Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2015, 11:49   #931
BHPian

re: The 2015 Honda Jazz (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
For guys thinking the Jazz will come with the 1.5 i-VTEC engine , seem to now be a distant dream.

Excerpts from the interview the VP -Marketing,
Well volkman, that almost puts the hopes and wishes of some of us to rest.

Everyone knows that a petrol engine greater than 1.2L will not qualify for small cars. We do not need Mr Sen to educate or enlighten us with that information. But isn't that reason pretty absurd considering their countrymen Toyota give us the Sportivo version with a 1.5 L petrol? So it is not that NO one is giving. He also cannot say that the demand is less. TSi is pretty well received (for a pricey German car with reliability issues) and a stylish and desirable Japanese car (so Liva is out) will have better reception for sure.

The real issue here is pricing. Honda will not be able to give the Jazz 1.5 i-VTEC to us as a reasonable pricing (i.e. 7.5 lakhs ex-showroom). The top-end manual 1.2L i-VTEC itself will cross 7 lakhs for sure and auto will touch 8 lakhs. The 1.5 i-VTEC will cross 8 for manual and will be around 9 if they were to give a CVT, considering higher duties and costs associated with a bigger engine. At this price, the demand will be too low to consider production. But all said, Honda should at least have tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiGolden View Post
Quoting from the same interview.

"The Styling, Look, Performance and high Versatility will be key differentiator from its competitors."

Does "high versatility" mean Magic seats?
Haha. Dont believe the marketing guys. Tomorrow they will tell "We give 60:40 split in the top-end model which gives you high versatility. The Boot is also 350L which is class leading improving practicality and versatility". But then, let us keep speculating till we have all the details. What fun if there is no speculations. I am loving this forum for all this!!!

Last edited by Vigkey : 12th May 2015 at 11:52.
Vigkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 13:21   #932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
The real issue here is pricing. Honda will not be able to give the Jazz 1.5 i-VTEC to us as a reasonable pricing (i.e. 7.5 lakhs ex-showroom). The top-end manual 1.2L i-VTEC itself will cross 7 lakhs for sure and auto will touch 8 lakhs. The 1.5 i-VTEC will cross 8 for manual and will be around 9 if they were to give a CVT, considering higher duties and costs associated with a bigger engine. At this price, the demand will be too low to consider production. But all said, Honda should at least have tried.
I think that there is a possibility of Honda launching RS variant of Jazz with 1.5L engine without CVT. To some extent the cost of having a CVT will kind of offset the cost of additional excise duty. For enthusiast, a powerful engine with manual transmission would be more of a delight rather than auto transmission.
Old 12th May 2015, 13:30   #933
BHPian

Quote:
The top-end manual 1.2L i-VTEC itself will cross 7 lakhs for sure and auto will touch 8 lakhs.
How will Honda compete with the segment leader Elite i20 if the top end is offered at the same price point (as i20) but minus the sheer number of features offered. What are the significant advantages it offers over Elite i20 ? I can think of two; more boot and interior space but nothing more. Is it just the Honda name that we pay this premium for?

I have a feeling Jazz will be priced lower than the Elite i20 this time around. Might not be a whole lot lower but I think in the range of 25-30K ex showroom. So the manual tranny top end will end up being atleast (25K) less than 7L is my bet.
Old 12th May 2015, 14:22   #934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
I think that there is a possibility of Honda launching RS variant of Jazz with 1.5L engine without CVT. To some extent the cost of having a CVT will kind of offset the cost of additional excise duty. For enthusiast, a powerful engine with manual transmission would be more of a delight rather than auto transmission.
Even if they plan to have a Jazz RS with 1.5 i-VTEC, I dont think they will do it immediately. Especially after reading the interview. I am fine with a manual also if I get the 1.5 i-VTEC, CVT will be sweet though, considering our ever-growing traffic. But will Honda risk the "pricey" tag for Jazz - ONCE AGAIN? Have to wait to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashua View Post
How will Honda compete with the segment leader Elite i20 if the top end is offered at the same price point (as i20) but minus the sheer number of features offered. What are the significant advantages it offers over Elite i20 ? I can think of two; more boot and interior space but nothing more. Is it just the Honda name that we pay this premium for?
Honda managed to price the City very close to segment leader Verna and took the crown quite easily and comfortably. But then, they gave a lot of features. Now, compared to i20, what features will be missing in the Jazz?
  • Key-less entry and go. Jazz will only have key-less entry
  • 16" wheels with wider tires.
  • Reverse sensors - Jazz will have only reverse camera
  • Rear AC vents
  • Telescopic steering
  • Lot of spoon-feeding stuff (useless IMO) like service reminders, warning of steering is not straight
  • Probably a better ride
What is Jazz giving extra?
  • Touch screen HU with Navigation
  • Touch screen ACC - Only for the gadget freak
  • Loads of extra space inside and in boot - Magic seats probably
  • Safety features in most (if not all) variants
  • Efficient CVT box option
  • Instant FE, Average FE, Distance to empty
  • Stub type antenna
  • Better steering + better handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashua View Post
I have a feeling Jazz will be priced lower than the Elite i20 this time around. Might not be a whole lot lower but I think in the range of 25-30K ex showroom. So the manual tranny top end will end up being atleast (25K) less than 7L is my bet.
So all in all, IMO, it pretty much balances out. So Yes, it can be priced a little lower or a little higher. IMO, Honda can price Jazz at a i20 + or - 20k range and can still get desired numbers.
Vigkey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 15:57   #935
@KP
BHPian

I had read somewhere that AMT increases the vehicle cost only by 45-50K. Not sure about CVT. let's say its around 70-80K.

What is the price increase of 1.2 to 1.5L mill ? 1L, perhaps? So, overall, if the 1.2L iVTEC top end costs roughly around 7L ex-showroom, 1.5l iVTEC with CVT should cost around 8.8 - 9L ex-showroom which should work out to just above 10.5 L OTR, which in my opinion should be okay.

But then hey, what about the increase in tax because it's no longer a small car !! And suddenly I now see why 1.5L with CVT will not exactly fly out of the showrooms !!

Last edited by @KP : 12th May 2015 at 15:59.
Old 12th May 2015, 16:22   #936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @KP View Post
I had read somewhere that AMT increases the vehicle cost only by 45-50K. Not sure about CVT. let's say its around 70-80K.

What is the price increase of 1.2 to 1.5L mill ? 1L, perhaps? So, overall, if the 1.2L iVTEC top end costs roughly around 7L ex-showroom, 1.5l iVTEC with CVT should cost around 8.8 - 9L ex-showroom which should work out to just above 10.5 L OTR, which in my opinion should be okay.

But then hey, what about the increase in tax because it's no longer a small car !! And suddenly I now see why 1.5L with CVT will not exactly fly out of the showrooms !!
Not exactly KP. Even if Big car duty + cost for 1.5 i-VTEC + CVT makes the ex-showroom for Jazz around 9 lakhs (or manual for 8 lakhs), is not OK. That is considering the fact that a SV City manual is 8.8 lakhs and SV CVT is 9.8 lakhs. So you pay less than 1 lakh more and get a more accomplished sedan with a better snob value and brand recall and also better resale. Basically any version of Jazz coming into City territory will be suicidal.

I agree with your last statement. Even I am beginning to clearly see why a Jazz with 1.5 i-VTEC is not going to fly out of showrooms. What a shame

Last edited by Vigkey : 12th May 2015 at 16:24.
Vigkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 16:46   #937
@KP
BHPian

Exactly my thoughts !!

Jazz and City will have to do some cannibalistic sales into each other's markets (if they do introduce something like 1.5 iVTC CVT) and not sure if it is good for the overall strategy of Honda
Old 12th May 2015, 20:07   #938
BHPian

Is the 1.5 Vtec also mated to an auto tranny in the RS version available abroad?

Personally, I've never driven automatics but I find them a tad unappealing - be it traffic or on open roads.

Quote:
JishD, if you see the tweet from Honda, they have clearly mentioned Q2 of this FISCAL. So, I rest my case.
Indeed. Hence, a June launch is very likely.
Old 12th May 2015, 20:30   #939
BHPian

Surprisingly every auto site seems to have same questionnaire.

Following is Q&A with Jnaneshwar Sen on CarDekho

http://www.cardekho.com/india-car-ne...-ltd-15860.htm

I am a bit confused on his answer to the following question

5. What is the localization level in Honda Jazz and are there any plans to export?
A. It is our continuous effort to increase localization levels in all our models and we have been able to achieve more than 90% localization in most of our volume models. We are yet to ponder over the export aspect of the Honda Jazz.

They are already exporting India made Jazz to South Africa. Not sure if they are contemplating export to other countries
Old 12th May 2015, 20:42   #940
BHPian

So BHP-ians!!! As expected, Honda has confirmed that Jazz is coming this July

Please find the FB post from Honda confirming a July launch
Name:  Jazz_July.png
Views: 2935
Size:  538.1 KB
Vigkey is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th May 2015, 21:29   #941
BHPian

Honda really needs to price it within +50K of equivalent i20 in order to garner sales. The Jazz is by the look of it a larger car and Honda IMHO definitely has the brand power to command a 50K premium over Hyundai.

If this happens and a Honda Diesel V variant slips in under 10L on road in Bangalore, then count me in when I look to replace my 2nd gen City. Between a Petrol City V and a Diesel Jazz V in the same price range, I would be very tempted to look at the Jazz since it will cover pretty much everything that the City does except for the snob value of a sedan.

Last edited by prashanthyr : 12th May 2015 at 21:30.
Old 13th May 2015, 12:44   #942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
Honda really needs to price it within +50K of equivalent i20 in order to garner sales. The Jazz is by the look of it a larger car and Honda IMHO definitely has the brand power to command a 50K premium over Hyundai. If this happens and a Honda Diesel V variant slips in under 10L on road in Bangalore, then count me in when I look to replace my 2nd gen City.
+1. Honestly, I wouldn't mind paying about 50-70k more if the VX i-DTEC model comes with 6 balloons, which I don't think is going to happen. But, looking at Ford Aspire (I know they are in a different segment and this can't be an apple to apple comparison) which is offered with 6 airbags, I am only hoping against hope that this happens - somehow I am pretty sure this will not happen since even the elder brother City doesn't come with 6 airbags either.

Quote:
Between a Petrol City V and a Diesel Jazz V in the same price range, I would be very tempted to look at the Jazz since it will cover pretty much everything that the City does except for the snob value of a sedan.
For me, and I am not too sure if many will echo this thought, the practicality of a larger boot (300+liters) on a hatch is anyday more preferable than lugging around a boot in the city always. Well, but then, that's just me I guess.
Old 13th May 2015, 12:47   #943

Finally some good news for those eagerly waiting. IAB Confirms July launch of the much awaited Jazz.

http://indianautosblog.com/2015/05/2...-launch-178609
Old 13th May 2015, 13:54   #944
BHPian

Quote:
Honda really needs to price it within +50K of equivalent i20 in order to garner sales. The Jazz is by the look of it a larger car and Honda IMHO definitely has the brand power to command a 50K premium over Hyundai.
50k difference will be too much IMO considering that Jazz will miss some fancy features in i20 (Jazz will get some extra features, but that only neutralizes and does not give Jazz an advantage). A maximum premium of 20k is what I thought will be good. Anything more will not be really good for Jazz. The "over-priced" tag will never go from Jazz if Honda decides a 50k premium.

Quote:
If this happens and a Honda Diesel V variant slips in under 10L on road in Bangalore, then count me in when I look to replace my 2nd gen City. Between a Petrol City V and a Diesel Jazz V in the same price range, I would be very tempted to look at the Jazz since it will cover pretty much everything that the City does except for the snob value of a sedan.
IMO On-road, top-end diesel Jazz should not cross the price of base City or at max cross it by 15-20k. Anything more will again be suicidal. Petrol City V and Diesel Jazz V in the same range?? You might go, but the majority will opt for City - City is a more established brand, has unbeatable snob + resale value, has 100+L additional boot and the 1.5 i-VTEC is an AWESOME engine too. the two should not even come close IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboturtle View Post
+1. Honestly, I wouldn't mind paying about 50-70k more if the VX i-DTEC model comes with 6 balloons, which I don't think is going to happen. But, looking at Ford Aspire (I know they are in a different segment and this can't be an apple to apple comparison) which is offered with 6 airbags, I am only hoping against hope that this happens - somehow I am pretty sure this will not happen since even the elder brother City doesn't come with 6 airbags either.
Forget that turboturtle. No way Jazz is going to get 6-airbags, especially when City and it's direct competitor i20 does not get this option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diliprayar View Post
Finally some good news for those eagerly waiting. IAB Confirms July launch of the much awaited Jazz.
Hey buddy, not IAB, but Honda themselves have officially announced a July launch in their FB page and twitter handle. I have already posted the same a couple of posts ago with the image from Honda's FB page.

Last edited by Vigkey : 13th May 2015 at 14:19.
Old 13th May 2015, 16:14   #945
BHPian

As someone who bought the Jazz back in 2010 and since seen it cover 35K flawlessly, I can easily say this is a better car than the i20.

Had ABS + Airbags across the range, unlike i20 which gets 5 star for their highest version, but puts the 5 star sticker on every bloody variant. Not to mention vast expanses of plastic in that car. And until the Elite i20 came, the i20 was a rather ugly car, whereas the 1st gen Jazz is still a looker.

Jazz is a surprisingly low maintenance car, each service costing approx. Rs 2500/- only. City mileage 15 kmpl.

I haven't driven the Elite i20, but if the steering is the same as older models, then Jazz's steering itself is worth atleast Rs 50K premium Honda might charge on Jazz over i20.

cheers
lazy
lazy is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks