Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2017, 10:39   #316
BHPian

Re: The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs

From what I have summarised from this forum, Skoda makes great cars, but buying one is a risky proposition due to the poor A.S.S and there are numerous incidents to corroborate the same. If such is the case, then even if they would have priced the Kodiaq 2-3L cheaper, would it inspire confidence in people to go and buy? If A.S.S is such a huge concern, it would be even more risky to put your money on something so expensive. At least you can service the Rapid at your local mechanic, but would you dare to do it with their premium offerings?

In my opinion, vehicles such as the Kodiaq, Tiguan are not mass market products but they cater to that niche segment of people who want a premium urban SUV, something of the likes of BMW, Audi, Mercedes, but don't want to flaunt the badge and be low key. Getting the same features or more at a comparatively lesser price is an icing on the cake for them. For such people, vehicles like Fortuner or Endeavour are not even options as they are too big or bulky even if they offer the same number of seats and power.

Comparing with the Tiguan pricing, Kodiaq pricing seems alright for what it offers. Both however are ridiculously priced when seen standalone
aviraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 10:40   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Kodiaq tries to save the drowning Tiguan and in the process gets drowned itself.
Skoda/VW have played it well in segregating Tiguan and Kodiaq but the pricing is just killing both of them. Both should have retailed 5lac less than current price.
I seriously hope that both of these models bomb miserably, just like the Polo GT.
And then, when that happens, the discounts of 4-5 lakhs will come in.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 10:42   #318
Senior - BHPian

At 3 lakhs more (ex-showroom) than the Endeavour 3.2L 4X4 AT, the Kodiaq got its work cut out. The customers of Fortuner are anyways not going to bother about the Skoda or the pricing anyways.

The Endeavour looks imposing from the outside and one would think that it is difficult or clumsy to drive in the city. But it is not. Its a breeze and lot of fun too. A younger cousin of mine picked up the Endeavour 3.2L 4X4 AT two weeks back at Bangalore. He paid 38 OTR before the additional cess on GST got rolled out. And we were travelling (6 of us) in the Ford over the weekend at Bangalore city.

So, after the very late lunch on Sunday, the key was handled over to my uncle who is 55+ and was sober. Initially the family was apprehensive as to whether he will be able to pilot the big truck, especially my aunt and their son. Mind you the truck is just 2 weeks old and Bangalore city is not the best place to take a car out for the first time.

But then, my uncle didn't say a word and within a few kilometers everyone understood he was having a ball behind the wheel. Being a long weekend, the streets were relatively empty too. And we ended up taking a massive detour around the city to reach back home just because he felt like driving the truck more and more.

The main misses on the Endeavour compared to the Kodiaq will be better plastics, additional airbags, superior ICE and the ease of getting in and out off that third row. But for everything else, the Endeavour is too hard to say no to if it is self-driven. Of course, the Skoda will be faster on the road, but it is still very difficult to justify that premium they are charging.

Last edited by deetjohn : 5th October 2017 at 10:44. Reason: typo.
deetjohn is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 12:21   #319
Distinguished - BHPian

The SA I had casually spoken to way back in May was spot on. He had told me above 40 Lakh OTR Bangalore.

Being a pre-owned fan, the way I look at these good but overpriced products is how VFM they can turn out to be 2-3 years down the line. Being in premium territory and more importantly since it is a Skoda, it is going to depreciate rapidly.

So hope it sells consistently even if it is in small numbers so that it becomes a nice pre-owned choice few years down the line.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 12:47   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
The SA I had casually spoken to way back in May was spot on. He had told me above 40 Lakh OTR Bangalore.

Being a pre-owned fan, the way I look at these good but overpriced products is how VFM they can turn out to be 2-3 years down the line. Being in premium territory and more importantly since it is a Skoda, it is going to depreciate rapidly.

So hope it sells consistently even if it is in small numbers so that it becomes a nice pre-owned choice few years down the line.
CarDekho shows that it will cost 40,00,840 OTR at Trivandrum and 41,72,600 for Bangalore.

This is definitely priced well when you compare with Fortuner ( costs 42 lac!) but they would need to work hard to get buyers in Kerala .
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 14:25   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
So even accounting for a knee airbag, all time 4WD, DSG500 etc, it can't have that huge a premium on a Superb 2.0 TDI Style 6DSG or ? I would expect it to be around 31-32 lakhs ex-showroom...
I think a direct price comparison between Style variant of Superb and Kodiaq is misleading, even if we compare the prices from Europe. For eg: here in Finland, the Style variant of Kodiaq lacks leather seats, sunroof, 3-zone climate control and rear camera. These are features available in the Exclusive-trim, even which does not offer rear seat side airbags as standard. All of these are standard in the Style-spec Kodiaq in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
So the euro pricing of the Kodiaq is much lower than the Tiguan. Could VW have dictated the India Kodiaq pricing ?
That's not strictly true for all variants. Comparing prices in Finland, a casual look at prices indicate that the cheapest Kodiaq variant is about €1K cheaper than the cheapest Tiguan and the highest Tiguan variant is about €1K more expensive than the most expensive Kodiaq. However, this does not give the complete picture.

Kodiaq has 4-trim levels here and Tiguan has only 3. The cheapest Kodiaq variant (Active) is slightly cheaper than Trendline trim of Tiguan. But, the top-trim (Exclusive) of Kodiaq is more expensive than the Highline-trim of Tiguan upto the 190HP versions. Even the Style-spec is more expensive than Tiguan Highline for some versions.

But, Tiguan offers a 240HP version in Highline-trim only, which is the most expensive version of either car.

Last edited by StarrySky : 5th October 2017 at 14:30.
StarrySky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 15:16   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
CarDekho shows that it will cost 40,00,840 OTR at Trivandrum and 41,72,600 for Bangalore.

This is definitely priced well when you compare with Fortuner ( costs 42 lac!) but they would need to work hard to get buyers in Kerala .
I think there is some confusion there as Cardekho shows top end Fortuner price d at 38 lacs On road in TVM. Even the Endeavour is 38 On road!

A 2 lac premium over these two seems their usual norm considering they always price it a bit premium over their rivals (Not that it's justified!)
Old 5th October 2017, 16:51   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post

Comparing this with the Fortuner and Endeavour makes no sense. They are cheap body on frame truck based SUVs, built on an EM only platform. They make great sense for rural India, and our politicians love them. But next to no one will use one as a self driven "Chelsea tractor".

The Kodiaq and Tiguan are refined urban SUVs. They will cost more than the Fortuners of this world, and attract a completely different segment moving over from cars.
Completely agree here. I guess the buyers are gone old school again suddenly and have begun comparing cars with reference to things like sticker price, size of the car, and the likes. In this case the comparisons are not really valid on the basis of which they're being made.

Also, I don't know why folks are comparing prices of vehicles here vs prices in other countries. Isn't that a kinda lame thing to do? There are umpteen different things that can vary between each and every country in relation to how and why cars are priced. It's not just about a dollar/rupee conversion. For example look at how GTO explains why the EcoSport is priced higher than the Corolla in the USA. A great heads up of why expecting prices to be same everywhere isn't a very brilliant thought process.

Here goes: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4278744
Old 5th October 2017, 17:03   #324
BHPian

At this pricing the Kodiaq is not going to sell in great numbers. Most people are aware of its limited off roading capabilities and customers shelling out so much money would want a more versatile SUV. Its another matter that they may never use it offroad.

Skoda has gone a bit over board with the pricing. Around 35 - 36 lacs onroad would have ensured roaring success. Crossing the 40 lac threshold puts it into competition with the entry level sedans from the big boys.
Old 5th October 2017, 20:52   #325
Team-BHP Support

If I was a conspiracy theorist, all this would seem like a sticker shock cartel to me.

One product launches with an absurd price tag, people go nuts about the pricing, until another product is launched with an even more absurd price tag making the former look VFM, repeat ad infinitum.

Net result: cars have moved up segments within a few years, some cars are nearly twice as expensive as their previous iterations, arguably worse quality/reliability and limited value addition.

At this rate, we aren't far away from million-rupee entry level cars.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 15:46   #326
BHPian

Hyundai launches a 4wd trim of the Tucson at ex showroom price for 25.19lacs. Now this undercuts the Tiguan base model, forget the Kodiaq as well and suddenly appears to the most VFM buy.
Source
https://auto.ndtv.com/news/hyundai-t...9-lakh-1759488

Last edited by ajmat : 6th October 2017 at 18:42.
rajamuneeb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2017, 09:08   #327
BHPian

Mods - would you be able to indicate any likely date by when the official review will be available? Eagerly waiting for same.
Old 8th October 2017, 10:00   #328
BHPian

All said and done with the price and everything else about Skoda Kodiaq, I really liked the nifty and very unique and thoughtful features it is offering. Though simple in design and tech, they bring quite a value to the overall sense of coolness of the car.

1. Plastic door protectors, simple yet very effective.
2. Microphones which picks up the audio of front passengers and relays it to the speakers at the back. Not a lot of tech involved and very useful in my opinion.
3. Skoda branded umbrellas in both front doors with storage and drainage, simple and cleaver.
4. Flash light in the boot which has magnetic back, very nifty.
5. Lateral neck support in the middle seats (some airlines used to have this), also gets nap pack but that's not of much use I think
Old 8th October 2017, 17:41   #329
BHPian

My apologies if this has been mentioned before.

1. Is the DSG box on this model trouble free. Or is it one o fthose with known failures?
2. Any idea of the potential of chipping the car? I know this can only be done if the gearbox can take the torque.

Thanks!

Last edited by simplythebest : 8th October 2017 at 17:41. Reason: typo
Old 8th October 2017, 18:13   #330
BHPian

The diesel 4wd automatic Tucson looks like value now compared to the Tiguan and the Kodiaq. It feels like both VW and Skoda have done something similar to the 1st generation Jazz's pricing that made the i20 seem VFM.

Last edited by petroguzzler : 8th October 2017 at 18:15.
petroguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks