Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2016, 08:50   #526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Good news for all the crysta seekers,both the 2.4 and 2.8 litre engines are made in Thailand

I hope the new fortuner also gets the engine block from thailand

Only the initial batches will have Thai make engines. Toyota is readying a new plant by June for Diesel engine manufacturing in India. So the later batches will have Indian made in engines.
Needless to say Toyota won't pass the benefits to us.
Old 9th May 2016, 08:57   #527
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016

Quote:
Good news for all the crysta seekers,both the 2.4 and 2.8 litre engines are made in Thailand

I hope the new fortuner also gets the engine block from thailand
Knowing Toyota, I doubt if there would be any difference at all between a Thai and India made engine in regards to quality and feel.
tharian is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 09:51   #528
Team-BHP Support

Not sure if this is unrelated but I'm curious if the all new Fortuner AT will feel the same to drive as the Innova AT. The Innova AT'S refinement was just about tolerable for the Innova. No fatal flaws but nothing to write home about. In the Fortuner segment which would presumably be 32 lakh+ on road, not sure I'd be so happy with those levels of performance.

Curious to see how the endeavour and Fortuner automatics will compare on driving experience on the auto trannies.
Old 9th May 2016, 09:55   #529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoj_joseph78 View Post
Why is that a good news? Am I missing something?
Exactly. Thailand is not the last word in precision engineering, Toyota is.
extreme_torque is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 11:06   #530
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Absolutely, its not the country that matter, its the manufacturer in question that matters. Toyota for all sake would follow standard practices whichever country it is, unless the design and specifications are different.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 12:47   #531
BHPian

I test drove the Crysta ZX AT yesterday at Viva Toyota on the way to Airport. Only the ZX and VX variants were on display, there was no GX. Also, there were no 8 seaters on display.

The AT was responsive and quick to up shift. I touched 100 kmph in no time on the Airport road, the car is simply fast, thanks to the 360NM torque from a very low 1200 RPM.

Tested both ECO and Power modes. Upon selecting the ECO mode, there was a slight drop in the AC fan speed. I am not sure if the AC compressor itself is drawing less power from the engine or it is only the fan speed. The Power mode is equivalent to sports mode, the accelerator was more responsive and the car up shifts at higher RPMs.

Other observations:
  1. The low beam LED projector is whitish blue and high beam (halogen) is the standard yellow. The parking lamps are whitish blue. The fogs are standard yellow. If we have different coloured low/high beams and fogs, would it help or impact the highway visibility?
  2. When the headlamp is in OFF position, and you pull the stalk to flash the headlamp, the low beams and high beams simultaneously flashed! I asked the service person and he confirmed that this is the standard behaviour. I fail to understand the need to flash with both low and high beams, have not observed this in other cars.
  3. Also, there is no manual knob for headlamp levelling. It is completely automatic and adjusts based on vehicle load. In India, we still have to adjust the beams based on the speed and road too, so a manual leveller is sorely missed.
  4. No 12V socket for the 3rd row. there are only 2 12V sockets for the whole car, one in front and one in middle row.
  5. I was able to sit comfortably in the last row after inclining the seat. I tried sitting in the middle position of last row, the gaps in the split seats doesn't give a comfortable seating position, even kids cannot sit in the middle position. So, it is effectively a 2 seater.
  6. For a customer paying 21.xx Lakhs (ex-showroom) for the ZX, the lack of 3 seater option for 2nd row is very sad. I have tweeted this and I hope Toyota offers this very soon.
Since the Fortuner is going to be launched with the same 2.8L engine, the Crysta will have better ride and more power/weight and torque/weight ratio.

People considering XUV W10 FWD AT, who want better long term reliability and resale would consider Crysta ZX AT. Even though it is costlier by 5 Lakhs on-road, it would get adjusted in the resale and peace of mind.

Autocar's 0-100 timings:
The Crysta ZX AT does it 11.46 secs. The XUV W10 AT, which is having very similar 18xx kgs kerb weight also does it in 11.xx secs. But XUV has significantly less power and torque and XUV's 330NM torque kicks in only at 1600 RPM, where as, Crysta's 360NM kicks in from 1200 RPM itself. So, I wonder, why Innova is not significantly faster to 100 compared to XUV.

Last edited by Voyager-1 : 9th May 2016 at 12:56. Reason: Adding 0-100 numbers.
Voyager-1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 18:56   #532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Not sure if this is unrelated but I'm curious if the all new Fortuner AT will feel the same to drive as the Innova AT. The Innova AT'S refinement was just about tolerable for the Innova. No fatal flaws but nothing to write home about. In the Fortuner segment which would presumably be 32 lakh+ on road, not sure I'd be so happy with those levels of performance.
Curious to see how the endeavour and Fortuner automatics will compare on driving experience on the auto trannies.
Your analysis is spot on
I am in the same boat too, really curious to get my hands on the new Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Absolutely, its not the country that matter, its the manufacturer in question that matters. Toyota for all sake would follow standard practices whichever country it is, unless the design and specifications are different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Knowing Toyota, I doubt if there would be any difference at all between a Thai and India made engine in regards to quality and feel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Only the initial batches will have Thai make engines. Toyota is readying a new plant by June for Diesel engine manufacturing in India. So the later batches will have Indian made in engines.
Needless to say Toyota won't pass the benefits to us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manoj_joseph78 View Post
Why is that a good news? Am I missing something?
Don't want to start an argument here but
I believe there will be a huge difference in the quality control irrespective of the brand.

An an engine which is manufactured for export to several countries will undergo stringent quality checks and an engine is manufactured for the local market will be different.

eg.1:Why was export of Indian made Ford ecosport and other brands traded for Thai made/Euro made ones?
Same brand right?
It's easy to bypass quality in India, we have to accept that.

eg 2: Please compare the quality of fluid containers in the engine bay of the new Innova.
You can spot 2 qualities, one made in India and the other made in Thailand

eg3: Compare the overall quality of the Thai Fortuner/Innova to that of Indian one.

All I am saying is that we cannot do anything about the OEM ancillary quality supply (fluid containers ,door pads, hoses etc) but atleast be happy that the heart of the car is of a superior grade.

PS:All the above personal opinions are based on extensive research and observation.
Not intended at hurting anyone's feelings
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta @ Auto Expo 2016-img20160509wa0004.jpg  

Last edited by ecosport rules : 9th May 2016 at 19:15.
ecosport rules is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 19:07   #533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dont want to start an argument here but
I believe there will be a huge difference in the quality control irrespective of the brand.

An an engine which is manufactured for export to several countries will undergo stringent quality checks and an engine is manufactured for the local market will be different.

eg.Why was export of Indian made ecosport traded for Thai made ones?
Same brand right?
Its easy to bypass quality in India, we have to accept that.

Another eg, Please compare the quality of fluid containers in the engine bay of the new Innova.
You can spot 2 qualities, one made in India and the other made in Thailand
100% agree with you on that. The difference in quality control is night and day. One of the reasons why Nissan (Micra), Renault (Duster), Ford (Ecosport), Hyundai are shifting their export bases to Europe, albeit the higher cost of manufacturing.

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 9th May 2016 at 19:10.
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 19:37   #534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
100% agree with you on that. The difference in quality control is night and day. One of the reasons why Nissan (Micra), Renault (Duster), Ford (Ecosport), Hyundai are shifting their export bases to Europe, albeit the higher cost of manufacturing.
Why can't they manufacture here and source the not-the-good-local-parts from outside of India? If manufacturers really want to maintain quality, they can. Or, are we talking about the case where everything locally sourced is sub-par?
Old 9th May 2016, 20:48   #535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
The higher cost of manufacturing in Europe may be true if done in Germany/France/UK for eg:, but I think most of the production is shifting to low-cost European countries like Romania. Even if the production cost is marginally higher than in India, it will probably be offset by savings in transportation cost. Maybe there are tax benefits as well.
StarrySky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 21:48   #536
BHPian

Sold our 2006 model Innova with 2.38L KM on Odo for 4.75L (Never loved toyota more!)
and Booking Crysta GX MT as a replacement.

That Nippon Toyota faux Wooden Interior look really good, I really hope Surat Toyota dealer has something like this on offer soon.
kunaldhami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 12:11   #537
Senior - BHPian

Anyone have any idea of delivery schedules being given to Mumbai customers? Booked a GX Auto 8 seater Bronze on 4th May. I was given to understand that Toyota has produced and stockpiled a rather sizeable number of cars to be delivered before announcing launch dates/a while ago. Dealer language is "there is only a trickle of cars allotted mostly top end ones as of this past Saturday" Also states "Toyota will give priority to Political, and Government requests for allotment" All this sounds rather "Untoyota" like. This is from a Toyota rep, so not some hearsay. Deposit taken with great enthusiasm but same vigour missing from committing delivery dates. Language being spoken is "most likely june mid" earlier was told 15 May possible. Toyota dealer refused to officially declare prices till Saturday, way past formal price declaration date. Am I with the wrong dealer?

Last edited by canonball : 10th May 2016 at 12:14.
Old 10th May 2016, 12:24   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Anyone have any idea of delivery schedules being given to Mumbai customers? Booked a GX Auto 8 seater Bronze on 4th May. I was given to understand that Toyota has produced and stockpiled a rather sizeable number of cars to be delivered before announcing launch dates/a while ago. Dealer language is "there is only a trickle of cars allotted mostly top end ones as of this past Saturday" Also states "Toyota will give priority to Political, and Government requests for allotment" All this sounds rather "Untoyota" like. This is from a Toyota rep, so not some hearsay. Deposit taken with great enthusiasm but same vigour missing from committing delivery dates. Language being spoken is "most likely june mid" earlier was told 15 May possible. Toyota dealer refused to officially declare prices till Saturday, way past formal price declaration date. Am I with the wrong dealer?
Similar experience for folks here in Chandigarh. Saw it first-hand with someone who booked the top-end 2.8 ZX AT variant on the day of launch (May 02) and was told that the delivery would be anytime in the next four months. A couple of follow-up calls to the dealership later in the week about more definitive timeline did not result in anything. The official stand is that "they will call the customer when the vehicle has been allotted."

My suspicion is that the dealers will play the same bullying tactics they did when Fortuner was in high demand - cherry pick customers for early delivers, those who are willing to pay the hefty premium for not-required expensive accessories.
t2k4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 12:56   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Anyone have any idea of delivery schedules being given to Mumbai customers? Booked a GX Auto 8 seater Bronze on 4th

I pass Lakozy Toyota's godown on NH-8 everyday. I have seen they have lots of Innovas in stock at their stockyard. Yesterday itself I saw another container being unloaded. So I don't take the very few cars have been allotted story at all.
Old 10th May 2016, 12:59   #540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2k4 View Post
Similar experience for folks here in Chandigarh. Saw it first-hand with someone who booked the top-end 2.8 ZX AT variant on the day of launch (May 02) and was told that the delivery would be anytime in the next four months. A couple of follow-up calls to the dealership later in the week about more definitive timeline did not result in anything. The official stand is that "they will call the customer when the vehicle has been allotted."

My suspicion is that the dealers will play the same bullying tactics they did when Fortuner was in high demand - cherry pick customers for early delivers, those who are willing to pay the hefty premium for not-required expensive accessories.
But the booking form states dealer will to pay interest on deposit after 15 days! By not transacting within 15 days they have to pay interest!

Last edited by canonball : 10th May 2016 at 13:02.
canonball is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks