards,
Highlights:
  • Interior is practical but looks tacky
  • Rear seat is very spacious and comfortable
  • Performance is even better then XUV
  • Ride is flat and comfortable
Old 19th June 2012, 12:48   #957
Distinguished - BHPian

ACI are speaking very highly about it with the red Duster looking stunning!

Only 2 issues:
1. The rear AC vent is mounted quite close to the rear seats - this means moving from one side to the other will be an issue
2. Will all variants have ABS? The spec sheet seems to imply so although others have indicated it is an option on the mid variant and standard on the 110s

Looks like the dCi85 is MUCH more city-friendly (with zero turbo lag) as compared to the dCi110. Anyone who's competed for those short sprints (to the next traffic lights) with a harmless-looking Logan cab will know what I am saying :-)

If Renault can indeed stick to the promised 8L/8.25L starting price for the dCi85, they will have a real winner on their hands.

Last edited by itwasntme : 19th June 2012 at 12:54. Reason: Rear seat
Old 19th June 2012, 12:49   #958
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Guys,

For those of you who may have missed the NCAP result summary of the Duster, you can see it here. The videos can also be seen on the link.

Dacia Duster | Euro NCAP - For safer cars crash test safety rating

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 12:50   #959
BHPian

video link of the OD review. beige overdose..
BUXX is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 13:04   #960
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l

Regards,
Nice, informative and seriously positive news indeed! This thing can and should give things like the Scorpio, Bolero, Safari, Sumo Grande, Storme, Force One and even the XUV a good run for their money!
I am as always, plugging for this vehicle. Very practical, no nonsense approach. One can live with less of the 'plushy bits' but it looks like there is a fair bit of safety stuff and other kit in this Duster.
All at a pretty reasonable price too with the good handling monocoque chassis, diesel power, reasonable torque and excellent ground clearance. They dont look to have stinted on the tyres and wheels either!
Good on you Renault.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks