Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2017, 23:59   #331
BHPian

Re: The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplythebest View Post
My apologies if this has been mentioned before.

1. Is the DSG box on this model trouble free. Or is it one o fthose with known failures?
2. Any idea of the potential of chipping the car? I know this can only be done if the gearbox can take the torque.

Thanks!
1. This is the DSG500 4x4 and is a trouble free wet clutch unit.
2. The gearbox can take upto 500Nm, so should be easy for enthusiasts to swap in European parts and have the stock 190hp version.
jalajprakash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2017, 09:19   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
I think there is some confusion there as Cardekho shows top end Fortuner price d at 38 lacs On road in TVM. Even the Endeavour is 38 On road!

A 2 lac premium over these two seems their usual norm considering they always price it a bit premium over their rivals (Not that it's justified!)
I was comparing the 4x4 Auto of Fortuner to this. Should have add this info earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalajprakash View Post
1. This is the DSG500 4x4 and is a trouble free wet clutch unit.
2. The gearbox can take upto 500Nm, so should be easy for enthusiasts to swap in European parts and have the stock 190hp version.
150 bhp and 340Nm is pretty low for such a car and for that price.

Last edited by jkdas : 9th October 2017 at 09:22.
Old 9th October 2017, 09:40   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

Inspite of the Kodiaq being a good car, I don't foresee a sale of more than 100 cars per month initially due to the launch hype and then settling down to 60-70 cars a month after 3 months. The way that Skoda have positioned it is not all that welcoming and people may prefer to buy the German five seaters or the Fortuner / Endy instead. In terms of cost of production , a monocoque is fairly cheaper and lighter. They should have diluted the gadgetry and launched at a 5 lacs less price like what the Compass did in it's sement. Maybe they will wake up later and come up with cheaper variants.
Old 9th October 2017, 11:46   #334
Senior - BHPian

Saw this Kodiaq ad in TOI today morning. Bookings are open now!

The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-09_10_2017_024_003.jpg
Old 9th October 2017, 11:56   #335
BHPian

Day before, I took the test drive of the Kodiaq here in Gurgaon at Giriraj Motors. There were actually a few people waiting for their turn before and after me as well. We are looking for a replacement for our 2014 Superb diesel and planning to buy an SUV.

Overall, it looks and feels really nice. Though it doesn't have the absolute punch, but for daily use its a nice car to drive. The steering is light at low speeds and weighs up nicely as the speedometer climbs up.

The engine has sufficient torque to move around in city. Its only out on the highway that you feel shortchanged with the low power and torque figures but its no slouch and will fulfill any requirements that you may have except from probably doing well when one wants to take it off road. The gear box was amazing and super smooth as well

From the interiors standpoint too, I liked the car. The touch screen looks great and so does the MID. The seats are fairly comfortable both 1st and 2nd row and the sun roof brings in a lot of light. I did try to check the ICE's sound but it was tuned too much for bass at that time and I did not re-tune it. Somehow the new Superb's ICE sounds better or maybe I am wrong.

Now for the negatives:

For me I somehow felt that it doesn't look like a 40 lakh rupee car. Its nice overall but there is no "Wow Factor" and my dad had the same feeling. We had test driven the Endeavour and the Furtuner before this and both the cars had the road presence matching its price, the Kodiaq in my view simply doesn't do that well.
The seats are comfortable but they are not as wide as you would assume. The 3rd row specially is suitable only for young kids.

Its a good car if you have the money and don't want a large SUV but personally even for that I would wait for the discounts to kick in.

We have decided to go ahead with the Endeavour 3.2 for now.
karan85 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 01:44   #336
BHPian

In Germany, Kodaiq undercuts Tiguan in pricing by €1500.

Another interesting note:
Quote:
"Volkswagen managers and unions are seeking to curb competition from lower-cost stablemate Skoda by moving some of its production to Germany and making the Czech brand pay more for shared technology, company sources told Reuters."
Source: Link
Old 11th October 2017, 16:44   #337
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Took the Kodiaq out for 4 hours last night. It is a spectacular SUV! Quite an all-rounder this, and far, far better than the VW Tiguan. Love the classy styling, interior ambience, features, suspension & gearbox.

Main deal-breakers are the price (5 lakhs too much), Skoda's rotten after-sales experience and that we don't get the higher-tune engine. Power is more than 'adequate' and you'll never feel it's underpowered, but there is none of that 'special torque' that you expect after spending 40 lakhs. Also, don't expect the presence of an Endeavour or Fortuner.

A friendly Moderator who drove it has already placed a booking deposit on it . I'll let him make the announcement if he proceeds with the car.
GTO is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 16:52   #338
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A friendly Moderator who drove it has already placed a booking deposit on it
He is a brave guy, especially after editing and reading all posts here

I will agree, they would have better chances if the engine was in different tune, don't know if this is because of missing components like Turbo or just the programming. But I see some light as they sell more models, Dealers should earn more and in turn invest on workshop/ showrooms.
Turbanator is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 09:56   #339
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

A friendly Moderator who drove it has already placed a booking deposit on it . I'll let him make the announcement if he proceeds with the car.
I would rather he makes an announcement on how he will add another passenger to fill the many seats offered by the Kodiaq
ajmat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 10:39   #340
Senior - BHPian

Hi GTO.

Well my Octy TSI is 4 years old now. Run 90K kms. I am looking for a replacement. The Tiguan was my number one choice after reading the in depth review here.

But you say that the Kodiaq is far better than the Tiguan. How so? I do not need 7 seats, don't need the huge boot, and somehow I really felt connected to the Tiguan after being in the Octy as my daily driver.

So what's your say in this? I have a few other cars on the list too.

1) VW Tiguan Highline
2) VW Passat Highline
3) Volvo S60 D4. I'm not sure if D5 is available in the S60.
4) BMW 320d Edition Sport, since the sport line is discontinued.
5) Want to stay away from Jaguar as the Service is probably worse that what I've faced with Skoda.
6) Toyota Fortuner 2.8 AT
7) Hyundai Tucson tdi 4WD
8) Ford Endeavor 3.2 4x4 AT

Just let me know your thoughts if you feel so. I know your motor-mind has already made a mental list. 😂
Old 12th October 2017, 11:10   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Hi GTO.

Well my Octy TSI is 4 years old now. Run 90K kms. I am looking for a replacement. The Tiguan was my number one choice after reading the in depth review here.

But you say that the Kodiaq is far better than the Tiguan. How so? I do not need 7 seats, don't need the huge boot, and somehow I really felt connected to the Tiguan after being in the Octy as my daily driver.

So what's your say in this? I have a few other cars on the list too.

1) VW Tiguan Highline
2) VW Passat Highline
5) Want to stay away from Jaguar as the Service is probably worse that what I've faced with Skoda.

Just let me know your thoughts if you feel so. I know your motor-mind has already made a mental list. 😂
Why not the new A4 on that list, you'll feel connected if you've been inside any VAG car and it is head and shoulders above the competition with respect to comfort, ride and overall quality, what with that brilliant MID.
Also, it is huge improvement over the previous model and has great discounts.Better tune of the same engine as passat, tiguan and surely better resale.To top it all, looks smashing in dark shades.
Old 12th October 2017, 11:13   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1) VW Tiguan Highline
2) VW Passat Highline
1 is a Dynamic 5 Seater SUV. It is expensive and isn't the most VFM even in this list either. But, Premiumness is what it offers the best.

2 can be called a Sedan Version of Tiguan, considering the price point of it. Old car was very good, new one is even better. Have a look of it.

3 is the oldest here. But looks fresh even today. Should be able to get big discounts on one. Try the cross country version if you're ok with the side cladding it comes with.

4 is the Driver's delight. Does everything right, and also is offered with various custom options. Definitely worth considering despite being 2nd oldest here.

5 King of resale, very good option if you intend to have a ladder on frame SUV with the peace of mind.

6 Urban SUV with Good Features, Good Styling and punchy Diesel engine. New 4WD variant should help handling. Apart from brand image, there is not much to complain about this car.

7 Most VFM in this list. This car is very desirable. Has very few flaws and does everything right. A worthy choice if you want a 7 Seater SUV.

With different cars to choose from, I would differentiate them this way

Tuscon if you want a Soft roader, 3 Series if you want a Driver's Car. Passat if you want a chauffeur driven one. Endeavour/ Fortuner if you need a 7 Seater SUV.

Last but not the least, even if you buy any of these cars, you'll be satisfied. They are a proper upgrade from your Octavia TSI and are surely good cars in each and every way.

Last edited by CarguyNish : 12th October 2017 at 11:16.
CarguyNish is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 11:27   #343
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Off the back of my head:

Better ride quality
Way more appealing styling
More luxurious cabin ambience
Overall space
3rd row of seats (good to have when in a group)

It just tugs at the heart more than the Tiguan (which felt exactly like a Jetta on stilts). Yes, the Kodiaq is overpriced and I would personally pick up an Endeavour over it. But not everyone wants a bulky body-on-frame SUV (like the Team-BHP Mod who booked it), As I was speaking to him, the car is overpriced by 5 lakhs, but in the luxury segment, people spend 10 lakhs more for 6-cylinder variants over 4-cylinder cars and never regret it. Similarly, I don't think someone who is really sold on the Kodiaq will care about the premium over the Tiguan.

Overall, I found the Tiguan to be boring and the Kodiaq to be opulent.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 12:14   #344
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As I was speaking to him, the car is overpriced by 5 lakhs, but in the luxury segment, people spend 10 lakhs more for 6-cylinder variants over 4-cylinder cars and never regret it. Similarly, I don't think someone who is really sold on the Kodiaq will care about the premium over the Tiguan.

May be the Kodiaq is priced so - because VW group fears that the Skoda will absolutely destroy the VW Tiguan otherwise?

Price is not really bad though, except when we take the European prices into consideration. Kodiaq seems to be having enough muscle to justify the premium it commands over the likes of Tucson and Tiguan, but the problem is that they were also considered overpriced to start with!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 12:20   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvritzed View Post
Why not the new A4 on that list
For the simple reason that I always feel Audi is a glorified VW/Skoda with similar under-pinnings, please bear with me as I explain. I do know that the quality of parts used in VW group is differentiated between brands, while Audi gets the best quality in the group, where as Seat gets the worst, compared to VW and Skoda that is, it is still far better than many Korean and Japanese part finishes. Reliability is still a concern and I do not like companies that make a fuss around small issues such as a simple warranty replacement of battery, to take around two days and leave you handicapped. I have a close associate who is the Audi Service GM in Ahmedabad, and there is a soft corner for the A4 in my heart. Only thing is I feel the top end version will also be north of 45 Lakh on road even after discounts. My budget is strictly limited to 35-37 Lakh on road. I am yet to take a test drive, and I will only take one if it offers black interiors as an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Last but not the least, even if you buy any of these cars, you'll be satisfied. They are a proper upgrade from your Octavia TSI and are surely good cars in each and every way.
The thing is I am a solo passenger 99% of the time, and don't really need the 7 seats in either SUV options. The Tiguan felt just right for the city as well as the highway. The Passat will definitely feel more comfortable and relaxing albeit a bit more powerful than its sibling. Feature list on Passat will put cars one segment above to shame, the price is just right. I am concerned about VW service though, since this is by far the most high tech VW on sale in India and I don't want to be a guinea pig like in my case with the Octy. If its the Passat, I'll wait for about 3-4 months and see others take the plunge only for me to follow. The S60 has a charm of its own on my heart, I know its a dull car otherwise, but solid none the less. Fortuner is on the list simply because of my brilliant second to none experience with Toyota service and reliability. The 3 Series has been pulling me towards it since its launch. Its the perfect drivers car in my opinion and more so if you're always gonna be by yourself in the car. Again, I am not sure about the reliability of it, and have no experience with the service provided by BMW. The dealership is in trouble and might close down soon. That makes the second closest BMW dealership from my place a good 400 kms away.

Quote:
Off the back of my head:

Better ride quality
Way more appealing styling
More luxurious cabin ambience
Overall space
3rd row of seats (good to have when in a group)

For me, the Kodiaq was never under consideration for the major reason of unreliability of Skoda service, although they offer maintenance packs and warranty for four years, it does not expressly make the car from being trouble-free and could have me stranded on inter-state trips due to lack of service network, and I just don't trust the brand anymore.

What I liked about the Tiguan was its ride quality, as you rightly mentioned it felt like a Jetta on stilts, which isn't a bad thing. If the Tiguan had a manual option, we wouldn't be having this discussion altogether But the 7-DSG DQ500 was pleasing none the less. The attention to detail in the Tiguan and Passat is something to talk about. Both are gonna be bree-zy mile munchers and will allow me to take loads of road trips that I have been avoiding since my Octy starts throwing up like a 'car sick' child in the back seat, every time I so much as think about going on a trip with it. I would have clocked at least 150K kms till now if the car didn't have all these issues and Skoda cannot repay this debt even if they give me a Kodiaq for free! I just wish Bernhard Maier reads this.

Audi's mesmerising cabin (does it come in black?), the 3er's ZF box and sports seats, the C250's monstrous amounts of torque, Passat's long legs, Tiguan's dynamic personality and compact size, S60 just fades out in front of these, Tucson's VFM, and Endeavour's excellent packaging. Where as back of my mind I am willing to risk the Octy without warranty for a couple of years more and then get the 530d/i
adi_petrolhead is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks