Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2013, 08:36   #226
BHPian

Ahh nice, in Kolkata the fastest motorcycle I have seen the cops on are tvs apache rtr 160. Though the cbr is smaller cc'd, I think they are faster and more agile than the rtrs.

What is the usual ride for cops in other cities? It's the bullet here...
Old 1st October 2013, 19:40   #227
Senior - BHPian

Re: PICS : Tastefully Modified Cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
wonder the plight of the officer who steps out of this vehicle at a crime scene... will anybody take him seriously ?
That should not be a big deal in India where 10 cops are jammed into a Sumo or Qualis.

Unfortunately in many other countries a lot of emphasis is given to 'show of power' rather than tying to find a vehicle thats effective in getting the job done. For example US Police will not touch anything that's not a V8
Old 1st October 2013, 20:05   #228
Senior - BHPian

Re: Indian Police Cars

I have seen the police chases only on TV. I got to see a chase in the US last time. I was coming off I-10 and they were chasing a Toyota pickup who was driving rather slow. The police cars were some Ford ones and they were flooring it. I guess they were pushing to get the guy before he got on to the freeway.

In such cases, they need power and also reinforcement to hit the runing cars and spin them.
Old 1st October 2013, 22:21   #229
Senior - BHPian

Sure but you can get the required power in a V6.

Anyway, the Nano is for light patrol which is what they do 90% of the time.
Old 13th November 2013, 20:39   #230
Senior - BHPian

Not exactly police car but pune fire brigade recently got these vehicles. Looks like a beach patrol car. I liked it.
Attached Images

tushky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2014, 19:57   #231
Senior - BHPian

This is the latest addition to the Kerala Police force, an 18 lakh all-terrain off-road Polaris six-seater. (Polaris Ranger Crew 800 six-seater)
Indian Police Cars-polaris.jpg

This vehicle will be used primarily to patrol Kerala's famous Kovalam beach stretch.

Last edited by sarathlal : 28th March 2014 at 20:02.
sarathlal is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 28th March 2014, 21:11   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
This is the latest addition to the Kerala Police force, an 18 lakh all-terrain off-road Polaris six-seater.

This vehicle will be used primarily to patrol Kerala's famous Kovalam beach stretch.
Will that be used only in the beach?
Read somewhere importing LHD is not possible anymore, hence this shouldn't also be put on the roads. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 28th March 2014, 22:17   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Will that be used only in the beach?
Read somewhere importing LHD is not possible anymore, hence this shouldn't also be put on the roads. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
You are right. This vehicle will not be used on roads as per the report. I guess these particular details related to Polaris are available in TBHP thread on these vehicles. They donot need to pay road tax as well.
Old 29th March 2014, 09:40   #234
Senior - BHPian

The Pune firebrigade vehicles in #230 carry some fire fighting equipment, and their gearbox has a PTO where booster pumps will be installed.
These can enter spots where the big fire truck dosent go, and the booster pump will boost water pumped from a fire tender or tanker parked a few 100 M away.
For places where even these dont reach they have. http://www.motorbeam.com/wp-content/...gade_fleet.jpg

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2014, 12:18   #235
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
This is the latest addition to the Kerala Police force, an 18 lakh all-terrain off-road Polaris six-seater. (Polaris Ranger Crew 800 six-seater)
I guess it will be less than 12 months before this stops working. Components will mysteriously go missing from this and some trivial excuse like "sand got into critical mech components, it had to be thrown away. Since spares are not available, hence not operational" is given to the watchful public eye in kerala.
Old 4th May 2014, 00:49   #236
BHPian

Kerala: 7 more interceptors to keep vigil on roads, 20 more planned

Indian Police Cars-01tvtvinterceptor_1870497f.jpg
Quote:
MVD to buy 20 more vehicles to check rash, drunk driving

Seven interceptors, each priced Rs.25 lakh, procured by the Motor Vehicles Department to check speeding, rash and negligent driving, drunk driving and haphazard parking, were launched on Wednesday.
Quote:
The off-white and blue all-weather interceptor is equipped with roof-mounted surveillance camera, digital video recorder and playback equipment, breathalyser, laptop, printer, siren, and microphone. The laser gun, installed in the rear of the vehicle, can trace the number plate from 200 metre away during daytime, and 80 metre at night. It can be made operational when the vehicle is running and stationary. The GPS module will help record the exact place of checking.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle5963652.ece
darklord is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 07:34   #237
M35
BHPian

Re: Kerala: 7 more interceptors to keep vigil on roads, 20 more planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
Quote:
These vehicles could to book 60 lakh cases and fetch a compounding fee of Rs.7.5 crore to the exchequer.
There is no denying the fact that people need to be taught, unfortunately, how to behave on public roads while being behind the wheel. Only wish a similar interest is shown for bettering the road infrastructure as well. It’s improving, but definitely not at a rate one expects it to be, in this 21st century. It [poor road infrastructure] becomes very evident, the moment you cross any Kerala boarder in your outward journey.
Old 4th May 2014, 13:32   #238
BHPian

The interceptors are bought mainly to make money, not keep vigil on the road. If they really wanted to maintain road safety, they would have built proper roads first. I have seen many of these interceptors at work here in Bengaluru. The only 'rash' drivers/riders they catch are the ones who do 55 km/h in a 50 km/h limited 6 lane road. Those who do 80+ or 100+ are let off as the cops aren't brave enough to stand in the way of those vehicles. Coming to one of the major problems called lane discipline, lack of which is the cause of a good share of accidents, most of the cops themselves don't know what it is. So I won't talk about it any further. To summarize, these interceptors mostly cause problems only to those who try to play by the rules.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 19:51   #239
Senior - BHPian

25lakhs per vehicle?! Nobody knows how much has been diverted into the pockets of all concerned people involved in the procurement.

Lets see how long these will remain in action! What happened to the old Versa based interceptors?

Want to make the roads safe?
1) Include road safety and awareness as a compulsory subject in school syllabus from Std 5 onwards. If not the current gen atleast the newer generation will benefit.
2) Stop issuing driving licences to people who are not eligible for it in the first place. Being able to drive is not your right its a privilege, enforce this.
3) Maintain roads and signs properly.
4) Make jaywalkers and jaycyclists accountable.
Sankar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th May 2014, 19:11   #240
BHPian

Instead of spending so much for these cars which are just to take away money form the road users they must first develop good roads. A few months back I too was fined Rs 400 for over speeding. I was doing 75 on a Trivandrum bypass where the speed limit was 70. And the funny thing was that there was no traffic at that time. Agreed kerala is a small state but this much population and this much per capita income roads here are to be widened first than compared to areas where there are no people at all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks