Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2011, 22:32   #421
Senior - BHPian

Re: VIP Car numbers

My friend's Scorpio Vlx MHawk has AP .. AK 47

It is all well that the sections of Motor Vehicle Act and other rules are quoted by police/RTA while challaning the public, why wouldnt the RTA charge a nominal amount form the customer at the time of registering a vehicle / issuing a driving licence and issue a copy of all the relevant Acts, rules and regulations that are to be followed?

Last edited by simplyself : 3rd July 2011 at 22:35.
Old 4th July 2011, 00:03   #422
BHPian

Having a fancy number do matter @least down south.

2909 - Amby - Sold
1512 - Amby - Sold

Above 2 aren't great, but when we have similar cars at home, we just name the cars by their number :P

5555 - Amby - Sold
9999 - Sumo - Sold
444 - CBZ Xtreme - Sold
4849 - Bike still at home - Dealer paid 1.5k to RTO for this to get me.
3236 - Scooty
Forgot Pep+ number, Some fancy number similar to the above.

Heard longtime back that Numbers like 1 digits, same digits and 8's, 0008 have been taken by govt. for their vehicles.

Also, number reservations are high by politicians as usual.
Old 8th July 2011, 10:49   #423
BHPian

I started reading this thread like a story book actually. What I actually expected to see were articles on how RTO officials are generally eating money under the table to allot fancy numbers, politicians doing the same thing, etc. But what did I see instead? T-bhp'ians proudly posting how they bribe officials in the RTO to get these special numbers, one BHP-ian even used CLOUT to get these special numbers.

I'm just a bit confused here. We do slap stickers on our cars, saying "I DRIVE SAFE" and "WEAR A SEATBELT", heck we even accept the rules and regulations of the almighty team-bhp.com to follow road rules and not drink and drive etc. Why are we encouraging paying RTO officials for special numbers? Again, when the RTO themselves are corrupt, why are we encouraging them to continue to be so?

Sure they're allowed to officially auction numbers, but 'knowing someone' or 'having contacts' to weasel out a number reeks of underhandedness to me. And then again, deceiving traffic police and the people around by using trickery in the font type to make the numbers look like something else? Are we actually proud of breaking the law? We seem to be patting each other on the back and saying "hey, that's a pretty neat trick" and "wow, you really made the font look cool in this one".

Aren't we the same folks who cringe when a headlight is smoked and it reduces visibility on the road? I for one, do not think this thread is morally correct, nor is it saying the right things about team-bhp.com. Just open this thread from page 1 and look at the posts. Please stop encouraging team bhpians from breaking the law!
Old 8th July 2011, 11:42   #424
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
I started reading this thread like a story book actually. What I actually expected to see were articles on how RTO officials are generally eating money under the table to allot fancy numbers, politicians doing the same thing, etc. But what did I see instead? T-bhp'ians proudly posting how they bribe officials in the RTO to get these special numbers, one BHP-ian even used CLOUT to get these special numbers.

I'm just a bit confused here. We do slap stickers on our cars, saying "I DRIVE SAFE" and "WEAR A SEATBELT", heck we even accept the rules and regulations of the almighty team-bhp.com to follow road rules and not drink and drive etc. Why are we encouraging paying RTO officials for special numbers? Again, when the RTO themselves are corrupt, why are we encouraging them to continue to be so?

Sure they're allowed to officially auction numbers, but 'knowing someone' or 'having contacts' to weasel out a number reeks of underhandedness to me. And then again, deceiving traffic police and the people around by using trickery in the font type to make the numbers look like something else? Are we actually proud of breaking the law? We seem to be patting each other on the back and saying "hey, that's a pretty neat trick" and "wow, you really made the font look cool in this one".

Aren't we the same folks who cringe when a headlight is smoked and it reduces visibility on the road? I for one, do not think this thread is morally correct, nor is it saying the right things about team-bhp.com. Just open this thread from page 1 and look at the posts. Please stop encouraging team bhpians from breaking the law!
I don’t think there is anything wrong with the thread as such. Agree that its wrong when someone boast about paying the RTO/officials to get hold of a specific number. But (from what I know) it’s a legal practice nowadays to book a preferred number. You get a receipt for the booking, and if your selection is not allotted successfully, you will get a refund as well. For e.g.; if 3 persons bid for a number, and only one got it, the other 2 will get a refund. IIRC, in Thrissur RTO (Kerala), the price for number selection starts at Rs.2000. They publish the currently running series and also the booking details in the website as well. I guess there is enough transparency in the system, and hence no harm in discussing it here. Of course, if someone mention about under-the-table dealings, that should be discouraged.
Old 11th July 2011, 11:59   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
One of my friends is a Fancy No: maniac

Swift VXi - KL ** - 1
Innova - KL ** - A1
Fortuner - KL ** - B1
HD 48 - KL 8 ** - 48 (Registered in nearby district to get the # 48)
i20 - KL ** - A 200 (# 120 was already issued therefore chose 200)

The money spent on these no:s in total would by a fully loaded midsize sedan!

People living around Ottapalam would be knowing this guy.

The number CAR 8055 - or CAR BOSS was my dads car for 2 months. It was a 85 or 86 model M800 but re-registered to KLW before we bought it. It had the old book type RC & that is how i found the previous no:.

The car was in a bad condition & we sold it off after finding that the car had major problems.

A big businessman in GCC/Kerala has 2-3 cars with no: KL** - AL 1. His name is Mohammed Ali. ALI=AL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
That sounds good, if we go per the law at least 50% of the examples in my earlier post are legal. Capital, readable, thickness and spacing can all be per the law and it can still look fancy. For example 8055 in digital font all capital, readable, right thickness and spacing and it will look like BOSS. But one can still read 8055 and BOSS. Wow infact when you look at 8055 without the digital font it still looks BOSS, doesnt it
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
Seen an Toyota Innova with the same No (8055) in chennai.
Hi,

Here is a photo of a car which has been uploaded on the Facebook Page of Delhi Traffic Police. Lots of challans have been issued by the Delhi traffic Police using the photographs uploaded by the people (fans). Now this BOSS will also be issued a challan within a day or two, and the details will be available on the facebook (Delhi Traffic Police).

VIP Car numbers-boss.jpg

So please beware that writing numbers in special fonts is ILLEGAL, atleast for now in Delhi but if rules are implemented properly in our country then it is ILLEGAL everywhere in India.

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 11th July 2011 at 12:01.
Old 11th July 2011, 12:12   #426
BHPian

Guys, these prices paid in India for VIP numbers are veeeery low. Our Skoda vRS in Bombay had 7117 and the previous owner paid something like 5k for it. In Dubai, the cheapest "exclusive" number costs about AED 5-6k. That converts to Rs. 60-70k. Numbers here go for millions of dirhams, i.e., crores of Rupees for single digits.

@Sahil, yup, RTO agents are the way to go.
Old 11th July 2011, 12:22   #427
BHPian

Here is an update form the Joint Commissioner of Police (Traffic) - Satyendra Garg on the facebook:

VIP Car numbers-boss1.jpg

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 11th July 2011 at 12:23.
Old 11th July 2011, 15:30   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Here is an update form the Joint Commissioner of Police (Traffic) - Satyendra Garg on the facebook:

Attachment 575572

Cheers!
Irish
I can't stand these stool pigeons.

Most of these guys who post pics of others, break the rules themselves, yet they try and take this moral high ground nonsense. Pathetic.
Old 12th July 2011, 12:44   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooney View Post
No offence, but what you are doing here, my friend, is illegal and an act of idiocy of the highest kind. You are NOT ALLOWED to make your license plates 'fancy,' let alone change it.

And how can you think 'the number plate is not as crucial as other laws.!?' The plates are the most important identifiers of a vehicle. Will you still say the same if some car with a 'fancy' number which was written to 'look like' 'fool' hit you and ran? What will you tell the cops? "A 'fool' hit me, but I swear the plates were damn cool."
I completely agree. Manipulation of the font to resemble anything other than the number it represents shouldnt be encouraged. We have license plates for a reason after all! If you want sayings or words on your car, get a bumper sticker made!
Old 12th July 2011, 13:35   #430
BHPian

UPDATE on BOSS (8055):

BOSS has been challaned by the Delhi Traffic Police. Please check the facebook update by the JCP of Delhi Traffic Police.

VIP Car numbers-boss2.jpg

Cheers!
Irish
Irish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 23:05   #431
BHPian

Delhi Traffic Police fines another BOSS on Delhi roads.

VIP Car numbers-boss3.jpg

Cheers!
Irish
Old 14th July 2011, 10:36   #432
BHPian

That's a nice piece of news. However, while going through the Delhi Traffic Police FB page, I saw pictures of a lot of cops riding without helmets and / or 'tripling' on their bikes. I wonder, why Mr. Satyendra Garg does not post pictures and comments of how those law-breaking cops were dealt with. It seems he only has a personal grudge against the 'boss' number plates, no?
Old 14th July 2011, 11:09   #433
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post

Sorry to knock you off your high horse here but special numbers (as distinct from fancy fonts) are legally SOLD by the RTO here in Pune at a fixed price of between 3,000 to 1,00,000. (Link). The RTO calls them "attractive numbers".
I bought my Vento number at 5,000/- from the MH12 RTO. It is 55XX format, similar to 55YY on my Swift, which I bought used. I like that my numbers get me some attention, and maybe someday I'll have a 5 series with 5555 .
I didn't bribe anybody- just paid my dealer who dealt with the RTO himself, for a small fee- and am still on the (legal) plates that my dealer fixed. Will change to high-security plates sometime soon.
I like that RTOs have wisened up to the charm of special numbers and started generating revenue out of them. As the first post on this thread indicates, people are crazy about such things and are willing to pay huge amounts for it. I'd rather it goes into the administration's coffers than some corrupt inspector's or clerk's!
Old 14th July 2011, 11:30   #434
Senior - BHPian

I enquired my dealer (Mount Road KUN Hyundai) when I bought my car last year. He said 7k or 9k if in current series and 28k for out-of-series number.

I was looking for 4002 (not a fancy number, its the same number our good ol' Amby had). Didnt take it, for 28K I could've gone to the next trim level.
~~~~~
During my Bangalore days, I used to see a residence in Dollars Colony JP Nagar that had many cars that had the number 612 (all from Jayanagar RTO).

Last edited by narayans80 : 14th July 2011 at 11:33.
Old 14th July 2011, 11:41   #435
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Sorry to knock you off your high horse here but special numbers (as distinct from fancy fonts) are legally SOLD by the RTO here in Pune at a fixed price of between 3,000 to 1,00,000. (Link). The RTO calls them "attractive numbers".
I bought my Vento number at 5,000/- from the MH12 RTO. It is 55XX format, similar to 55YY on my Swift, which I bought used. I like that my numbers get me some attention, and maybe someday I'll have a 5 series with 5555 .
I didn't bribe anybody- just paid my dealer who dealt with the RTO himself, for a small fee- and am still on the (legal) plates that my dealer fixed. Will change to high-security plates sometime soon.
I like that RTOs have wisened up to the charm of special numbers and started generating revenue out of them. As the first post on this thread indicates, people are crazy about such things and are willing to pay huge amounts for it. I'd rather it goes into the administration's coffers than some corrupt inspector's or clerk's!
Yes, and this was available in a small town like Thrissur (Kerala) in 2003 itself. When I bought my Ikon, we picked a number from the running series at that time, and the bill was about Rs.2000 (official receipt).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks