Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2019, 08:25   #1966
BHPian

re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Can someone tell me what does it mean to say automotive industry is going through a horrible phase? I checked out Octavia, Compass and Civic as an alternate to Seltos(I have pre booked it but there is too much confusion and I need a car soon). None of the above are giving any substantial discounts and make a blanket statement sorry sir no discounts on the model u r seeing and I'm like wow and what is the discount I keep reading about!!

Now coming back to Seltos, it is as if the interest is dying down. Irrespective of the price being +-50k I expected a better build quality, not saying it is not safe but after checking out a few well built cars this looks ordinary. I might boast with some features unique to Seltos but after initial hooplah dies down it's the basics which would stay.

Also I am kind of perplexed by the Indian market, Good cars never have good resale.
springisking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 08:55   #1967
Distinguished - BHPian

I'll take all the opinions here with a pinch of salt until I can personally check out the vehicle, but if all the opinions here on build quality, i.e door shut, haptics, panel rigidity etc are true, and even compared with the weakest link of them all - the Maruti then I'm shocked beyond belief since globally, KIA is seen as even better than Hyundai in terms of build and interiors.

If KIA is adopting the Japanese methodology of low-weight, average haptics and sprightly engine, then I'll have to take it off the potential next car list immediately and stick with Hyundai Kona (makes my life easier).

No Bose-speakers, or equalizer lights can make up for build quality.
dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 08:58   #1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by springisking View Post
Can someone tell me what does it mean to say automotive industry is going through a horrible phase? I checked out Octavia, Compass and Civic as an alternate to Seltos(I have pre booked it but there is too much confusion and I need a car soon). None of the above are giving any substantial discounts and make a blanket statement sorry sir no discounts on the model u r seeing and I'm like wow and what is the discount I keep reading about!!

Now coming back to Seltos, it is as if the interest is dying down. Irrespective of the price being +-50k I expected a better build quality, not saying it is not safe but after checking out a few well built cars this looks ordinary. I might boast with some features unique to Seltos but after initial hooplah dies down it's the basics which would stay.

Also I am kind of perplexed by the Indian market, Good cars never have good resale.

These so called discounts are there with selected dealers at certain place. Also in selected colours and variants.

Check this url for offers and discount. While surfing I came across this advertisement of Jeep compass. Hope this will help you and others.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...66357414697582
Old 20th August 2019, 09:39   #1969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Do we have the details as to what voice commands are possible with the AI Voice command feature? Only calling etc or can we control the air-conditioning, the power windows and the sunroof like on the Hector?
No, these gimmicks are not present in the Seltos. What you do get is a much sort after technology.
Old 20th August 2019, 09:40   #1970
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
If KIA is adopting the Japanese methodology of low-weight, average haptics and sprightly engine, then I'll have to take it off the potential next car list immediately and stick with Hyundai Kona (makes my life easier).
Ah that would be too drastic. Like you said - don't decide unless you experience the vehicle yourself. I don't think the Seltos is Maruti quality. Far from it.

On the other hand - I'd say Hyundai isn't the benchmark of build quality either. Hyundai cars are also fairly lightly built. Its the fit & finish where they are literally untouchable. Hard to find flimsy fit/poor finish even in invible parts of the car in a Hyundai.

I don't think the Seltos will be much different than the Creta on build front. Which is good enough I think.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 09:42   #1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil.marine View Post
These so called discounts are there with selected dealers at certain place. Also in selected colours and variants.

Check this url for offers and discount. While surfing I came across this advertisement of Jeep compass. Hope this will help you and others.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...66357414697582
I too have pre-booked the Seltos but since I am in a hurry and I am not too sure about the car. I did not find anything in the car that makes me not want to buy it but rather my heart has been on Compass since long and I had been putting it off because of price.

So last week I finally booked a compass as well and dealer was pretty firm there is no discount on limited plus but finally after a lot discussion he gave a cash discount of 1lac on the OTR price including the optional accessories, 3M car treatment and 10,000 as handling charges also he insisted that insurance be bought from him since that would give him some margin. In online sites it is somewhere around 70-75k whereas dealer has quoted 1.3lac for the same.

Now I am just waiting for pricing of Seltos to be out before I cancel on of the booking.

PS: My first post on team-bhp
goldsmit409 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 09:51   #1972
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
On the other hand - I'd say Hyundai isn't the benchmark of build quality either. Hyundai cars are also fairly lightly built.
Hyundai is very close to the benchmark of build quality for me, and it's based purely on the 3 cars of theirs that I've owned - the Santro Xing was far above its competition during its day, then I owned the Getz and to be honest the Polo didn't seem in any way superior to it, quite the opposite as I've experienced cars like the Indica and Civic bang into it from behind and their bumpers were misaligned (the Civic's bumper fell down) and nary a scratch on the Getz. That was one piece of rock right there. Now the Elantra is even more of a rock as an Etios banged its front fender while I was stationary and its bumper was misaligned while all I had was a scratch.

That's why I always like to check things out for myself and there is very little chance that the Kia would be as good as the Elantra in terms of build. Though build quality isn't in any way related to safety, I like a good solid car as it improves noise isolation, helps in maintenance of body and the overall haptics would be that of a luxury car.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 10:08   #1973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Why not? This embargo was only put on professional and invited reviewers.
What I meant was the FE was way too low for a vehicle of this capacity. If I remember correctly, it was 6.XX kmpl. Well hyundai petrol engines are not very fuel efficient and I know a friend who owns a grand i10 auto gets 9 kmpl. Keeping in mind it's BS6 and new age turbo, can't we expect it to deliver double digit city mileage.
Old 20th August 2019, 10:37   #1974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sou_3749 View Post
What I meant was the FE was way too low for a vehicle of this capacity. If I remember correctly, it was 6.XX kmpl. Well hyundai petrol engines are not very fuel efficient and I know a friend who owns a grand i10 auto gets 9 kmpl. Keeping in mind it's BS6 and new age turbo, can't we expect it to deliver double digit city mileage.
i think likewise. My dilemma is that i have a daily drive of 70 kms and having a single digit mileage is not a feasible solution and tends to incline me towards Diesel. The mileage difference will be atleast 3 to 4 Kmpl
Old 20th August 2019, 11:07   #1975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sou_3749 View Post
... Keeping in mind it's BS6 and new age turbo, can't we expect it to deliver double digit city mileage.
Hyundai petrol engines are notorious for being gas guzzlers irrespective of their size. Apparently it becomes even worse when coupled with DCT. Some members have found similar mileage even in 1.0DCT Venue. I wouldn't be surprised if 1.4L DCT returned something similar, in the range of 6.xx in city conditions.
Old 20th August 2019, 11:07   #1976
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MukundanMK View Post
Sir, when can we expect some review (if not the regular detailed one) from Team BHP? Most of the members following this thread have pre booked the Seltos and would be in the first set of lots to take delivery of the car. Some words of confidence from Team BHP will help us definitely. The reviews that came on Aug 9th from most of the other websites looked like either a paid review or a biased review
@Mods, saw a note on MG Hector thread that the review of Hector would take another 2 months. That would mean, the review of Seltos would be taking a minimum of 3-4 months from today. We have a lot of forum members who have pre-booked and they would be taking delivery of the Seltos very soon. I believe few (or probably 2) of our Mods had been to the Aug 9th event organized by Kia. Can we get some short review or their comments on the Seltos?

We would blindly trust the comments/reviews from our Mods and it would have an higher weightage than the test drive that we do. It may be that Team BHP has its own review standards, but if you can have some summarized review for prospective new buyers, then that would help us a lot. I was so excited about Jeep Compass Petrol Auto and even convinced my wife for the finance part. I had done 2 TD of that car, but decided not to proceed with that, as TBHP review didn't give a thumbs up for the Petrol Auto. If some word of confidence comes from our Mods, then it will help us a lot in taking a final call. This is not just for Seltos, requesting such pre-launch review for all potential future car releases also
MukundanMK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 11:10   #1977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsmit409 View Post
... I did not find anything in the car that makes me not want to buy it but rather my heart has been on Compass since long and I had been putting it off because of price.

If you plan to keep your car for longer period of times (above 5 years), then I would suggest stick to what your heart suggests. Brain adjusts to heart over time, but not the other way around. Especially if you are smitten by Compass, I would say don't compromise, especially if you don't change your cars every couple of years.
ani_meher is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 11:28   #1978
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsmit409 View Post
I too have pre-booked the Seltos but since I am in a hurry and I am not too sure about the car. I did not find anything in the car that makes me not want to buy it but rather my heart has been on Compass since long and I had been putting it off because of price.
In online sites it is somewhere around 70-75k whereas dealer has quoted 1.3lac for the same.

Now I am just waiting for pricing of Seltos to be out before I cancel on of the booking.

PS: My first post on team-bhp
Welcome to the forum Goldsmit409. See you around. Congratulations on your bookings.

Both excellent cars. If I were you, I'd go with the Compass if I could afford it.
However - the difference between 70k and 1.3L is HUGE. I don't feel you should take the insurance from them in that case. Getting ripped off unknowingly is one thing. Letting someone do it & knowing it beforehand is not right! Get the insurance from outside & take the discounts still.

If they don't budge - I'd say Jeep is too arogant. I would cancel the booking in that case.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 11:40   #1979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Again, the story repeated in June 2015, when I went to check Creta. Everything was same and just the addition was that the receptionist took my number when I entered. Till now I haven't recieved call.
Guess what, the same guys from Hyundai came promptly to my office with the Creta for an extended Test Drive, that too within few hours of expressing interest.

It is all a game of demand and supply.

Seltos is a new launch in an in-demand segment. The initial exuberance is expected.

Personally, I feel it's better to wait it out for a few months, and then evaluate things in a relaxed pace.
Take Longish Test drives, multiple test drives, go through real user feedback, Tbhp reviews etc. are all part of the process.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 11:46   #1980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Welcome to the forum Goldsmit409. See you around. Congratulations on your bookings.

Both excellent cars. If I were you, I'd go with the Compass if I could afford it.
However - the difference between 70k and 1.3L is HUGE. I don't feel you should take the insurance from them in that case. Getting ripped off unknowingly is one thing. Letting someone do it & knowing it beforehand is not right! Get the insurance from outside & take the discounts still.

If they don't budge - I'd say Jeep is too arogant. I would cancel the booking in that case.
Agreed on what @Reinhard is saying. All dealers will agree to cut down their insurance margin and would try to match with the online quote. I believe indirectly that is the only discount that the dealer is giving to you. Ideally you should negotiate on cash discount on the car and over & above that, discount on the insurance. That would be a sweet deal. When I was negotiating for the Jeep Compass Petrol Auto, they offered me 1L cash discount, 60K discount on insurance and 50K exchange bonus. I however didn't proceed with the booking for other reasons.

If your heart is tilting towards Compass, then go for it. The difference in cost would be substantial, when you are comparing with the Seltos price. However if you keep the car for longer time, say 5-6 years and then sell it, then you wont feel the impact of the price difference much. Also when you are selling the car, you would partially recover the higher difference that you had paid when purchasing the car.

I would any day go for the JC compared to any other car. Last year I convinced my wife and almost finalized on JC Petrol Auto, but dropped due to the not so good review/feedback from TBHP. Auto is a must for me and there was no Diesel Auto then and Trailhawk is completely out of my budget range even. Have pre-booked the Seltos long time back and nothing much has happened after that. Waiting and waiting (im)patiently for the next steps
MukundanMK is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks