Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2012, 14:13   #61
BHPian

re: Scoop! Mahindra Quanto : The Mini-Xylo. EDIT : Launched !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post

EDIT: I kept this out of my post, but on afterthought I should rather add it. " Quanto looks like a Xylo dwarf to me".
I also agree with this. Again the looks are subjective.
For me, the Xylo looks bad, and this looks ugly to me. As everybody had told, the pricing is the most crucial.
Also, if they price it too cheaply, it might be a hit in the taxi segment. But then will private owners look to buy this if its image is that of a taxi.
It might go in Logan's way.
And, If they price it not so cheaply, then will it be a VFM product?
Old 23rd August 2012, 14:35   #62
Senior - BHPian

Those who think it'll click well in the taxi segment; I am guessing that you may be proved wrong by the Taxiwallahs for the following reason:

1. They would not buy a mini SUV (with an assumption - SUV = Mehenga or Expensive)
2. No Boot space whatsoever.
3. Tall stance = Unstable ride and also uncomfortable for the passengers.
4. A lot of Cabbies I know went for the Xylo and regretted their decisions and switched to Innova again. Reason - Palti khata hai (Turns turtle because of height)!
Old 23rd August 2012, 14:44   #63
BHPian

Judging by the heigh of the vehicle, i reckon it is still and ergonomic disaster. However, the price tag will bing the XUV500 orders down; which is a smart move by M&M.
I, also, noticed a platic mould around the gear lever. wonder? - And, the cup holders seem to be too close to the passenger seat.
Old 23rd August 2012, 15:00   #64
BHPian

Given its dimensions, and Quanto being a 7 seater, I would guess this will have minimal storage space in the boot.

Will the same arguement of "store duffel bags under the seat" that applied for Xylo apply to this?

What is with many new 7 seater cars having minimal storage area?
Old 23rd August 2012, 15:42   #65
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
Given its dimensions, and Quanto being a 7 seater, I would guess this will have minimal storage space in the boot.

Will the same arguement of "store duffel bags under the seat" that applied for Xylo apply to this?

What is with many new 7 seater cars having minimal storage area?
This is basically a 5 seater with storage space with the last row down. The last row will be for short city runs only. Works for me. If I wanted a mini bus, I would have looked elsewhere.

This looks like a great weekender vehicle! The pricing will make or break it...but I can already sense a sly smirk across Anand Mahinda's face

Last edited by NIP : 23rd August 2012 at 15:45.
Old 23rd August 2012, 16:21   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Those who think it'll click well in the taxi segment; I am guessing that you may be proved wrong by the Taxiwallahs for the following reason:
I agree. First of all it is not a seven seater by any stretch of imagination. The last row is just a gimmic. It doesn't have a cab forward design and is under 4 m in length. Ertiga makes a much better seven seater for taxi segment than the quanto.

Only thing which would entice taxiwallas to go for this would be the price. But if it is a 5 seater that you need (which is what you will be getting with quanto), then they have already got an option in the Indica. Added advantages of a compact SUV isn't something the average taxi wallah would be looking for.

This seems a better bet for the private customers who would want a small go-anywhere car for his weekend escapades that also can be used effectively within the city.
Old 23rd August 2012, 16:32   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skartik2 View Post
Would it be a good idea to sell my 2009 Indica Vista TDi and get the Quanto (pre-launch in 20 days based on thread info.)?

My requirement is 5 people space, decent FE and safe vehicle.

what say guys?
Even i have a tdi and my criteria is also the same, decent space and good comfort for people accompanying me. And i am also planning to upgrade .
For me , its the tata storme and only storme. Its a kind of dream vehicle for me.
So, when you are upgrading, try to go in for your dream vehicle. When i purchased tdi, i always wanted to buy the Manza but did not buy as i had a home loan and prepaying that extra money was always much more useful.
Now, with that burden off my head, i want to buy my Safari, even if i have to take some loan, at least my home is secured.

Most of the times, the first vehicle that we buy is a kind of compromise, but the second vehicle is the one which we actually want to own.
Old 23rd August 2012, 17:10   #68
Senior - BHPian

If the base model is 5-5.5 lacs exshowroom, M&M Have a winner. People looking for a hatchback might also upgrade to Quanto. Good hatches set you back by 6-7 lacs today. an SUV at 6 lacs onroad is lucrative.

SAles will be added by the Taxi market, Where a cabbie wants to upgrade his ageing Indica and Sumo. I for one would buy it.

I am eagerly looking out for whether safety features are available on the Quanto

Last edited by scopriobharath : 23rd August 2012 at 17:38.
Old 23rd August 2012, 21:12   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post

Autocar picture gives a very good idea of the car:

Attachment 973451
IMO this car wins the ugliest proportions award hands down.

Frankly, I'll be surprised if this 'thing' becomes a hit. IMHO someone hungry for an SUV/MUV at this price point better get a Thar or a Bolero.
Old 23rd August 2012, 22:32   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
But if it is a 5 seater that you need (which is what you will be getting with quanto), then they have already got an option in the Indica.
5 Seater taxis are disappearing from villages. My Village used to have 6/7 HM/Indigos, right now, not a single one available. All are Innova/Tavera/Sumo. 5 Seater taxi will be restricted to citys (Railway stations/Airports) in few years, so i do not see huge demand for 5 seater taxis in the future based on my observation at my village.
Old 23rd August 2012, 22:44   #71
BHPian

I'm sure that quanto will be a roaring success, if they present a niggle free product. As they have already taken a long time to build it, i assume that it will be a good product.

As for taxis, since the quanto will have lower mileage and higher cost, taxi operators are not likely to shift from Indica and Indigo to it.

Spending Rs 6 lacs + on Swift, vista, ritz or Polo diesel doesn't make sense if you can get Quanto for the same or lower price.
Old 23rd August 2012, 23:13   #72
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra will never ever get the front Grille right.
Ever.
Wonder if they consult the same design house as the Toyota.

Sadly in India it will sell.
Old 23rd August 2012, 23:51   #73
BHPian

So finally it is going to be launched shortly .

After closely following three threads, mini xylo i.e. now 'Quanto' - sound better than xylo IMO - Duster and Ecosport I am feeling like only Quanto will provide us the cheapest option (out of the three).

Few important points in my opinion,

We should not compare Quanto with hatchbacks or sedans as this is a different segment vehicle and anyone who loves UV's (MUV's or SUV's) should only consider this as an alternative - as it has been discussed in Duster thread, requirements satisfied by these two segments are totally different.

After keeping car's (sedans and hatchbacks) out of scope this looks like the VFM MUV . Considering the UV segment, a diesel small UV (practically 5 seater) starting at @ 6 lacks that to from a company which has given us good UV's at least in the past sounds the best (cheapest) practical alternative.

after so much of praise of Quanto I will be definitely looking for two aspects in GTO's extensive review, firstly about the handling where it seems that Duster has set a benchmark - difficult to be achieve by home grown UV's - and the reliability - niggling issues - of the vehicle.

Looking at facts that this vehicle is having height similar to xylo and the Body-over-frame design I don't expect the handling will improve much. But then looking at the time taken by Mahindra to test the vehicle I will be expecting far better relibility from Quanto.

So friends happy waiting - last phase (last but the most difficult phase) and I hope Mahindra will not keep us waiting much after launch for GTO's review - like Renault had stretched our patience.
Old 24th August 2012, 01:22   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skartik2 View Post
Would it be a good idea to sell my 2009 Indica Vista TDi and get the Quanto (pre-launch in 20 days based on thread info.)?

My requirement is 5 people space, decent FE and safe vehicle.

what say guys?
Please dont rush! Wait for the launch & TD the car, then take a call. You might be happy with your Vista itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
After using xylo for nearly 4 years and clocking 90K kms, the maintenance is pretty expensive. I shell around an average of 5K every 5000 service...
That's pretty much within the segment standards [costs] I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post
... IMHO someone hungry for an SUV/MUV at this price point better get a Thar or a Bolero.
Does Thar or Bolero has all the features, creature comfort, quality of materials used, ease of drive that the Quanto is expected to deliver, especially for the urban class [and also for most of the rural class] as a daily ride? Well, we all for sure know what's Quanto's USP compared to Thar or the Bolero! I find Quanto a much more sensible [and affordable with the speculated price] option than Thar or Bolero, as a daily ride which could replace my current "car" and be my "SUV" too!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 24th August 2012 at 01:25.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2012, 01:51   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Does Thar or Bolero has all the features, creature comfort, quality of materials used, ease of drive that the Quanto is expected to deliver, especially for the urban class [and also for most of the rural class] as a daily ride? Well, we all for sure know what's Quanto's USP compared to Thar or the Bolero! I find Quanto a much more sensible [and affordable with the speculated price] option than Thar or Bolero, as a daily ride which could replace my current "car" and be my "SUV" too!

+1 I was about to mention that. Quanto is supposed to be a compact UV whereas the Thar and Bolero are not. Quanto is expected to be a much more upmarket offering than both these products. Not to mention easier to drive and live with in the city and can do the odd trip to hinterland too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naren_L View Post
Few important points in my opinion,

We should not compare Quanto with hatchbacks or sedans as this is a different segment vehicle and anyone who loves UV's (MUV's or SUV's) should only consider this as an alternative - as it has been discussed in Duster thread, requirements satisfied by these two segments are totally different.

We cant exactly refrain from comparing the quanto with the Hatchbacks. Reason being the price. In India most of the time shopping is done by price. People tend to look at what all things the product provides at a price point. So if the Quanto can achieve most of what a Hatchback at that price point does plus the added benefit of being a UV, then comparisons are bound to occur.

Infact the idea of having crossovers is exactly that. To offer people the best of both worlds. To give Sedan Handling lovers the advantage of an SUV and SUV lovers the handling and creature comforts of sedans with small compromises in both.

In case of Compact UVs the comparison becomes hatches instead of sedans.

Last edited by vibbs : 24th August 2012 at 01:58.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed