Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2016, 08:53   #196
Senior - BHPian

My dad called up the SC. Similar response-updates for the 1.6 haven't been released. But I thought some of our members got their 1.6 updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Oh, except maybe environmental responsibility. But is it even certain that their changes will reduce harmful emissions?
I doubt if the new update makes the car run cleaner.

I remember reading somewhere online that in a diesel engine, the priorities are power, fuel economy and emission results. They can choose any two and compromise on the third. Or get a nice compromise between the three.
But with a lot of members claiming that their fuel economy has increased by ~2kmpl with hardly any perceptible difference in power, I wonder what was compromised.
Yes, the flow straightener reduces the air intake a bit thereby reducing the Nox levels( which I understand was caused by excess air intake). Members even claim their cars feel a bit more difficult to breathe. But there should be a bit less power.

I'll give the benefit of doubt to VW. Let's see what the EPA would say about their new update.
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 11:13   #197
BHPian

Re: Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
So got back from my trip last evening and the drive was great. No issues with performance. The power delivery seems to be more linear and smooth now. Fuel efficency seems to have increased by a kilometer or so. There is no incentive I guess but I would have got the update done anyway as it is required. And I believe, where you want to get the update done or not, I am sure it will be update the next time you give your car for service.
Thank you very much for the frequent updates regarding 2.0 Tdi. Though I am still reluctant for the update, your feedback gives a lot of confidence in case I will go for the update
Old 1st December 2016, 19:32   #198
BHPian

Got our polo updated. (1.5). Pretty happy with it, and the gifts
Attached Thumbnails
Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud-img_20161126_171231.jpg  

Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud-img_20161126_170645.jpg  

Old 2nd December 2016, 21:40   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post

My Fabia 1.2 TDI shows up and I am going to the SVC tomorrow, will keep you updated if I get any info.
Went to SGA Skoda in Coimbatore with a scheduled appointment and was promised delivery at 2 30 PM. Post the upgrade, the ABS light started glowing and the culprit was diagnosed to be a faulty sensor. Wrapped things up by evening and drove 70 Km's back home. Couldn't find any noticeable difference to be frank. If anything, the lower grunt is now better but I doubt that's only a placebo effect. No loud noises or running issues, going on a 250 Km round trip on Sunday which should make things clearer.
Old 3rd December 2016, 21:43   #200
Senior - BHPian

So then, My VW Jetta 2014 2 TDI is updated! Had sent my car in for a ABS sensor issue, Upon which my SA (Who is also a good friend now) Asked me if i wanted to opt for the update, He understood my hesitation and assured me he has done the updates on several jetta's and none had any issue and there is no power loss of any kind, I opted for the update but an unfortunate incident at the service centre has delayed me taking the delivery of the car back, I only got to start the car and i REALLY felt the engine starting up a bit more smoothly! Like i really did feel it.

Will be getting the car back on Wednesday evening, Will post a brief review of the update in my ownership thread as it might help others as well.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2016, 12:07   #201
BHPian

My 2014 1.5 TDI Polo is nearing 60k service and i am giving the car to ASC tomorrow. I have not received any info about software update. But when i checked in the VW app, my VIN is included in the recall group. So should i need to enquire about the upgrade to SA when i give the car or wait until any info comes from VW?
Old 5th December 2016, 14:28   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhinsarath View Post
My 2014 1.5 TDI Polo is nearing 60k service and i am giving the car to ASC tomorrow. I have not received any info about software update. But when i checked in the VW app, my VIN is included in the recall group. So should i need to enquire about the upgrade to SA when i give the car or wait until any info comes from VW?
If its in the recall group, Ask your SA to do it, Because eventually you will get a call and will be asked to send your car again to the service centre, Would be better to do it all at one go itself.
Old 6th December 2016, 15:50   #203
RMB
BHPian

Just completed a 600Kms drive in my updated 1.5MT Rapid. Below are my observations. Hope it helps people take a decision on their car update.
1) Engine knocking exists in 1st and 2nd gear though it has reduced from the time update is done. Or may be I'm getting used to it.
2) Engine sound is changed, guess due to flow straightner. Also it feels car is gasping for air and feels restricted.
3) throttle response has become jerky, have to relearn how to use it during gear changes.
4) The boost is same in 1st and 2nd gear as before, but is totally linear in 3rd,4th and 5th. I dont like it and this makes the engine feel weak. You can still maintain good speeds but overtaking has to be planned as you dont get the boost around 2k rpm to complete a fast overtake.
4) The gear shift indicator has become unrealistic in suggesting upshifts. It suggests to upshift at very low speeds not enough to maintain the momemtum.
5) No change in FE noticed.

I spoke to service adviser and he replied as per Skoda the knocking should subside by 1k mark, but no solution on the change in engine tuning. Also Skoda A** being it, the car care kit was out of stock when update on my car was done. I was promised I'll get a call, but still no call even after a month. I have given up hopes of receiving it.

Planning to write a mail about this to Skoda along with request to undo the update done as I dont like it. For few the above might not be noticable at all, but for few like me it is very annoying. Reason being, I bought the car paying 12L because I liked the engine tuning and boost when compared to other cars in the segment. Cant verify if the engine power is actually impacted.

Last edited by RMB : 6th December 2016 at 16:03.
RMB is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 14:30   #204
BHPian

Got my 2016 model jetta TDI software updated yesterday. Have driven close to 50KM so far. These are my early observations. No power drop or knocking sounds. But engine sounds lot more strained. Don't know if it going to subside after some time. Fuel efficiency seems to be more or less same.
Old 8th December 2016, 14:41   #205
Senior - BHPian

Just crossing posting my review of the update on my Jetta, Can be found here, Hope it helps others and prepares them to whats coming!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post4106236
Old 8th December 2016, 19:49   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyguage View Post
3. A sticker marked on spare wheel located in the trunk.
Could you please post a picture of the sticker? Or anyone who has got the update done.

Last edited by BigBrad : 8th December 2016 at 19:52.
Old 9th December 2016, 15:19   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

My friend has got his New Polo 1.5 TDI remapped from TOT recently. His car has 3 more years warranty left and he cannot do away with this update. He has to go to VW one or other day and they would definitely update.

TOT has told him to get the update done and they would remap again for free.

TOT has already done quite a few cars post software update. I just had a word regarding the same. They have compared the maps and said that VW has "lowered/detuned" maps in various sectors. Difference wouldn't be prominent under normal driving. But if you time the car or dyno it, obviously it wouldn't be as fast or powerful as before.

P.S : We will try to do V Box runs for Polo 1.5 TDI with stock map, stock map( Post update) and TOT remap. This will give a very clear picture.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 9th December 2016 at 15:35.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2016, 22:58   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
P.S : We will try to do V Box runs for Polo 1.5 TDI with stock map, stock map( Post update) and TOT remap. This will give a very clear picture.
That will be of great help to everyone in the community. Looking forward to it.

Doc, "Do or do not, there is no try" - Yoda.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2016, 16:00   #209
CPJ
BHPian

Got my 2015 VW Polo 1.5 TDi updated with the new software yesterday. Since the update I have driven the car for some 100 Km and here are my observations:

Positives:-
  1. The car feels much smoother and quieter at idle.No Knocking sounds at all.
  2. There seems to be slight increase in fuel economy as per MID. This might be due to the fact that, now the MID prompts to upshift a little early. Still need to verify the actual fuel economy by tank full method.
  3. There is no apparent loss of power and the car feels almost the same as it used to feel before the update.
Negatives:-
  1. The biggest negative for me is that the power delivery has become linear and there is no sudden surge that used to be in the second gear at around 2000 rpm earlier. There is no power loss as such and the car still gains speed fast but that turbo kick is gone
Other Important points:
  1. The actual software update takes about 2 hours of time. But total time taken at the service center easily comes out to about 5 hours.
  2. You also get a free Car Care kit from Volkswagen worth 2000/- INR.
  3. There is free car wash from VW as well. The Volkswagen Pune West guys actually did a good job at washing, even better than when I give the car for regular service.
  4. The Service Advisor also gave me a free tissue box & a car freshener.
Overall I would say, I'm happy that the issue has been resolved and if this solution can help in my car emitting greener gases then I'm up for it. I know what Volkswagen did was not right and I know that the update has changed the behavior of the car but still I love my Polo for the smile it brings on my face when I drive it
CPJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 18:31   #210
Senior - BHPian

06 Months Check-Up Mandatory After Software Update?

So I had updated the software in my 2015 VW Jetta TDI in November 2016 and around 10 days ago got a message on my MID saying I have 30 days left for an inspection. My regular service is due in Feb 2016. I bought this car pre-owned and it will complete 02 years in Feb 2017.

I called up my trusted VW service advisor today to ask him what this meant and he informed me that it will now be mandatory for all VW cars to come in for a 06 month general check up. This will be applicable to diesel as well as petrol cars. The general check up will include a check of brakes suspension, battery, etc and importantly the car will also be scanned. I request all those who have had their car's software updated to confirm where they are also getting this message on their MID and whether this mandatory 06 month check is true.

He is not yet clear on whether this 'general check-up' is free or a paid service. I guess I will get to know in 20 days time

Now I have been reading on various threads here that many are disappointed with the power of their 'software updated' cars and are looking to have the same remapped. I however, suggest to kindly check the above before going ahead with the update else it will be a waste.

Most Viewed