Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2017, 12:32   #496
BHPian

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

I just gave my Linea for annual service at Coimbatore and a brand new Jeep Compass was standing there. It looked butch and the overall fit & finish seems to be good. But I felt that it looked pretty narrow - both internally and externally. The Jeep dealership guy claimed that only diesel manual is going to be launched for now and no Petrol model for the next 6 months. I doubt his claim though and I look forward to purchase an automatic Compass in the near future.
ece2k2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 12:33   #497
J.Ravi

No cruise control? No TPMS? No 235 mm-wide tyres? No hill-descent control? No rain-sensing wipers? No auto headlamps? No start & stop micro hybrid technology? No, thanks. There are many more absentees. I am happy with my XUV 500. I don't want to downgrade to J Compass.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 17th June 2017 at 12:52.
  (9) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 12:57   #498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
No cruise control? No TPMS? No 235-mm wide tyres? No hill-descent control? No rain-sensing wipers? No auto headlamps? No start & stop micro hybrid technology? No, thanks. There are many more absentees. I am happy with my XUV 500. I don't want to downgrade to J Compass.
I agree its a downgrade for sure but my personal opinion would be on space and not much on so called auto technology.

Apart from 7 seats and tremendous leg/shoulder space, i feel Compass (IF priced right) is a better bet. The quality of interiors, ride and handling quality, fit and finish etc are more important than auto headlight,wiper, start/ stop etc. I mean of all these 6 years with my XUV, i have never used these auto features. How much time does it take to put your hand out and do it manually? If everything becomes automatic, then wheres the feel of driving a CAR?
But then thats my personal opinion. (you can call me old fashioned )

Last edited by GTO : 28th June 2017 at 09:07. Reason: Typo
nitinralli is offline   (9) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 17th June 2017, 13:08   #499
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
I agree its a downgrade for sure..I mean of all these 6 years with my XUV, i have never used these auto features.
I use all these features always. Having used to these comforts, I don't want to downgrade by paying more. Some of these features are must for me in my next upgrade, if not all. Of course, priority and compromise vary from person to person.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 17th June 2017 at 13:10.
  (6) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 13:26   #500
BHPian

Quote:
No cruise control? No TPMS? No 235 mm-wide tyres? No hill-descent control? No rain-sensing wipers? No auto headlamps? No start & stop micro hybrid technology? No, thanks. There are many more absentees. I am happy with my XUV 500. I don't want to downgrade to J Compass.
There is us driving the car and then there's car driving itself

One can stay in a cocoon or one can live on the edge. It all boils down to what one wants in life.

I feel too many Gizmos take away the chance for one to really learn car control. The difference between a good driver and a poor one is known when one is in the thick of things and the Gizmo gives up.

We have to bet our lives on our skills more than ch***se electronics.
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 13:43   #501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Of all the features you listed, only the Hill descent control is valid. And please don't even get anyone started on that Micro hybrid stop start! That's a Gimmick that M&M played on the government to avail subsidies. Now once GST kicks in you will see this feature slowly disappear from M&M and also from the Suzuki SHVS cars.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 13:48   #502
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
There is us driving the car and then there's car driving itself
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
And please don't even get anyone started on that Micro hybrid stop start!
235 mm-wide tyres are not gizmos. Cruise control is a must for me. I use start & stop micro hybrid feature during winter in Bangalore. As I mentioned already, priority and compromise vary from person to person. Ultimately, what one gets for the price paid is important. If I don't want all these features and comforts, I can very well buy an entry level hatchback!

Last edited by J.Ravi : 17th June 2017 at 13:58.
  (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 13:53   #503
BHPian

Overdrive has come out with their first drive review of Jeep compass. I like the way Rohit Paradkar reviews the cars. His videos always have details and interesting observations which are missing from other video reviews.

+ Looks intimidating without being big
+ No difference in domestic and export models quality wise
+ Well put together cabin with soft touch plastics
+ Comfortable seats. Good for 4 adults and 1 Kid.
+ Very derivable car with linear power surge. Good in city and Highway.
+ Suspension with FSD (Frequency Selective Damping) from Koni, which controls the buildup of pressure and adjusts the suspension according to the terrain.
+ Excellent brakes

- Doesn't have the size for a 25l vehicle.
- Missing equipment : no auto headlamps, auto wipers, auto dimming IRVM, powered tailgate.
- Smaller infotainment system.
- No in-built navigation
- Manual box only. 9 Speed DCT might come in later, if there is demand.

Some interesting observations:

Front headlights are inspired from Iron Man

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-headlamps.jpg

Strange placement of volume controls behind the steering wheel

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-volumecontrols.jpg

Blanked out switches on steering wheel remind the missing equipment from Indian version

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-cabin.jpg

Android Auto gets a full screen layout while....

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-androidauto.jpg

Apple Car play is scaled down

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-carplay.jpg

Lower variants get a 5 inch touch screen system

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-5inchsystem.jpg

Design meetings happened in Desert rather than comfy cubicles

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepdesigner.jpg
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-designmeetingindesert.jpg

Just love the way Jeep has put the branding in several places so subtly at ORVMS

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepbranding.jpg

Boot Lid

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeeplogobootlid.jpg

Tyre Valve Caps

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepbrandingvalvecaps.jpg

Mopar Branding on window glass

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-moparbranding.jpg

Floor Mats

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepbrandingfloormats.jpg

Sill Plates

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-sillplates.jpg

Boot Space

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-bootsapce.jpg

Firestone Tyres make their India debut with Jeep Compass

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-firestone.jpg

Drive Selector

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-driveselector.jpg

FSD Suspension Tech from Koni

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-fsdtechsuspension.jpg

Data Sheet

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepdata.jpg

Just like GTO says the most important aspect in a vehicle is it's engine. Similarly Rohit says that the engine and suspension are the highlights of Compass.
He also says that Compass left him impressed and delivers a iron man like punch!! All Fiat has to do now, is to price this car sensibly and provide good service support.
Please Fiat please don't blow this up!!

Last edited by PraNeel : 17th June 2017 at 13:58.
PraNeel is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 14:19   #504
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
235 mm-wide tyres are not gizmos.
True. But then again, XUV 5OO is a bigger and heavier vehicle than Compass.

So far, we've seen almost every review comment on the 225 section Firestone tyres which of the Compass for road grip, traction off road and for zero road noise.

Quote:
Cruise control is a must for me.
True. That's a big miss. Hopefully they correct it soon. And speaking of XUV - I would have liked sunroof added to Compass as well.

As a big time fan of the XUV 5OO - I can see quite a few reasons to own a Compass instead. 1) XUV is oversized for our family of two. 2) Quality 3) Engine 4) Build and 5) Better (subjective looks).

However, as an XUV owner - I don't think it would be an 'upgrade' for you and both vehicles seem to be targeting a similar price band anyways.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 17th June 2017 at 14:24.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 14:52   #505
BHPian

At 20 to 25 lakhs on road price, it is very important to have an automatic variant at launch. Historically fiat cars were never offered with an automatic transmission in India and this was a primary reason for me to start looking at other brands during my last purchase. It would be a blunder if jeep assumes that it can sell a decent number of cars for 20+ lakhs without an AT option
Old 17th June 2017, 14:53   #506
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
Overdrive has come out with their first drive review of Jeep compass.
And saw this as well - lap belt for the rear middle seat! Not really cool for a car in its segment.

Name:  Capture_20170617165720.png
Views: 2967
Size:  497.3 KB
vb-saan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 15:05   #507
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Not really cool for a car in its segment.
And from the AutoPortal review, notice the rear seat armrest's cupholder section?

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-compass.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-compass2.jpg

Can we say - YIKES?!
Old 17th June 2017, 15:42   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
True. But then again, XUV 5OO is a bigger and heavier vehicle than Compass.

As a big time fan of the XUV 5OO - I can see quite a few reasons to own a Compass instead. 1) XUV is oversized for our family of two. 2) Quality 3) Engine 4) Build and 5) Better (subjective looks).
Just my thoughts on this -

1. Size - depends on the preference of the buyer, for example I regularly use 6 seats + luggage.

2. Quality - agreed, Jeep can easily be better here.

3. Engine - this i am not sure. This is the best part in XUV as it is refined, tract-able, fast and frugal.
As per the figures posted from overdrive in this page, being a lighter vehicle, Jeep does 0-100 in 11.9s (only 0.5 faster than XUV) and returns around 11 to 14 as per Overdrive. I easily get 12-14 kmpl in XUV.
I am curious as to where the power to weight advantage of Jeep gone? I was hoping a 9.5s 0-100 and a 200 kmph top with a average of 16 KMPL.
Lets wait and watch.

4. Build - will have to check in real life as XUV is well built too, only the interior finishing, fit and texture is poor.

5. Of course, Jeep is quite a looker and most will like it.

Here's hoping a grand success to Jeep on the compass and eagerly awaiting Team-Bhp's take on the compass.
Aniket6 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 16:16   #509
BHPian

Quote:
235 mm-wide tyres are not gizmos. Cruise control is a must for me. I use start & stop micro hybrid feature during winter in Bangalore. As I mentioned already, priority and compromise vary from person to person. Ultimately, what one gets for the price paid is important. If I don't want all these features and comforts, I can very well buy an entry level hatchback!
All vehicles sold today as "SUV" are not really capable SUVs, rather big cars with nice ground clearance and nice gizmos.

Agreed your needs are different, so please don't judge every vehicle with your needs. You evaluate them based on what they are made for.

Going by my needs a JCB Backhoe Loader would be a good vehicle for me, but can I compare it with Jeep?
autocrat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 17:07   #510
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
All vehicles sold today as "SUV" are not really capable SUVs, rather big cars with nice ground clearance and nice gizmos.
Without the Trailhawk variant, neither is the Jeep Compass. Probably it would still hold it's ground against the Duster AWD, Hexa and XUV AWD, and especially Tucson and Tiguan - but it is not hardcore SUV either.

Should be good enough for 99.99% of the target audience though!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 17th June 2017 at 17:29.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks