Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2018, 09:44   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: July 2016: NGT tells Delhi to deregister all Diesel Vehicles over 10 years old

Gentlemen,

1. Please could you help me know if the ban on 15 year old diesels in Delhi-NCR is final. I believe it is

I have a diesel Volvo XC60 which I guess I should sell by the time it is 5 to 6 years old (currently 3 years old).

2. Is there a ban on 15 year old petrol cars too?

We have a 15 years and 1 month old Maruti Zen registered in Noida in my late father's name at an address owned by me. It is being used permanently by one of my employees in rural Gurgaon district. Not sure what to do with it - (i) just let it be as the car rarely comes into the urban areas (ii) get the car transferred from Noida to rural Gurgaon - might become a challenge (iii) try and sell it in the rural market of UP/Haryana.

For now I've told my employee to just keep the car and run it. It could run for another 10 years as it is in very good condition.

Your advice will be gratefully received.

Regards,
Narayan
Old 22nd February 2018, 10:27   #242
BHPian

Re: July 2016: NGT tells Delhi to deregister all Diesel Vehicles over 10 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post

We have a 15 years and 1 month old Maruti Zen registered in Noida in my late father's name at an address owned by me. It is being used permanently by one of my employees in rural Gurgaon district. Not sure what to do with it - (i) just let it be as the car rarely comes into the urban areas (ii) get the car transferred from Noida to rural Gurgaon - might become a challenge (iii) try and sell it in the rural market of UP/Haryana.
I believe initially NGT banned 10 year old diesel cars & 15 year old petrol cars, but it seems that only the diesel cars are taken off the road. Your Zen since it has passed the 15 year mark, would anyway need to be re-registered (the RC is valid for only 15 years all over India). Have you re-registered your Zen? If yes, then I believe the authorities shouldn't have any problem with your car running in the NCR region.

Last edited by chiranjitp : 22nd February 2018 at 10:31.
chiranjitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 23:01   #243
BHPian

Any update on the diesel ban in NCR ?
Old 20th March 2018, 00:11   #244
BHPian

Found this to be relevant.
Attached Thumbnails
July 2016: NGT tells Delhi to deregister all Diesel Vehicles over 10 years old-1521484848348.jpg  

dhruvritzed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2018, 00:52   #245

Does this mean that the 10 year diesel passenger car ban in NCR isn't really in place? This has a bearing on the next car I am planning to purchase, and was so far under the impression that the NGT recommendation was already accepted and implemented!
Old 20th March 2018, 01:23   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvritzed View Post
Found this to be relevant.
Thanks for this.
The problem is, everyone seems to be coming out with different policies, and there is absolutely no clarity for the actual owners as to what is the final one.
Old 22nd March 2018, 13:20   #247
BHPian

The NGT order for Delhi and surrounding area stands and is not expected to change.

The central govt order is for all India barring the NCR area. It does not supersede the NGT order.
Old 22nd March 2018, 13:24   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
The NGT order for Delhi and surrounding area stands and is not expected to change.

The central govt order is for all India barring the NCR area. It does not supersede the NGT order.
Have seen tons of more than 10 year old vehicles moving without any difficulty in Delhi NCR even though this rule is more than 2 years old now.
Also, when I wanted to transfer my 9+ year old captiva to uttarakhand , I was told that I'll have to pay the 8% registration charge on original value of the car which is more than 150000. Ideally it should be life of vehicle remaining divided by 15 into the original value, but these goons mess up everything.
So I've decided to retain the Delhi registration and move like others do.
Old 30th June 2018, 20:45   #249
BHPian

I have a 2005 model Innova in very good condition registered in Alwar (Rajasthan), also part of NCR. I was driving with my family to Dehradun today morning when I was pulled over by the cops at Dhaulakuan.

I parked at the side and went to talk to them and was told that since I was driving a more than 10 year old diesel vehicle, the vehicle shall have to be impounded or I’ll have to pay a fine. I said that I am just passing through Delhi and the vehicle is registered in Rajasthan. They replied that no 10-year old diesel vehicle is allowed to ply on the roads of Delhi.

They got the shock of their lives when I showed them the RC of my 13 year old petrol Innova!!
Alfresco is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 1st July 2018, 08:51   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
I said that I am just passing through Delhi and the vehicle is registered in Rajasthan. They replied that no 10-year old diesel vehicle is allowed to ply on the roads of Delhi.

They got the shock of their lives when I showed them the RC of my 13 year old petrol Innova!!
I guess the idea behind this would be to potentially harass out of state number vehicles as they will either bribe or pay the fine and move on. The law is on the cop's side in this one that no diesel vehicle older than 10 years can ply, regardless of the state of registration. Dhaula Kuan is an area where most of the traffic coming from Rajasthan, Gujarat and beyond enters Delhi.
Similar teams have stopped vehicles, usually again out of state cars, right at the T3 international terminal. Again a very potent location to harass.

It is so sad to see all these multilevel departments and layers of bureaucracy, judiciary and what not that exists on paper. But in reality no one has even bothered to assess if this rule has made any changes to Delhi's air or not.
drmohitg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th July 2018, 08:37   #251
BHPian

Delhi: Soon, vehicles to be colour-coded
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...m_source=other

So now they plan to color code the cars the 10+ year old diesel cars in Delhi.
Old 28th July 2018, 10:53   #252
BHPian

One question in my mind is, that is it true that diesel vehicles with even 15 year registration certificate from Delhi RTO will not be allowed to ply after 10 years in Delhi?
Will the road tax be refundable for 5 years?
Or is it that the cars registered for 15 years are allowed for 15 years but further on only RC is issued for 10 years.

Confused

Last edited by aviral2122 : 28th July 2018 at 10:54.
Old 30th July 2018, 11:34   #253
BANNED

Sometimes I wonder whether the NGT is the new Mohd Bin Tughlaq. As autocratic as the other. I wonder what is the solution.
sgiitk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 12:01   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Sometimes I wonder whether the NGT is the new Mohd Bin Tughlaq. As autocratic as the other. I wonder what is the solution.
I completely agree. What is the logical rationale behind this 10 years ban order? If there are rules in place to check vehicle emissions and ascertaining whether a vehicle is fit to be plied on road, then this blanket ban, irrespective however good the vehicle may be, is indeed Mohd Bin Tughlaq like. Also, what rational studies were done to ascertain effects of diesel pollution before passing this order? Nil I guess. It's just that one esteemed judge felt it's no good having old diesel cars and that was that.

The trouble is who is going to bell the cat? NGT for the moment presides over everything.
Old 30th July 2018, 22:12   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Gentlemen,

1. Please could you help me know if the ban on 15 year old diesels in Delhi-NCR is final. I believe it is

I have a diesel Volvo XC60 which I guess I should sell by the time it is 5 to 6 years old (currently 3 years old).

For now I've told my employee to just keep the car and run it. It could run for another 10 years as it is in very good condition.

Your advice will be gratefully received.

Regards,
Narayan

Sir, Please do let me know whenever you wish to depart from your XC60. It's my dream car to own and what better one to have from you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks