Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2016, 19:54   #46
BHPian

re: Honda working on City Facelift. EDIT: Launched at Rs 8.5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
The Current city is the best City ever made. I think these issues with quality are being blown out of proportion. In fact the current one has be hugely successful. The Ciaz is cheaper and offers a lot of what the City offers and hence it has won on Price Price and Price. Being newer to the market also helps. The Brio and Amaze had terrible dashboards and it was almost a must to change. Anyone and everyone complained about the shape of the thing (also they were market Duds in many ways) . Remember the dashboard redesign allowed them to change it in 4 different products simultaneously and hence the costs were divided over 4 cars (amaze, brio, mobilio and BRV).
The City being the best ever and the quality issues discussion do not belong here! This is merely about the facelift, and I, for one, do believe that Honda would make more money by fixing it's product and selling it, rather than letting it's competitors take it's market share!

Regarding the cost, sure the dash change in the Brio platform was divided with 4 cars. Cumulative sales of the cars based on Brio platform is ~6200 units for September. Cumilative sales of the cars on City platform is ~8000 units, and 5800 of those were Honda Citys. I don't know why it wouldn't make sense to invest a lot in the City facelift!
Old 1st November 2016, 20:32   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
No other City has had so many complaints, and so Honda may just be getting rid of the 4th gen City image fully and focus on getting the top spot in sales again.
Yes, there are a lot of complaints made about the New City. But what about the previous version city? Were the complaints less because TBHP members were less or are there any specific statistics to show that. One statistic I can find is in the link below. The Skoda Rapid scores higher than the previous version City.

http://india.jdpower.com/press-relea...lity-study-vds

But that doesn't mean Skoda Rapid is a perfect vehicle. There were still 100 cars reporting some sort of dependability problems. Now, the authenticity of this survey can be questioned. But where do we have other statistics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
The Current city is the best City ever made. I think these issues with quality are being blown out of proportion. In fact the current one has be hugely successful. The Ciaz is cheaper and offers a lot of what the City offers and hence it has won on Price Price and Price.
Is it the best city ever made? May be on certain parameters. But considering the cost cutting going across the world in almost every industry, we really don't know what has actually happened. And this is true for every car probably excluding the top end versions of Benz, BMW, Audi, Rolls Royce etc. The world is crazy about profit now.

What was said about Ciaz is correct. Apart from the price, the Maruti brand has a lot of importance in India. Personally, not with me though. I spend around 35K for my Wagon R on repairs (shaft, clutch etc) for a driving of just under 30K kilometers. I don't think I would buy Maruti again.

Note: I own the latest Petrol CVT City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoticoreventon View Post
The City being the best ever and the quality issues discussion do not belong here! This is merely about the facelift, and I, for one, do believe that Honda would make more money by fixing it's product and selling it, rather than letting it's competitors take it's market share!
Are we sure that the newer version of the city going to have lesser niggles? It all again depends on the Honda corporate decision. Unless and until our country does have stricter safety regulations, this is going to continue. Cosmetic changes does not ensure quality, correct?

Last edited by adarsh76 : 1st November 2016 at 20:34.
adarsh76 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2016, 10:45   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

CarDekho sources claim that Honda Cars India will be launching the City facelift by mid-January 2017.

The mid-life facelifted City might see changes in the form of projector headlamps up front, new alloy wheels, an infotainment system supporting both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, and/or LED tail lamps.

Engine-wise, the 2017 City is expected to continue with the same 1.5L i-VTEC and the 1.5L i-DTEC mills, with the i-VTEC now paired to a 6-speed manual transmission, besides the existing CVT.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 18:40   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Some more info on the 2017 Honda City facelift:

Quote:
While the City facelift will bear resemblance to the current one, it will get a new Accord-like nose and chin, with a thick chrome band running across the grille. Sitting below that will be a new bumper, with a more prominent air dam and larger fog lamp housings. The headlights will be new too and get projector units. Moving to the rear, the City facelift will get a redesigned bumper and re-profiled tail-lamps as well.

A major equipment upgrade will be the new infotainment system with Android Auto and a mobile mirror feature. This system is being co-developed with Blaupunkt. Top-spec cars will get six airbags as standard, along with leather seats and a soft-touch dashboard.
Autocar India
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 20:02   #50
BHPian

6 airbags would be a welcome addition. Hope they take care of puny tyres and NVH levels too.
Old 30th November 2016, 21:59   #51
Senior - BHPian

These changes will help the City retain its leadership. But Honda should make sure not to price it exorbitantly, which it is known for. The Ciaz is a good 2 lakhs cheaper & with New Verna arriving Next Year, Honda better price thier Best Selling Car well. This will be the determining thing for its success in future.

Honda, that Fantastic 1.5 iVTEC engine needs 6th Gear, I hope you make this change. Many have reported the same. Like many have mentioned, improved noise insulation would be a welcome change.
Old 7th December 2016, 23:49   #52
BHPian

In my view Honda should launch a no compromise City with class leading features and safety kit. Charge a premium for the quality and you'd still see the demand evidenced unequivocallyby the success of Creta in India. Consumers in our country are evolving and voting with their wallets for quality.
epuneet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 14:22   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epuneet View Post
In my view Honda should launch a no compromise City with class leading features and safety kit. Charge a premium for the quality and you'd still see the demand evidenced unequivocallyby the success of Creta in India. Consumers in our country are evolving and voting with their wallets for quality.
If Honda was to launch the City in the "no compromise" manner the way you imagine, which is technically very much possible for Honda, and then some, the resulting cost of the vehicle would be in the area of the Innova Crysta. Now guess where that would leave us. And guess what the next post here would be: "I wish Honda could match the costing of the cheapest one in the segment and make it more exciting!" Right?

The cost equation that Hyundai manages to offer up is not somehow practically possible for all brands. Each have their own usp.

Even the mighty Innova and its reliability quotient has been damaged with the latest Crysta offering. Creaks and niggles galore everywhere. Go check the forums. Its anybody's guess that this won't be the case in all countries. So why is it a different game in India? Go figure.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 21:24   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epuneet View Post
Charge a premium for the quality and you'd still see the demand evidenced .
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
If Honda was to launch the City in the "no compromise" manner the way you imagine, which is technically very much possible for Honda, and then some, the resulting cost of the vehicle would be in the area of the Innova Crysta. So why is it a different game in India? Go figure.
Last Gen (3rd to be specific) City was pricier than the current gen and people were bashing it for being low on features and high on pricing.

This gen City, priced correctly than earlier generation and is better on features and people are all bashing it for being low on quality.

Last Gen City had a beautiful petrol engine but people complained of not having a diesel motor under the hood. now the current gen has a diesel motor but people are complaining of it being noisy, inefficient, not smooth and all other associated attributes that such engine can get.

People will always complain. It's not that car manufacturer's are always at fault.

PS - It's also not that the current gen City doesn't have issues. It certainly has many. But there is reason behind it. When everyone wants to buy a Honda City at less price with more features, the once very premium Honda City was bound to lose its 'premiumness' and gain issues and problems.
Old 8th December 2016, 23:49   #55
BHPian

Previous gen Honda City were substantially better than their competitors
Today Ciaz is a worthy alternative to the Honda apart from being VFM.
Not to mention The new Verna shall make life even more difficult for City in all areas.
City needs to do some work to maintain its position.
Old 9th December 2016, 14:17   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitinBatra View Post
Previous gen Honda City were substantially better than their competitors
Today Ciaz is a worthy alternative to the Honda apart from being VFM.
Not to mention The new Verna shall make life even more difficult for City in all areas.
City needs to do some work to maintain its position.
Customers now have many choices as opposed to the time when 3rd gen City was largely the only option available besides Verna to a certain extent. Vento and Rapid was hugely untested then. Four years ago, families were considered rich if they drove a City. Hardly 2K/3K C2 segment cars were sold monthly.

Now we have several options (verna, city, ciaz, vento, rapid, vios-upcoming, linea-also-ran) and rapid product iterations. And C2 segment sells more than 12K cars each month. We will likely notice that when Vios is launched, it will sell another 3K cars on its own expanding the frontier for C2 further. The moot point is Ciaz is not an alternative to any other C2 car - each product created its own market.

In 2017, with Ciaz and City only undergoing mid-life facelifts, I will be more excited about Verna which is considered an overhaul than a facelift with its super competent diesel engine. Again, that feeling is very personal.

Last edited by bhaskaracs : 9th December 2016 at 14:18.
Old 9th December 2016, 20:42   #57
BHPian

Not sure if this has been posted before. Came across this:

http://forum.autocarindia.com/index....comment-168104
Attached Thumbnails
Honda working on City Facelift. EDIT: Launched at Rs 8.5 lakhs-hondagreiz2016001.jpg.8bc7d67a9b6ecc6e548eb0a20a44a31b.jpg  

Last edited by saion666 : 9th December 2016 at 20:52.
Old 9th December 2016, 20:59   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
Not sure if this has been posted before. Came across this:

http://forum.autocarindia.com/index....comment-168104
That's the Honda Griez, a Chinese Version of City. It isn't sold anywhere else apart from China. Honda India is unlikely to carry the same changes here. Even if it's similar, there will be some minor changes for Indian & Thailand Versions.

Also, if you compare the previous Facelifts that Honda have launched for all thier cars (Including the Discontinued Civic), It's been more of a subtle changes, so I expect the New 2017 City to be the same. I expect few changes like New Grille, Headlamps from Grace Hybrid, etc

But, the things that Honda needs to do/address are,

1. Better NVH, especially Diesel.
2. Improved Suspension
3. Better Alloy Wheels
4. Missing Equipment
5. Rear Seat Headrests
6. Diesel CVT Option

Last edited by CarguyNish : 9th December 2016 at 21:01.
CarguyNish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2016, 23:06   #59
BHPian

I think the most major difference between the current gen City and previous gen Citys is that they were all revolutionary in nature, and drastically different from the older car. In comparison, the current gen took more of an evolutionary approach which was good until they messed up on the quality. Basically the 4th gen wasn't as big a leap forward like the 3rd gen, or even the 2nd gen. I'd like the next gen car to be more revolutionary and exciting.

As for the facelift, I doubt that it'll look similar to the Greiz. Whatever they do, I hope they make the following improvements -

1. Better NVH, especially the diesel. While the petrol engine is as refined as they come, there's a lot of road noise.

2. Better interior quality. Honda seriously needs to pull up their socks here.

3. More equipment, especially in the base variants (E, S) which feel really stripped down. In comparison, the previous gen City CE was well equipped for its time.

4. PRICE. With the Ciaz facelift and new Verna, they can't mess this up.
Aaron:) is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2016, 17:33   #60
BHPian

I had a word with a sales executive from one of the dealers here in Mumbai, he said that they have heard internally that the facelift has been postponed to March. He also told me that about Rs. 55k is the discount on existing stocks, Honda is not producing any new cars in December and only clearing existing stocks. Both these statements sounded contradictory. I am eagerly waiting for the facelift after having decided to skip BR-V. Any updates on the launch of the facelift? In case it is indeed a March launch then I may switch to another car as Jan is my deadline to buy a car.

Thanks!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks