Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2017, 20:15   #271
BANNED

Re: Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud

I just saw this rolling headline on Deutsche Welle channel -"Porsche cars to face tests for diesel emissions." I could not follow up on it and am wondering if this is a another new thread to emissions gate. This was about 10 minutes ago - 8:14 pm, 13th June.

Mods if this is old hat, or its in the wrong thread, please delete.
Old 14th June 2017, 01:11   #272
BHPian

I put in my Vento's VIN number and apparently it is one which is recalled for a diesel action of some sort. What exactly does this entail and what exactly does VW do?
Old 14th June 2017, 23:51   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razer2911 View Post
Just got a call from Autobahn Navi Mumbai that a software update is available for my 2014 Vento 1.6. The whole reason I bought it was for performance and as per the reports that's gonna go down the drain if I get this update.
> I like to get the service done at the workshop for peace of mind but now I won't be able to visit for the fear of the update. (Some people have reported updates being done even after signing a form)
> I was planning an ECU remap for later this year but don't know how that would be affected or whether it will override the damage done by this software fix.
You can decline the update. Whenever you visit the workshop, simply ask the SA, to put down a note asking them not to update the ECU. At most, you can meet the person who does ECU update and tell him not to update the ECU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
What exactly does this entail and what exactly does VW do?
Its for the Emission Issue. VW would update the ECU and insert a Air Flow straighter inside air intake piping. Net result
-More clatter
-Reduction in power/torque curve
-Higher Fuel Efficiency
-Overall character of engine will be lost. It will get tamed.

International websites have also reported that post update, customers have faced parts failure. I would suggest not to get the update done.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 14:56   #274

Received a call from Skoda workshop for a "mandatory" software upgrade for my 2013 1.6TDI Rapid. I just got the car serviced from the same workshop in April.
Based on previous comments, this upgrade is not advised and will degrade performance and incread rattle/sluggishness.Has anyone received this update recently and noticed the same behavior? Did any Skoda workshop forcefully perform this upgrade on subsequent services? Are the VW/Skoda owners doing anything about this in India on the legal front?
Old 15th June 2017, 17:27   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketsachan View Post
Received a call from Skoda workshop for a "mandatory" software upgrade for my 2013 1.6TDI Rapid. I just got the car serviced from the same workshop in April.

Based on previous comments, this upgrade is not advised and will degrade performance and incread rattle/sluggishness.Has anyone received this update recently and noticed the same behavior? Did any Skoda workshop forcefully perform this upgrade on subsequent services? Are the VW/Skoda owners doing anything about this in India on the legal front?

Mine is a 1.6 TDI Rapid as well and I got the update done about a month back. In my view the update hasn't done any significant damage to the 1.6.

There is increased engine clatter at lower speeds and that initial surge in power has flattened out a bit, but by and large the engine characteristics remain unchanged. Here's my suggestion, since you maybe due for service only in March 2018 considering you have just got the vehicle serviced, wait it out and then see what's to be done when the time comes. There is no real sense of urgency to get it done right away. And even if you did get it done there isn't anything that will bother you too much, at least that's my feedback post the update and this is specifically in relation to the 1.6 TDI.
motorworks is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 11:48   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
They're doing it in the USA because that's the biggest car market in the world and VW has always been weak out there. Europe, they won't because they are already strong. India = no such incentive as their sales are too little for VW HQ to be bothered.
They did provide me with free car care kit - costing 1999 in VW service centre (includes car polish, windshield wash, tyre polish, dashboard polish, microfibre clothes, car wash liquid etc.)

Thats the perk I got for loud engine noise, sluggish response from my engine.

Also, I do experience unusual hitching/jerking from engine
Issue description: Whenever, I am gliding at 10-25km/hr in second gear with half clutch in slow moving traffick. On slow release of clutch, feels like its tough on engine to match that rpm smoothly and sometimes get feeling of engine being hitched (feel small jerk to accelerator pedal), co-passengers would not realize them but I certainly experience it. This was completely absent earlier. I try to be as careful as possible in clutch release and pressing on gas pedal... still it gets me sometime. Currently I have 46k kms on my polo. Update done at 45k on 3rd service.

I am yet to take it to service centre due to busy schedule, and get official explanation from VW guys.
Old 20th June 2017, 14:23   #277
BHPian

The Vento is currently at the service center for an engine malfunction light. Got a call regarding the emissions update and I told them that I do not want the update. The lady agreed to my request. I'll be picking the car up today or tomorrow. Will keep you guys posted.
Old 6th July 2017, 14:05   #278
BHPian

Skoda EA 189 Service Campaign

I got a letter from Skoda mentioning about technical update of the engine management system.

Anyone else got this letter and what is this update about. Should I go ahead with this or not.

I am attaching the letter copy.
Attached Thumbnails
Official: Volkswagen recalls 3.24 lakh cars in India over emissions fraud-1499330030549452248805.jpg  

smack_himanshu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 14:08   #279
BHPian

Re: Skoda EA 189 Service Campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack_himanshu View Post
I got a letter from Skoda mentioning about technical update of the engine management system.

Anyone else got this letter and what is this update about. Should I go ahead with this or not.

Which model of car do you own? that would help throw some light.
Old 6th July 2017, 14:18   #280
Team-BHP Support

This would most likely be related to the aftermath of VW's dieselgate; with VW dealers going full steam on getting the update done, Skoda might be next.

The first link that pops up on Google search is this:

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topi...a-189-engines/

You might want to go through the thread here and the one above to make up your mind on whether you want to get it done.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-fraud-9.html
Old 6th July 2017, 14:56   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack_himanshu View Post

Hey Himanshu,

Hope this update is to fix the dieselgate issue. I own a 2014 Rapid 1.6 TDI. I did not get any letter, but the software was updated when my car went in for some running repairs. The update is carried out for all the vehicles as and when the vehicle goes in for maintenance/service. There is already a thread discussing the details/effects of this update. Here you go http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...xperience.html
Old 6th July 2017, 17:55   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

http://www.skoda-auto.co.in/aid/skod...rvice-campaign

Dear Customers and Friends of the ŠKODA Brand

Starting September 2016, in line with Volkswagen Group India’s decision, ŠKODA AUTO India is beginning the service campaign for Superb, Laura, Yeti, Rapid (1.5L TDI CR), Rapid (1.6L TDI CR) and Fabia (1.2L TDI) related to the EA189 diesel engines.
The proposed implementation of the service campaign will be in a phased manner as the software update will be released in several batches.
As soon as the update for your ŠKODA vehicle is available, you will receive an invitation to book an appointment with an authorized ŠKODA partner at a time of your convenience. Alternatively, to determine if your vehicle is part of this service campaign, you can enter the 17 alpha-numeric character long identification number (VIN code) in the section below. You can find the VIN code on the bottom left / right of your windscreen and in the Registration certificate of the vehicle.
We would like to assure you that the trust of our customers and the public is and will remain our most important asset. We deeply regret that this situation has arisen. The important thing for our customers to know is that all vehicles are safe and roadworthy. We take full responsibility for the costs of the implementation of the necessary technical measures. Thank you for your understanding.
Thank you for your confidence and loyalty to the ŠKODA brand.
Old 6th July 2017, 19:16   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek View Post
Which model of car do you own? that would help throw some light.
I own 2013 Laura TDI
Old 6th July 2017, 23:16   #284
BHPian

http://jalopnik.com/i-bought-a-volks...1795920529/amp

Read this for a different take on VW. One has to agree, these are solid cars!
Old 7th July 2017, 14:17   #285
BHPian

After the dieselgate, now it is another recall, this time for brakes.

http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/1...or-brake-issue

There appears to be no official statement from VW yet. I suspect this is initial unconfirmed information.
swissknife is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed