Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2012, 08:52   #1051
BHPian

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

^^ Well, that still doesn't explain it at all.

Why have the petrol version at all then?
And what benefit will Renault have in not giving an option of ABS+Airbags to the Petrol variant??

This is just a strategy lacuna from them.
There must be people in Renault who still think that " ...in India , no one needs safety airbags, sherbags..."
Old 21st June 2012, 09:22   #1052
Team-BHP Support

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

That 1.6L petrol engine is nothing to write home about. I actually think that Renault has a well thought strategy. Yes ABS and airbags should have been an option in the Petrol but at the end of the day I do not see them selling the Petrol variant in justifiable numbers. Heck they never even launched the Pulse with Petrol option initially. By removing so many features they will be able to get the price point really low for the Duster and may end up selling the Petrol only because of the large differential between Petrol and diesel. If it was fully loaded petrol the 1L differential will not attract buyers.

Secondly for the diesel, they have 3 out of 5 variants with ABS so that looks covered. The 85PS RXL with option pack is the best pick with good features and will hopefully be priced competitively. 110PS RXL with option pack does not exist since that is almost equal to top end RXZ.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 09:42   #1053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
^^ Well, that still doesn't explain it at all.

Why have the petrol version at all then?
And what benefit will Renault have in not giving an option of ABS+Airbags to the Petrol variant??

This is just a strategy lacuna from them.
There must be people in Renault who still think that " ...in India , no one needs safety airbags, sherbags..."
If some buyers use it only for city driving and clock far less, then Renault may have thought it fit not to offer ABS / Airbags on the petrol variant....the upside being (if at all) a claim of an extremely low entry point for the car.

To say that Renault thinks " ...in India , no one needs safety airbags, sherbags..." is incorrect otherwise they would not have offered it at all their diesel variants.

Like the proverbial "Twelve blind men feeling an elephant" we are only exposed to some parts of their thinking but we tend to make the whole story. We do not know their supply chain, assembly line constraints, export commitments, engine capacity, synergies with other models, economic efficiency and so on.

I am pretty confident that with the kind of intense competition we have here they are doing their best with what they have (like every other car manufacturer).

Cheers,
diffsoft is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 09:43   #1054
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Vid. They might lose a a few sales due to lack of features in Petrol, but who is going to buy a petrol crossover these days? And its not like it has a realistic chance against petrol Ecosport with a 1L engine - which has better performance (110bhp) and should be having way better FE.

The diesel Duster on the other hand has everything going for it. Lets hope Duster is priced realistic, Renault has a potential hit on their hands.

Vid, GTO: Any chance for a TBHP TD report on Duster this week?

Last edited by SkyWalker : 21st June 2012 at 09:48.
Old 21st June 2012, 09:48   #1055
Senior - BHPian

Zigwheels has published a report of its first drive:

Renault Duster: First Drive Page - 2| Zigwheels.com
Old 21st June 2012, 11:03   #1056
Distinguished - BHPian

The way I see it, Renault is putting all its bets on the Diesel variants to boost sales for it and is keeping the Petrol version as a tantalizing offer at a starting price of 7.xx to woo customers. These are stripped variants and made to a cost.
Ford on the other hand, with excise benefits on both Length and engine size, is going to add full safety features and gadgets and position its economical Petrol engine at a relatively premium price point.
With the current approach, I see Duster with a higher chance of success. But it may not take too long to upset the apple cart if the government goes ahead with the Diesel car tax, which will change the position overnight and make Ford the winner instead of Renault!

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 11:24   #1057
Team-BHP Support

The only reason for skimping on features on the petrol variant would be to offer a low price to launch the product. This serves as a good catchline in drawing attention to the product, and once the customer interest is generated, they would realize that the diesel version is what they would need to buy.

Remember how Ford shouted out a really low entry price on the Figo when it was launched? That version existed only to have an offerring with the basic price. I dont think many people even bought that variant. Renault seems to be having a similar strategy.
Old 21st June 2012, 12:20   #1058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
The only reason for skimping on features on the petrol variant would be to offer a low price to launch the product.
But that should not stop them from including a top of the line petrol variant. I tend to believe that some of the petrol car buyers go for the petrol variant because of the refinement levels and they do care for the equipment list and safety kits.
Old 21st June 2012, 12:22   #1059

Till date , this has to be the thread on Team BHP I kept coming back to so frequently. I am rooting for a mid range diesel with option pack. All depends on the pricing. Hope the real thing will not be a let down.

Tried reaching out to Renault's customer service again. All I got was a templatized reply
bull8e is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2012, 12:40   #1060
BHPian

@ Guna: ^^ absolutelyagree...
There is no reason to their crackpot logic.

If they can have a base Petrol version , just to catch/entice customers to the showroom; their is no reason to not offer an Option pack to it.
The cheapest version will still remain the cheapest!

If there is a customer willing to buy the 110Hp Petrol version with the essential safety bits, why not sell it to him??
Old 21st June 2012, 12:49   #1061
Senior - BHPian

I do not think that this product, however, it good it may be (even in 4X2 guise) will be a roaring success like the Ertiga, Innova, Scorpio, etc.

The petrol has basically nothing to cheer for it. Almost all Sedans offer as much room, luggage carrying capability & much more mileage (in real conditions), except the ground clearance. There are no jump seats in the rear either to appeal to masses.

The diesel (particularly 110PS one) will be a sensible option for those opting sedans over Rs.10 lacs, especially Fluence & Corolla, etc. But, those who are better informed of the (Dacia) Duster will surely put in few more lacs & opt for Yeti or XUV500.

I feel going tough for Renault.
Old 21st June 2012, 13:12   #1062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
The way I see it, Renault is putting all its bets on the Diesel variants to boost sales for it and is keeping the Petrol version as a tantalizing offer at a starting price of 7.xx to woo customers. These are stripped variants and made to a cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
The only reason for skimping on features on the petrol variant would be to offer a low price to launch the product. This serves as a good catchline in drawing attention to the product, and once the customer interest is generated, they would realize that the diesel version is what they would need to buy.

Remember how Ford shouted out a really low entry price on the Figo when it was launched? That version existed only to have an offerring with the basic price. I dont think many people even bought that variant. Renault seems to be having a similar strategy.
Very true, I think Renault has understood the Indian market well. It's the snap judgment when the price is revealed that decides the fate of the product. "Vento starts at 6.99 lakhs! Awesome!" Even though no one ever buys that variant. On the flip side, Ford tried to mess with this mindset with the new Fiesta and has struggled ever since. If you're branded a failure at the start, it's very hard to change perception in India.
Old 21st June 2012, 13:31   #1063
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
If there is a customer willing to buy the 110Hp Petrol version with the essential safety bits, why not sell it to him??
For all we know, this may not be a part of the initial offerring, but may be provided somewhere down the line based on demand. IMHO, it appears they would initially try to devote the entire production to the diesel variant.
Old 21st June 2012, 13:41   #1064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
The diesel (particularly 110PS one) will be a sensible option for those opting sedans over Rs.10 lacs, especially Fluence & Corolla, etc. But, those who are better informed of the (Dacia) Duster will surely put in few more lacs & opt for Yeti or XUV500.
Sounds ominous. What exactly is wrong with the (Dacia) Duster?
Old 21st June 2012, 13:58   #1065
Senior - BHPian

Guys
by any chance is the Duster's doors a straight lift from the LOGAN ? from the pictures the door design looks very very similar ( especially the crease below the handles, the handles itself and the opening for the rear view mirror )
Closed Thread

Most Viewed