Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2012, 11:15   #286
Senior - BHPian

re: Scoop! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo. EDIT : Launched !!!

interesting point noted, wheels at four corners, almost like a mini cooper. Should have good chuckable handling, may be some body roll due to height, but still seems a better handler than a xylo or a scorpio. Looks are subjective, but I find it ugly/cute, somewhat like a toddler trying to act grownup. Something like a Yeti
Old 18th September 2012, 11:46   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
I don't like it.

This is as despicable as the Indigo CS. It shouts of our Indian jugaad mentality and doesn't offer anything in terms of value engineering. Sorry if I have offended those who think "cutting the boot/vehicle to fit in the regulations" a brilliant idea, but this is what I feel.

This junk would in all probability be highly unstable because of the compromised dynamics and can put other users also at risk on highways.
Don't you think its too early to label it as Junk, lets wait and watch for the reviews before we completely put down a product. Yes I agree it looks odd, but so does the Ritz for e.g & it seems to be doing fairly well.

I agree cutting the rear may not be great, but hey the normal junta cares about the money factor and this is one great lever to cut prices, so i'm all for it. Its not like anyone is forcing us to buy one!

Also, I have seen more people getting killed by SUV/Lorries driven by people who are either drunk or have no sleep than by unstable cars.., the vehicle is as good as the driver,lets not forget that.
vishygk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th September 2012, 12:30   #288
BHPian

Guys I think it is better to see this Mini SUV in flesh and then comment on the looks, fact remains that the Xylo has become a head turner, it looks pretty butch now atleast from the front angle and the good thing is that Quanto has the same nose, so that is a plus in Quanto. Another thing I find which might be good when we see this in person is that Xylo is too damn huge and I somehow feel its proportions dont seem right, may be after the cut in length it might look better. I had a similar experience with Duster, it did look good in pics but in flesh it looked a tad puny to me and when I see it on road these days it does seem that in the pics it looks better than what it looks in the flesh.
Old 18th September 2012, 12:36   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....It shouts of our Indian jugaad mentality and doesn't offer anything in terms of value engineering.
Could you be more specific about "value engineering". I for one could not really understand what are you hinting at; if you could point out one or two examples, will be great!

Quote:
This junk would in all probability be highly unstable because of the compromised dynamics and can put other users also at risk on highways.
Prejudices are no good! Even a very dynamically sound vehicle can be dangerous on a highway if NOT driven properly! It boils down to the drivers more than the vehicles itself! I really doubt people push non-dynamically sound vehicles to such limits! I dare say I drive our Wagon R with a lot more caution than my Swift because I know Wagon R is not as dynamically sound as the Swift!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 18th September 2012 at 12:39.
swiftnfurious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2012, 12:44   #290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Absolutely a design disaster the Premier Rio has better proportioned looks, sad to say what was Mahindra design team thinking (maybe just cost) while chopping the Xylo (Another eye sore).
Yes.
I agree whole heartedly!!
If only it packed the punch and even a quarter of the service background, it would have been the 800 of this segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Looks are subjective, but I find it ugly/cute, somewhat like a toddler trying to act grownup. Something like a Yeti
The car, the phenomenon, or somebody else?
Old 18th September 2012, 13:22   #291
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Hmmm Suhaas, No offence, but am bit curious here, any particular reason why hatches/sedan are better than these MUVs ? in what parameters ? is the riding, handling, comfort, safety, looks ? MUVs offer more space and comfort, and yes, though the handling/riding is tad lower than the high end hatches/sedans, i guess it can't be really bad in these MUVs or is there some other factors ?
Hi Haria

None taken. And that's because you have merely misunderstood me.

I don't undermine the value of a brand-new car that may be different from the rest in the herd. In fact, I go and drive it to see what it's about, if and when I can. I think the Duster is a great car and so is the EcoSport. I can't wait for the Swift based compact SUV to hit the streets and I certainly can't wait for the Quanto, even though it doesn't appeal to me on the face of it.

Sedans / hatchbacks are in no way superior, or for that matter inferior, to these cars that now form a brand new segment. They're just mere alternatives, and that's because they're priced in that bracket, i.e. 9-12 lakhs.

The impression these cars have had on automobile-guys in Team-BHP and elsewhere is great. But outside the circle, I've come across many who don't. Obviously, I can't consider my social circle the be-all-and-end-all of all things. So it isn't a good representation of the general car buying public. But it still is worthy to take note of.

The 'Sedan' has always been something everyone aspired to get. Hatchbacks were just a steeping-stone in that goal. That's how hatchbacks are perceived to be in our market. Things have gradually changed though, over the years. Hatchbacks are getting more expensive and there is a considerable chunk of the masses who wouldn't mind splurging on one.

If it was a people's-mover, it either had to be a Bolero or an Innova, depending on the size of your wallet. The Safari held it's ground due to it's charm and the Scorpio, everyone got accustomed to. Both have done well, just look at the charts. And so has the Xylo.

But remember, these are MPVs. We're talking compact SUVs / MPVs here. These have different things on offer, even though in theory, they have 4 wheels. They offer large hatch / mid-range sedan like space, SUV-like ground-clearance and good fuel-economy. It may or may not appeal to the sedan / hatch owner, because there are compromises. The Duster may have a massive boot and great dynamics, but it's fit-finish is nothing to write home about. The EcoSport (going by reviews) is a equally fantastic, but is just about as spacious as a Figo and has a small boot. The Quanto, well, it offers pretty much what the Xylo offers except 20% less. And it's a good thing, because there are people who don't want that extra 20%.

That's the thing. There are just alternatives to sedans / hatches. It just boils down to preferences. Some people would chose to avoid the quirkiness and versatility of a compact SUV and rather get themselves something more mainstream. Something like a Sedan as they've had this 'air' about them.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 18th September 2012 at 13:26.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2012, 17:23   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is as despicable as the Indigo CS. It shouts of our Indian jugaad mentality and doesn't offer anything in terms of value engineering. Sorry if I have offended those who think "cutting the boot/vehicle to fit in the regulations" a brilliant idea, but this is what I feel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Absolutely a design disaster the Premier Rio has better proportioned looks
Think about it this way, Mahindra has already written off Xylo as a flop, so it wont hurt them to make minimal changes and take a shot at its luck again.
They will surely not loose out by such min. re-engineering. They would not want to waste much money on rewamping the whole vehicle again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Obviously you've failed to understand the point I was trying to make in the first place and have gone into a tangent, talking about prices of houses vis a vis cars. Which is frankly way off.
Suhaas, Sorry you missed my point altogether. I guess, I will leave the point here, than making another post explaining my viewpoint

Last edited by xingamazon : 18th September 2012 at 17:27.
Old 18th September 2012, 17:55   #293
BHPian

launch will be on 21 (mahindra launches new vehicles on a fri ?)
Brouchure/etc will mostly reach the showroom today evening. So if anybody knows some mahindra dealer(s), you may get your hands on this early

and they have apparently driven this engine for 2 L km or so during the testing periods.. (not sure whether this is fully authentic or not)

Last edited by haria : 18th September 2012 at 17:58.
haria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2012, 18:40   #294
Senior - BHPian

Sorry about the poor MS paint job in my earlier post on page 17. Here is a better job:

Scoop! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo. EDIT : Launched !!!-untitled.jpg

Mahindra & Mahindra, please affix the rear number plate at the location shown above, for the future batches of production vehicles, at least. It will definitely reduce the boxy look from the rear. Please take this as a feedback from a prospective customer
Old 18th September 2012, 19:04   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
For e.g. If I have bought my house for INR 25L or if my house is worth 25L, for me the ideal car in mind would be a INR 5L to INR 8L max. Though I can afford a proper SUV the likes of Endeavour / Fortuner.I will never ever want to spend around INR 16L just for a vehicle.
Um, not for me personally. I dont even have 10 percent of my flat value as my budget for a car. Maybe it just means that I have planned my finances badly or am stingy or I dont have the need for a proper SUV.

In fact my opinion is even contradicting those offered by suhaas' friends. Why would I not buy a better specced Figo on stilts? ok, high heels. One that I can chuck around without worrying about GC issues. I only intend to say that in terms of the Ecosport. But then it could also be the case as I am a bit bored of driving around a hatch.

Quote:
That's the thing. There are just alternatives to sedans / hatches. It just boils down to preferences. Some people would chose to avoid the quirkiness and versatility of a compact SUV and rather get themselves something more mainstream. Something like a Sedan as they've had this 'air' about them.
In my case I know my limitations and expectations. I dont intend to go gallivanting off road and I dont want to try squeezing a full size SUV in the narrow Pune city roads (I dont wear the all white/ gold chain/ aviator costume). So I may be attracted to buy one of these compact SUVs/ MPVs/ hatchbacks on stilts. Whether that is for now or later is another story.
The best thing I find here is these manufacturers have to fight hard to see the cheque for the booking amount.
Old 18th September 2012, 19:44   #296
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
In fact my opinion is even contradicting those offered by suhaas' friends. Why would I not buy a better specced Figo on stilts? ok, high heels. One that I can chuck around without worrying about GC issues. I only intend to say that in terms of the Ecosport. But then it could also be the case as I am a bit bored of driving around a hatch.
Wholeheartedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
In my case I know my limitations and expectations. I dont intend to go gallivanting off road and I dont want to try squeezing a full size SUV in the narrow Pune city roads (I dont wear the all white/ gold chain/ aviator costume). So I may be attracted to buy one of these compact SUVs/ MPVs/ hatchbacks on stilts. Whether that is for now or later is another story.
The best thing I find here is these manufacturers have to fight hard to see the cheque for the booking amount.
Honestly, if I had to spend 10-15 lakhs on a car today, I would buy the Duster without blinking an eye. I drive on some of the most terribly maintained roads in Bangalore. The fantastic ride-quality and high GC will make sense. I won't need to slow down perpetually for those nasty pot-holes and undulations. I think I can live with the average interior. I love the way it looks. it's dimensions are not overwhelming so parking is relatively easy. I like the fact that it has a big boot, and the engine / performance is more than adequate for city-highway drives. Accommodating 5 isn't a problem.

The Quanto should be similar too. The only reason why I would buy a Duster over a Quanto (even though the Renault is priced higher) is the way it looks. I don't like the way the Mahindra looks. It's highly dis-proportioned. Why, for that matter, even the EcoSport has started looking a wee bit much. I've grown fond of the Duster's chunky design.

I personally find HUGE value in the compact SUV.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 18th September 2012 at 19:48.
Old 18th September 2012, 22:00   #297
BHPian

Before stating I would like to put my assumption clearly based on which I am writing my following reply...

Broadly we have two larger segments Cars (Sedans / hatchbacks) and UV's (SUV/MUV and compact UV's) with there own advantages and limitations.
My assumption here is anybody usually has liking towards either of these segments and prefer to buy one from these provided there is an alternative available in his/her budget. If alternative is not available then he/she cross shop from the other segment but keep searching for an alternative from his/her favorite segment.

Quote:
Sedans / hatchbacks are in no way superior, or for that matter inferior, to these cars that now form a brand new segment. They're just mere alternatives, and that's because they're priced in that bracket, i.e. 9-12 lakhs.
what I cat from above is - you are talking about new segment compact SUV/MUV and it includes rio, duster, quanto and ecosport in the order of their launch/expected launch.

Quote:
The impression these cars have had on automobile-guys in Team-BHP and elsewhere is great. But outside the circle, I've come across many who don't. . . . . But it still is worthy to take note of.
Difficult to believe looking at the number of bookings Renault is flooded with for duster despite of the long waiting time. It indicates that even Renault was not expecting so huge response to duster.

Quote:
The 'Sedan' has always been something everyone aspired to get. Hatchbacks were just a steeping-stone in that goal. .....
IMO this shows that you prefer/like Cars than UV's - quite natural for me but you doesn't seems to be considering that there exist people (like me ) who prefer/like UV's than Cars - specially looking at 'everyone' in your above statement. We could feel the presence of this group (32% compared to 68% for Cars) looking at the latest segment (body-style) wise breakup of monthly car sale.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2892523

Quote:
We're talking compact SUVs / MPVs here. These have different things on offer, . . . . It may or may not appeal to the sedan / hatch owner, because there are compromises. . . . . .
Here again you mention that it boils down to preference but you are ignoring the people who prefer UV's by saying that UV's (compact) are compromises.
Finally for me compact UV's will be there for those who don't afford or like long UV's - something similar to longer and spacious cars (Sedans) and compact cars (hatches).
Old 19th September 2012, 02:03   #298
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren_L View Post
what I cat from above is - you are talking about new segment compact SUV/MUV and it includes rio, duster, quanto and ecosport in the order of their launch/expected launch.
Yes, but not all of them fall in the same price-bracket. The Rio and the Quanto will be similarly priced. The EcoSport and Duster will be / are priced a notch higher.

Quote:
Difficult to believe looking at the number of bookings Renault is flooded with for duster despite of the long waiting time. It indicates that even Renault was not expecting so huge response to duster.
Of course. But let's not forget that most cars that create a buzz initially tend to slow down with regard to sales as the months / years go by. This initial 'success' stage is often termed the 'honeymoon' period.

But will the Duster stand the test of time? Or will it simmer? This question will be answered in time and once the segment grows and competition rises to the challenge.

Quote:
IMO this shows that you prefer/like Cars than UV's - quite natural for me but you doesn't seems to be considering that there exist people (like me ) who prefer/like UV's than Cars - specially looking at 'everyone' in your above statement. We could feel the presence of this group (32% compared to 68% for Cars) looking at the latest segment (body-style) wise breakup of monthly car sale.

Here again you mention that it boils down to preference but you are ignoring the people who prefer UV's by saying that UV's (compact) are compromises.
Finally for me compact UV's will be there for those who don't afford or like long UV's - something similar to longer and spacious cars (Sedans) and compact cars (hatches).
I think you might have missed my post. The one right above yours (Post No. 296)

By the way, when I say that there are certain compromises when you go for a mini / compact UV /SUV, I mean compromises like fit & finish and some key ingredients. The Duster for example comes with only 2 wiper-setting speeds. Now that's certainly a compromise when you compare it to a sedan or any car for that matter.

That said, the Duster car do things that no sedan / hatch can.
Old 19th September 2012, 10:20   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Quanto should be similar too. The only reason why I would buy a Duster over a Quanto (even though the Renault is priced higher) is the way it looks.

I am in a similar dilemma here, while looking to upgrade from my Esteem.

The pathetic city roads of Bangalore are pushing me towards the mini SUVs for better ride comfort and driveability.

The areas I am hoping that Quanto might tick the boxes for me to compensate over the Duster's looks and features are -

- Easier bumper to bumper driveability on account of good low end torque
- A light clutch
- Significantly lower price
- Good driver seat ergonomics

If the Quanto fails in the above areas, then the Duster will influence my final decision in a big way
Old 19th September 2012, 10:53   #300
BHPian

Saw 3-4 of these parked at Sireesh, Marathahalli when I went to pick my car from service. They were covered, I guess the launch is in a day or two now so wasnt that curious to see what it looks like. However, if they get the engine configuration right + practical features, they are going to get quite a few market in this new segment as well.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed