Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2016, 15:18   #646
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
Also, the rear bumper appeared to be a stylized bumper beam - something which everyone places as an aftermarket bumper guard here...I guess that's good, but it's not a *real* bumper - as is required in the US.
Innova Crysta has done pretty well with crash tests and scored a 4 on 5 for variants without ESC.

Source: http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ap-400275.aspx

For variants with stability control, it got a 5 on 5.

I'm not sure what your point is about the bumper not being real? Is it from a safety perspective or aesthetics?

Last edited by t2k4 : 16th May 2016 at 15:23. Reason: Incorrect sentence construction fixed.
t2k4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2016, 15:21   #647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2k4 View Post
Innova Crysta has done pretty well with crash tests and scored a 4 on 5 for variants without ESC.

Source: http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ap-400275.aspx

For variants with stability control, it got a 5 on 5.

I'm sure what your point is about the bumper not being real? Is it from a safety perspective or aesthetics?
It's basically a beam attached to the rear (I would assume ladder frame) of the car - which we all have to use for Toyota vehicles here in India - such as the current Innova and Fortuner - which do not have anything inside the plastic shell which *appears* to be a bumper... (Nothing inside but air)
Old 16th May 2016, 18:40   #648
BHPian

Quote:
It's basically a beam attached to the rear (I would assume ladder frame) of the car - which we all have to use for Toyota vehicles here in India - such as the current Innova and Fortuner - which do not have anything inside the plastic shell which *appears* to be a bumper... (Nothing inside but air)
This is not limited to Toyota. A lot of other manufacturers have a similar strategy. Bumpers are made of some sort of plastic these days, so their usefulness as crash protectors whether hollow or not is debatable. It's the airbags and the steel frames that make the difference in case of a crash. If I remember correctly, Ciaz's rear bumper lip protrudes further out than the bumper itself, so that should make it pretty apparent the trust manufacturers place in bumpers.
Old 16th May 2016, 21:08   #649
BHPian

Toyota India has announced that they have received more than 15,000 bookings for the new Innova and over 60% of them are for the top end 2.8 ZX Automatic.

Now, this is an extremely good news to hear, Indian consumers have finally started spending on cars and have understood the need of safety features and proper equipment, moreover the trend of buying Automatics is increasing drastically in India thanks to the Urban driving conditions. This also proves the fact that a lot of Private buyers who prefers self driving has also opted for the Innova because if Automatic wouldn't have been a criteria I guess people would have went in for the 2.4 ZX! The right choice if you're chauffeur driven. The 2.8 indeed feels like a stellar deal, with decent equipment, 174 bhp on tap mated to an Auto box and the unmatched comfort Innova offers.

Last edited by YashD : 16th May 2016 at 21:10.
Old 16th May 2016, 21:46   #650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2k4 View Post
This is not limited to Toyota. A lot of other manufacturers have a similar strategy. Bumpers are made of some sort of plastic these days, so their usefulness as crash protectors whether hollow or not is debatable. It's the airbags and the steel frames that make the difference in case of a crash. If I remember correctly, Ciaz's rear bumper lip protrudes further out than the bumper itself, so that should make it pretty apparent the trust manufacturers place in bumpers.
What you are stating as "bumpers" are actually *bumper covers*.

There is a big difference.

As laws exist for bumpers to be of a certain standard in the USA to protect cars in low-speed accidents / occupants of vehicles in higher-speed accidents, this is why I have opined as I have.

However, it is surprising for me to read that the National Highway Transportation Safety Board reduced the 5 mph requirement to a 2 mph requirement...: http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/s...per/Index.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
Toyota India has announced that they have received more than 15,000 bookings for the new Innova and over 60% of them are for the top end 2.8 ZX Automatic.

Now, this is an extremely good news to hear, Indian consumers have finally started spending on cars and have understood the need of safety features and proper equipment, moreover the trend of buying Automatics is increasing drastically in India thanks to the Urban driving conditions. This also proves the fact that a lot of Private buyers who prefers self driving has also opted for the Innova because if Automatic wouldn't have been a criteria I guess people would have went in for the 2.4 ZX! The right choice if you're chauffeur driven. The 2.8 indeed feels like a stellar deal, with decent equipment, 174 bhp on tap mated to an Auto box and the unmatched comfort Innova offers.
I was just at my Toyota dealer *again* this evening to fix a problem of how they configured the car (not a Crysta) - but they went ahead and fixed it without my being present.

In any case, while checking out the Crysta again, I found the quality to be amazing.

Was sitting down with one of the senior managers when a guy interrupted and said he would pay the full price for the Crysta (ZX auto) if he could take delivery of the car in the showroom! Wow...

Apparently the one in the showroom is said to be of a "rare" color - a purple - which is very attractive, imo also.

Understand that this particular dealer has about 80 orders for the Crysta and I also saw a check for 1L being accepted (understand that they are taking 1L by copying Ford...(Endy)) within the 1 hour I was there.

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy : 16th May 2016 at 21:52.
Old 16th May 2016, 22:27   #651
BHPian

Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016

Quote:
What you are stating as "bumpers" are actually *bumper covers*.

There is a big difference .

Sorry, I meant the rear boot lip protrudes farther out than the bumper itself. In either case, you're right. The bumpers are not what they used to be - I remember the original Maruti 800 (the Japanese import) that my Dad drove had solid metal bumpers front and back. If I remember correctly, we bought it for 65K, drove it for 8-10 years and sold it for 85K.

Last edited by t2k4 : 16th May 2016 at 22:29.
Old 17th May 2016, 07:44   #652
Senior - BHPian

Very quick update as I am running extremely busy.

I drove it this morning for 5 kms and reset.

Drove with a light foot. I mean really light foot. It gave me 14 kpl !!

BUT ( and its a big BUT ) the power on tap on this vehicle is not easy to resist and driving with a light foot means you need to be really patient and determined.

However glad to know the engine is capable of delivering good FE.

I am taking this car to delhi to drop someone to the airport this Friday and I shall report my findings on FE this weekend.
vkochar is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 17:26   #653
BANNED

IMO, Toyota should have given Crysta a more mature look. The thin front-bumper and lower air-dam design doesn't gel well with the car.
(Original image source: Gadiwaadi)
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016-toyotainnovacrystapics9_0.jpg  

Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016-toyotainnovacrystapics9.jpg  

Last edited by romeomidhun : 17th May 2016 at 17:31.
Old 17th May 2016, 20:16   #654
Senior - BHPian

I drove this car today as my regular car for over 50 kms as I generally have multiple places to visit and I planned it this way today to not go into any crowded areas and keep it to the highway and other places where parking is aplenty. My nature of work is such that I visit various places and I can choose certain days where I can plan to take this car out and other days I could just take a smaller car where I know the roads are bad and dirty.

I am pleased to report that today being one of the hottest days 48 Degrees this car was cold as a Freezer in about 5 minutes after standing in direct sunlight ( zero shade ) for over 3 hours so the AC part is taken care off.

Coming to its driveability I have started getting hang of it as the At / Gears are fun to play with.

There is no HUM as mentioned by a member here.

The FE today hovered around the 10 kpl mark.

So far done 190 kms and its one point over the half way mark. So I would say I am around 8 kpl. I expect when I top up this car would show me North of 10 kpl in only city driving.

I do look forward to the Yamuna expressway to and fro on Friday.

My driver is unhappy that I have not given him the car to drive yet but he knows this Friday he is going to get it ! I cannot drive it all by myself having a driver. Although I have to admit I have enjoyed every bit of the driving done so far.

Its not tiring at all. The seats are supremely comfortable and the suspension is like Magic. This car is a joy to be in whether passenger or driver. Who would have thought a driver would say this about an Innova.

The Sat Nav and ICE is brilliant. I tweaked the settings and the sound is great now.

The Lights are WOW !! I remember someone mentioning on this thread there are Projectors and LED's and what excellent throw they have. The white crisp light is excellent and the AUTO mode keeps it just right. it dims the brightness on the screens as well.

The Car remains to be a head turner. Everyone and I have to repeat everyone looks at this car to have another glance. I stay in a heavily tourist neighborhood and the drivers seem to leap out of their positions to get a glance.

The front is least to say the most beautiful part of the car. The rear has started to grown on me and I quite like it. Its very likeable. When you see it at first glance you do feel a bit weird but its not bad at all.

Did I mention that I brought Carpet Mats & Mud flaps ( Big Plastic ones ) from the Dealership as these were the only accessories available for the new crysta. I had to ask them for this. They did not even bother telling me to buy anything. This cost me 4000 something. I thought it was a bargain as it fit the car like it was supposed to be there.

Dont understand why a 24 lac rupee car does not come with Mud Flaps & Mats !!

If there is one grouch I have with this car it will have to be Rear Disc Brakes. Why there are drums baffles me. The braking however is excellent.

The easy back door works great. I tried it 6-7 times.

The seats foldability etc has not been tried yet but I am due for a long road trip end of this month and that will test the cars luggage abilities which of course are not doubted. Its why the car was purchased.

Overall to sum it up its an absolutely fantastic purchase. Anyone looking at this segment. This is a no brainer. Get it before there are insane waiting periods and possible price hikes.

I for one have become a Toyota Fan.

I will post plenty of pictures this weekend.
vkochar is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 23:56   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Is the middle row adjustable?
Yes! The Captain Seats can slide back and forth and recline.
Old 18th May 2016, 09:16   #656
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Regarding the rear seats, I had an issue climbing into them. The floor seems raised and I had to struggle to get in. Was more comfortable getting into the smaller BRV third row. Also not sure if it's something to do with the test car, but I was totally cramped for space. Something I did not expect from the class leader. Is the middle row adjustable?
The BR-V doesn't have a ladder chasis below which means the floor can be lower. In case of Innova it's difficult to achieve the lower floor height.

The third row is only comfortable for tall people with the middle row slid slightly forward. I found it as comfy as the older Innova in my short time there during Auto Expo.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 09:43   #657
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post
Yes! The Captain Seats can slide back and forth and recline.
Thank you. Probably I should have tried this in the showroom itself. But since the AC was off being a Sunday, I just wanted to get out of the suffocation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I found it as comfy as the older Innova in my short time there during Auto Expo.
I've never been in the third row of the earlier Innova either.
Old 18th May 2016, 11:48   #658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Toyota India will be introducing a 2.7L petrol variant of it's most popular Indian offering before the festive season ahead.

Sales have declined in the Delhi/NCR region ever since the Supreme Court ban on registration of diesel cars with 2,000cc & above displacement came into effect, and to counter this, Toyota India's R&D team has fast-tracked the development of this all-new petrol heart for the Innova Crysta together with their Japanese counterparts.

[/url]
I would be surprised, if they are actually developing a a new 2.7 petrol from scratch. That too for Delhi alone.

They have a vast range of engines already worldwide.
The 2.7 Petrol is already readily available with them, which is used in RAV4, camry abroad.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_AR_engine
Old 18th May 2016, 12:34   #659
BHPian

Good 8.5 lakh difference between Top and Bottom variants is quiet wide. Wouldn't like to pay 26+ against 17 lacs and driving pretty much same looking car on road. Might make sense from a functional point of view but nothing for snob.

Last edited by Passiautonate : 18th May 2016 at 12:35. Reason: Pic not coming properly
Passiautonate is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 13:23   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passiautonate View Post
Good 8.5 lakh difference between Top and Bottom variants is quiet wide. Wouldn't like to pay 26+ against 17 lacs and driving pretty much same looking car on road. Might make sense from a functional point of view but nothing for snob.
True. However, the same applies for most manufacturers. BMW 5-series range has a big difference between entry spec and top end variant. Driving BMW itself might give an individual a feel-good factor, but the exteriors across variants are more or less the same. The differences are under the hood and the interior appointments. The same applies to Innova. The badging on the rear side will tell the onlookers which variant is being driven but Innova or any other MPV for that matter (Mercedes R class included IMO) is not meant to give a wow or snob feeling. It's a people mover. There are after-market kits available that can spice up the exteriors but that's about it.

Last edited by t2k4 : 18th May 2016 at 13:28.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks