Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2019, 13:39   #2716
BHPian

Re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
First of all, congratulations to you on the new vehicle and wishing many happy miles with the vehicle.
Can you please mention what niggles/issues you have heard in the 1.4 GDi engine?

I am interested in the 1.4 GTX/GTX+ for the additional power and safety features. So, I am very curious to know any issues with this engine..
Sir, thank you for the wishes, if you please type 'KIA GDI Engine problems in Google, there are number of blogs, videos about the same, you might have to dig deeper to know how the air to fuel mixture ratio leads to oil deposits on intake valves.

Added to this, with the limited technical knowledge I have, my worry was about the quality of BS4 fuel which we get in rural areas, (atleast where I travel frequently in AP rural areas) might not be good enough for the GDI engines or one might have to be extra cautious about this and should be ready for frequent check ups for more routine oil and filter maintenance and getting the valves cleaned more often.

Also, IMO the service advisors might take some time to get hands on experience as only few models are running with these engines in India, correct me if im wrong please.

I am not sure whether manual GTX is available for test drives, didn't find any in Bangalore for sure.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 12th September 2019 at 15:04. Reason: Formatting
Don Dasco is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 15:06   #2717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Dasco View Post

I am not sure whether manual GTX is available for test drives, didn't find any in Bangalore for sure.
There is one manual GTX+ available for TD in JSP KIA ORR that I know of. Anyone interested can try over there.
D'Ro@dSt@r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 15:31   #2718
ADB
BHPian

Quote:
Sir, thank you for the wishes, if you please type 'KIA GDI Engine problems in Google, there are number of blogs, videos about the same, you might have to dig deeper to know how the air to fuel mixture ratio leads to oil deposits on intake valves.

Added to this, with the limited technical knowledge I have, my worry was about the quality of BS4 fuel which we get in rural areas, (atleast where I travel frequently in AP rural areas) might not be good enough for the GDI engines or one might have to be extra cautious about this and should be ready for frequent check ups for more routine oil and filter maintenance and getting the valves cleaned more often.

Also, IMO the service advisors might take some time to get hands on experience as only few models are running with these engines in India, correct me if im wrong please.

I understand your apprehensions with going with GDI engines. They have had their share of ups and downs. However, each engine is different. This specific engine being used in the Seltos isn’t a new engine and has been used across many Hyundai and Kia cars, with great success and minimal niggles.

Here is an excerpt from motoreivewer which reviews engines (you might need to use a VPN to access this site):

“The 1.4 T-GDi is a 1.4-liter turbocharged and direct-injected four-cylinder gasoline engine. It is a member of the new Kappa engine family introduced in 2015 together with a 1.0L three-cylinder version – Kappa 1.0 T-GDi. This 1.4 turbo version debuted in the Hyundai i30 at Auto Expo in 2016 and already has become available in a wide range of cars: Hyundai Elantra, Hyundai Veloster, KIA Ceed, KIA Cerato, and etc.
The Hyundai 1.4T engine features smooth operation and low noise level, more like a V6 engine. It also provides extremely low fuel consumption, in contrast to the large amount of power and torque that you get. The engine is all aluminum and lightweight. It is smaller and 31 lbs (14 kg) lighter than the 1.4L G4FA from the previous Gamma family.

Hyundai Kia 1.4 T-GDi Engine Problems and Reliability:

Although the engine is quite new, it seems that it has no serious problems and flaws. The only thing that can be distinguished is a loud noisy operation of the engine when it is not warm enough. But nevertheless, it should be understood that the turbocharged engine experiences increased loads and it needs better maintenance, high-quality engine oil, and premium gas.
The Kappa 1.4 T-GDi engine life expectancy is about 120,000-150,000 miles (200,000-250,000 km), which is quite normal for this kind of engine.”

Source

Just sharing this for readers who are keen on the sporty performance of the GT line, but are a bit concerned about the reliability.

One thing to note is that most info available doesn’t review the Kia / Hyundai DCT transmission. So please do your due diligence for that (even though I’m going for it - the driving pleasure is worth the risk. And hoping that the extended warranty will cover any major issues with the transmission).
ADB is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 22:07   #2719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Dealers as well as the manufacturer (KIA) is also playing games with the deliveries. Seems like, a new company has already started playing dirty games. KIA is not dispatching the variants as per the booking schedule, but as per their whims and fancies.

Till date, they've not dispatched HTE variants, whether it is in Petrol or Diesel. I heard there are lot of confirmed bookings for HTE, but still not a single vehicle has been delivered. If the Company was not interested in selling lower variants, they should avoid launching in the first place. Just a marketing gimmick.

This is where, Maruti wins. You can get all the variants, without any bias.
I have seen one HTE in Kia Gurgaon Sohna road basement . Not sure if it was petrol or diesel. So shipments are happening, but quite randomly. By the way , base models of many cars (personal experience of Amaze) are only available on demand and that too after a lengthy waiting period
Old 12th September 2019, 22:23   #2720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kia showroom on ORR (Kadubisanahalli?) had it from the beginning.
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 23:15   #2721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
Just got my refund amount credited today after about 2 weeks and multiple follow ups. There was no deduction of Rs 250 and I got the entire amount of 25k back.
My thoughts on the vehicle are still the same and I think its a decent car which will do well in India but its overpriced by atleast 2 lakhs for the top end. I've decided to wait till the end of the year and if I'm still undecided, I might look at Kia again.
Buddy, me too in the same boat :-). But a friend asked me, which car do you think ticks all your boxes of - Having respectable ground clearance, fresh design, creature comforts, connected car features, sunroof, diesel automatic, reasonably peppy engine and a decent ride quality within the on road price for HTX+( 18 lakhs in Punjab ). I got my answer. Its just Creta and Seltos. I am leaning towards Seltos just because of the extra creature features of the car. Believe me, our road conditions do not warrant for a car being driven at super high speeds, which Seltos is pretty much capable of. And I would seriously love keeping my royal arse cooled( ventilated seats option of Seltos) rather than drive at insane speeds racing the Polo GT with DSG and paddle shifters( just a random example guys, dont wanna offend any GT owner ;-)).

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post

On another note, I think success is already gone into the head of Kia dealers. I called 2 dealerships in Hyderabad for test drive of 1.4 GTX/GTX+ manual.
They said only DCT is available. So, I asked them when can I get a test drive of the manual. They were not sure. I asked them can they give me a call back when the vehicle is available. None of them showed any interest or bothered to take down my number. I disconnected the phone and decided not to buy Kia Seltos, at least from these dealerships. If this is the pre-sales experience for a 20Lakh OTR car, I shudder to think what will be the A.S.S. experience.

I think if Kia India management doesn't get these issues sorted out, they might be kicked hard in the *** by the Indian people once the initial hoopla dies down. For me, I will wait for the next-gen Creta or some of the new SUVs from Skoda/VW. Best of luck for people buying the Seltos but I strong believe a customer deserves a better experience.
You know, I feel that this is not the case just with Kia motors. I mean we cannot blame Kia for the follies of the sales persons. As per my experience of visiting car showrooms in my hometown, I feel that the level of knowledge in majority of the sales persons is pathetic to say the least. Maybe it’s because of the downturn or because of the industry standards( pay scales ), the talent is not there. I feel that this part of the industry too needs to mature wherein a car sales job is a respectable job with good pay scales and you need to be qualified enough to land a job.

Last edited by GTO : 14th September 2019 at 10:20. Reason: Strictly no mention of illegally high speeds on Team-BHP please
isldhn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2019, 23:21   #2722

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Albatross. View Post
I am confused between Htk+ automatic diesel and Htx manual diesel variant both being just 50-60 thousand apart . One offers convenience whereas the other offers a rich feel. The former fulfils the need of the hour while the later appeals the eye and the heart more.

Positives of Htk+ auto diesel are:-
-Convenience
-Value for money variant
-All basic necessities are well catered to
Negatives of Htk+ auto diesel are:-
-Bland interiors
-Poor efficiency in city (~12-13kmpl)
-16 inch alloys look puny and overall small tyre diameter looks poor relatively

Positives of Htx manual diesel are:-
-Feels good inside outside
-Higher fuel efficiency in city(~16-17kmpl)
-Alloys appeal me
-No upgrade needed but for an addition of a subwoofer
Negatives of Htx manual diesel are:-
-Clutch travel is long enough to be an irritant in the city
-Lower leg rubs against the lower dashboard while depressing clutch
-Leatherite on the seats isn’t high quality
-Speaker system is same as Htk and Htk+

I have made a booking at Allied Kia, Sohna road , Gurgaon on 18th July but the showroom guys have disappointed me so much that I had to complain to Kia, to no avail as of now I have requested them to shift the booking to any dealer of their preference but Kia hasn’t yet acted . Hoping against hope that the manufacturer acts on my demands. I made another booking today at MG road dealership which offered a superlative booking experience. I shall discuss the experience in the dealership thread .

Now, I am not willing to spend anything more than 16 lakhs for this 112 bhp car .
I wish Kia offered Htk automatic diesel which tick all my check boxes.
Is it possible to buy Htk+ automatic and upgrade/replace the parts with:-
-headlamps of Htx
-alloys of Htx
in a budget of atmost 40 thousand rupees?

Of course I shall get the steering and arm rests leather wrapped too. I believe they shall cost me at most 5-7thousand , thus improving the touch and feel inside.
The above modifications if possible within a budget shall make it near perfect for me.

Some more factors influencing my purchase are:-
-Expected reduction of gst on 20th September
-Increased Depreciation benefits
-Expected reduction of car loan rates in October.
I am not buying before the GST council meet on 20th September as the expected change in price is huge . I would be happy with lower rates of Car loan interest beginning October but I wonder if 30% depreciation benefit for this FY can be availed if I buy before 30th September only and shall become 15% for this FY if I purchase in October to avail lower interest rates.

Request bhpians to guide me. I have bought cars but never have been so confused.
We will have to see the fine print. If the additional depreciation is allowed without any reference to the normal rates, then it might be possible to claim 100% of it i.e. 15% + 7.5% ( half of the yearly 15%). If however its treated in the same way, instead of a total of 30% you'll end up with 15% for any purchase after sept 2019. Let's see how it goes.
ifightforuser31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 00:52   #2723
BHPian

Quote:
Fuel Efficiency : it was showing 17kmpl in the MID for the highway run of 430 kms & got overall 13kmpl for full tank to full tank method with mix of city & highway drive..surprisingly in one of my long city drive including nice road in Bangalore I got 15kmpl including 30 mins of Idle time. MID reading below.
FE update - from last tankful I drove 508 kms, refilled again till auto cut off, it took 44.4 liters...

508/44.4 = 11.44 kmpl for 100% city usage with AC and approx 1 hr of idle running with AC.
Don Dasco is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 07:04   #2724

Quote:
FE update - from last tankful I drove 508 kms, refilled again till auto cut off, it took 44.4 liters...

508/44.4 = 11.44 kmpl for 100% city usage with AC and approx 1 hr of idle running with AC.
Thanks for the updates. How would you rate the engine performance compared to, say, a Honda City?
Old 13th September 2019, 09:06   #2725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranseb View Post
Thanks for the updates. How would you rate the engine performance compared to, say, a Honda City?
I have driven City for probably 5kms in my lifetime and that too 11 years ago so can't compare, but I can say it's at par with Cedia especially the power in 2nd, 3rd & 4th gear and goes flat beyond that.

In open roads, I observed that im upshifting early, by the time I reach 50kmph im already in 6 th gear subconsciously, I continue in that gear till 80 before activating cruise control.

Service center update : Epitome KIA service center is not yet ready.
Don Dasco is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 09:19   #2726
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,
On September 1st, I became a proud owner of 'La'Belle' KIA Seltos HTK+ petrol manual variant, since there are plethora of information in the other Seltos thread, I'll try to be as brief as possible in penning down my experience starting from the my present cars & motorcycles I own/leased, past cars, past motorcycles, thought of a new car, test drives, Booking, pre & post delivery, vehicle behavior & my thoughts, this is my 1st review post, please pardon any mistakes.
Please tell us about the illumination from the head lights at night. Is it bright enough ? Did you get any chance to compare it with the LED headlights of HTX ?
I drive a skoda rapid, and my biggest gripe with the car is its headlights. I want my next car to have sufficient headlights.
rapid_fire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 10:49   #2727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid_fire View Post
Please tell us about the illumination from the head lights at night. Is it bright enough ? Did you get any chance to compare it with the LED headlights of HTX ?
I drive a skoda rapid, and my biggest gripe with the car is its headlights. I want my next car to have sufficient headlights.
Illumination in both low and high beam are good enough but not as great as LEDs (Comparing with other cars led)

No, I didn't get a chance to compare with LEDs of HTXs w.r.t illumination but those white leds look great than these bland yellow lights in HTKs.

One special mention is that right low beam is lower in height than the left and it helps the on coming traffic but looks like this difference is not there in high beam, so far not used the high beam much even on highways but will make a video to post here.

For now, these lightings are sufficient for my usage, I'm not keen on any upgrades.
Don Dasco is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 10:58   #2728
BHPian

Is there any under-body protection provided in Seltos? I couldn't find this information anywhere.
Old 13th September 2019, 12:26   #2729
BHPian

Quote:

Thank you for the update. Did you get any freebies? Were you given any introductory offer? Initially there were some posts here saying Kia is planning a surprise for people who prebooked. Kia has failed to surprise I guess.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...evealed-414121

Happy to see Kia Seltos being nominated for the WCOTY 2020.
binoyyj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 12:37   #2730
BHPian

Quote:
One special mention is that right low beam is lower in height than the left and it helps the on coming traffic but looks like this difference is not there in high beam
You got it right. That is true for all projector based low-beams so it doesn't dazzle the on-coming drivers, whereas in high-beams it can't achieve that effect unless these are auto lowering ones or lazer LED lamps of the Germans, which basically either switch to low beam automatically or switch-off part of the beams which may affect the on-coming driver.
AGwagon is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks