Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2016, 09:33   #61
BHPian

re: The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs

I feel this car could do better in the looks department. It won't offend but I doubt it will blow away any minds in person.
The biggest issue maybe the engine. In India, Skoda 4x4 DSG 2.0 TDI will come in with at most 170-180 HP and 350 NM of torque. This really may not suffice when you compare to the Endeavour or the new Fortuner, especially in the torques department, which is critical for modern diesels. Still though it may just be the best all rounder for comfort, luxury and drivability.
Old 6th September 2016, 09:44   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
I feel this car could do better in the looks department. It won't offend but I doubt it will blow away any minds in person.
The biggest issue maybe the engine.
True. That is why a 2.0 BiTDI is Partially Confirmed, 240 PS and 500 Nm in offing.
Quote:
The new Skoda Kodiaq now looks almost certain to get an even more powerful diesel model at the head of its range some time in 2017 - after the firm’s head of research and development admitted he has tested such a vehicle recently.
Quote:
At launch, the most potent Kodiaq on offer is a 187bhp four-cylinder turbodiesel, equipped with four-wheel drive and a DSG gearbox. However, Skoda’s board member with responsibility for R&D, Christian Struber, has given Auto Express the first official confirmation that a more powerful variant is already under development.
Source

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th September 2016 at 09:54.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2016, 10:24   #63
BHPian

Quote:
The biggest issue maybe the engine. In India, Skoda 4x4 DSG 2.0 TDI will come in with at most 170-180 HP and 350 NM of torque. This really may not suffice when you compare to the Endeavour or the new Fortuner, especially in the torques department, which is critical for modern diesels. Still though it may just be the best all rounder for comfort, luxury and drivability.
On the contrary I would believe 2 Ltr TDI will be in an advantageous position. It is a gem of an engine. I own an Octavia with the same engine but with lower output of about 148 bhp carring the weight of 1400 kgs and I can imagine what this engine with higher tune can do in a car weighing just about 1550 kgs.

It can easily out perform bulky Fortuner and Endeavour.
Old 6th September 2016, 11:22   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
True. That is why a 2.0 BiTDI is Partially Confirmed, 240 PS and 500 Nm in offing.
Now that is an engine I can get behind! Thanks for the info. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping this makes it to India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
On the contrary I would believe 2 Ltr TDI will be in an advantageous position. It is a gem of an engine. I own an Octavia with the same engine but with lower output of about 148 bhp carring the weight of 1400 kgs and I can imagine what this engine with higher tune can do in a car weighing just about 1550 kgs.

It can easily out perform bulky Fortuner and Endeavour.
I too own a 2.0TDI DSG in my Jetta and while it performs admirably considering the company it keeps, in its current avatar is simply too tame for an 1800 KG people mover (which is the avatar it will come to India in); realistically speaking the car will typically do runs with 2500 KG load (5 Indian sized people along with Indian type holiday luggage).

The engine has an issue with Turbo lag at low speeds and insufficient power and torque at higher speeds, the only counter to this is to manually change the gearbox. Nothing wrong with that, but it is an engine issue which needs to be addressed in a car which would be considered to be one segment above what we both currently drive.

Have you driven the Endeavour? The power delivery didn't feel bulky to me, the 3.2 ltr engine size certainly helps in overtaking on the highways. Turbo lag too is minimal. I'm a big fan of VW/Skoda cars considering they offer me the most for my money and I have three of them. I'll happily replace the Pajero Sport with this and become a VW only family. If the engine has more oomph than what it appears to at the moment, then I will certainly be doing so.

I'm expecting an OTR price of 35-40 in Bangalore and a lot of people will cross shop between this segment and the entry level BMW/Mercedes/Audi; Skoda will have to offer more than just 7 seats in order to compete.
Old 6th September 2016, 14:25   #65
BHPian

Quote:
I too own a 2.0TDI DSG in my Jetta and while it performs admirably considering the company it keeps, in its current avatar is simply too tame for an 1800 KG people mover (which is the avatar it will come to India in); realistically speaking the car will typically do runs with 2500 KG load (5 Indian sized people along with Indian type holiday luggage).

Have you driven the Endeavour? The power delivery didn't feel bulky to me, the 3.2 ltr engine size certainly helps in overtaking on the highways. Turbo lag too is minimal. I'm a big fan of VW/Skoda cars considering they offer me the most for my money and I have three of them. I'll happily replace the Pajero Sport with this and become a VW only family. If the engine has more oomph than what it appears to at the moment, then I will certainly be doing so.
Kodiaq will come with kerb weight of about 1500 kg. If the engine is tuned for 180bhp and 400nm of torque than that works out to be about 120 bhp/ton. In lower tune, it can come with 148 bhp and 340nm of torque. In that case also per ton output works out to be 98 bhp/ton.

Ford Endeavour on the other hand has kerb weight of about 1900kg depending upon the model. Its 3 Ltr engine produces about 155 bhp and 380nm of torque and that will work out to be 84 bhp/ton. With additional weight of about 500kg Endeavour will always be at disadvantage.

What I am trying to say is that merely comparing engine size will be misleading as wights of both of them are quite different. I have driven Fortuner and Octavia easily outperforms Fortuner. If you are seriously considering off raoding than Endeavour/Fortuner makes more sense.

Last edited by rutvij : 6th September 2016 at 14:26.
Old 6th September 2016, 14:58   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Kodiaq will come with kerb weight of about 1500 kg. If the engine is tuned for 180bhp and 400nm of torque than that works out to be about 120 bhp/ton. In lower tune, it can come with 148 bhp and 340nm of torque. In that case also per ton output works out to be 98 bhp/ton.
That Kerb Weight seems to be for the entry level model. The TDI 4X4 will be more. At-least that is my understanding from the spec sheet.

Quote:
Ford Endeavour on the other hand has kerb weight of about 1900kg depending upon the model. Its 3 Ltr engine produces about 155 bhp and 380nm of torque and that will work out to be 84 bhp/ton. With additional weight of about 500kg Endeavour will always be at disadvantage.

What I am trying to say is that merely comparing engine size will be misleading as wights of both of them are quite different. I have driven Fortuner and Octavia easily outperforms Fortuner. If you are seriously considering off roading than Endeavour/Fortuner makes more sense.
I agree when looking at the 2.2 L Endeavour numbers that is how things can appear, the 3.2L has ~200 HP and 470 NM Torque. However, the Fortuner and Endeavour have over a litre displacement advantage . That will help a lot at higher speeds. My assessment wasn't done on numbers horse power and torque numbers alone. It also takes into account on how the 2.0 TDI engine drives. If we get a BiTDI then it'll blow the Fortuner and Endeavour away by miles. I agree the Octavia performs much better than the Fortuner. That doesn't mean the same engine in the Kodiaq will however; there is a lot more that dictates how a car will drive. That loss in displacement is not a small thing.

Don't get me wrong, this car will probably make more sense for you and me and most occasional trail off-roaders. I am however disappointed with Skoda not offering a larger displacement, 5/6 cylinder (wishful thinking) engine which will make it that much more interesting. The BiTDI may be the best compromise because it will function like a larger displacement turbo charged engine in real world conditions. I just hope they bring it in at launch.
Old 6th September 2016, 20:53   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

SUV Kodiaq seen on Czech. roads,

The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-skoda_kodiaq_zaklad_prvni_01_800_600.jpg
The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-skoda_kodiaq_zaklad_prvni_06_800_600.jpg

Source- autoforum.cz
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 04:22   #68
Senior - BHPian

Kodiaq looks as if it is Sculpted.
Superb design language.

Ground clearance of 188 mm is decent enough
Old 19th September 2016, 19:57   #69
BHPian

I was bowled over by the interiors and technology:

Wonder when will out desi manufacturers match upto this level
Old 28th September 2016, 07:30   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Want to hear the Kodiaq start? Here it is!

Old 29th September 2016, 19:18   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Kodiaq at the Paris Motor show!

Old 14th October 2016, 08:08   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda reveals UK pricing- - prices kick off from £21,495 !
Quote:
That starting price is £900 less than the entry-level Nissan X-Trail, and considerably cheaper than similarly sized models like the Santa Fe and Kia Sorento. It's also cheaper than the smaller, five-seat-only VW Tiguan
The Skoda Kodiaq launches in the UK with four trim levels and five engine options.

-The base price gets a five-seat 'S' spec car fitted with 1.4-litre TSI turbo petrol engine with 123bhp and a six-speed manual gearbox.
- Standard kit includes LED daytime running lights, 17-inch alloy wheels, a touchscreen infotainment system with a DAB radio and Smartlink infotainment tech. Keyless go, front assist and a leather steering wheel.
-SE spec Kodiaq for £22,495, gaining 18-inch alloys, tinted windows, cruise control and rear parking sensors. An upgraded eight-inch touchscreen, dual-zone climate control, auto lights and wipers and an auto-dim rear view mirror complete the upgrade. SE spec also allows you toSE-L Kodiaq models start from £28,595, with standard seven seats, an electric tailgate, 19-inch alloys, sat-nav and WiFi. LED headlights and heated front seats are also added. Top-spec Edition models (from £30.895) bring leather, chrome roof rails and kit such as wireless smartphone charging. go from five seats to seven for an extra £1,000.

Quote:
Additional engine options include a 148bhp 1.4 TSI petrol and a 178bhp 2.0-litre TSI petrol ( the latter is mated exclusively to a 7spd DSG gearbox and four-wheel drive). A 2.0-litre diesel with 148bhp and 187bhp also features, with the latter also auto-only, while a 114bhp version will also debut at a later date. -
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 14th October 2016 at 08:13.
Old 15th October 2016, 08:49   #73
Senior - BHPian

To put the UK pricing of the Kodiaq in perspective, here is how it compares with its siblings. Comparing only the 1.4 TSI as Skoda has equipped these cars with most of their engines for one BIG spread. Right from the 1.0 TSI with 115 PS to 2.0 TSI with 230 PS and even the 1.6 TDI thrown in for good measure. And Kodiaq' pricing for Diesel 2.0 TDI is not clear now.

The On the road price for SE variants with Petrol 1.4 TSI in UK.

Octavia: From £19,040
Superb: From £21,610
Kodiaq: From £22,495 (5 seats) and £23,945 (7 seats)

So, with a premium on the Superb as expected. Don't know why the 1.4 TSI is rated at 125 PS in the UV instead of 150 PS.

http://www.skoda.co.uk/

Last edited by deetjohn : 15th October 2016 at 08:59. Reason: Adding text.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 08:27   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda's Flagship SUV Kodiaq starts production at its Kvasiny plant in the Czech Republic .
The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-k3.jpg
The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-k2.jpg
The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-k1.jpg

With Modernization of the factory (what was invested 266 million euros) annual capacity will be increased to around 280,000 vehicles.

Also, a job in the factory received 2,000 new workers, while supplies Kodiaqa customers starting in February 2017.

Expect a late 2017 arrival of Kodiaq in India!

Source

Last edited by volkman10 : 19th October 2016 at 08:29.
Old 31st October 2016, 15:10   #75
BHPian

With Skoda in Prague:

While roaming on Prague streets near Old Town Centre, got to see the display below

Quote:
The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-img_4314.jpg
Quite imposing stand. Was drawing a lot of attention of other apparent European visitors.
sindabad.sailor is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks