Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2017, 19:15   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs

I wish Skoda would start providing some snippets on the upcoming Kodiaq, either through the media or directly via Facebook etc. With Tiguan and the Compass being launched this month, it is decision time for many prospective buyers. Although these are slightly different categories, there is reasonable overlap of the customer base. I for one, am looking to upgrade to a larger SUV with 4X4 from my Ecosport. The Tiguan is a good fit for my needs however, the pricing is steep and I would almost expect a 7 seat SUV for that price. The one drawback of the Tiguan is also that it does not come in the higher state of tune of the VW families' 2.0 TDI diesel engine

If the Kodiaq is within a reasonable range of the Tiguan in pricing, I would not mind shelling out a few extra Lacs for the benefit of two extra seats that can come in handy occasionally, a better proportioned and elegant body than the Tiguan and the potential of the 2.0 TDI in the higher 190 HP state of tune. I think the Kodiaq is the best looking new vehicle design I have seen in a long time and the best looking car in the market other than the Audi Q7 and the Skoda Superb.

The likes of Fortuner and Endeavour simply do not call my name, due to their uncouth looks.

I generally like buying cars as soon as they are launched and are fresh in the market so I would rather pick up the Tiguan now, if the Kodiaq is much higher in pricing (say 10 lacs over the Tiguan) or it offers the 2.0 TDI in the same 143 HP state of tune as the Tiguan. I am in a bit of dilemma now not knowing for sure what is going to be offered on the Kodiaq. I think it would be in Skoda's interests to start putting out some information now, with the raft of launches in the market and increased enthusiasm for SUVs given the GST related price decreases. I think they stand to lose more than gain by keeping mum now.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 11th June 2017 at 19:19.
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 06:43   #167
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I wish Skoda would start providing some snippets on the upcoming Kodiaq, either through the media or directly via Facebook etc. With Tiguan and the Compass being launched this month, it is decision time for many prospective buyers.

The likes of Fortuner and Endeavour simply do not call my name, due to their uncouth looks.

I think they stand to lose more than gain by keeping mum now.
Ha ha. That was a nice funny post in the morning!

Uncouth indeed! Ha ha! I can't stop laughing.

Yes, I agree that Skoda's Social Media Strategy and Execution could be a lot better than it is right now. There are lot of people looking for a premium-ish, modern and comfortable 7 seat crossover type vehicle and the Kodiaq certainly should tick all their boxes.

And absolutely right that the Endy and Fortuner are a bit too large for our roads on a daily basis and mostly seem to be driven by some wild sort of chaps, which, along with their bulk and appearance, seems to be causing, by association at least, these vehicles to earn your description of "Uncouth".
Old 12th June 2017, 12:10   #168
BHPian

After going through the posts related to Kodiaq pricing (Rs 35 to 45 lakhs) I've started feeling depressed!

My humble calculation, based on the prices of different car models available in the UK and also considering the underlying fact that Kodiaq would be manufactured in India itself, the price should hover around Rs 25 lakh (with lower GST!)

Tiguan is around 10% costlier than Kodiaq in the UK. And Santa Fe sales ~ 10% higher price tag than Tiguan.

Value wise Kodiaq may be compared with Discovery Sport, but by anticipating the brand Skoda may command the similar premium that of Land Rover would be highly exaggerating, in any market!

And I hope Skoda would not like its market share still dwindle below the present ~ 0.5%. Senior/Distinguished BHPians, request your valuable comments.
Old 22nd June 2017, 15:08   #169
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Big thanks to Divyansh Agnihotri for sharing these pics from Pune!

The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-1.jpg

The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-img20170621wa0004.jpg

The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-img20170621wa0006.jpg

The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-img20170621wa0007.jpg

The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-img20170621wa0008.jpg
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 07:20   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Big thanks to Divyansh Agnihotri for sharing these pics from Pune!
Thanks for sharing GTO. Any idea about the launch date? The dealer here is just giving vague dates of Oct-Nov and actually have no clue. Everyone seems to be waiting for GST to kick in before they announce their new cars. Price wise they are saying it will start at around 40 ex showroom which seems too high as per my judgment and would not fly. A price of 28-33 ex showroom would still work.
Anyway I have booked my Compass which I am expecting delivery by mid Aug (may just be the first Compass ownership thread on TBHP!).
We are also looking at the Kodiaq to replace our Laura, if they launch at a sensible price.

Last edited by Behemoth : 23rd June 2017 at 07:23.
Old 23rd June 2017, 13:53   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Two launches from Skoda, KODIAQ and Octavia vRS are speculated to launch in September.

Link
Old 28th June 2017, 19:46   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

The following interview by Skoda India executive gives important clues on possible pricing:

http://overdrive.in/news/interview-s...coming-kodiaq/

Where will the Kodiaq be positioned?

Kodiaq will be very uniquely placed. In terms of the size it's a 7-seater. In terms of the equipment level it will go up against the luxury competitors and in terms of the pricing, it will be positioned like a Skoda - accessible and value for money. I think in combination it will create a very strong place for itself within the SUV sector. The way I see it obviously that there are not too many alternatives for a customer who is looking at a 7-seater SUV but with the refinement and VFM together, the Kodiaq will fit perfectly and will mimic the global success.

Kodiaq's direct competitors

I think we expect customers who are in urban areas and who are currently buying Ford Endeavours or Toyota Fortuners because there is no other 7-seater here. They would prefer Kodiaq which is more refined from both styling and equipment point of view. Also those buying lower trims of luxury cars
will look at the Kodiaq because it has much more equipment and will be at an accessible price.

Will the Kodiaq also be assembled in India or come in as a CBU Will it lure customers away from brands like Mercedes, Audi and BMW

It will be assembled here. I think there is clearly a potential with Kodiaq to attract a lot of volumes from the luxury brands. It doesn't mean that those brands will not grow so they are clearly with the progress in economy, per capita income and also the choices that they are making. There is clearly space for everybody. I think the uniqueness with Kodiaq is the whole positioning. It brings the 7-seater and the big SUV look with very high-end equipment at a very accessible price point.

What this tells me:
> Competition for Kodiaq is coming from Endeavour/Fortuner as well as luxury vehicles such as Mercedes GLC, Audi Q5 and BMW X3.
> The fact that they want to lure some Endeavour/Fortuner customers means it cannot be too far out of the price range of these cars.
> Skoda is counting on "accessibility" in terms of pricing as a key value proposition, so it cannot be too highly priced.
> The 7-seater bit is emphasized over and over. So there is no question of bench-marking prices to 5 seaters such as Hyundai Tucson, Jeep Compass and VW Tiguan.
> They are not bench-marking against smaller luxury SUVs such as BMW X1, Merecedes GLA or Audi Q3, again because of the emphasis on "big car" and "7-seater" positioning.

I read all of this as it is likely to be positioned in terms of pricing - A few lacs above Endeavour/Fortuner top end and significantly cheaper than GLC/X3. Since the former are selling just below Rs. 40 Lacs on-road and the latter are selling at upwards of Rs. 60 Lacs, the Kodiaq will come in around Rs. 45 Lacs on road (All pre-GST prices and may go down by 10% post GST)

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 28th June 2017 at 19:48.
84.monsoon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 18:26   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
What this tells me:

I read all of this as it is likely to be positioned in terms of pricing - A few lacs above Endeavour/Fortuner top end and significantly cheaper than GLC/X3. Since the former are selling just below Rs. 40 Lacs on-road and the latter are selling at upwards of Rs. 60 Lacs, the Kodiaq will come in around Rs. 45 Lacs on road (All pre-GST prices and may go down by 10% post GST)
Good pick and equally good interpretation!

In the same interview, it was said:

" Where is Skoda headed from here

Our position is to fill the gap between the mainstream brand and the so-called luxury brands, and we continue to bring products in that category. We have cars starting from Rs 10 lakh going up to Rs 32 lakh today and with Kodiaq we would go further up. So that is the space which we want to dominate clearly. ..."

So, what I anticipate, the Kodiaq lower end may rub with Fortuner's/Endeavour's higer models. My guess, the price would be kept between Rs 30 and 40 lakhs..whatever, this may be too much a ask from a brand Skoda in the name of 7 seater! People would realise the value of our desi SUVs now..Hexa & XUV500!
Old 30th June 2017, 18:50   #174
Team-BHP Support

The price in the UK ranges between $21k to $30k, which places it as a value alternative to the likes of the Tiguan and Tucson.

Value as in, bigger car for a similar price tag!

Looks like VW group thinks it can price vehicles as they feel suitable in India, first with the Tiguan positioned as a value alternative to German entry level SUVs, and now with the Kodiaq as a premium alternative to the Endeavour and Fortuner!

It is an excellent product IMO. Hope they price it more realistically and teaches the overpriced Tiguan and Fortuner a good lesson. Most of the people who buy Fortuner don't require the offroading capabilities and the Kodiaq might perfectly fit into their requirements, if priced and positioned right!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 30th June 2017 at 18:52.
Old 30th June 2017, 21:19   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Kodiaq is the best seller of the new launches in EU for May 2017,

The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-capture.jpg

Source- Jato
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2017, 00:15   #176
BHPian

I am really surprised when it is speculated for a price more than 35 lakhs. Here in US Tiguan retails at 25k $ and X3/Q3 retails at 35k $. So comparing that Kodiaq should retail at <35lakhs for top end version. But seeing the current launches, I am sure Skoda will be greedy as well.
Old 6th July 2017, 22:01   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Latest spyshot - late evening capture on the Aurangabad roads by one of my close friends.

The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-image1.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 18:09   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

One of my friends spotted the Kodiaq test mule on a highway run on the roads leading to Aurangabad.

He followed it for quite a while on his Hyundai Creta diesel, and reported back that the super-fast Kodiaq was really hard to catch up to!

RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2017, 20:25   #179
BHPian

Spotted this on a lazy afternoon
Attached Thumbnails
The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-img_20170711_142947__1499871001_49.14.67.181.jpg  

babsmatter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 14:53   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda Kodiaq and Octavia RS to be unveiled on August 10th and the Kodiaq will go on sale from this September.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd August 2017 at 14:59.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks