Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2017, 20:35   #1291
BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
The wearable wristband key seems a little too silly for my liking ....Otherwise it just seems stupid IMO. I'd much rather press a request sensor on the door to open it while the key is in my pocket, and then leave it next to the arm rest somewhere. It's much better to tell the Valet that the key is in the central console instead of fiddling about, taking some rubber band off of your wrist and handing it over to the valet or even doing so once you've got home from a long night out or a hard days work. Does not seem like a USP to me.
While i completely agree with you that this is a gimmicky feature, would not a sunroof or push-button start too come in the same category.

Sunroof, while i agree increases the desirability quotient if large enough, its completely impractical in our weather. And with some senseless brains on our roads (who let kids stand out of sunroofs) we could surely do without one.

Push-button start? Well here you go
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ystems-14.html

Now coming back to this, as per the pictures (and as per what Jaguar offers) this just seems to be an additional method to unlock the car, and not the primary/only method. Am sure you can still hand over the keys to the valet, if you wish to. It would be naive to think Tata Motors would force you to take off your wearable device?

That said wearables have been the trend for some time (and is still very much in use by folks in my circle) so, kudos to Tata Motors to try something fancy.
sachinayak is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 20:43   #1292
BHPian

Quote:
The wearable wristband key seems a little too silly for my liking but perhaps if they are using this to target the 'active' buyer who wants to know how many steps he has taken between parking his car at work when he/she reaches in the morning to when he gets back in and drives home, it could be useful for a few (assuming ofcourse that it incorporates some sort of fitbit activity tracking technology). I used to wear a fitbit for about a year until I figured it was too much of a pain to log and track my activity, and that it was much easier to just make sure I got enough food and exercise to see the benefits on my body myself, but to each his own I guess.

Otherwise it just seems stupid IMO. I'd much rather press a request sensor on the door to open it while the key is in my pocket, and then leave it next to the arm rest somewhere. It's much better to tell the Valet that the key is in the central console instead of fiddling about, taking some rubber band off of your wrist and handing it over to the valet or even doing so once you've got home from a long night out or a hard days work. Does not seem like a USP to me.

It wont be used by many people but it will be good to have one, for example one goes to gym or swimming or say hiking, I would always have in mind say my key might get lost, this active key on wrist might be helpful in these scenario's. Also, these wouldn't track your steps or anything, it is just a NFC tag.

I always have a phobia of loosing keys when I am on a long trip, I always carry 2 keys with me and give to the person who is traveling with me.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 21:06   #1293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganpec2002 View Post
Even I feel the thread has become more negative in the last couple of days.

Coming back to the Car, I strongly believe S-cross 1.3 Zeta is the most VFM car one can buy with 10 Lakhs budget (ex-showroom).

S-cross Advantages:

1) A size bigger and spacious car especially at the rear. Could be more wider than Nexon. With 60:40 rear split it offers lot more use.
2) Cruise Control. (If Nexon also provides then can be deleted).
3) All Disc brakes.
I agree with you that S-Cross 1.3 Zeta is the VFM option under 10 lakh ex-showroom.

Nexon (1811 mm) is wider than S-Cross (1765 mm). How much of that translates to rear seat width need to be seen.

Nexon comes with 16-inch alloys and there is no cruise control.

For me, two features that I had hoped to have in my next car, but are missing in Nexon
  • Cruise Control: I do lot of highway drives. Contrary to lot of other members about giving rest to left foot with an automatic, I prefer to give that rest to my right foot during those highway drives as it started to feel painful.
  • Steering Reach: I prefer to have the laid back seating during driving. Being 6'1", I always push the seat way back to its maximum position. If the default reach position in Nexon is good for my driving position, then there are no complaints on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganpec2002 View Post
I think a car at this segment would generally provide auto fold ORVMs. I am not sure if Nexon come with 17 inch alloys. I still feel Nexon top end diesel would be priced between 9.5 to 10 lakhs so it all comes down to the engine. If the engine is as good as the specs then it would trump S-cross 1.3 Zeta and would be most VFM in 10 lakhs budget (ex-showroom).

Congratulations RavenAvi & mrbaddy for your booking. What is the maximum price you would pay for the top end? Beyond which you would cancel the booking.
Yeah, Auto Fold ORVMs would have been nicer addition. I'm planning to keep my next car for a longer duration, so six airbags is also a miss.

On the price front, definitely nothing more than the competition. If six airbags & cruise control are there, I would have probably paid to what EcoSport top end is charging. Without them, I don't want to commit to any number and give the Tata guys a sense of market acceptance and they start to become greedy and lose their VFM pricing.
mrbaddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 21:08   #1294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
La Jaguar - Active Key, finally some JLR inputs in a Tata car. It will look something like this.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=Yjia6VoUJLw
The one in the photos on Twitter and this thread seems to show some sort of Display on the wearable, probably with a watch/activity tracker integration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
WhatsApp messages readout & reply - another unique feature!
Its a part of standard Android Auto features. But its neat marketing from TATA to let people know!!

Last edited by nagateja : 25th July 2017 at 21:13.
nagateja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 21:09   #1295
BHPian

Quote:
The wearable wristband key seems a little too silly for my liking but perhaps if they are using this to target the 'active' buyer who wants to know how many steps he has taken between parking his car at work when he/she reaches in the morning to when he gets back in and drives home, it could be useful for a few (assuming ofcourse that it incorporates some sort of fitbit activity tracking technology). I used to wear a fitbit for about a year until I figured it was too much of a pain to log and track my activity, and that it was much easier to just make sure I got enough food and exercise to see the benefits on my body myself, but to each his own I guess.

Otherwise it just seems stupid IMO. I'd much rather press a request sensor on the door to open it while the key is in my pocket, and then leave it next to the arm rest somewhere. It's much better to tell the Valet that the key is in the central console instead of fiddling about, taking some rubber band off of your wrist and handing it over to the valet or even doing so once you've got home from a long night out or a hard days work. Does not seem like a USP to me.
Wonder why people are so keen on ridiculing something even before understanding how it works. Sorry I had to say this.
To make it clear, it is NOT a replacement for actual key. This is not to help people eliminate carrying the key fob. This is for those folks who are "outdoor freaks" so that they can lock the key in the car, get their hydration packs and go hiking, or swimming, without worrying about the key getting lost or getting wet. It is far easier to lose the key while hiking than to lose your wristband. You can always be assured that the key is safe by looking at your wrist, which is a good thing.

Before you say that locking the key in the car is a recipe for getting the car stolen, the key gets deactivated once you lock the car using the wristband. At least that is how it works in the Jaguar. I cannot comment on Nexon, but neither can you !

At the end of the day, if you don't want it or if it looks silly, feel free to NOT USE IT. Why ridicule something that is nice just for the sake of being negative. It is better than not having this feature at all. It is not a necessity, but a nice to have feature.

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 25th July 2017 at 21:14.
DieselAddikt is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 21:16   #1296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
While i completely agree with you that this is a gimmicky feature, would not a sunroof or push-button start too come in the same category.
No chance. Please don't mistake my cirticism of a wearable key as just blind criticism. A sunroof is not at all gimmicky. First off, it lets in more light and makes the cabin feel more airy. This is India and it's too hot you say? Then why complain when door sills are too high? An airy cabin is always appreciated. We are a race of convenience; we want a more airy cabin even if it means that the climate control system has to work a little bit more. Secondly, although not applicable to everyone, as a smoker, I can tell you that a sunroof is an absolute boon. One can just ash the cigarette through the sun roof and not have to worry about wind hitting your face or the ash flying back inside very simple and elegant way to smoke As for push-button start, live with it and then try complaining about it. It is nice to have one neat looking keyfob and not have to fumble about slotting the key into the hole everytime to start your car. Besides, it is also nice to not have to worry where the key is as these systems always make sure to warn you if the key is not on your possession or if the key is still in the car and you are trying to lock it. Keyless entry and push button start both do play a role in convenience.

Quote:
Sunroof, while i agree increases the desirability quotient if large enough, its completely impractical in our weather. And with some senseless brains on our roads (who let kids stand out of sunroofs) we could surely do without one.
Like I already pointed out, an airy cabin is always appreciated regardless of weather conditions. Heck just look at how popular convertibles are in Britain where its perpetually dreadful weather, look how popular the Sierra was back in its day even though its massive windows were fixed and couldn't even be opened. If you admit that there is a desirability quotient to it not to mention all the other factors that I have brought up, then why say that it shouldn't be there because people let their kids stand through it? Thats like saying don't sell bikes above 150cc because lots of people might crash them. That is to do with education.

Quote:
Push-button start? Well here you go
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ystems-14.html
positives and negatives exist for everything out there besides I failed to find anything of note, apart from one member bringing up the point that engine could not be turned off while in motion which would help during brake failure. Infact there are several members on that thread that argue it is actually quite a boon, anyway, let me deconstruct the brake failure and not being able to turn off the car while in motion argument; first off, in India we only hear of brake failure in cars because privileged uneducated folks use it as an excuse for mowing down pedestrian when they are drunk. The actual chances of brake failure in a modern car are less than the chances of you being struck by lightning, secondly, if the driver has the experience and presence of mind to know that turning off the car will add braking force, he/she can just as easily get the car to stall. Besides working down the gears gradually increasing engine breaking is always better than stalling the car which could induce it to spin or skid out of control.

Quote:
Now coming back to this, as per the pictures (and as per what Jaguar offers) this just seems to be an additional method to unlock the car, and not the primary/only method. Am sure you can still hand over the keys to the valet, if you wish to. It would be naive to think Tata Motors would force you to take off your wearable device?
Thankyou kind sir for pointing this out. If you read my post carefully, you will see that I said that this was strictly my opinion that this seemed gimmicky also let me just say, I am not stupid enough to think that one would be forced to use a wearable. If I thought that, I wouldn't even be interested in buying the car. You can clearly see the key detached from the band in the images for crying out loud. All I mean was that it seemed like a waste to me.

Quote:
That said wearables have been the trend for some time (and is still very much in use by folks in my circle) so, kudos to Tata Motors to try something fancy.
Actually if you are financially with the times, you notice that 'wearables' of the sort we are discussing (not smart watches which offer a lot more functionality), are no longer enjoying success. Here's an interesting read for you: https://www.engadget.com/2017/07/07/...bles-industry/

Like I said in my post, I myself owned a fitbit and used it for a year until I came to the realization that it was quite unnecessary.

A key like the one on the BMW 7 series, where it interfaces with the car and lets you know certain details about it, would have been useful. Could be argued that it is gimmicky just as you have tried to claim that sunroofs and push button start is, but it would still have its pros. Obviously the BMW key is really expensive but perhaps a cheaper one that only gives a few essential bit of info on the cars status, would be nicer. This band, seems to have no use atleast to me. Still eagerly awaiting a test drive of this car though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
It wont be used by many people but it will be good to have one, for example one goes to gym or swimming or say hiking, I would always have in mind say my key might get lost, this active key on wrist might be helpful in these scenario's. Also, these wouldn't track your steps or anything, it is just a NFC tag.
Well it can be argued that there are so many other items like your phone, wallet, earphones etc that you are scared of losing in the gym or when you go hiking. Which is why you have lockers and backpacks. One product to solve a universal issue is more preferable than creating a wearable solution for each product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
Wonder why people are so keen on ridiculing something even before understanding how it works. Sorry I had to say this.
To make it clear, it is NOT a replacement for actual key. This is not to help people eliminate carrying the key fob.
Please hold your horses. Extend me the courtesy of assuming I am smart enough to know that. Like I have already explained, I do not think that it is a replacement and haven't even said so in my post. If I did think that it was, I wouldn't still be interested in the car. I am not ridiculing the car. Just this feature, and have done so with multiple clear reasons (so it isn't like I am blindly dissing the feature) as well as a disclaimer that this is solely my opinion. Please don't take offence or think that I am trying to bash anything. I was just sad to see that they engineered a band for the key fob instead of perhaps adding the Hexa's audio system as an option.

Anyway I never meant to invite such defensive posts. I am not attacking anything here, please calm down.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 25th July 2017 at 21:18.
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 21:18   #1297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
Seeing that Maruti is yet to offer curtain airbags on any of their vehicles, I see Tata's omission here as a missed opportunity rather than a glaring one. A top end with 6 airbags would have enabled them to position the Nexon as equal to or better than the rest on all fronts. The Ecosport certainly has the safety advantage for now and we might see Ford playing it up a lot more with the upcoming refresh.
Ford already has a standalone TVC highlighting their 6-airbag version in Ecosport. There was a recent discussion on that ad too.

On a related note, Nexon has made ISOFIX standard across variants that Maruti has done on their Nexa cars. Ecosport has them only in the Titanium and Titanium+ variants, which I think will get addressed this year's facelift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Seat Airbag ? I am hearing this first time
Just bad English I guess. I doubt 4 airbag version is on cards, would've been highlighted in the presentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The red one is also an XZ+.
Thanks for this. The other pictures and walkaround videos seen so far weren't close enough to spot the variant sticker.

Last edited by narayans80 : 25th July 2017 at 21:27.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 21:19   #1298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
Yeah, Auto Fold ORVMs would have been nicer addition. I'm planning to keep my next car for a longer duration, so six airbags is also a miss.
The mirrors are electrically foldable, not sure if it's auto fold upon engine off. Probably needs a press of the button to fold like the Cruze.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-img_20170725_211546.jpg  

discoverwild is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 21:22   #1299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
The mirrors are electrically foldable, not sure if it's auto fold upon engine off. Probably needs a press of the button to fold like the Cruze.
interestingly enough, people need not be worried about whether the mirrors are auto-folding or not. As long as one has electrically foldable mirrors, you can find modules out there that can be installed and programmed to make the mirrors fold in automatically when the car is locked and fold out when it is unlocked. In most cases it is quite a cheap and easy fix.
IshaanIan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 21:35   #1300
BHPian

Quote:
Extend me the courtesy of assuming I am smart enough to know that.
Sorry, but your comment about "handing over the wristband to the valet" and "counting steps from office to the parking lot" gave an impression that you were unaware of how it works.

Agreed with your comment about providing Hexa like audio set up. Perhaps this would have worked out much cheaper than adding extra center channel and a sub from JBL. I am guessing that these new techs are cheap and easy to integrate than introducing good quality hardware for speakers (and possibly a different AMP with more channels). And from the spec, the current audio set up looks good enough compared to the competition, right? A sunroof would have been nice though. It could have attracted more buyers too.
DieselAddikt is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 21:36   #1301
BHPian

So this is the key/wearable/smartband.

Src: @BosePratap on Twitter
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-1500998701585.jpg  

nagateja is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 21:42   #1302
BHPian

Things I like about Tata Nexon
- Superb looking compact SUV
- Brilliant engine specs
- 6 speed manual gearbox

- Loaded with following features:
*Automatic headlamps & wipers
*Smart entry key
*Push start / stop
*16 inch tyres
*Floating touch screen
*25W x 4 amplifier 8-speaker system
*Android auto
*Apple Carplay to be added shortly
*DRL
*LED tail lamps
*Power adjustable & retractable outside mirrors
*Multi drive modes
*Front arm rest
*Rear seat arm rest
*Rear AC vents
*Reverse camera with dynamic guiding lines
*Height adjustable seat belt
*Shark fin antenna
*Umbrella holders
*Text & Whatsapp readout and reply

-Safety features across variants - Kudos to Tata for this
* Dual airbags
* ABS
* CSC - Cornering stability control
* Isofix

209mm ground clearance
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-nexon.jpg

Things I don't like
- No automatic transmission. While I know AMT will be available, I am not a big fan of AMT
- Cruise control would have been great. Wonderful feature for highway drives
damager21 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 21:48   #1303
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Actually if you are financially with the times, you notice that 'wearables' of the sort we are discussing (not smart watches which offer a lot more functionality), are no longer enjoying success. Here's an interesting read for you: https://www.engadget.com/2017/07/07/...bles-industry/
Agreed. But I kind of like this wearable key idea. Thinking back, I'm sure I could have used it at times when -

1. I'm wearing track pants. Gym, walk at the park etc.
2. Office outing sort of events where I'm forced to leave the keyfob in the bag or some other safe place.
3. Long trips where I take the spare key along and insist on having the co-passenger (wife) carry it.

A wearable key would work for me, and reduce some tension. A good to have feature, indeed! Finally something truly segment with respect to features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
And from the spec, the current audio set up looks good enough compared to the competition, right? A sunroof would have been nice though. It could have attracted more buyers too.
I'm one of those who commented that they should have ordered the Hexa spec atleast on the XZ+. The reason is that it becomes a USP, although I'm absolutely sure that the current setup will be class leading.

But for someone keen about buying the Nexon for the audio, it would have become a big USP had the 10 speaker system been there. I'm personally not very happy about the 8 speaker system and will definitely look at an upgrade, if I end up buying the Nexon. (As with other cars in the segment too, I need to add). Any audio guy will long for a properly tuned sub sooner or later. But that's just me and I expect atleast 95% buyers to be happy with the stock audio.

Sunroof would have been another USP too. WRV thread is proof for that. People tend to change their purchase decisions only for these USPs at times, for reasons which sometimes sound as silly as their children absolutely loving the presence of it in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
*25W x 4 amplifier 8-speaker system
So it should sound more like the Zest audio, rather than Tiago / Tigor. Good.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 25th July 2017 at 21:57.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 21:51   #1304
BHPian

Quote:
Please don't mistake my cirticism of a wearable key as just blind criticism.
As you rightly pointed out, what I thought was gimmicky was perhaps useful to you (or atleast in scenarios you mentioned). However, to each his own. As someone else rightly pointed out a well, there would be folks who may find this useful.

Quote:
It is nice to have one neat looking keyfob and not have to fumble about slotting the key into the hole everytime to start your car. Besides, it is also nice to not have to worry where the key is as these systems always make sure to warn you if the key is not on your possession or if the key is still in the car and you are trying to lock it. Keyless entry and push button start both do play a role in convenience.
Did you not contradict yourself there? You do agree that keyless entry plays a role in convenience, however you have a problem with keyless entry going one step ahead by offering a wearable option? A lot indeed depends on how the implementation is, but none of us know about it right now.

Quote:

Like I said in my post, I myself owned a fitbit and used it for a year until I came to the realization that it was quite unnecessary.
This is completely off topic, but if you read the article carefully, the wearable industry is not dying, but older players are dying and are giving way to newer players. And i can vouch for it. In my circle, there are multiple users who moved away from the more expensive Fitbit to the lowly Xiomi MiBand2 for one basic reason - this device needs to be charged once in 25 days and this feature by itself makes it immensely more usable.
sachinayak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 22:14   #1305
BHPian

Plenty of unexpected & first in class features :
- Floating touchscreen
- Central tunnel
- Use of Ceramic
- Umbrella holders
- Shutter lid for cup-holders
- Drive modes
- Key in wristband

Add this to the class leading diesel engine & stunning looks, and we certainly have a very good overall package.

6 airbags on the top end variant would have been the cherry on top. Food for thought Tata!

Last edited by r0nit7 : 25th July 2017 at 22:16.
r0nit7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks