Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2015, 22:29   #76
BHPian

Re: Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud

I might be wrong, but the Flow Transformer is an additional component, and hence Cost. So they dropped it in the first place due to not needing it to meet the norms. Now, that they are needed to drop the emissions, they are fitting it (with additional cost).
A change the way MAF reads might need a small recalibration at software level, hence the remap.
** Update **
Just read the article to completion. There is a higher risk of soot build up due to higher EGR that might happen with new software. Thats definitely not good, especially since the soot can also clog the VGT and MAF sensor. Anyway, waiting for the official recall from VW guys to take a call. I expect no less than an email / post with explanation. It will also be great if they throw in a freebie for all the troubles, perhaps a free service (They can charge for the consumables).

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Thanks for the link. The article states that adding a flow transformer and remapping the engine may affect reliability, which is probably the reason why VW didn't apply this method earlier. Could this be correct? With so much attention on this issue any reliability issues post these rectifications could pose a bigger pitfall for VW.
I just hope it's not the case and I also wish VW was more categorical in its statement. The current statements by VW India are too diplomatic and not giving any concrete info to the customers.

Last edited by allajunaki : 8th December 2015 at 22:42.
Old 8th December 2015, 23:52   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
The article states that adding a flow transformer and remapping the engine may affect reliability, which is probably the reason why VW didn't apply this method earlier. Could this be correct?
Quote:
Originally Posted by allajunaki View Post
Just read the article to completion. There is a higher risk of soot build up due to higher EGR that might happen with new software. Thats definitely not good, especially since the soot can also clog the VGT and MAF sensor.
Adding Flow Transformer and updating software wont affect reliability of cars in India. Its in Europe and USA where there are stringent emission norms wherein there can be issues of reliability and drop in performance.

Since in India EA189 already meets emission norms BS IV, addition of flow transformer and new updates wont have any significant effect.

My Vento 1.6 TDi shall go for 5th service in Mar'16 and lets see what shall the outcome be.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2015, 12:54   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this ad in paper today. Some damage control marketing. Unfortunately, the points mentioned- build quality, safety , performance are probably the last things a VW owner will complain about .

Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud-img_20151212_1238232.jpg
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2015, 13:03   #79
BHPian

Its not the build quality or the performance of VW cars thats in question, so I do not find any strong reason behind the ad and its impact.

His dad is enjoying the scenery while he cruises at high speed on his VW car

Not knowing that the emissions from his car will destroy the scenery and his dad will definitely ask him not to slow down but change his car.

What an irony!!!

IMO these lame attempts will not salvage anything for VW
Karthik Chandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2015, 14:00   #80
Senior - BHPian

This might not be in response to the recent scandal but the new comer into the premium hatch category.

Hence its stress on how the Polo masks the speed of the car.

At least that is what I believe. Maybe someone should put a question as to what happens when the car comes for service? The owner becomes anxious at that point
Old 12th December 2015, 14:03   #81
Senior - BHPian

Dad looking at scenery? Maybe the he was just worried about the harm to the environment being caused
SkyWalker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2015, 08:36   #82
BHPian

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/50156549.cms

So nothing is going to happen ? India rocks.
Metallicar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2015, 07:41   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen Australia too confirms no local models exceed claimed CO2 emissions.

Quote:
Volkswagen has concluded that none of its vehicles sold in Australia produce more carbon dioxide (CO2) than claimed, following a thorough internal investigation into a number of models in its line-up.

The beleaguered car maker today announced that the majority of the models under investigation did correspond with the CO2 figures originally determined, but confirmed nine variants sold overseas showed slightly heightened levels of CO2 emissions.
http://www.caradvice.com.au/402676/v...co2-emissions/
Old 14th December 2015, 11:44   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicar View Post

Its high time Volkswagen Group India should make their stand clear to the customers.

Do cars sold in India are having the cheat device?
Will there be a recall for all cars with EA 189 engines?
If yes what will happen to the engine power, torque and how will the revised dyno graph looks like?

Most importantly every information published should be precise without creating any ambiguity to the reader.

Cheers!
Old 14th December 2015, 17:35   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicar View Post

Something's definitely fishy. First VW, more or less, admitted that they flouted the norms. Then the govt along with ARAI say they found some discrepancies. Suddenly both the govt and VW comes forward and says that those cars comply with the norms. What on earth is going on?
Old 14th December 2015, 19:27   #86
BHPian

Oh my god !!!! What a country we are living in ? It would be better if the government mortgages us all as salves to the western world at once instead of slowly selling the country,it's resources ans people over decades. I expected this from day one guys. Thank god, the scandal wasn't discovered in India in the first place or else VW would've continued its corrupt works shelling out 1/100 th of the fine it's paying as bribe in an attempt to get the top place from Toyota.
I was happy that there was a rectifying action from my favourite VW to make my car Eco-friendly but alas have to continue with the same guilt I get noe every time I gun it around a bit.
printh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2015, 19:45   #87
BHPian

I may have missed this one. I did not find any claims from VW that India models flouted the norms. I thought that the VW stance for Indian models were clear that it wasn't using the cheat mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Something's definitely fishy. First VW, more or less, admitted that they flouted the norms. Then the govt along with ARAI say they found some discrepancies. Suddenly both the govt and VW comes forward and says that those cars comply with the norms. What on earth is going on?
Old 15th December 2015, 09:32   #88
ISO
BANNED

After seeing Indian government stand on VW, no wonder that we don't see any improvement in the actual pollution level in the cities.

This is not just VW, we don't see government is serious about bringing down pollution level.
Old 16th December 2015, 01:34   #89
BHPian

I am still waiting to see any news from ARAI/Govt on the other car testings that was triggered by the VW scandal. May be VW got away with it easily. The cheat software was needed anyways for BS 7. They had to show some action in India and they did that. So "All is well" in the end, like a fairly tale. What does it mean for the new buyers is something that is not clear. For deliveries starting now, will the cars come "fixed" or will a new car go into a recall, kinda of bad feeling.
Old 17th December 2015, 15:13   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
I am still waiting to see any news .
Here it is, statement from ARAI authority,

Quote:
We have never made any statement that VW cars do not meet the current BS-IV emission limits. All those diesel vehicle models in question have been tested and certified as per the current norms
Quote:
Then why the recall?

VW has announced the recall in line with the global disclosure. They have informed us that they will replace the engine control software on all the affected vehicles.
http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...ector/50217620

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th December 2015 at 15:17.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed