Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2019, 09:41   #2671
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
@lonsharim I would recommend if mileage is not a big concern, you may look at DCT, else the AT is definitely a better bet.

I finally had to settle with the Seltos Diesel AT now against my wish of avoiding Diesel, but I guess I have no choice as Petrol + Auto in any car in this segment will be <10kmpl in B2B traffic.

I am also not happy spending more than 2million rupees on a car which starts at 9.69 and frankly also doesn't feel like a 2million car when you are in it or outside

I am also not keen to stretch myself on Seltos as I am not convinced of its VFM,
I am tired of waiting since past 5 months now! So I have to choose b/w the safety kit or everything else, WHY?

No where feels as nice to drive as the petrol auto Seltos I had TD before.

However, in all the available alternatives this is the best bet I feel.
Friend, you clearly dont like the car. This is what I felt after I read your post.

In a heart vs head battle, I think the Seltos is losing both. Dont buy it, if you havent already.

Give it more time to make a decision or look at alternatives.
2000rpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 10:03   #2672
BHPian

I have been trying to get a test drive of the 1.5 petrol manual seltos and every dealer I call is telling me that neither is the car available nor will it ever be available for the test drive. I got a (as usual with hyundai & kia, a walking distance) test drive of the 1.5 petrol IVT hoping to be able to understand the characteristics of the engine but the rubber band effect was so pronounced that it was simply impossible to understand how the manual would behave.

Further, one dealer told me in a candid conversation that kia wants to promote the 1.4 T-GDi.

The funny part? the brochures that kia sent out before 22 august to dealers mentioned a GTE variant for the budget car buyer which Kia very conveniently skipped at launch.

Clearly then, the variants priced under 15 lakh OTR just seem to be a marketing gimmick to show that the car is well priced. This makes me doubt the extent to which I should be laying my trust in Kia as a car brand.

Also, the ideal mix of test drive vehicles that a dealer should keep in my opinion would be all 3 automatics and the 1.5 petrol manual because the torque convertor and DCT can (in manual mode) give you a fair judgement of how the manual would be while the IVT just cant. But the fact that all dealers had the petrol 1.4 T-GDi manual available for test drive first shows Kia's intent.
Old 10th September 2019, 10:05   #2673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoenthu88 View Post
The Diesel GTX+ AT has a totalling error.
Thanks. Good observation. I received revised version from the dealer. (I havent checked for calculations)

Mods, you may want to merge this with earlier post or replace the scanned image. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-seltos-new.jpg  

Old 10th September 2019, 10:12   #2674
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The AG 6167 View Post
I have been trying to get a test drive of the 1.5 petrol manual seltos and every dealer I call is telling me that neither is the car available nor will it ever be available for the test drive.

Clearly then, the variants priced under 15 lakh OTR just seem to be a marketing gimmick to show that the car is well priced. This makes me doubt the extent to which I should be laying my trust in Kia as a car brand.
I echo the same thoughts as you. But it is with most brands these days. The company and dealers are never in sync. Yesterday spoke to a Volkswagen dealer and they said the company has launched the 'New' Polo and Vento but we have not received the car for display or any further information.

Even Kia dealers are not very keen on offering test drives. There is a lot of ambiguity in the variant lists and it's features. Either the dealer staff is not well trained or there is an evident gap which in turn hurt the customers more than anyone else.
Old 10th September 2019, 11:18   #2675
BHPian

Quote:
I have been trying to get a test drive of the 1.5 petrol manual seltos and every dealer I call is telling me that neither is the car available nor will it ever be available for the test drive. I got a (as usual with hyundai & kia, a walking distance) test drive of the 1.5 petrol IVT hoping to be able to understand the characteristics of the engine but the rubber band effect was so pronounced that it was simply impossible to understand how the manual would behave.
Have been repeatedly following up with the dealer for 1.5 petrol TD and still it is not available. Could be

1. The 1.5 petrol car is very poor on driving dynamics. They don’t want to expose that too early.

2. They are not making much profit on the 1.5 petrol car. It is just for keeping the sticker price low.

This strategy of Kia is beyond understanding. They could have clearly avoided launching this engine if they were not interested in selling it.

I feel 1.4 TGDI suits highway runs only and the turbo lag makes it a pain to drive in the city plus the poor efficiency and higher maintenance cost. On top of that not heard any encouraging global reviews about its long term reliability either. Was ready with a cheque for 1.5 petrol just for the linearity one can expect from a NA motor. Holding my purchase for the TD to be available. No way i am spending millions on a car without a proper TD.
Old 10th September 2019, 11:20   #2676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Friend, you clearly dont like the car. This is what I felt after I read your post.

In a heart vs head battle, I think the Seltos is losing both. Dont buy it, if you havent already.

Give it more time to make a decision or look at alternatives.
The problem is after nearly owning a Hector and having owned a XUV, this doesn't feel as a positive change to heart and nor a VFM to the head.

But the head does also indicate that there are no other viable options on the horizon as well and then there is the issue of BS6 and diesel price escalation with that. So very worried to wait as well!
Old 10th September 2019, 11:33   #2677
BHPian

Quote:
I have been trying to get a test drive of the 1.5 petrol manual seltos and every dealer I call is telling me that neither is the car available nor will it ever be available for the test drive. I got a (as usual with hyundai & kia, a walking distance) test drive of the 1.5 petrol IVT hoping to be able to understand the characteristics of the engine but the rubber band effect was so pronounced that it was simply impossible to understand how the manual would behave..
1.5 HTK, HTK+ and HTX manual are available for ready delivery in Gurgaon. I've driven the IVT as well and it's fairly close to the City CVT. Expect performance of the manual to be 70-80% of the manual City. Not bad at all, but certainly not class leading.
Old 10th September 2019, 11:45   #2678
BHPian

Greetings,
Finally the much coveted membership got approved and here I am with my first post on the forum.
I visited the Kia Showroom in Guntur, Andhra Pradesh on a Sunday.
Only two cars were available. The showroom was still not ready. Lot of construction going on.
I was lucky enough to have spent few minutes with the display car which was GT line Diesel (GTX+) Manual.
They had no clue about the automatic version's availability for test drive.
I also got to test drive the HTX+ manual version on the National Highway and a rough patch of service lane.
My observations are:
1) Build Quality is on par with Hyundai standards. Much better than Japanese Counter parts.
2) Engine: Super refined Diesel engine. No engine noise creeped into the cabin.
3) Ride Quality: The suspension is on the hard side. That said, the car handled the rough patch with ease.
4) Engine is not peppy as I expected.
(May be because I drive SX4 1.6 petrol)
Overall a good product but overpriced by a lakh or two.
My money is on the HTK plus variant, the Manual as well as Automatic variants.
Awaiting Team-Bhp's review..
matchvan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 11:47   #2679
BHPian

Quote:
The problem is after nearly owning a Hector and having owned a XUV, this doesn't feel as a positive change to heart and nor a VFM to the head.

But the head does also indicate that there are no other viable options on the horizon as well and then there is the issue of BS6 and diesel price escalation with that. So very worried to wait as well!
Quote:
I have been contemplating all that as well. First, I had booked a Hector DCT and thankfully got saved JIT from a disastrous 6kmpl in heavy B2B traffic. Then I was looking at DCT Seltos and that too I heard will be ~8kmpl only, which for my daily run of 70km is just not an option.

I finally had to settle with the Seltos Diesel AT now against my wish of avoiding Diesel, but I guess I have no choice as Petrol + Auto in any car in this segment will be <10kmpl in B2B traffic. I am also not happy spending more than 2million rupees on a car which starts at 9.69 and frankly also doesn't feel like a 2million car when you are in it or outside , but hey the car prices have become crazy and it is still a better available option.
Honestly, it would seem as though this purchase is being made more for the sake of it than the need for a new car. If you really aren't happy with the new cars, then it would be better to wait. Understandably you're worried about BS6 and price escalation but I think it would be worth waiting. If you still aren't too happy with the options even after waiting, then I would suggest dipping into the used car segment and seeing what you can get for a new Kia/MG on the petrol standpoint.

I just have one more question, are you only looking at a SUV? Why not look at a sedan? Perhaps the Elantra?
nikhilthegunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 12:00   #2680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

List down the criteria you want in a car and I am sure you will have atleast 3 cars meeting 80% of the criteria. During my last purchase, I test drove everything from a Hexa to a Swift and bought a City as a compromise. Hated it to the guts due to the CVT performance.

Replaced the City with a Polo 1.6 and the heart seems happy.

Parameters compromised, reliability and seamless after-sales. But I mostly drive in and around city, take flight for most long distance trips, hence works out. Facing some issues with finding a genuine FNG in my new residential location, but am hopeful for the same. (used to service my cars in Authorized stations, but VW has very few and all of them are very expensive)

Parameters not compromised - 2 airbags, ABS, decent GC, Petrol, not a very common car, driver oriented car, preferably in stock condition without any modifications.

Tried the Civic, i20 Asta, Figo, Duster, Ecosport in the used car market. New Swift, Freestyle. Liked nothing.

The point is, the segments / body-types are mental barriers, try out different cars and buy the one which convinces the heart and keeps the head happy.
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 13:42   #2681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
Honestly, it would seem as though this purchase is being made more for the sake of it than the need for a new car. ..If you still aren't too happy with the options even after waiting, then I would suggest dipping into the used car segment and seeing what you can get for a new Kia/MG on the petrol standpoint.

I just have one more question, are you only looking at a SUV? Why not look at a sedan? Perhaps the Elantra?
Thanks, but I feel a known devil is better than unknown! Other than the possibility of a Harrier Auto launch and the new Creta, I am really not seeing any car which is coming in the next 3-6 months which will match my criterion. I did TD the Elantra, but didn't like it. For the same money with the offers prefer a Tuscon. Not averse to a D segment Sedan, but not keen to own any Germans (for obvious reasons), which really do not leave me with much choices. Do you have any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
List down the criteria you want in a car and I am sure you will have atleast 3 cars meeting 80% of the criteria. During my last purchase, I test drove everything from a Hexa to a Swift and bought a City as a compromise. Hated it to the guts due to the CVT performance.

..The point is, the segments / body-types are mental barriers, try out different cars and buy the one which convinces the heart and keeps the head happy.
Thanks fo sharing. I completely agree and given I also was looking for heart's validation of the head-led decision I am open to that extent to consider a sedan or a SUV. I have searched all used car sites, but have not found anything exciting fitting my needs.

My basic need is a daily driver cheap to maintain automatic which seems to be a fair trade for parting with around 20Lakhs. I have a daily B2B self drive of 70km and an open to elements (both natural and man-made) parking at work and home, so need to be easy and cheap to mend. Finally, something which doesn't also feel like a waste of a lot of money, so resale is also important.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions/ideas.
Old 10th September 2019, 14:41   #2682
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, but I feel a known devil is better than unknown! Other than the possibility of a Harrier Auto launch and the new Creta, I am really not seeing any car which is coming in the next 3-6 months which will match my criterion. I did TD the Elantra, but didn't like it. For the same money with the offers prefer a Tuscon. Not averse to a D segment Sedan, but not keen to own any Germans (for obvious reasons), which really do not leave me with much choices. Do you have any suggestions?

My basic need is a daily driver cheap to maintain automatic which seems to be a fair trade for parting with around 20Lakhs. I have a daily B2B self drive of 70km and an open to elements (both natural and man-made) parking at work and home, so need to be easy and cheap to mend. Finally, something which doesn't also feel like a waste of a lot of money, so resale is also important.
Well with the Germans out of the running, it would be fair to assume that even the Skoda Octavia is out. (Though its a TBHP darling and I'm sure other members would recommend looking at it.)

Well, you could either look at a midrange Jeep Compass that comes in petrol auto or if you're willing, a used Camry? You could probably get one at the price point you want, though I'm not sure. It being Toyota, will probably be reliable and relatively cheap to maintain and seeing your commute distance, you might want that comfort too.

I think these 2 are your only options left anymore. I honestly can't think of any else.
nikhilthegunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 14:48   #2683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I finally had to settle with the Seltos Diesel AT now against my wish of avoiding Diesel, but I guess I have no choice as Petrol + Auto in any car in this segment will be <10kmpl in B2B traffic. ...

Why don't you look at Nexa XL6? A specious petrol automatic which is only 13cm longer than Seltos. IIRC the 1.5L petrol automatic gives 12+ mileage in city + highway combined. Service center coverage of Maruti vs any newcomer is simply not comparable.

If I were keen on Petrol AT, I would seriously consider XL6 than just settling on something else.

Last edited by ani_meher : 10th September 2019 at 14:49.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2019, 15:07   #2684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
Well, you could either look at a midrange Jeep Compass that comes in petrol auto or if you're willing, a used Camry?
I think these 2 are your only options left anymore. I honestly can't think of any else.
Compass Petrol Auto is ruled out on FE. Camry is good with Hybrid, but any decent example is minimum 25L, plus feel it is a good car to be driven in than drive. Old Toyotas struggle on the basic Android & Apple connectivity as well, which I find is a basic necessity (Google Maps).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
:
Why don't you look at Nexa XL6?
You know if I was fine looking at a lower segment, I would have rather picked a Ciaz petrol AT. Both XL6 and Ciaz are exceptional VFM but that is not the segment that I am after.

Sorry mods for Off Topic discussion, though having been a regular on the H&S threads, know of at least 3 others who have been struggling with the same dilemma. Hope these posts helps all of us in getting some clarity.
Old 10th September 2019, 16:20   #2685
BHPian

Wonder if dealers have changed handling charges to statutory charges?
Why are the on road prices quoted by dealers not matching those given on the portal? Loot it is!
Attached Thumbnails
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img20190909wa0051.jpg  

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks