Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2017, 09:32   #2116
BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCS View Post
Why on earth the Xz+ Variant should have alloy wheel and wheel cover. Is it a mistake ?
Thats probably a mistake. It surely has Alloy wheels
Old 10th September 2017, 09:43   #2117
BHPian

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-screenshot_20170910091600449_com.android.chrome.png

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-screenshot_20170910091609987_com.android.chrome.png

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-screenshot_20170910091623214_com.android.chrome.png

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-screenshot_20170910091647185_com.android.chrome.png

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-screenshot_20170910091742055_com.android.chrome.png

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-screenshot_20170910091759257_com.android.chrome.png

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-screenshot_20170910091827737_com.android.chrome.png

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-screenshot_20170910091843606_com.android.chrome.png

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-screenshot_20170910091901397_com.android.chrome.png

Courtesy https://twitter.com/CarDekho/status/906533171939860480
arif_t01 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 10:19   #2118
BHPian

Had a chance to check out the nexon yesterday at Malik Motors, Hyderabad.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-1.jpg

The front looks good IMO, but it doesn't look butch like a SUV or even a compact SUV should. As many BHPians have already confirmed on this forum, this is more of a crossover design rather than a compact SUV. It's actually the rear which makes an impression, rest assured, in the sea of XYZ cars on our roads, this one is going to stand out:
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-2.jpg

The Grant Central Console, as Tata likes to call it, is really what the name says, Grand! It looks very well put together and the competition won't be able to hold even a candle against it. The ergonomics part is just perfect! Everything falls perfectly in your reach from the driver's seat. The infotainment system buttons are laid out well and have a good feel to them while operating. Practicality wise, there may be an issue though. The cup holders in the central console are useless. I don't see how anyone can fit a cup of coffee or a cold beverage in there. Tata should have thought this through. A few images below:
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-3.jpg
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-4.jpg
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-5.jpg
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-6.jpg

Ingress and egress is also good. The doors open pretty wide. The doors are quite okay. They won't give you that European "thud" though. The car sits a little higher from the ground, so there's no sitting down in the car, rather it's just get in and get on. Elder folks may have some trouble getting in. The legroom is good, and I didn't face any issues even with my 5' 11 friend sitting in the front (my hight for reference is 5' 7). I even asked my friend to sit at the backseat, he was also quite comfortable. The legroom is not in the league of WR-V though. The key fob looks pretty good. Couldn't check out the wearable key though:
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-7.jpg
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-8.jpg

One important thing I noticed is that the seats themselves are a little bit smaller. Don't get me wrong, they are quite good for an average built Indian. But for people with bigger frame, this is definitely going to be an issue. Even when my friend was sitting in the driver's seat, his shoulders were a little above the seat. Not cool! I have test driven all the compact SUV's and this is a unique ergonomic failure I have come across which matters a lot to most of the people. Reference image below:
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-9.jpg

I couldn't take a picture with my friend sitting in the driver's seat, apologies for that. That's yours truly in the pic. If you look closely, at 5' 7, my shoulders are almost at the same level as the top part of the seat.

I also asked the Tata sales person to start the car, as I wanted to check the sound insulation. I was impressed! The engine has a typical clatter associated with diesel engines, however with all the windows up and sitting inside the car, the noise is very well controlled.

The first look at Nexon was not very uneventful. When I asked the sales person to start the car, me and my friend were comfortably standing right in front of the vehicle checking out the pannel shut lines. My friend was relaxing with his hand over the bonnet. When he put the engine in ignition, all hell broke loose. I don't know what he did, but the car jumped ahead right at us for 1-2 feet. There was a carpet below the car. So while the car jumped at us, simultaneously the carpet got pulled in the opposite direction. And guess who was standing over the carpet, and in front of the car? Well no prizes for guessing, me and my friend. We both almost fell down and my friend's hands almost got a fracture. I think the handbrake saved us, it might not have been engaged fully though. First look at Nexon almost proved deadly for us. I know I'm exaggerating, but trust me, when the car leaped at us, we both were holding on for dear life. The Tata guy was panicking and was very embarrassed, we didn't embarrass him more. For the curious ones, I'm pretty sure he released the clutch while the 1st gear was engaged.

Mod Note : It is imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here to view our pictorial help article on uploading pics.

Please submit images ONLY via the Team-BHP Attachment System.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th September 2017 at 10:41. Reason: See mod note
DasJager is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 10:23   #2119
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the specs sheet, I feel, the XM variant will be most popular with the value seekers. It has got all the necessary things covered and sits two steps below the top variant, ergo, it'll be cheaper by around a Lakh rupees. I don't see many reasons to go for the XT over XM.

BTW, does it have an inbuilt Navigation system? The Shark Fin Antenna has GPS in XZ+ variant.
safari_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 11:07   #2120
Distinguished - BHPian

The Tata Nexon in Glasgow Grey, in person. (from 1:06 onwards)

Video courtesy Debashish Mishra.

RavenAvi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 11:58   #2121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The Tata Nexon in Glasgow Grey, in person.
Is it me or is this shade darker than the grey on the Zest? Looks really cool nevertheless
Old 10th September 2017, 11:58   #2122
BHPian

Omg DasJager, take care. It reminds me of the scene that the Mahindra SA told to me during my TV 300 AMT test drive where the AMT version of TV 300 was being parked and ready for test drive. The building security guard was doing some work 10 feet behind the car. A customer who was new to automatics put the car in reverse and released the break and without knowing that it will creep in few seconds, he stamped the accelerator and the car rushed backwards and smashed the security guard. His hand and legs were broken it seems but was alive.
Just a little more OT.. After he told this story which happened a week back from when I went for the test drive last year, it was my turn and with an uncomfortable feared look he asked me whether I am used to driving automatics. I just said - don't worry, I am a team-bhpian for the last 10 years and he got his life back. (Apparently he also visits team-bhp frequently and was well aware of our forum)
satish_tns is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 14:23   #2123
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's the variant wise feature list:

Tata Nexon XE

Taillamps with LED inserts
Single tone wheel covers
195/65 tyres and 16-inch steel wheels
Three-tone interiors
Fabric seats
Umbrella holder in front doors
Glovebox with cup holders, wallet holder, card holder, etc.
Folding rear seat
Dual-front airbags
ABS with EBD
Multi Drive modes
Manual climate control
Reach and rake adjustable steering
Front power windows

Tata Nexon XM

Shark fin antenna
Dual-tone wheel covers
Harman ConnectNext sound system with four speakers
AM/FM, USB, Aux-in, iPod and Bluetooth connectivity
Steering mounted audio controls
Rear parking sensors
Remote central locking
All four power windows
Electric adjust for wing mirrors
USB fast charger

Tata Nexon XT

Roof rails
Body-coloured wing mirrors and door handles
Automatic climate control
Rear AC vents
Electric folding wing mirrors
Rear power outlet
Cooled and illuminated glovebox

Tata Nexon XZ+

Dual-tone roof colour
Projector headlamps with daytime running lamps
215/60 tyres with 16-inch alloy wheels
Front centre armrest and sliding tambour door storage
Rear centre armrest with cup holders
Rear seat 60:40 split and fold
Eight speaker Harman 6.5-inch touchscreen infotainment system with Android Auto, voice commands, message readout and reply
Voice commands for climate control
Voice alerts for door open, seatbelt reminder, low fuel, park brake release and service reminder
Rear parking camera
Day/night inside rearview mirror
Front and rear fog lamps
Rear defogger
Driver’s seat height adjust
Height adjustable seatbelts
Smart key with push-button start

No floating display for the XT variant.
The lower variants need to be priced competitively if Tata wants some sales. The mid variants of the Ecosport are better value IMHO.

Last edited by vishy76 : 10th September 2017 at 14:32.
vishy76 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 15:22   #2124
Distinguished - BHPian

Visited Prerna Motors to check out the Nexon today morning and here are a few pics and observations based on the display car, which was a XT+ . Did not get to drive it as test drive vehicles havent arrived yet.

Interiors
  • Car looks very well put together with not many gaps and shut lines are quiet even

• Interior plastics are feel very very good and have the right mix of textures and feel. For example: top of the door panel is texture black plastic and immediately below that is black fabric that feel very good to touch. Ensure that you dont get scratch & dirt marks near the handle.

Door panel
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-i1.jpg

Textured plastic on dashboard
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-i2.jpg

• Height adjustable seatbelts
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-i3.jpg

• Manual dimming IVRM (I prefer this over the auto dimming version anyways)

• Small slot for toll tickets etc just above the 3 stage cabin lights
    cabin lights + ticket slot
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-i11.jpg

• Clean and easy to view HUD. Did not get a change to check MID section in the center as the car keys were unavailable. Not sure if Fuel & Engine temp are also displayed in the MID
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-i4.jpg

• Damped grab handles. Driver doesn't get one

• Hooks galore in the cabin and the boot as already shared in the previous posts. Did find this push hook in the passenger footwell. What would you hang there? Wet socks
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-i5.jpg

• Seats are neither firm not very soft and the front set bolstering is quiet decent. Drive seat height adjustment range is good and is easy to find a comfortable position. I am 6ft and very heavy and did not have any issue with the seats & comfort

• Rear seats feel a lot more spacious and comfortable when compared to the front seats. Saying this because the footwell space in front is limited where as you have a lot of space behind. Even though the roof slopes back, there is no dearth of headroom even if you are 6 footer.

• Rear seats are strictly 2 adults + 1 kid, which is very surprising for a Tata car
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-i13.jpg

• As mentioned previously, footwell space is limited and folks with big feet will have to adjust a little and get used to the slightly cramped footwell

• Bonnet is not visible from the driver seat. Not sure if this is a big problem but a lot of folks might expect an SUV to have better visibility of the front bonnet line.
    Visibility
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-i6.jpg

• Intermittent wiper setting with adjustable speed placed on the wiper stalk
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-i7.jpg

• Headlight leveling also integrated on headlight stalk
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-i8.jpg

• Faux leather cover ensure that ugly internals are not seen when steering is adjusted for height
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-i9.jpg

• Really like the textures, lines and contrast of the dashboard but surprised not see a SRS or airbag sign on the passenger side given the fact that passenger airbags are standard across variants
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-i10.jpg

• Door beading and rubber used in the cabin and boot are really thick and seem to be of very good quality. I do hope the NVH level inside are also good for both front & rear passengers
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-i12.jpg

• Attention to detail is simply superb! Example: Protruding bolts in the boot door get plastic covers on the door frame to prevent rattles. This and many other such instances show that they have gone the extra few steps to try and minimize issues.
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-i14.jpg

• Rear visibility is very very poor and you will have to rely on the OVRMs + Sensors/Camera to help back the car up
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-i15.jpg

• No foot plates on door sil. Neither the front nor the rear door sil have any kind of foot plates, which would mean messy & dirty door sil especially given the black interiors
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-i16.jpg

Exterior
  • Clean lines and styling when seen from rear quarter. Doesnt look very aggressive, nor does is it unappealing
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-e1.jpg

• Aggressive front with those huge headlamps and that bulging bonnet gives that car some presence
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-e2.jpg

• DRLs look good but I personally did not like the black plastic eyebrow on the fog lamps and the indicator section above the headlamp cluster
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-e3.jpg

• Indicator section also protrudes above the bonnet, not sure what is the functional advantage of that
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-e4.jpg

• Tailamp cluster looks good but seems very busy when you look at all the shapes and grooves
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-e5.jpg

• Shod with 215 60 R16 Turanzas that look good on the car. The machined alloys look OK and I feel that the wheel caps looked a lot better.Not sure if the spare on the top end XT+ is 215 60 R16i or 195 60 R16.
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-e6.jpg

• High ground clearance, which means you have to lift your legs up to get into the car
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-e7.jpg

• Front & rear wheels get aero flaps but they are not aligned with they wheels. They only cover half of the wheels
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-e8_1.jpg

• Boot has a high loading lip and the boot door also does go up high. Hand Slot provided to pull the door down
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-e9.jpg

• Rear camera is exposed to elements not sure if this will have an adverse effect on the lens and life of the camera
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-e10.jpg

• Rear wiper + nozzle is an integrated unit. Nozzel will spray water upwards, which can be a pain at times as my car also has an upward facing nozzle and in a lot of cases, the pressure is not sufficient to spray water all the way to the top
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-e11.jpg

• Wiper stalks are weirdly shaped plus the wipers are not standard wipers
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-e12.jpg

• Wheel arches flare quiet a bit and hence need to be extra cafeul while driving in traffic. best bet would be to get PPF and not worry about bikers putting neat lines on the arches
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-e13.jpg

• Folks who like to detail their car, this is not going to be easy to mainatain. I can see a lot of gaps and channels where hard water spots, dirt etc can easily collect and its goign to take a lof of effort and care to keep it clean
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-e14.jpg

Last edited by procrj : 10th September 2017 at 15:30.
procrj is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 15:26   #2125
Distinguished - BHPian

Engine Bay
  • Lost of space in the engine bay. Seems quiet cleanly laid out with all the fluid levels, dips sticks etc easily accessible. Guessing that the air filter sits above the engine and hence might need to get the cover off to access the same
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-b1.jpg
  • ECU sits behind the battery and looks to be a Delphi unit
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-b2.jpg
  • No under body protection or cladding. Might not need it given the high clearance but still is a good to have when driving through slushy/gravely roads
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-b3.jpg
  • No firewall or insulation on the inner wall of the engine bay. Found this a little weird as most cars that I have seen have some kind of protection on the inner wall. Could not get decent pics with the phone camera

• Bonnet support - the strut to support the bonnet is fixed to the bonnet and dangles in air. You need to slot it into a circular hole to fix it and stablizie it. The worrying part is that when you shut the bonnet, there is not place to lock the strut - Or I should say that I did not find any and that was a worry as I ha dto close the bonnet with the strut not locked in place to anything. Hope I missed a trick and tata has provided a mechanism to lock the strut in place while shutting the bonnet
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-b4.jpg

My 2 cents
  • The size of the car from the outside might be a deterant for a lot of people. If the common man walks in and expects to see a compact SUV like the Brezza or Ecosports and he sees the Nexon with its car like stance, he will think twice. The interrior space and feel is a different sotry but if I have an SUV in mind and am willing to pay 10+L for it, I expect it to have some presence from the outside
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-r1.jpg
  • While the front looks good and aggressive, from the side & rear, the Nexon feels like a small car or a slightly overgrown hatchback
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-r3.jpg
  • Ingress and Egress for folks who are 6+ ft or for the elderly is going to be an issue beacuse a) the doors dont open perpendicular b) The foot sil area is cramped by the seat and the upward lines c) sloping roofline makes you bend down . All of the above ensures that your legs are lifted high plus your upper body is bent down, which might not be a comfortable postion for the elderly
    The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-r2.jpg
  • Once inside the car, the fit, finish, audio clarity and front visiblity are very very good and makes you feel like you are in a good good car. Only hope that the NVH & drivablity add to the above experience and make this better than competition

• As usual, Price is going to be the key here and I sincerely hope that Tata does price the car well

I sincerely hope that Tata gets their pricing right and their new engine is a steady workhorse with minimal niggles. This could really set them up for the upcoming SUV launches and would really give the consumer a lot more to chose from.
procrj is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 15:44   #2126
BHPian

Wow! The Nexon in the grey shade is growing on me and pulling me away from the red shade with the dual tone roof. What a conundrum! Although the nexon in red is eye catching, but I think the Grey it will be for me, for those stealthy looks!

Will have to see both in person and decide. I have finalized the car for purchase now. The car hunt which started with Zest in 2014, to Jazz and Baleno in 2015 and will end with Nexon in 2017. I have to say, I am lucky that some or the other reason kept putting the car purchase on hold.

The wait has been worth it!

Edit : AutoX has posted a link for the comparison between the Nexon, Brezza and the WR-V and I am quite surprised with their observations. After watching Autocar's review last night, I could actually relate to whatever Renuka talked about the car, while AutoX has a completely contrasting view.

The link : https://www.autox.in/car-comparisons...rv-comparison/

Last edited by akhil994 : 10th September 2017 at 15:49.
akhil994 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 15:50   #2127
Senior - BHPian

Autocar have done a comparison of the Brezza with the Nexon and have given their vote for the Nexon. They do mention about the slightly lesser space for 3 in the rear and storage space at front in Nexon compared to Brezza but superior NVH, ride and steering feedback as well as better engine and interior quality. In common shots, the Nexon looks a shade smaller than the Brezza.
Also not sure if already mentioned - the Nexon is an anagram for another Tata model - Xenon.

Last edited by narayan : 10th September 2017 at 15:53.
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 17:08   #2128
BHPian

Offtrack,

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
Edit : AutoX has posted a link for the comparison between the Nexon, Brezza and the WR-V and I am quite surprised with their observations.
Don't be surprised.

Nowadays its really easy to create a website using platforms like WordPress and claim to be an "expert". That doesn't mean We should take them seriously.

There is a reasons why team-bhp reviews are always last, and We still read full review.
Vishal.R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 17:27   #2129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
The size of the car from the outside might be a deterant for a lot of people. If the common man walks in and expects to see a compact SUV like the Brezza or Ecosports and he sees the Nexon with its car like stance, he will think twice. The interrior space and feel is a different sotry but if I have an SUV in mind and am willing to pay 10+L for it, I expect it to have some presence from the outside
Thanks for the preview! It looks amazing and I'd say that it is by far the most attractive car in the country below 10 lakhs. Just look at that dashboard...it would be difficult to differentiate it from a luxury car that costs twice as much.

Looks are a matter of perception. I have not seen the car on the road yet, but from what I see from your pictures, this has far, far more road presence than a Brezza. I don't get it- how does the Brezza look like an SUV? It's nothing more than a hatchback and on the road, it actually feels exactly like the Swift. The Nexon on the other hand looks distinct. It is bigger, taller, more funky and classy. It may not have the spare wheel on the bootlid, but that seems like such an old way to dress a car like an SUV. No one does that anymore, except the Bolero and TUV100. I've been in a Brezza (and a WRV) and the first thing I noticed was that the plastics are very ordinary- even the Baleno (the old one) had similar materials, perhaps better and more scratch resistant. The touch screen on the Brezza looks like it was fitted in an accessory store. But this is not to say that the Brezza is a bad car- it simply doesn't feel like it should compete with the Nexon. Perhaps, it can be compared to a KUV100.

The attention to detail in the interior is fantastic. It looks like it was designed with elegance, and not a "budget", in mind. To me, that's the biggest value that a company can offer a customer in this segment.
Nissan1180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2017, 17:29   #2130
Senior - BHPian

To me I think Tata got it's inspiration from the Nissan Juke. It looks very refined and much better than the Vitara Brezza which looks positively outdated now due to it's boxy design. Back seat would be a 2 seater at best due to the intrusive rear a/c vent as compared to the Vitara Brezza which is wider and has a flatter floor and a uniform length seat squab.
The engine refinement, driveability and extra torque would make the Nexon more driveable than the Brezza (ACI comparo). Nexon looks like a premium hatch than a compact SUV from most angles. If priced well it may click. If perception is that of a hatch then people would be better of with a tried and tested i20 than this, if it falls in the 8-10 L category which it most likely is. One thing is that it looks unique, period. There could be a poll on TBHP once prices are announced after launch, whether people may like this or the i20.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 10th September 2017 at 17:32.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks