Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2017, 20:13   #136
BHPian

re: The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs

size wise is it comparable to the Q7 since its coming from the same stable?
Old 3rd May 2017, 21:12   #137
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Mat Watson says just go and buy it because it is an excellent practical 7 seater SUV and incredible value for money.

If I were in the market for a 7!seater this would easily be my choice too, especially if they price it in line (in India), with their UK or Australian pricing like they did when they launched the Yeti in India!

I like Skoda vehicles.
They are solid and well engineered and immensely practical vehicles.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 21:53   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
size wise is it comparable to the Q7 since its coming from the same stable?
Although Audi is part of VW Group, the Q7 & Kodiaq look similar in shape as well with square sides, sleek rear, the Q7 is just massive. It's length is over 5m while the Kodiaq is 4.6m (Comparable to Jetta/Octavia). But, the shape makes it look like one Lengthy car which the Q7 did so well when it first came in 2006.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Mat Watson says just go and buy it because it is an excellent practical 7 seater SUV and incredible value for money
You can call this as a Superb SUV or even a 7 Seater Superb. It's that good. My Friend had a look at it recently (March 2017) and he was appreciating the "Simply Clever" Elements. Along with that, the cabin & seats were very special according to him.

So, it does look very promising just like other Skoda's. So, we'll get to know about it in a few months time. As expected, Team BHP will be at task in finding those details & bringing out detailed review.

Quote:
All Skoda's are like that, and frankly speaking only one's who have owned at least one of the products will wholeheartedly agree. Other's will just keep on rejecting them just because of the so called "ASS".

Note : ASS - Always Skeptical Service (Skoda TM) .
CarguyNish is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 22:46   #139
BANNED

Quote:
Mat Watson says just go and buy it because it is an excellent practical 7 seater SUV and incredible value for money.

I like Skoda vehicles.

That guy seems to do great reviews. Practical and fun!! And definitely the Kodiaq seems like a well thought out product with enough style and comfort. But the last 2 seats are only really for children.

That makes me even more interested for the Karoq. It basically takes the Yeti, increases it half a size makes it a bit more butch. With a price tag of around 20L ex showroom that should be a great competition to the Compass.
Old 4th May 2017, 09:51   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The exteriors and the interiors of the to-be-launched Skoda Kodiaq SUV, spied from up close.
The chrome bits on the B and C pillar looks ghastly. Hope its not stock.

The Kodiaq spied earlier in Pune had a nice gloss black finish, looks so much better.
Old 4th May 2017, 09:57   #141
BHPian

This would have been the perfect balance of comfort, quality and FTD. Unfortunately a 2.0 TDI or a 1.8TSI just don't cut the mustard any more. At the expected pricing I'd rather have the Endy.
Old 4th May 2017, 10:47   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
This would have been the perfect balance of comfort, quality and FTD. Unfortunately a 2.0 TDI or a 1.8TSI just don't cut the mustard any more. At the expected pricing I'd rather have the Endy.
Don't quite agree on this, as the performance of a vehicle depends on a lot of factors such as body weight, the Torque curve and the dynamics of the drivetrain.

The Days of sheer High size engines are over and all manufacturers are downsizing the Cubic capacity, yet deriving more Torque and power from the engines.
Larger capacity engines also have much lower mileage.

Let me give you some examples:
The 2 L TDI engine in the Kodiaq will give 150 PS power and a Torque of 380Nm and the Kodiaq has a kerb weight of 1700 Kgs. You get a good power to weight ratio which gives you a 0-100 acceleration time of 9.5 sec. At the same time, this will also give you a mileage of 17-18 Kmpl in mixed use.
(There is also the 190 PS variant of the same engine available globally, but I doubt we will get that in India)

In the Endy, the 3.2 L engine has a power output of 197 bhp and a torque of 470 Nm. But the Endeavour has a kerb weight of 2357 Kg. With this combination, the 0-100 Acceleration time is around 13 seconds. The mileage that you would also get would not be more than 9-10 Km/l in mixed cycle. (Please correct me if I am wrong here).

In terms of interior space, both cars would be similar. The key difference lies in the offroad capability of the Endeavour, which almost 90% of buyers would not use, since they live in cities and rarely venture out to do offroading.

Nowadays car design is about smart engineering and not about sheer size and brute power.
Please also keep in mind that anyday the Supreme court may wake up and decide to ban registration of >2000cc engine cars in India (like what they did in Delhi NCR for more than 6 months last year). In that scenario, the value of larger engine vehicle cars would also fall drastically and they would become a problem.

Of course each person has their own views and preferences and we can choose to like or dislike any car. I am not saying that I don't like the Ford Endeavour, I really like it, but I don't find it practical or efficient for my requirements!
The current options of Monocoque SUVs are too few in India, and it will good to have more choice in this segment!

Last edited by Behemoth : 4th May 2017 at 10:54.
Behemoth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 11:34   #143
BHPian

Already booked Ford endeavour 2.2 Trend Automatic, but after seeing the reviews of kodiaq the decision got hold.Seriously waiting for the date of launch and pricing of Skoda Kodiaq.
Old 4th May 2017, 11:34   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
The chrome bits on the B and C pillar looks ghastly. Hope its not stock.

The Kodiaq spied earlier in Pune had a nice gloss black finish, looks so much better.
On a closer look at the image, it doesn't look like chrome. It doesn't seem to have the same level of shine as the chrome surround around the windows. It might be the white protective film applied from factory.

Also, the C pillar on the left side seems to be in gloss black finish.
BigBrad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2017, 08:02   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx Panther View Post
Seriously waiting for the date of launch and pricing of Skoda Kodiaq.
Launch is speculated to be in September.

Link
Old 7th May 2017, 12:45   #146
BHPian

Spotted the Kodiaq being tested without any camouflage near Aurangabad Airport. My cab driver said he has seen this new model a couple of times in different shades being driven around in the city at peak hours especially close to Aurangabad Skoda plant.

Some thoughts on the SUV
1. Kodiaq looked a great deal compact for a 7 seater.
2. Couldn't take a good peak at the interior but looked average in terms of space. No passengers inside apart from the driver so that didn't help either
3. It had amazing road presence and my colleagues were awestruck with the design and curves, especially the tail light console and side profile.

Here are the pics
Attached Thumbnails
The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-img_3452.jpg  

The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-img_3453.jpg  

The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-img_3455.jpg  

The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-img_3456.jpg  

camitesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 11:49   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

So today I decided do go down to the Gurgaon Skoda showroom when I was getting my Laura serviced.
I specifically went to enquire about the Kodiaq and what I came to know shocked me!
As per the sales manager there he told me that the Kodiaq will start at an exshowroom price of 40 lacs. I don't know what he has been smoking but he was very sure about it. Deliveries will start in October as per him.
I don't know what sort of positioning Skoda have in mind for the Kodiaq but at 40 Lacs it would be an absolute no-go for me. I would still consider it it were in the 25-30 segment but not if it is higher than this (exshowroom).
Seriously Skoda needs to wake up and smell the roses as they cannot command the premium which the Audis, BMW and Mercs command.
After seeing their service facilities every six months - with stinking toilets, shabby customer areas and also lackadaisical service staff, it does not convey any sense of premiumness or professionalism.
Anyway we will see when finally it gets launched to know if some sense has been knocked into them.

Last edited by Behemoth : 8th May 2017 at 11:50.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 12:15   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
So today I decided do go down to the Gurgaon Skoda showroom when I was getting my Laura serviced.
I specifically went to enquire about the Kodiaq and what I came to know shocked me!
I am not surprised at all.

The VW Tiguan is being launched at around 30 lacs ex-showroom (around 35 lacs on road) and it is a five seater. They have loaded it with features and it is being positioned against with BMW X1, Benz GLA and Audi Q3. It is half a size bigger than these cars. The higher end models of these cars cost anywhere between 45 and 50 lacs on-road so VW is able to offer a price advantage.

Kodiak is being launched with seven seats and packed with features again. It is probably being positioned against Land Rover Discovery Sport, Mercedes GLC, BMW X3 and the Audi Q5. Compared to these cars it will have the advantage of 3 rows of seats (Discovery sport is the only one which has this). Price-wise these cars retail 60 lacs and up for loaded variants and if Kodiaq can come in at 45 lacs ex-showroom, it will have a 25% price advantage.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2017, 14:27   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I am not surprised at all.

The VW Tiguan is being launched at around 30 lacs ex-showroom (around 35 lacs on road) and it is a five seater.
If UK prices can be taken as an indication, a top spec Kodiaq retails at almost the same price as compared to the top spec Superb of identical powertrain (i.e 2.0TDI 190PS TDI DSG 4x4). Given that we don't have the 4x4 variant of the Superb in India, I don't see reasons for the top-spec Kodiaq to command any more than 2.0 to 2.5 lakh over the L&K 2.0TDI variant of Superb sold in India (177PS is a detune from the EU spec 190PS).

Quote:
Kodiak is being launched with seven seats and packed with features again. It is probably being positioned against Land Rover Discovery Sport, Mercedes GLC, BMW X3 and the Audi Q5.
I agree about India's affinity towards having a third row and manufacturers charging additional premium for it and reaping better benefits than in other markets. However, I honestly don't think Kodiaq is intended to nor going to be cross-shopped with the likes of GLC, X3 and Q5. In developed markets at least, they aren't. It is more into the territory of X1, and other primarily front wheel drive, transverse engined cross overs/SUVs.
Old 15th May 2017, 13:17   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Don't quite agree on this, as the performance of a vehicle depends on a lot of factors such as body weight, the Torque curve and the dynamics of the drivetrain.

The Days of sheer High size engines are over and all manufacturers are downsizing the Cubic capacity, yet deriving more Torque and power from the engines.
Larger capacity engines also have much lower mileage.

Let me give you some examples:
The 2 L TDI engine in the Kodiaq will give 150 PS power and a Torque of 380Nm and the Kodiaq has a kerb weight of 1700 Kgs. You get a good power to weight ratio which gives you a 0-100 acceleration time of 9.5 sec. At the same time, this will also give you a mileage of 17-18 Kmpl in mixed use.
(There is also the 190 PS variant of the same engine available globally, but I doubt we will get that in India)

In the Endy, the 3.2 L engine has a power output of 197 bhp and a torque of 470 Nm. But the Endeavour has a kerb weight of 2357 Kg. With this combination, the 0-100 Acceleration time is around 13 seconds. The mileage that you would also get would not be more than 9-10 Km/l in mixed cycle. (Please correct me if I am wrong here).

In terms of interior space, both cars would be similar. The key difference lies in the offroad capability of the Endeavour, which almost 90% of buyers would not use, since they live in cities and rarely venture out to do offroading.
A lot of what you say is correct in terms of how quick the car will be, I have a 1.8 TSI as well as a 2.0TDI AT. I've also clocked upwards of 150,000 KMs in both of these engines. For a car like this, 0-100 times aren't everything. There is also the consideration of acceleration at speed. That is something the 2.0TDI lacks. The engine is nice, however for this price point in this segment, one needs something a bit more explosive.

It is great to have this option and maybe I am biased because I have used VAG cars almost exclusively for daily drives over the last decade in India, but, they really should have launched this with the biTurbo to differentiate it. In any case at these prices, I'd rather have the Endy which IMO looks better, the 5 cylinder engine is of more use to me in real world driving conditions ( Which engine are your figures for?) and I get to use it off roading. Ofcourse, throw in the biTDI then things are different.
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks