Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2012, 13:09   #1171

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
Duster's 108 bhp engine looks good enough. Please correct me if any of my points were wrong.
Your points are correct. Considering the weight its decent but could be better. I guess Renault wants it to be more of a comfortable highway cruiser than power packed SUV. But it will do its job according to indian expectations and excellent FE figures with a 6 speed box as well. Cheap to buy and run SUV.
Old 25th June 2012, 17:16   #1172
SRG

re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Went ahead and booked the Diesel RxL version (85PS) today. Funny thing is the sales Guy was proudly showing vehicle details in Auto Car magazine . They have no brochures, no specification sheet, absolutely no details about the car. When I enquired about the launch date, he said "Saar around 6th July, no final date yet..." I didn't ask any more questions, handed over the cheque, took the receipt and came back.

Eagerly waiting for 4th July and a review from Team-Bhp. Hope the OTR price for 85PS RxL with option pack comes around 9/9.5L Hyderabad.
SRG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 17:25   #1173
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
Went ahead and booked the Diesel RxL version (85PS) today. Funny thing is the sales Guy was proudly showing vehicle details in Auto Car magazine . They have no brochures, no specification sheet, absolutely no details about the car. When I enquired about the launch date, he said "Saar around 6th July, no final date yet..." I didn't ask any more questions, handed over the cheque, took the receipt and came back.

Eagerly waiting for 4th July and a review from Team-Bhp. Hope the OTR price for 85PS RxL with option pack comes around 9/9.5L Hyderabad.
Seriously? were they showing the details to customers with a copy of Autocar magazine? sounds hilarious if I try to imagine this scene .

Can you share the booking amount that you paid for it, and did they mention anything about when deliveries would commence??

P.S - accepting bookings before the car's launch reminds me of the fluidic verna launch during last year May.

Last edited by KarthikK : 25th June 2012 at 17:28.
Old 25th June 2012, 17:42   #1174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
Went ahead and booked the Diesel RxL version (85PS) today.
I hope you have ensured full refund in case of cancellation. Its strange that the dealers still don't have data about the car, not even simple facts. Like you and many others, i too hope that the "d-day" is 4th July.
Old 25th June 2012, 17:43   #1175
SRG

I paid 50k for the booking. When asked about deliveries, he said: immediately after launch, I asked will I get on 6th... he replied "No Saar, but after 10-12 days of launch".
Don't know if he really knows anything.
SRG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 17:44   #1176
BHPian

Is it advisable or the right thing to go ahead and book a car or purchase a car thats not tried n tested on our shores.Issues such as after sales,service costs,spares,cost of those spares etc etc.
I personally would always wait around for a few months and keep a close eye on stuff like that.But then again for the Duster keeping in mind that its a cost effective suv many should think that the spares,service cost etc would'nt be much.Now that the duster launch is near i keep checking to see when the showroom will start displaying them.Ive read on this thread 4th july(independance day for America).Instead they couldve waited a month more an launched on a more significant date.15 august.Then that would be a brilliant gift from Renault.
Old 25th June 2012, 17:45   #1177

Booking amount is 50K. Deliveries within 2-3 weeks after launch. That is the info I got from Whitefield Renault.
The person I spoke to also mentioned having received 200+ bookings.
Duster's pre launch booking has been written about before .
bull8e is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 17:47   #1178
BHPian

While every one is saying that no 4x4 is scheduled to be launched on 4th of July, one of my friends who has booked the car said that you have to fill up a form and it mentions 4x4 and he has booked a 4x4. Btw the deal is Rs. 50,000 as booking amount and if you dont like the SUV or the pricing you can cancel it and they will refund 47,500.
ranc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 17:57   #1179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG

Congrats on booking.
Why not 110 ps engine?
Quite surprised by the renault india preparations on the duster.
I pass everyday from Renault Delhi west in Motinagar (Mecca of Automobile showrooms),what i have observed dat there is no advertisement of any kind related to duster's launch.The showroom looks puny as compared to other one's in the area.The cars are usually parked on the road after showroom closes and they have a pimped pulse on raised platform,which i am seeing from past few months.
I seriously doubt things will for Renault in India.
Lets wait & watch.
Old 25th June 2012, 17:59   #1180
SRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
Btw the deal is Rs. 50,000 as booking amount and if you dont like the SUV or the pricing you can cancel it and they will refund 47,500.
In my case I was told that there are no cancellation charges, but today while booking got to know that its just 1k. Seems like it varies from dealer to dealer, there are no proper guidelines.
Old 25th June 2012, 18:01   #1181
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
Is it advisable or the right thing to go ahead and book a car or purchase a car thats not tried n tested on our shores.Issues such as after sales,service costs,spares,cost of those spares etc etc.
I personally would always wait around for a few months and keep a close eye on stuff like that.But then again for the Duster keeping in mind that its a cost effective suv many should think that the spares,service cost etc would'nt be much.
While one always wants to/ should check out the early reports of a vehicle for those who are keen for a particular vehicle having waited a fair bit before the launch itself they wish to get their hands on one soon. If the vehicle becomes a major hit like say the XUV or the Fortuner then one has to again wait a lot for bookings to reopen and then for the actual delivery. So if one is reasonably sure then one does need to pay up / book upfront.

I would suggest one pays a booking amount upfront and be prepared to give up the cancellation charges if one does not like what one sees in flesh. The cancellation fees are not really that high generally.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 18:24   #1182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Posting pics below, all from romanian site Comparativ Duster vs. concuren. Detailed pics and comparisons of Duster vs Ford Kuga, VW Tiguan, Yeti, Qashqai and Tuscon.

It would be a nice value add if reviewers review new cars with some other cars that folks are familiar in the image for context and perspective.
Thanks Raul.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
And nice choice of SUVs for comparison.
And I can't help but admire the Tucson - a clean, simple and handsome design. Why can't they make such SUVs anymore I wonder . The Yeti, XUV, Duster - the styling is bit too much for me (no offence to fellow owners)...

BTW, why are people booking without having a look at a real show room piece/ TD??? Goes to show a desparate shortage of VFM SUV's in India? We default to buying a car when we actually want is a good SUV priced reasonably???

Cheers!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 25th June 2012 at 18:25.
Old 25th June 2012, 18:42   #1183
BHPian

I guess most of the customers booking Duster right now are doing so to avoid the long waiting periods that has become the trend. The waiting period is so scary that customers are willing to risk the Rs. 2500 (or what ever the penalty amount is).
I thank all such customers, how risk it, buy the car early and then provide the rest of us with valuable feedback.
Old 25th June 2012, 19:14   #1184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
While every one is saying that no 4x4 is scheduled to be launched on 4th of July, one of my friends who has booked the car said that you have to fill up a form and it mentions 4x4 and he has booked a 4x4. Btw the deal is Rs. 50,000 as booking amount and if you dont like the SUV or the pricing you can cancel it and they will refund 47,500.
I had booked duster and now have cancelled it citing no 4x4. If 4x4 was going to be launched why would they let a customer go?
Old 25th June 2012, 19:14   #1185
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda
I personally would always wait around for a few months and keep a close eye on stuff like that.But then again for the Duster keeping in mind that its a cost effective suv many should think that the spares,service cost etc would'nt be much.Now that the duster launch is near i keep checking to see when the showroom will start displaying them.Ive read on this thread 4th july(independance day for America).Instead they couldve waited a month more an launched on a more significant date.15 august.Then that would be a brilliant gift from Renault.
I would bet my money on the Duster compared to say the XUV!
It is proven internationally, whereas the XUV is not yet proven even here in India.
Thing to remember is that if something is priced cheaply, then the typical mindset is to buy now and figure out the issues later.
And the chances of such issues with the Duster are likely less than with the XUV and such.
Our companies are greedy for sales and hence go ahead and launch even when they are not fully ready. And the first few batches of consumers over the first year or two or three become guinea pigs. We are still quite a starved market and it is only because of a lack of options that we put up with this rubbish!
But it has to change as things develop onward. Maximum another 5 to 7 years in my surmise!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 25th June 2012 at 19:33.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed