Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2013, 14:56   #271
Team-BHP Support

re: Nissan's Duster-based SUV, the Terrano: Full Pics are out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Why not the Juke instead of the Terrano? Is it because the diesel mill cannot be fitted on to it?
Attachment 1118771
My guess is that the Juke would be too expensive to assemble. The level of investment required to manufacture a brand new car based on a different and new platform might be too expensive to produce at the moment. When there is a platform readily available, why not make use of it? It's a saving. And it's all about keeping costs down at the end of the day.

The good news is that the Terrano will be the last product that will be made under this agreement.

My guess is that a proper distinction will be created among the three brands (Datsun, Nissan, Renault - in order) once the company has a proper foothold in the market.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 15:10   #272
BHPian

Terrano being unveiled on August 20. It'll be interesting to see where they price it as they refer to it as a 'premium compact SUV'
djpeesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 16:00   #273
Senior - BHPian

Nissan to launch Terrano SUV on 20th August

Link to News Section

Nissan will unveil the Terrano SUV in India, on the 20th of August, 2013. The Terrano, which is a badge engineered product, is based on the Renault Duster SUV. Therefore, the SUV will share the production line with the Duster, in Renault-Nissan's joint manufacturing facility at Oragadam.

Nissan's Duster-based SUV, the Terrano: Full Pics are out!-nissan-terrano-suv-1.jpg

The Terrano features styling that's different from that of the Duster and Nissan revealed styling details of the SUV a couple of weeks ago, by releasing two official sketches. The Terrano is expected to be priced and positioned above the Renault Duster, a typical practice that Renault and Nissan follow when they badge engineer each others' cars.

Meanwhile, Nissan CEO, Mr Kenichiro Yomura, has noted that the Terrano will be the last badge engineered product in the Indian car market, as far as Nissan is concerned. The Terrano's launch should come well in time for the Indian festive season, giving Nissan enough breathing space to align production levels to meet demand.

Rumours floating about on the internet suggest that the Terrano will be offered with three engine options, which the SUV will borrow from the Renault Duster. The Duster is available with a 1.6 liter-102 Bhp petrol engine and a 1.5 liter K9K turbo diesel engine in two states of tune: 85 Bhp-200 Nm and 108 Bhp-248 Nm.

Nissan's Duster-based SUV, the Terrano: Full Pics are out!-nissan-terrano-suv-2.jpg

The Duster's variants are outfitted with 5 speed and 6 speed gearbox options, and these transmissions are expected to be carried over to the Terrano as well. While the Duster sold in India is front wheel driven, Renault India does build a four wheel drive model for the export markets.

As Nissan is expected to launch the Terrano in India at a price greater than that of the Duster, a four wheel drive option for the SUV could be a differentiating factor. However, the addition of a four wheel drive option to the Terrano could push the price well and above Mahindra XUV500 territory.

With the Ford EcoSport crossover changing the pricing dynamics of the Indian compact SUV market, it would be interesting to see how Nissan walks the pricing tightrope for the Terrano. Better interiors and a richer feature set are two major expectations that prospective buyers will have from the Nissan Terrano, especially if the SUV is priced above the Renault Duster.

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st August 2013 at 17:44. Reason: Changing "launch" to "unveiling".
JayPrashanth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 16:43   #274
BHPian

I do like the Terrano design better than the Duster. Somehow it looks a bit "meaner".

But I don't think it would be a wise decision to price it above 12 Lakh.

Let's see what they will do after the launch of Ecosport
Old 1st August 2013, 16:44   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Terrano being unveiled on August 20. It'll be interesting to see where they price it as they refer to it as a 'premium compact SUV'
I feel that there is a slot/gap for a well made (if not premium) SUV between 15-20 lakhs. If Terrano has significantly better interior, optional 4WD (even though the numbers will be very limited but it adds to the aura), has few additional features (ACC, steering mounted controls etc), then it fits the slot very well. But with that kind of pricing, it can only sell in hundreds and not thousands.
Old 1st August 2013, 16:55   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I feel that there is a slot/gap for a well made (if not premium) SUV between 15-20 lakhs. If Terrano has significantly better interior, optional 4WD (even though the numbers will be very limited but it adds to the aura), has few additional features (ACC, steering mounted controls etc), then it fits the slot very well. But with that kind of pricing, it can only sell in hundreds and not thousands.
The plastics inside Duster looks very cheap. Each and every small piece made with cost cutting in mind. I don't think there will be entire make over between Duster and Terrano as they expected to share same production line / parts as much as possible. In that sense, Terrano never can be positioned as premium.
Old 1st August 2013, 17:05   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
The plastics inside Duster looks very cheap. Each and every small piece made with cost cutting in mind. I don't think there will be entire make over between Duster and Terrano as they expected to share same production line / parts as much as possible. In that sense, Terrano never can be positioned as premium.
As we could gather from the spyshots, there are changes like the AC vents, hood on the instrument cluster etc. Changes are definitely there but the question is the degree, which we will only come to know on 20th . I guess the modern assembly lines are flexible enough to accommodate these changes. In any case, the 2 cars wont be on the assembly line simultaneously. There will be different batches.
Old 1st August 2013, 19:07   #278
R.G
BHPian

Considering Duster itself is priced above than what it should ideally be , Terrano should have a minimal price difference from Duster to make itself successful in the market.

Based on the what I understood from this thread, Terrano will either be an expensively modded Duster or a cheap replica of Qashqai / Dualis.

That said ,Nissan will have a great product if the vehicle rides like Duster and have better equipment list and interior for a fair price.
Old 1st August 2013, 20:59   #279
BHPian

This could go the Vento/Rapid way. potential XUV buyers who do not like the Q issues with XUV, or want a smaller (economical) engine or a "foreign" car will be benefited. Some sedan buyers might also look for it, however sedans (C2 category) will need to stretch 30% atleast, something that is difficult now a days. The newness might also be a small factor, but the novelty wears off soon.
Anyways, do you see a strong, new value proposition?
Old 2nd August 2013, 03:00   #280
BHPian

I recently got hold of Nissan's Event brief to its agencies for 20th August at Mumbai... Im sad to discover that it reads 'Not a 4x4 but gives a feeling of one'... Now, WTH Nissan!

This comes as a major shock to me, since I was waiting for it strictly coz I thought it will be a 4x4 or atleast an AT.

They simply want to promote it as a 'Luxury & Premium' SUV for everyday city use and for occasional adventure.

Totally disappointed... hoping they change their mind.
zen kobane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 07:50   #281
BHPian

I understand that as per the agreement between the manufactureres, Terrano will be proced higher than Duster, but I think it is going to be a disaster; unless (a big improbable unless) Duster's prices are reduced and Terrano falls somewhere in the current Duster price range.

Duster is too expensive now and already the top end is in XUV range. Terrano being priced higher than that, meaning a non 4x4 model will also be in the XUV range. IT simply will not work. IMHO it could only have worked if Duster's priciing was in the "value for money" range.

Taking an example to make my point - Sunny's pricing to begin with was acceptable. If Sunny was priced 1-1.5L higher, and Scala even higher - it would have been difficult to sell.
Old 2nd August 2013, 08:40   #282
Senior - BHPian

Terrano priced higher than Duster will be another one of the long flop shows in Nissan's unenviable list of releases.

Already Duster sales have slowed down - 3K this month - lowest ever - due to a very well spec'ed EcoSport, and thanks to Renault getting greedy with their success and hiking the prices. IMHO (and seeing the pattern of posts here - others as well) Duster is an overpriced car in this segment.

On the plus side, et them launch, wait for 6 months to suffer lackluster sales, and then drop a lac like the did with Evalia and Micra. After all, this is becoming a pattern for Nissan.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 2nd August 2013 at 08:42.
Old 2nd August 2013, 08:48   #283
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen kobane View Post
They simply want to promote it as a 'Luxury & Premium' SUV for everyday city use and for occasional adventure.
Nissan is evaluating Qashqai SUV for India as their luxury Crossover to sit a notch above the Terrano in the company’s Indian line-up, so the Terranao is 'budget SUV' as per Nissan!

http://www.autocarindia.com/News/352...for-india.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd August 2013 at 08:51.
Old 2nd August 2013, 08:49   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen kobane View Post
'Not a 4x4 but gives a feeling of one'

This is indeed sad, Nissan. Trying to hog wash customers never worked in the Indian market. Further, I might have to think whether there is any vested interest by a faction inside the company to bring on the Terrano, just to fail?

It is as clear as daylight that Duster is overpriced; and Nissan, you think that you can get a pie of Duster by pricing the Terrano higher? Whose logic is this?

I'm awaiting the July sales figure of Duster vs Ecosport, to comment further on this.
Old 2nd August 2013, 09:48   #285
Senior - BHPian

I'm wondering why does a sheet metal job make it 70K more expensive to Duster. Also, i think the 70k difference probably will be for the lowest trim and would probably go up a bit on the top end.

So hoping against hope that Terrano comes in with more equipment as standard than the Duster meaning the top end has all that we have wanted in Duster but haven't got - better ergonomics, longer list of features, 4x4 etc (everything except good build quality i guess).

Basically it becomes an alternative to Duster if nothing else. Its only hope to sell at that kind of price point, at least until the Ecosport has super long waiting periods & XA Alpha becomes a reality.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 2nd August 2013 at 09:51.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks