Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2019, 20:34   #406
BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
India friendly Horn Placement. Looks like the middle portion is static, and the Horn pads are at the edges, resembling paddle shifters.
sharktale is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 20:39   #407
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

After booking the Tiago JTP 4 weeks back, i became naturally inquisitive after hearing Tata would unravel their Prod spec Altroz in Geneva. Their slow reveal was so tempting that there was even a point when i considered cancelling the booking for the Altroz to hit the stores! Really glad, i didn't do that.

What appeared to be good in silhouette, turns out cheeky even bordering on brash in certain angles!

Hope they tone it down in actual vehicle, esp the gloss black around the rear light, is so obnoxious to look at!
Old 5th March 2019, 20:42   #408
BHPian

Come on Guys! Let us not write it off so fast. Heck even the Chiron does not look so pretty. There are some cars which look better in flesh. Lets wait to see how it looks in flesh especially near the bland Baleno and the smart i20.
rohitoasis is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 20:45   #409
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion, that is a poor choice of color chosen for showcasing the Altroz. If the car is 'funky', give her some funky colors. The design is not as clean as the Tiago, there are just too many elements on the body for my taste, but then the Nexon has it too, so I will reserve my opinion till I see it in flesh or a different color. I don't like chrome and piano black elements on golden shades anyway. The EV version looks better.

The Buzzard has a stepped roof after C pillar, that does remind us of something (Yup, the Safari)
NiInJa is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 20:52   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
Come on Guys! Let us not write it off so fast. Heck even the Chiron does not look so pretty. There are some cars which look better in flesh. Lets wait to see how it looks in flesh especially near the bland Baleno and the smart i20.
I was hoping it would be taking the Altroz to another level. May be they tone it down a bit. Also the wheel arches looked bigger than the wheels. May be a cross-over version might look better!!

I agree with some here - the EV version looks better.

The front quarter view probably is a tad better. Some how the tautness of external design slipped a bit in my view. The back lights could have been a bit sleeker.

Even the interiors were looking a bit busy than necessary. But who knows, there are many who like busy designs, and like quirky designs!!

For me I like an understated yet exciting design, for such designs live a bit longer, then again good design is to manage contradictions!!

Let's hope the final product might become a bit better.
Old 5th March 2019, 20:52   #411
Senior - BHPian

More space-age than timeless. Maybe one too many design elements to be even termed good-looking. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. You and I might not take an instant liking to it, yet, it has that in-your-face appeal that will captivate the wider Indian market.
MaserQ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 21:16   #412
BHPian

Tried to compare design of 45X with Altroz
And also with the segment king Baleno
Attached Thumbnails
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-comb05032019211309.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-comb05032019211211.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-comb05032019211053.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-comb05032019210932.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-comb05032019212809.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-comb05032019212838.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-comb05032019212912.jpg  

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-comb05032019212938.jpg  

Last edited by HarshGtR : 5th March 2019 at 21:33. Reason: Adding more images
HarshGtR is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 21:25   #413

Remember XUV 500? TBHP forum was full of severe criticism about the design and then came the price. Tata does not much room to play with price like Mahindra had with XUV500 but hey in the end all that matters is if it sells. Indian customer is not known to follow design patterns too much.

It is too early to comment on interiors i feel as the lighting on the expo floor is too harsh at times and too inadequate at others. The Black rear may as well be only for a select version or model.
MaGosen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 21:35   #414
BHPian

The kinks on the front bumper and the W-I-D-E wheel arches are not to my taste. Somehow I like the rear treatment of the sharply raked glass and the black strip running with the tail lamps. Don't know why but the glass area with black border reminds me a bit of the Brio (pardon my stupidity, my mind is playing tricks!). There seem to be 3 reflectors (maybe one is the rear fog lamp?) which is unjque.

The Blue of the EV looks ravishing while the Golden looks pale and fades in comparison. The choice of colors used on the Buzzard and Altroz are really weird. Both look like wraps more than having the sheen and gloss of high quality paint. This in a shiny well lit pavilion! Wonder how it will look like on the road.

In summary, have to take a look at the Altroz in person and my hunch is it will grow on people with time - but won't please all like the smart new i20.
digitalnirvana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 21:36   #415
BHPian

Contrary to public opinion, I actually feel this car looks quite cool. The black portions in the back would look quite nice on darker colors.
pavanmadhini is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 21:56   #416
Senior - BHPian

An endearingly original design from Tata after quite a few years, even the rear extension of the Buzzard (over Harrier) looks extremely original.
1100D is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 23:09   #417
BHPian

I like the way this car looks. What I don’t like is the colour, I personally think they should have made a better colour choice. I am happy they came out of the orange colour. But IMO both this and Buzzard has a bad colour choice for display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Did anybody notice the power spec of the engine, I feel it might be under powered for car of this size and segment.

Last edited by arvindmanju : 5th March 2019 at 23:10.
arvindmanju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 23:21   #418
BHPian

To each his own I guess, but I enjoyed watching the concepts turn into production level cars :-).
TML does not have strickers in their portfolio of new launches, although I feel that the Harrier is one hell of a looker. Heck, I can imagine a black coloured Harrier standing next to my Boss’s Black Jaguar Fpace . Anyways I feel that all the cars launched/displayed in Geneva, except for the concept H2X, are pretty decent designs and force you to have a second ‘dekko’. That may be good or bad for a brand which is trying to make its presence felt in the very competitive international automobiles industry. But I sort of like this approach of ‘ badnam honge toh kya naam na hoga’ which TML has taken. A road less travelled, A journey few have taken. I can go on ;-)
isldhn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 23:22   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
Did anybody notice the power spec of the engine, I feel it might be under powered for car of this size and segment.
The power unit is in Kilowatt and not in BHP

1kw = 1.34 BHP

So it's ~100 bhp which would make it best in segment along with segment best torque figure - 140 NM (beaten only by the GT TSI). So this motor will have more than enough punch.

The 1.2 Revotron in bolt had excellent low end drivability but lacked top end punch and I hope this engine addresses that while retaining Revotron's city friendly low end grunt. I was hoping the Altroz would get the same engine spec as Nexon, I still hope it's the case at least for top (XZ+) variant.

Noticed that the horn pad (switch) positioning is well thought of (extreme ends of the steering spokes). Ergonomically sound design that is accessible with the thumb without the need to stretch out.

The same has been spotted by BHPian sharktale earlier

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-1_578_872_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_galleries_20190305023958_altroz-interior-2.jpg

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 5th March 2019 at 23:46.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 23:24   #420
BHPian

The design might put many on the fence but if the car is going to produce a bit more than 100bhp with 140Nm and Tata somehow makes the turbo 3 cylinder engine smoother than, the kind of harsh, Nexon engine I think it will change our minds.
Anyone noticed that there is only an Eco button below the gear lever and no Sports button. Guess it's like in the Tiago. I honestly think the car will grab eyes easily with the fantastic Blue used on the EV but yea the golden kinda colour they used is not great and the over done black in the back could have been avoided but this is a Modern Tata that primarily wants to stand out from a boring crowd. Atleast it's not as bland to look at as the Baleno.
Also another thing is the fully black interior, it looks so dark with the lighting in the arena, the EV again has a better colour choice with dual tone colours.
Sam_GTR is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed