Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2012, 09:57   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Scoop! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo. EDIT : Launched !!!

Mod Note : Team-BHP's Mahindra Quanto Official Review has been uploaded at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the review thread.

• Badged as the QUANTO. This continues with Mahindra's tradition of UV names ending with an "o" (Bolero, Xylo, Scorpio etc.).

• Looks far better than the regular Xylo which has an ungainly rear end. Here, the design is tighter.

• Launch in the 3rd or 4th week of September 2012.

• Spare wheel mounted on the tail-gate to give it an "SUV" look, rather than MUV.

• 7 seater version confirmed! 3rd row of seats are the side-folding type and entry is from the tail-gate. They get butterfly windows (as seen in the pictures below).

• Length is less than 4 meters - without the spare wheel - thus, the mini-Xylo falls in the lower 12% excise slab. India's first <4 meter MUV.

• Zero luggage space with 7 passengers. Fold the 3rd row away for cargo.

• 1.5L common-rail diesel engine confirmed.

• Shock pricing strategy starting at 5 - 6 lakhs for the base. Development costs were minimal, as it's based on the 3 year old Xylo. Then, there is the smaller (cheaper) engine and lower excise duties. Mahindra badly wants the mini-Xylo to succeed as the full size Xylo has had an ordinary market run (~2,300 units per month).

• The vehicle is now ready for production.

• Interiors to benefit from the improvements of the facelift Xylo (Link)

• Top variant gets ABS, airbags, 6-spoke alloy wheels, steering-mounted audio controls, bluetooth compatibility, height-adjustable driver's seat, reverse parking assist, adjustable lumbar support and center armrest for driver & front passenger. Maybe leather seats & voice commands too.

• Full credit to Kaps for providing these pictures.

Scoop! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo. EDIT : Launched !!!-1.jpg

Scoop! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo. EDIT : Launched !!!-2.jpg

Scoop! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo. EDIT : Launched !!!-3.jpg

Interior Pic Credit Motorbeam.com
Scoop! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo. EDIT : Launched !!!-mahindra_xylo_compact_mpv_dashboard.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 8th October 2012 at 10:14. Reason: Updating launch period
GTO is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:31   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Scoop! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo. EDIT : Launched !!!

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a crazy price! Pray its so!
Ertiga and Nissan gonna face the heat I guess.
Will wait for ride quality report. Wonder what Tata has to say about this now !

Interesting to note only MM is giving us what we need ( and at a nice price) when we have other Indian and International automobile manufacturers here!
jkdas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:45   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Cant make out much with all the man shaped cutouts mahindra have put, but this seems to be a much more handsome vehicle.
And how much of a visual impact the spare mounted on the hatch makes!!
5.xx lacs? So the diesel would presumably be OTR under 8L( I hope). This oughta be good.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

This will be an interesting segment to watch.
The Quanto seems to slot right into the Wagon R plus - ERTIGA minus gap, a niche so far not explored, with the added bonus of an SUV'-ish look and occasional seven seats.
With Mahindra's wide distribution network and reasonable running costs this car can take some sales away from existing hatch players.
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:47   #6
BHPian

Awesome! Thanks for the scoop GTO sir! This seriously looks good. Wasn't expecting much from the first sightings that were posted on the forum. But M & M have delivered!

Will the "Quanto" be FWD like all the other mini-UV's?? Any idea?
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

So it looked like a bread-box on wheels earlier and now they have shortened it. I think it will look uglier and but I also think it will be an instantaneous hit. Seating capacity of 5+2, high GC and sensible pricing is bound to make it attractive to anyone willing to sacrifice on looks. I think Tata will take the biggest hit from this.
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:53   #8
BHPian

Thanks GTO. I like the front. Looks very aggressive. Can't complain much about the plain jane interiors considering the killer pricing M&M is offering this at. M&M has been bang on to catch the pulse of the Indian consumer and deliver EXACTLY what they want at an affordable price. This one is gonna fly off the shelves too.I feel sorry for Tata's who are going from bad to worse. Here is M&M giving us an aggressive and good looking MUV, whereas Tata's, who had the best looking SUV with them (read Safari) , have made a mess of it.

Waiting for the launch and official pricing.
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

I am quite impressed.
The price seems very mouth watering.
For some reason I have a strong feeling the hood seems to be slightly more raised than the current Xylo. Do we take that as a sign of engine being changed, I dont think they will tinker with the powertrain.
Then why is the hood slightly more bulky in Quanto compared to Xylo. Anyway awesome pics, thanks
xingamazon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:56   #10
BHPian

But why Mahindra has carried on the Old Xylo Headlamps? IMO the refreshed ones with flatter bonnet looks much better!

With this height and shortened wheel base, won't the car become more prone to body roll and topple?
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 11:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

quite perplexing why mahindra didnt use the revised front end and the updated interiors of the Xylo refresh for this one. If anything, this is one vehicle hich has a hg epotential to shake up the market, so Mahindra should have put their best foot forward here.
Old 22nd August 2012, 11:00   #12
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Scoop GTO. I hope the mini Xylo looks good in flesh too. Somehow, the front looks like a cartoon character with a big head on a small body.

Being a 7 seater and Rs. 5.xx kind of pricing for the base version, this will steal many customers from the hatch and sedan segment.
Old 22nd August 2012, 11:03   #13
BHPian

nice name Quanto - it sounds much better than the Xylo. I liked the wheel cover. I hope they price it correctly and they have an very successful vehicle.
Old 22nd August 2012, 11:08   #14
BHPian

That's a nice scoop. The prices are aggressive. Is the wheel base the same as Xylo or smaller?

I travelled in a Xylo last week from Chandigarh to Amritsar, and I am sure I will never travel again in one. It travels like a boat with sideways movement even on flat roads at speeds on 50-60Kmph. I believe if the wheel base is shorter, then the boat like ride will only get accentuated with the height being the same.
Old 22nd August 2012, 11:09   #15
BHPian

GTO, thanks as usual for sharing!!

Couldn't really make out how it looks from the way those images were edited. But from the earlier pics which were floating on the other forum, it looked just like any other xylo which chopped the rear overhang in the neighbhourhood garage.

But seeing the way this one is priced, and with 1.5l CRDE engine, I think this is going to hit the sales high too. It this one get accepted in the market, it might take M&M to a new level after all the hipe and high XUV 500 has given.

Looking forward for more info on the pricing and other details though.

r-six
Closed Thread

Most Viewed