Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2019, 18:44   #496
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Tata Altroz EV unlikely to be priced under ₹ 10 lakh,

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-1.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-2.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-3.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th March 2019 at 18:46.
volkman10 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 19:48   #497
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobliss View Post
Zigwheels says the petrol will be NA. Never thought the engine in Tiago could be tuned to that level.
Two petrol engines 1.2 NA and 1.2 Turbo petrol along with a detuned 1.5 diesel, according to Autocar.
discoverwild is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2019, 16:08   #498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Two petrol engines 1.2 NA and 1.2 Turbo petrol along with a detuned 1.5 diesel, according to Autocar.
But some say there will be no diesel. Why can't Tata just release the power train details. They can play the suspense game where it's needed but this is becoming really annoying, because whether or not I should consider this car depends on the availability of a diesel.
Old 9th March 2019, 17:34   #499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
But some say there will be no diesel. Why can't Tata just release the power train details. They can play the suspense game where it's needed but this is becoming really annoying, because whether or not I should consider this car depends on the availability of a diesel.
The car is not due for a few more months. So you will have to wait in any case, if you want the Altroz. You might have to wait till the festival season. Have patience.

Small diesel engines don't seem to be making sense for the price when the BS6 norms come in. Almost all companies are removing the diesel options from their hatchbacks.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 08:48   #500
BHPian

So the common perception is that the design albeit a bit quirky is quite good and fresh but Tata's choice of color for the display vehicles was dreadful across the board.
Well, wait till Tata floods all the media drive, test drive and display vehicles of the same gold-green whatever color for the Altroz and that God-awful light blue for the Buzzard just like they did with the Harrier (calisto-copper anyone), you never know you might hate it even more
Old 10th March 2019, 08:58   #501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nit7 View Post
Well, wait till Tata floods all the media drive, test drive and display vehicles of the same gold-green whatever color for the Altroz and that God-awful light blue for the Buzzard just like they did with the Harrier (calisto-copper anyone), you never know you might hate it even more
I've spotted 2 customer Harriers till today and both were Calisto Copper. We do not prefer it, but there are many people who like it.

I do not like the Altroz' design, especially the dashboard - so many cuts and creases. The exterior is much better compared to the interior. That piano black waist line is going to be very tough to maintain and will look bad after few wash/wipes.

Last edited by GTO : 11th March 2019 at 07:50. Reason: Grammar
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 17:09   #502
BHPian

At this point I'll be just repeating what other are saying but still -
There's no doubt that Tata fumbled on the colour choice and the rear end is polarizing. I guess they thought the gold colour would help accentuate the fender flares and the creases making it look muscular. But that effort seems to have fallen flat on it's face with special credit going to the aweful lighting on the stands. But that said this car will definitely turn heads once it hits the streets. The question is will people look at it a second time and keep looking till they end up buying it (or not).

The biggest -ve I have going against this is the semblance it bears to the Indica especially the side profile. At a point when Tata is trying to revitalize it's design language and having done that with the Tiago, nexon and Harrier , this is a big no-no.

* It's possible that this car might have been designed by a different team than harrier /nexon resulting in the car looking like a cousin and not like a brother to the rest of the lineup. Especially the interior. It just looks like it lifted from a quirky 90's JDM car. It goes totally against the good job they have done with the Tiago, nexon and especially the Harrier with their minimalist, clean look.

P.S. This is my first post after receiving my membership on Team-BHP!
ZenMaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 17:52   #503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
. A petrol automatic in this color would fit right into what I'm looking for in my next car.
+1 to this. Not just you, it should fit the requirement of a good number of people looking for an ideal city premium AT hatch with no compromises. The segment accounts for 25k+ cars per month and majority is petrol.

I believe it's the display colour+ lighting at the Geneva auto-expo stands which made it look weird initially. But now after seeing possible darker colours and the white it does look nice. I strongly hope the petrol comes with a proper Automatic and not the AMT as that entire segment competition comes with CVTs. Be it Baleno, i20 or Jazz.

At 100bhp, 140Nm torque & a kerb weight of ~1000kgs it should have better Torque/Power-to-weight ratio than most. And if Mr. Pratap Bose is to be believed that Alfa platform is being developed eyeing a 5star NCAP

Did Tata reveal the GC? Should be atleast 170 for our market.

Last edited by SoumenD : 10th March 2019 at 18:03.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 10:26   #504
BHPian

Tata Altroz to come with three engine options

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-screenshot_20190311105648_chrome.jpg

Altroz’s base engine will be Tiago’s 1.2 litre naturally aspirated petrol; Higher variants will get 1.2 turbo-petrol and 1.5 diesel from Nexon but with lower power and torque .

Quote:
The officially released figures of the Altroz’s 1.2 turbo-petrol confirm a power output of 102hp, which is marginally lower than the Nexon engine’s 110hp. Torque is substantially down too, with the Altroz’s unit developing just 140Nm compared to 170Nm in the Nexon. Tata hasn’t officially confirmed a 1.5 diesel option in the Altroz but it is definitely coming and company sources have indicated that again, it’s a detuned version of the Nexon’s motor and develops 90hp, a good 20hp less. Tata engineers are confident that even with the lower power and torque outputs of both the petrol and diesel turbo engines, performance will be “class-leading” thanks to the Altroz’s lightweight build (approximately 980kg for the 1.2 turbo-petrol).

Tata Motors cites balancing performance and fuel economy as the rationale for detuning the engines in the Altroz, but company sources have admitted that the main reason power and torque had to be capped is because of the torque limitation of the 5-speed, TA-65 gearbox.
Full Article

Last edited by JS Kwt : 11th March 2019 at 10:32.
JS Kwt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 02:35   #505
BHPian

Few pics of Altroz and Altroz EV with Technical Specifications.

Altroz
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-1.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-2.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-3.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-4.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-5.jpg

Altroz EV
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-11.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-12.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-13.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-14.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-15.jpg

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-16.jpg

Source: Tata Motors

Last edited by Scorpion 10 : 12th March 2019 at 02:45.
Scorpion 10 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 11:04   #506
BHPian

Tata Altroz NRG - what will it look like
SRK Designs Render

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-screenshot_20190312112520_chrome.jpg

The rugged-looking styling package and the higher ground clearance of the Tata Altroz NRG should enable it to take over the likes of Hyundai i20 Active and Toyota Etios Cross.

Quote:

Imagined on the lines of the Tata Tiago NRG, the Altroz-based cross-hatch would feature prominent black plastic cladding around the lower body and faux skid plates. Highlights are likely to include several black bits that will replace the chrome trim, roof rails, and larger alloy wheels. The additional ground clearance would give it a more imposing stance and even help the vehicle tackle the rough roads better.
Source: IAB
JS Kwt is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 13:42   #507
Distinguished - BHPian

TATA Altroz more details emerge,

Quote:
Among the naturally aspirated petrol hatchbacks, it is the Honda Jazz that has the most power
Quote:
Focus to the turbo-petrol engine cars – the Maruti Suzuki Baleno RS and the Altroz – the Maruti’s smaller capacity 1.0-litre engine makes the same 102hp as the Tata’s larger 1.2-litre mill, although the Baleno does have a 10Nm higher torque output.
Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-0.png

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-1.png

Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz. Edit: Launched at 5.29 lakh.-2.png

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 12th March 2019 at 13:56.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 14:07   #508
BHPian

Why does TATA always offer so many engine options?

A cheaper Diesel option would have made some sense to some(fleet operators). But if you can make UberGo fare by just sticking to a WagonR and an UberPremier needs to be a Sub-4-Meter Sedan with no CNG (at least in Pune), I don't understand where this less powerful petrol hatchback fits in.

And besides, isn't it just more efficient to offer less?

Instead of dedicating resources to ready 3 engine options, it would have been more efficient product planning to offer the AT at launch day.

Unless the weight loss program of the Alpha platform is insanely effective, I don't know how the Tiago's 1.2l 3 cyl Petrol can help it compete in the segment of the Baleno, i20 and Jazz. And I have not even started on the NVH as yet.

I have my eyes firmly set on this one though. Here's hoping the 1.2 Turbo is not just restricted to the Altroz RS variant. That would be a wasted opportunity bigger than one that ever existed.
Old 12th March 2019, 16:43   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
A cheaper Diesel option would have made some sense to some(fleet operators).
I believe Tata isn't targeting fleet operators with Altroz. They better not do that.
motobliss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 17:25   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobliss View Post
I believe Tata isn't targeting fleet operators with Altroz. They better not do that.
Well, another potential market for an Underpowered Large ish Diesel Car is the Self Drive market. TATA has already shown a liking to Zoomcars by leasing out Tigor EVs to them.

Nothing like low cost/ no consequence Beta Testing. As it is, the cars will be limited to 80 KMPH.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks