Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2012, 22:36   #271
MHG
BHPian

re: Scoop! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo. EDIT : Launched !!!

How significant is the body roll when it comes to a vehicle's safety (not ride quality) ? From the looks of it the Quanto should have atleast as bad body roll as Xylo. Apart from this everything else seems perfect. This has the markings of a great product in the market.
Old 17th September 2012, 00:55   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
9/10 people (age groups 20s to 40s) say that if one wants a SUV, one should save up a considerable amount for a good one like the Fortuner / Endeavour etc. They often say that they don't dig the mini-SUV mini-MPV thing. It's neither here, nor there - is their reasoning.
No offence, but I guess on what class of people your friends are (in terms of income / asset value etc). For anyone the house would be the major share of investment in one's life and around , quarter to max half of your house value would be for a car that one would yearn to own

For e.g. If I have bought my house for INR 25L or if my house is worth 25L, for me the ideal car in mind would be a INR 5L to INR 8L max. Though I can afford a proper SUV the likes of Endeavour / Fortuner.I will never ever want to spend around INR 16L just for a vehicle.
xingamazon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 08:27   #273
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
No offence, but I guess on what class of people your friends are (in terms of income / asset value etc). For anyone the house would be the major share of investment in one's life and around , quarter to max half of your house value would be for a car that one would yearn to own

For e.g. If I have bought my house for INR 25L or if my house is worth 25L, for me the ideal car in mind would be a INR 5L to INR 8L max. Though I can afford a proper SUV the likes of Endeavour / Fortuner.I will never ever want to spend around INR 16L just for a vehicle.
Obviously you've failed to understand the point I was trying to make in the first place and have gone into a tangent, talking about prices of houses vis a vis cars. Which is frankly way off.

For the record, some of my friends are in the market for diesel cars in the price-range of 5-8 lakhs and they are not giving the Quanto a second look. Heck, they don't see value in a car like the Duster, for what it offers. They said they'd still buy a sedan or a larger hatchback.

What I'm trying to say is that although this segment holds great potential, it
hasn't gone down too well with people just yet. It needs to mature. We're probably at the cusp of this segments maturity. It's also worthy to note that there were a few cars launched earlier that fit well in this segment and haven't really done well. The Fusion, for example.
Old 17th September 2012, 10:01   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurudutt View Post
From this pic/angle, it looks a little shorter than the xylo. Looks like its wearing 14/15 inch wheels. Whom do they presume to fit in the third row? looks good for kids at best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
It needs to get better shoes. Somehow, the current ones seem to be a misfit. Wonder why Mahindra didnt go in for bigger ones.
Yesterday I was in Mahindra Workshop for Thar Service. Quanto was lying under wrap. Some how managed to look at vehicle. Model was C8.
Tyres were 205-65R15.

Opened hood to have look at motor. There was a cover on engine. Cover has symbol like CR100. Not sure whether it relates to 100 BHP
zalaps is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 11:39   #275
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm ... Looks like this car is going to do well in the market. I guess it will look much better in dark metallic colors like brown, black etc. In white i guess its not looking that great. Mahindra needs to launch it in some really cool colors so that it will be more attractive.

Looking at size, i guess its just below 4 m in length. So it will get the excise benefit. So get ready for the shocking price from M&M. I am sure they will surprise all with there pricing. IMHO it will be in between 5.5 to 7. Lets keep fingers crossed.
Old 17th September 2012, 11:46   #276
BHPian

i think it is a missed opportunity, even Rio looks more balanced and proportional design, going by the looks of the demo car. Mahindra took so long but still cut corners, they could have done something about the hight and adopting new xylo bonnet and grill wasn't difficult, perhaps they wanted to differentiate it from new xylo.

Now lets look forward to the pricing, engine, NVH and handling mix.
Old 17th September 2012, 12:03   #277
Senior - BHPian

They could have at least added a black strip on the rear door (like the special edition Indica) to limit the monotony at the back

Width to height proportion is awful. You feel like stretching the vehicle sideways a bit
Old 17th September 2012, 12:07   #278
Distinguished - BHPian

It was always touted as a mini xylo. Everyone here knew that a chopped xylo was what it was going to be.
I, for one, did not expect a Keira Knightly to emerge from the xylo, and so it has not.
Expectations lowered, expectations met.
One thing is for sure though, prepare for this car to be ubiquitous.
For the indicated money, its ticking enough boxes for people to bypass the looks.
Old 17th September 2012, 12:57   #279
Senior - BHPian

Re: SCOOP Pics! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo

Hey there buddy,

Thanks a lot for your quick response, but my question was about the Renault 1.5 dCi engine that's currently being used by Mahindra in the Verito. Since there were speculations earlier about the possibility of this engine making it into the Quanto, I was curious to know about the technical details on it, like the kind of engine block (whether all-aluminium or cast iron) & the dry weight of it.

If you have any information about that engine, please do direct me towards it.

Drive safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
I dont know if the pdf posted on the earlier thread still exists, so for the benefit of our mates here below is the google search link. Open the PDF from team-bhp.com . The PDF explains in details how they arrived at this engine. And yeah it is a 185kg (dry weight) all aluminum block.

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=MU...ient=firefox-a

I have done some searching around the email id on the PDF and the PPT slides used by mahindra and this document seems to be original.
Old 17th September 2012, 16:15   #280
BHPian

I don't like it.

This is as despicable as the Indigo CS. It shouts of our Indian jugaad mentality and doesn't offer anything in terms of value engineering. Sorry if I have offended those who think "cutting the boot/vehicle to fit in the regulations" a brilliant idea, but this is what I feel.

This junk would in all probability be highly unstable because of the compromised dynamics and can put other users also at risk on highways.
Old 17th September 2012, 16:58   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
I beg to differ here, monthly sales target is fine, but what it will eat into is most of the hatchbacks (Diesel) for sure, and some sedans. Look at what duster has achieved at 10 lakhs plus OTR. The way it looks this will be a sub 8 Lakhs OTR and if it is below that lot of hatchbacks will take a hit. I predict a far bigger queue for this than the XUV 500 and Duster.
My View : its too rudimentary to take any sales from hatchbacks, if at all it does then it will be limited to rural market of hatchbacks that too if its priced competitive

being 7 seater it can always snatch numbers for bolero
Old 17th September 2012, 19:09   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I guess it will look much better in dark metallic colors like brown, black etc. In white i guess its not looking that great. Mahindra needs to launch it in some really cool colors so that it will be more attractive

+ 1 to this.

There is an ungainly gap in the upper lip between the front grille and engine hood, which will get masked better in black.
Old 17th September 2012, 20:39   #283
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely a design disaster the Premier Rio has better proportioned looks, sad to say what was Mahindra design team thinking (maybe just cost) while chopping the Xylo (Another eye sore).
Old 18th September 2012, 08:26   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
.......are in the market for diesel cars in the price-range of 5-8 lakhs and they are not giving the Quanto a second look. Heck, they don't see value in a car like the Duster, for what it offers. They said they'd still buy a sedan or a larger hatchback............
It's also worthy to note that there were a few cars launched earlier that fit well in this segment and haven't really done well. The Fusion, for example.
Hmmm Suhaas, No offence, but am bit curious here, any particular reason why hatches/sedan are better than these MUVs ? in what parameters ? is the riding, handling, comfort, safety, looks ? MUVs offer more space and comfort, and yes, though the handling/riding is tad lower than the high end hatches/sedans, i guess it can't be really bad in these MUVs or is there some other factors ?
Old 18th September 2012, 10:18   #285
Senior - BHPian

I liked the tall seating and the theatre like seats in Xylo. I don't find this vehicle to be ugly or bad. Sure in turning it will require less speeds for being stable, but in city or even highways, the tall seating is very much welcome.

Finally after about a year and a half we are finally seeing the Quanto test vehicle. Hope it proves that the wait was worthwhile!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed