Old 23rd February 2017, 22:19   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2017 Honda City Facelift : A Close Look

Took the TD of the City 1.5 ZX-CVT.

Pros:
a) Ease of use.
b) Peppy engine and no lag when you're gentle on the throttle
c) Seating position: comfortable and high
d) Took the TD after dark so the headlights are good.
e) Steering is light.
f) Ride is not too soft not too harsh perfect. Took it to some bad patches: it didn't crash or thud, neither did it rock and roll!

Cons:
a) The engine isn't that silent; could have done with better sound deadening. (My Elantra is near silent on the move).

Oh, yes, finally took the plunge and booked a City VX-CVT (Orchid Pearl White) the hunt has finally come to an end!

Feeling: Guilty as hell at the thought of splurging so much on a car! Am taking the B2B insurance, 2 years extra extended warranty, 2 years extra road side assistance, Return to invoice (natural calamity) I've given the Honda Connect Device a go! Will keep you all posted, delivery promised next week, no EMI's this time.

Last edited by .anshuman : 24th February 2017 at 13:48. Reason: Post formatted for ease of reading. Thanks
Durango Dude is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 00:05   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Oh, yes, finally took the plunge and booked a City VX-CVT (Orchid Pearl White) the hunt has finally come to an end! Feeling: Guilty as hell at the thought of splurging so much on a car! Am taking the B2B insurance, 2 years extra extended warranty, 2 years extra road side assistance, Return to invoice (natural calamity) I've given the Honda Connect Device a go! Will keep you all posted, delivery promised next week, no EMI's this time.
Congratulations on your selection DurangoDude !! Even I am looking for a upgrade and really tempted by VX version. How much did it cost OTR in chennai and any freebies? Is it Sundaram or Capital honda?
concorde24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 07:56   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on your selection DurangoDude !! Even I am looking for a upgrade and really tempted by VX version. How much did it cost OTR in chennai and any freebies? Is it Sundaram or Capital honda?
You must be surprised, yet to do the math! Something like 15.9 L OTR, freebies (Haha) almost none. Asked my registration to avail some 3-4K corp. discount. I asked for mats; City 3D mats are real cool. Capital Honda, Meenambakkam.

I need some advice, how good it that 'device' (Honda Connect) Device cost ₹7999 and subscription (annual) ₹2470. If anyone has it or is using it kindly update, I asked to delete it as it looked 'gimmicky'; basically the sales person started of like: "If you have a crash it will inform your relatives/friends and work shop"! It left a bad taste in the mouth and I said 'no'!

Last edited by Durango Dude : 24th February 2017 at 08:03.
Durango Dude is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 12:27   #49
BHPian

The city refresh looks good... had hoped they would upgrade the tyres to that of the Linea .. 205/55/R16... that would have been worhty of cheering

Does it seem a worthy upgrade to the Linea Tjet (2012 model)?
Especially the CVT variants.

Plan on doing a test drive this weekend.
sahibrain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 12:55   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahibrain View Post
The city refresh looks good... had hoped they would upgrade the tyres to that of the Linea .. 205/55/R16... that would have been worhty of cheering

Upgrade? Depends on how you view rather interpret 'UPGRADE'.
I drive a 2015 TJet and my Brother-in-Law has the 2015 Honda City VTec. Since, the mechanicals are the same I can answer this to an extent.

With respect to space inside, City is a giant leap especially with respect to the rear passenger legroom and kneeroom. Linea in comparison is cramped. Quality of plastics is way better. Also, the clutch is lighter in the City, EPS means it is easier to manoeuvre. City is feature rich as well. Best part in the City: The ergonomics are well sorted out. No brushing your arms with the co-passenger during gear shifts. And lots of usable storage space.

However, 'Upgrade' wrt to performance - It's not. Linea is still superior in this regard and also the ride and handling is better in the Linea. Do note that the TJet comes with all discs around hence better stopping power. I personally prefer the HPS over the EPS.

If you're fixed on the City, then do note the below two points:
1. Upgrade the tyres to 195 section and the ride on the City would be improved allot. Also, City would then transform into a better driving machine as well. Just a tyre upgrade
2. Make sure you slow down to less than 15kmph before going over bumps. City is no Linea when it comes to handling the speed-breakers .

If you are looking for a performance upgrade per se, then look no further than the Maruti Suzuki S-Cross 1.6.

Both the cars at my end are manual hence no comments on the auto transmission of the City.

Last edited by Vinodh_Gowda : 24th February 2017 at 13:00.
Vinodh_Gowda is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 13:26   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Took the TD of the City 1.5 ZX-CVT. Will keep you all posted, delivery promised next week, no EMI's this time.
Way to go Durango. May I push you to opt for the ZX . It is just another 50 G's or so. Beg, Borrow, Steal or Save, but go for it!
On a serious note, the Bucket Floor mats are really awesome. I too have opted for them along with the door visor, which has been a boon for me on my BRV. Being short, the morning sun is perfectly blocked by them and the rest by the stick on sun shields.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 14:29   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinodh_Gowda View Post
With respect to space inside, City is a giant leap especially with respect to the rear passenger legroom and kneeroom. Linea in comparison is cramped. Quality of plastics is way better.
Sadly, interior space especially at the rear seat was never a Linea strong point.

Quote:
Also, the clutch is lighter in the City, EPS means it is easier to manoeuvre.
I simply love the HPS of the Tjet. It's just perfect !!
The EPS of the city i drove (not sure of the 2017 one) was too flimsy for me.

Quote:
Best part in the City: The ergonomics are well sorted out. No brushing your arms with the co-passenger during gear shifts. And lots of usable storage space.
I know what you mean. It's really a pain point.

Quote:
However, 'Upgrade' wrt to performance - It's not. Linea is still superior in this regard and also the ride and handling is better in the Linea.
Driving pleasure made me opt for the TJET in 2012 as well. So glad that it still holds good.

Quote:
If you're fixed on the City, then do note the below two points:
Just want to explore options, not that I'm in any hurry. Now with the Jetta discontinued, my options seem to be limited.

Quote:
If you are looking for a performance upgrade per se, then look no further than the Maruti Suzuki S-Cross 1.6.

Both the cars at my end are manual hence no comments on the auto transmission of the City.
i have read a lot of good things of the S-Cross and 1.6 engine. However, not sure on how it can handle luggage for a family of 4 on 3-4 day outings. This is something the huge boot of the Linea can gobble up.

However, I have heard good things about the CVT/ paddle shifters in the city. So want to explore them.
sahibrain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 16:30   #53

Mod note: Post edited, please use proper punctuation's and space for better readability. Thanks.

Took a Test drive for the Honda city Diesel today. Got my hands on the new all ZX variant.

1. Honda has definitely worked on styling and done a great job, the facelift looks much much sportier and especially the new alloy wheels make the car look premium.

To my look found a pre-facelift model standing right next to the new one and the styling changes are clearly significant. You can really feel the difference in a single look. Everything on the front and the rear seems to have been given a edge and made better when it comes to styling although not so sure about the cars sides.

2. The interiors don't really look too much changes except for the new infotainment system and it does look great. Everything does seem well fir, Plz correct me if I'm wrong on this one though

3. Styling wise it's an absolute beauty, BUT THAT DIESEL ENGINE! No doubt it's got great performance and the six speed gearbox helps use that power really well but the noise. Just hoping for Honda to come up with a new diesel engine by the time the next gen City arrives (I know it's a bit early to talk about that though ). I have been driving a Diesel Ford EcoSport for a while now and was a bit disappointed to hear that engine noise from the City right from when I turned it on. Ford and Hyundai seem to have worked out this much much better.

But overall.. Beauty of a car! If anyone looking for a petrol mid size sedan the City is the one to go for, Diesel well Honda can definitely do much better.

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th February 2017 at 16:39.
shubham4india is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 16:52   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Way to go Durango. May I push you to opt for the ZX . It is just another 50 G's or so. Beg, Borrow, Steal or Save, but go for it!
On a serious note, the Bucket Floor mats are really awesome. I too have opted for them along with the door visor, which has been a boon for me on my BRV. Being short, the morning sun is perfectly blocked by them and the rest by the stick on sun shields.
Thank you, Ritesh! I've decided on the VX. With all the necessary add ons it would be almost ₹1L difference between ZX and VX. Bucket mats are awesome indeed.

Quote:

I've TDed the T-Jet when it arrived. Just take a TD of the City, you may be pleasantly surprised. To be frank, I hate the pedal position of FIATS there's something strange about them. Space, seating and ease of use that's the City's calling card.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 24th February 2017 at 20:23. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 19:12   #55
BHPian

Quote:

With respect to space inside, City is a giant leap especially with respect to the rear passenger legroom and kneeroom. Linea in comparison is cramped.
However we need to sit very low in city which affects the under thigh support, not with Linea. Also the Linea comes with 185-190 mm of GC and coupled with the stiff springs, it doesnt scrape anywhere even when its fully loaded, something the City has always been prone to.

So for me City is the better city car and Linea is the better highway car.

Last edited by Waspune : 24th February 2017 at 19:14.
Old 24th February 2017, 19:23   #56
BHPian

Quote:

I would suggest you to look for Cruze (running with good discounts) or S-Cross 1.6 and it should be an apt upgrade for your Linea. Even though Linea would still be ahead in ride, handling and steering response but on the power front you would be happy. City would be a downgrade in terms of power for sure.
Old 24th February 2017, 22:07   #57
BHPian

The side profile looks very similar to the present Hyundai Verna especially with those diamond cut alloys.
Old 24th February 2017, 22:45   #58
BHPian

Test drove the City ZX - ticks most boxes on comfort and practicality.
I asked the sales rep regarding upgrading to 195 section width tyres. He confirmed that while the upgrade wouldn't void any warranty but his service engineer opined that the wider tyres might play foul with the wheel well sides especially while turning and will result in the tyres wearing out much earlier than the stock 185's. Can any current gen City owners who've upgraded to 195 Michelins kindly throw some light on this.
Old 24th February 2017, 22:49   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epuneet View Post
Can any current gen City owners who've upgraded to 195 Michelins kindly throw some light on this.
No issues at all. You can easily go upto 205, but 195 is more than sufficient.
ScorpMan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 23:13   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epuneet View Post
He confirmed that while the upgrade wouldn't void any warranty.
I highly doubt this. The sales rep is just trying to make the sale. He cannot confirm if upgrading the tyres will affect the warranty. IMO, it definitely will affect the warranty. The best bet would be to talk to somebody from the A.S.S, not the sales dept.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks