Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2017, 21:00   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2017 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Ideally, this is how City should have been in the past 2 refreshes. Now, they added those necessary things [in the name of "features"] and asking for a huge premium, I would say.
That's a valid point, but from a manufacturers point if they had provided all these so called features earlier, what would they provide now? (other than a upgrade in powertrain which is quite costly affair and time consuming)

This is common across all OEs, not to forget some develop the features during initial design (or launch) but hide them from the customer for the future facelift (one classic example is the MID features if Chevy Beat)
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 21:33   #17
BHPian

OT

Honda, please give us a Jazz with same trim as City Topend with 1.5L NA Petrol + CVT and Magic Seats.
Many like me will give it a serious look for the sheer practicality of Jazz.

1.2 with CVT just doesn't cut in Jazz compared to 1.2 Turbo+DSG of the Polo TSI.
freedom is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2017, 23:04   #18
BHPian

Do the DRLs automatically switch on when you start the car?

Also, they should've made them as bright as the Baleno's. Would've increased the road presence by leaps and bounds.
Old 23rd February 2017, 00:09   #19
BHPian

The Autoportal review says that the CVT comes with a 7 speed torque converter. What does they really mean? I thought CVT and Torque converter were 2 different kinds of AT systems.

Check at 8:30
aviraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 08:38   #20
BHPian

Thanks for the report!! . This review came as a surprise as I was not expecting the review will be up so early.

Anyways I feel that Honda as gone Hyundai way by generously offering feature comforts and in fact in some places it has put Hyundai to shame when I compare the same with Creta which misses many goodies. However I surely miss the 6th clog in the petrol variant as the rev friendly engine begs for this gear and wonder why Honda choose to ignore this. With 17L OTR Bangalore, surely this commands a premium and as pointed out by earlier, premiumness will matter only if quality is not compromised.
DragonHawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 08:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
185/55 R16 tyres are shod on these diamond cut alloy rims on top VX and ZX variants
Low profile tyres mayn't be good for City, hope Honda doesn't have to rollback these similar to Toyota on Innova Crysta.
Old 23rd February 2017, 10:44   #22
BHPian

Thanks for the report/review.

I must say that the face-lift and the resulting price is characteristically Honda.

I would not spend 16.21 lacs (on-road price - Pune) on a Honda City for sure. With a stretched budget of ~3 lacs, one gets a Hyundai Elantra 2.0 SX AT ('17 model) for 19.33 lacs onroad in Pune. That is more car per rupee, and is a far better product overall than the City.

And as far as direct competitors are concerned, the Vento HL Plus TSI DSG is a far better product in terms of build quality and appeal. It's apparent if one compares the quality/look-n'-feel of the LED head-lamps in both.

So City ZX CVT costs 14.16 ex-showroom in Pune whereas Vento TSI DSG HL Plus is 12.67 (ex-showroom Mumbai).

So for lesser money one is getting an engine that is as good and a far better gearbox.

The problem with the new City facelift is that due to the price it's neither here or there. First of all in my opinion, the City does not have the badge/style value to command this price. Which is needed when one is spending 16.5 lacs on a depreciating asset like a car.

Sorry, Honda. You'll not win me over as a customer with this product.

PS: we have a Honda Brio in our garage presently. So no offense meant towards aspiring/current owners.

Last edited by AbhisheKulkarni : 23rd February 2017 at 10:46.
AbhisheKulkarni is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 10:53   #23
Team-BHP Support

Not sure yet how I feel about the City face-lift. I feel the current generation has lost the subtlety that the earlier gen had. Very subjective, of course.

Hopefully, Honda has addressed the quality issues with the pre-facelift model.

Can the facelift get City its lost glory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The boot however gets insulation on the trunk door, which is a welcome addition
Thank goodness, better sense prevailed. Every time I open the boot my '09 City, the lid looks awful.

Quote:
The review car had a full size alloy spare wheel:
Attachment 1611413
But, looks like the inherent flaw in the way the spare is mounted is retained. When the spare is mounted, you can't check air pressure, can you? You'd have to unmount, check and mount it back again. A tiresome exercise when you're in the queue at the pump and half a dozen cars are breathing down.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 23rd February 2017 at 10:54.
libranof1987 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 10:56   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
The Autoportal review says that the CVT comes with a 7 speed torque converter. What does they really mean? I thought CVT and Torque converter were 2 different kinds of AT systems.
Even Honda official website says so:

https://hondacarindia.com/nextgenengineering/CVT.html
pravint is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 10:58   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
Also, they should've made them as bright as the Baleno's. Would've increased the road presence by leaps and bounds.
This certainly highlights the fact that Honda has provided a very gimmicky LED DRL with may be one led at the top end illuminating the DRL tube. It definitely does not look like high R&D OEM quality to me. So much for the perceived premiumness.
varunswnt is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 11:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post

https://Youtu.be/Tz9PhUM8Htc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravint View Post
Even Honda official website says so:

https://hondacarindia.com/nextgenengineering/CVT.html
Honda's CVT is a 7 Speed one, but to improve the low end torque, they have given a Torque Convertor which helps mask the lag at low RPMs.
CarguyNish is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 11:59   #27
BHPian

Hi Guys,

In the previous model of City, CVT was offered in the SV variant as well as VX. One of the differences was that in the VX paddle shifters were offered which was not there in the SV.

Any idea in the new City considering there is CVT in V,VX and ZX if paddle shifters are offered and if so in which variants?
Old 23rd February 2017, 12:17   #28
BHPian

I saw the car in person yesterday. Critical thing I want to bring to all your notice is that, the new Infotainment units does NOT support BOTH Carplay and Android Auto. This is very disappointing. Also, the touch seems to be resistive (not capacitive). I think Honda missed a huge opportunity here. The maps also came from sources that was not mapmyindia. Overall, I was personally disappointed with these omissions.
bsdbsd is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 12:53   #29
BHPian

Not a lot has been added to this facelift. The infotainment system still looks tacky, when cheaper cars come with a better unit nowadays. It might be the only car that comes with 185 section tyres in the segment, even after facelift
The exterior styling cues arent very different as well, save for those LEDs. I am a big fan of that 1.5 iVTEC but expected more substantial changes from Honda, given that none of its current offerings are doing great. The V iVTEC variant is priced sensibly and the diesel ones are priced over the top. Honda will have sleepless nights if/when Ciaz gets the 1.6 MJD.

Last edited by Waspune : 23rd February 2017 at 12:54.
Waspune is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 13:34   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
It might be the only car that comes with 185 section tyres in the segment, even after facelift
Both Vento and Rapid have 185 section tyres. Lower variants of the Ciaz too.

Last edited by deerhunter : 23rd February 2017 at 13:38.
deerhunter is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed