Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2020, 23:23   #2131
Senior - BHPian

First Mahindra Thar to be auctioned for charity

Mahindra will be auctioning the first Mahindra Thar for charity. The auction will be held between September 24-27.

The company has launched a new page where those who are interested can register for the auction. The Thar #1 will come with a customized badge with the winner's initials, serial number 1 on a special decorative VIN plate on the dashboard and leatherette seats. The winning bidder will be able to choose between a hard or soft top, petrol or diesel powertrain with either a manual or automatic gearbox. The car will be offered in the LX trim.

Mahindra will also match the highest bid and the entire proceeds will be donated to either Naandi Foundation, Swades Foundation, or PM CARES fund - based on the choice of the winning bidder.

The Thar is powered by a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder mStallion petrol engine that produces 150 BHP and 320 Nm. It is also available with a 2.2-litre mHawk diesel unit that makes 130 BHP and 320 Nm. Both engines are available with either a 6-speed manual or 6-speed automatic transmission. A four-wheel drive system with a manual shift transfer case is standard across all variants.

The SUV boasts of a breakover angle of 27 degrees, approach angle of 41.8 degrees, departure angle of 36.8 degrees, 650 mm water wading capability, 226 mm ground clearance, and gradeability of 31 degrees. It gets features like brake locking differential, advanced roll over mitigation, hill hold and hill descent control. The SUV rides on 18-inch wheels 255/65 all-terrain tyres.

Take a look at the 50 observations of the 2020 Thar here.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-www.teambhp.com41.jpeg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screen-shot-20200920-11.20.07-pm.png

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by blackwasp : 20th September 2020 at 23:24.
blackwasp is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 00:36   #2132
BHPian

Re: First Mahindra Thar to be auctioned for charity

A great gesture by Mahindra!

Should help in building up the hype behind the Thar even more.

Also, I wonder if they are just doing it to estimate how much people are ready to spend on the SUV and price it accordingly!

Maybe!
theAutomaniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 06:46   #2133
BHPian

I feel the rear windows should be openable or atleast sliding ones. I live in the Nilgiris , and the ghat roads makes many people travel sick.
nishkamm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 07:57   #2134
BHPian

Re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Doubt regarding the roll cage as I have not seen any discussion about the same here.
Is there any other car which provides roll cage protection? May be its provided because of the lighter top, My doubt is that roll cage should provide better protection when compared to any other vehicles in the case of a roll over, right?

The lighter top, rear seats not kept above the wheel arches (all leading to lower CG) , roll cage, wider tyres, etc should make the THAR safer, and a decent handler, but the reviewers state that it doesn't have a good high speed/straight line stability. May be its because of the ladder on frame construction.
Old 21st September 2020, 08:04   #2135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
The lighter top, rear seats not kept above the wheel arches (all leading to lower CG) , roll cage, wider tyres, etc should make the THAR safer, and a decent handler, but the reviewers state that it doesn't have a good high speed/straight line stability. May be its because of the ladder on frame construction.
Short wheelbase at play. A short wheelbase on a tall car is disastrous for high speed stability. Thar is being built on a shortened Scorpio platform. It should be a fair guesstimate that the Scorpio is more stable at speed simply because of the longer distance between the two axles. All in all, Scorpio has always been among the worst handling cars we have today, and well, it’s a part of the DNA of the Thar as well.

I will be very surprised if Mahindra makes it ride and handle significantly better.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 12:22   #2136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmeet View Post
This seams to be more of a marketing gimmick.
It surely is. The fund that they source through this 1 vehicle sale would be peanuts for the CSR funds of a conglomerate like M&M.

And like someone said, I wish M&M does not consider the sale price of this Serial#1 as a reference to place the actual price bracket.

(PS: Has been a long wait that prospective buyers will also be ready with alternate choices (cars) in the mean time, if the pricing is not as expected )

Last edited by balenoed_ : 21st September 2020 at 12:26.
Old 21st September 2020, 14:19   #2137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
(PS: Has been a long wait that prospective buyers will also be ready with alternate choices (cars) in the mean time, if the pricing is not as expected )
True that! If it’s priced unreasonably high am going for the Isuzu V-Cross.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st September 2020 at 16:24. Reason: Please refrain from using SMS lingo while posting on the forums. Thanks.
fjcruiser08 is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 21st September 2020, 15:19   #2138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
It surely is. The fund that they source through this 1 vehicle sale would be peanuts for the CSR funds of a conglomerate like M&M.

And like someone said, I wish M&M does not consider the sale price of this Serial#1 as a reference to place the actual price bracket.

Companies today will do anything to ensure they catch the eye of the consumer. However I would doubt the auction price can play any part in setting the actual price of the product. It's merely a marketing stunt and good atleast some money goes in the hands of some people trying to some good (hopefully).

However, an important point that was brought up by one of the members about what sales numbers can be called success. Thar hasn't clocked high numbers ever and mostly been a sub 500 vehicle. With this renewed avatar what will be a success number? M&M knows one thing for sure, a 3 door lifestyle 4x4 won't sell a lot in India anyday. So the pricing will be key here, unless they get greedy.

Man, 2nd Oct just seems to be so far.
Old 21st September 2020, 15:51   #2139
Senior - BHPian

I agree on the wait time. And for all the wait, if the high end trim of the Thar exceeds 13L On Road , I will have to think.

The only reason I did not buy it 8 years back despite doing multiple test drives was because it was not value for money for a car that did not have a music system and a hard top and an Air Con.

The jeep lovers will say that it is a Jeep thing and it goes with the heart. No doubt, it sure does and hence the feel of very long wait already. I sincerely hope it is priced right. My wife is already keen to see and own one. But she also balances out the feelings with the state of the current times and questioning hard on the need for getting a Thar and how it makes sense to have one lesser loan. 😊

Yes , the longer the wait, the more chances for dialogues like this and it is not easy.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 23:20   #2140
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
I agree on the wait time. And for all the wait, if the high end trim of the Thar exceeds 13L On Road , I will have to think.
Sorry, it ain't gonna happen. The barebone this generation Thar was probably 12.5 OTR Bangalore, this 2020 with all the updates at 13 is simply unimaginable and you'd be fooling yourself if you think that ways.

The top end would easily touch 17+, especially looking at the way manufacturers are pricing their steads here, case in, Sonet and other bunch of CSUV's. Looking at their pricing, I would seriously suggest non NCR BHPians to hold on possessions for as long as possible, keep revitalizing them and put the hard earned money somewhere else. A Sonet at 17-18 is numbing to say the least.

VFM and Thar shall never go hand in hand.

Just to add, the 2 decade old Scorpio with 120 HP and 280 NM was retailing at 15 OTR last year (talking Mahindra here, not 4m and sub 4m comparo here), this one with all the updates ain't happening at 13, no not even if Mr Mahindra is thinking volumes here.

ACI has rightly nailed it at 12-15 ex showroom, give and take 50K both ways.

Last edited by Torquedo : 21st September 2020 at 23:30.
Torquedo is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 09:02   #2141
Senior - BHPian

I agree Torquedo. I must have added the word ' I wish ' to my post.

I was just expressing that there would be many like me who have always eyed the Thar in the past and there seeps in 'some' factor which forces one to look elsewhere.

Like for example - I desperately wanted to own one. It is like a feeling that is something that is deep Inside for decades. The only way I can buy this is with the Heart. And for that , I will have to sell either my Crysta ( that has done only 45K in 20 months and it does not make sense to sell that ) or my 3 year old Baleno. Doing this action is purely a function of the gush of the Thar love that will flow and for that to flow , there is always a 'wish Price ' that I have from M&M.

The wait for the 2nd October is definitely long. 😊
jkrishnakj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 12:00   #2142
DSY

Came across a few images of the new Thar in ax trim in Black .
P.s. the front bumper is missing the silver portion:
Attached Thumbnails
The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-f34722abbc3449f78444f43161f6798a.jpeg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-91e3fc8d00ea4ff18c312d3773f1a9ca.jpeg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-519afce0bde14c5491ddbf94b0c0a037.jpeg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-443a51012d484b2eb5f9c829ced74676.jpeg  

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-c6ad1cede53149d18eaf00ee8c77a9ff.jpeg  

DSY is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 12:22   #2143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSY View Post
Thanks for the pictures.

Phew the sidestep on all 3 doors look sturdy and useful.

With the visible condenser inside the grill, could be the AX - AC variant.

Thar in black looks a gangster car. A nice set of 18" alloys will complete the look.
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 12:53   #2144
DSY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSY View Post
Sorry was not able to edit the earlier post to add the link of the video.Attaching the same here.

DSY is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 16:39   #2145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
I agree Torquedo. I must have added the word ' I wish ' to my post.

I was just expressing that there would be many like me who have always eyed the Thar in the past and there seeps in 'some' factor which forces one to look elsewhere.

Like for example - I desperately wanted to own one. It is like a feeling that is something that is deep Inside for decades. The only way I can buy this is with the Heart. And for that , I will have to sell either my Crysta ( that has done only 45K in 20 months and it does not make sense to sell that ) or my 3 year old Baleno. Doing this action is purely a function of the gush of the Thar love that will flow and for that to flow , there is always a 'wish Price ' that I have from M&M.

The wait for the 2nd October is definitely long. 😊
I so much relate to your post. I am in a similar boat and to be honest, this could be the nearest I will get to own a Thar. As time passes, the variables impacting this buy from the heart often become unfavorable over time and hence the "wish" of a sensible pricing.

On a practical note, will the pricing of top end in a city like Bangalore be OTR 13 lacs, I highly suspect. But the question is how much further will it be. People like me and hopefully many others will miss a mid variant that is not very diff from the top end LX, if pricing is obscene. AX(O) seems to be too much of a compromise for a new Jeeper like me.

2nd Oct... a date that just doesn't come any faster.
justwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks