Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2019, 02:25   #2836
BHPian

Re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Hi guys,

This might be a repeat question, but I would like to know how is the driving experience for the Petrol DCT and the Diesel Torque Converter. Things like engine performance, NVH levels, Fuel Efficiency, overall driving experience/fun, etc.

I have already booked one and would like to see which would be a better fit for me. At this time, I am only interested in the driving experience for both the automatics, so the more detailed explanation, the better.
Old 18th September 2019, 04:40   #2837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TkyoPandaMan View Post
This might be a repeat question, but I would like to know how is the driving experience for the Petrol DCT and the Diesel Torque Converter. Things like engine performance, NVH levels, Fuel Efficiency, overall driving experience/fun, etc.
I would recommend the Petrol DCT if your priority is engine performance and driving experience but do not expect fuel efficiency to be more than 11.Petrol DCT wins in the driving department without any doubt.

You should go for the Diesel Torque converter if you are looking reliability,fuel efficiency and resale.

Last edited by ampere : 18th September 2019 at 07:24. Reason: fixed quote tags
Divyendu Sharma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 09:20   #2838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankush5848 View Post

IMHO HTK is the best VFM variant. HTK+ adds few more features drilling a relatively bigger hole in your pocket vis a vis additional features on offer. For 1.5 lakh extra, it mainly offers you 16" alloys (decent but not attractive), auto folding OVRM, Rear Wiper/defogger, Cruise Control and Push Button along with few useless (for me) cosmetic upgrades.
Thank you..

Agree, if not for Cruise Control (CC) option I wouldn't have gone for the plus variant, I use this feature a lot, I am a big fan of adaptive CC but we can ask only so much from this segment cars, nevertheless, CC works just fine with quick response, easy to use controls, handover is seamless.

All other cosmetic addons can be ignored or added based on convenience, I have seen in WhatsApp group that few owners complaining about the rattling sound from rear parcel shelf which is being investigated.

All the best for your purchase, wish you many more confusion filled sleepless nights before finalizing a variant.
Don Dasco is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 09:30   #2839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADB View Post
If you don’t mind me asking, how did you arrive at this 5% figure? I got a quote for a Tata AIG insurance with every possible add on and it was at least 25% lower than what Kia is offering.
I found the same for HTX+ D AT, the quote has a difference of 10k, 48k Vs 58k, for 95% the same cover.

Quote:
From what I know and read on the Kia website, only the clutch disc “normal wear and tear” is not covered and the rest should be covered.
That is true, this is generally part of the exclusion under normal wear & tear, however, any idea what further gets taken off in case of the extended warranty? I have been asking my AD for a list of exclusions on the EW, but they seems to not have anything.

Also exclusively on the DCT discussion, thankfully the MID has a Transmission Temp Gauge, which I think people would really need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Albatross. View Post
Let’s talk about the buying preferences. I was surprised to see the booking list of a dealer in Gurgaon. Nearly 45% were GTX Dct. I was just shocked to know that my preference of Htx diesel made me a part of the rare 1.1%. Htk+ was the second most preferred model
Some tit bits:-

Insurance amount charges by Kia is less than 5% off the market quotes.

Tyres on htk+ or lower variants were not Goodyear as in the higher variants.
Buddy, not sure where you are getting your information from. I have been to 3 dealers and I can confirm the most awaited models are HTX+ D AT (other than the 2 GTX+, which are yet to enter production). In fact most of them are ready with GTX DCT and manual for ready delivery and there are very few takers as they have decided to upgrade. I was at the showroom and since I am buying on downpayment, I tempted the SAs to tell me what they can sell instantly to me. None of them could promise me a delivery time of less than a month on HTX+ AT, where one of them even referred this variant to "Afeem/Cocaine" as he clarified it is a diesel BS6 engine priced equal to the TGDi.

To your other points, the tyres on the lower variants will be Kumho.
Insurance as I mentioned is cheaper outside, however I found most accessories to be very competitively priced, so they clearly have a strategy there.

Yes, the real world mileage are similar to what we have known to expect from similar engine/gearbox options with Hyundai. No surprises!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TkyoPandaMan View Post
I would like to know how is the driving experience for the Petrol DCT and the Diesel Torque Converter. Things like engine performance, NVH levels, Fuel Efficiency, overall driving experience/fun, etc.
Hey Tyko, I recently drove both back to back, let me answer your queries here from strictly my experiences. I have also driven the manuals of both the engines.
1. Engine performance - DCT has a more pronounced lag off the line, but the gearbox controls it very well post 2nd gear and the shifts are really smooth. The car seems to be able to maintain the revs higher during the gear changes and that I guess results in minimal lag once you get going.

TC has a lesser lag (owing I guess to the diesel torque) and pulls better off the line, but you can't jam your foot in the carpet, as the TC will do its own thing and with each gear build RPM and you will experience the lag, but also the BOOST.

So while drivability of the DCT is better, in the engine dept. Diesel IMO is superior.

2. NVH - Both are well insulated, however when revved hard both are audile, while TGDi has a slightly better sound. However under sedate driving both are good, there isn't much to complain in any from the inside. On the outside you will definitely hear the Diesel.

However the insulation of the cabin from road noise is not up to the segment standard. Noticed this in all my drives.

3. Driving Experience / Fun Quotient - If you like the turbo boost feel (of the Turbo Ds), you will like the power and the experience of the TC as well, however, DCT will be slightly better.

4. Cost of ownership - Having spoken to you already I know this is important. I am sure that if you drive the DCT to have fun, your pocket would be empty (FE, Maint. Cost), whereas you would find no such issues with the TC.
AGwagon is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 09:31   #2840
BHPian

Quote:
From what I know and read on the Kia website, only the clutch disc “normal wear and tear” is not covered and the rest should be covered. The VAG DSG unit / other DCT units had earned a bad reputation due to multiple reasons like mechatronic failure, control unit failure apart from just wear and tear of the clutch (which also happens in any manual transmission). See the screenshot below. You can read the full warranty details here. Experts on DCT / DSG, please pitch in.
Thanks for that. Been thinking this over and over. Heart says GTX DCT. Head says GTX Diesel AT. Head-speak is not due to FE concerns, but mostly around the DCT conundrum. Will the dry dual clutch hold up in our stop-start-stop city conditions? Has been browsing through threads discussing this, but could not find much on the Hyundai DCT in Indian road like scenarios.

On the other hand, the worry about BS4 diesel causing issues in BS6 1.5 Kia engine is making one wonder if it's a good call to go for Diesel AT now.

Any thoughts, suggestions, all welcome.
anoop cheeran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 14:20   #2841
BHPian

Regarding the diesel engine, will there be any (if so, approximately how much) expense to maintain, apart from the premium that we pay upfront? I ask due to a comment from a colleague who stated that the maintenance is almost same with modern engines. Can anyone please weigh in on this?
Old 18th September 2019, 14:36   #2842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK. Oby View Post
Regarding the diesel engine, will there be any (if so, approximately how much) expense to maintain, apart from the premium that we pay upfront? I ask due to a comment from a colleague who stated that the maintenance is almost same with modern engines. Can anyone please weigh in on this?
The difference in maintenance of petrol and diesel is negligible. In some case I have seen the Petrol is slightly expensive than diesel. Most of your service bills these day boils down to what add on you get or you are forced to buy.
PrideRed is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 15:20   #2843
BHPian

Attached is the form and the T&C, exclusions of Extended Warranty. Seems pretty standard stuff. Should one take the EW?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 01_Annexure_Extended_Warranty_-_Registration_formA (1).pdf (341.8 KB, 612 views)
AGwagon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 15:23   #2844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
The difference in maintenance of petrol and diesel is negligible. In some case I have seen the Petrol is slightly expensive than diesel. Most of your service bills these day boils down to what add on you get or you are forced to buy.
This is unfathomable for reasons-

1. Fuel filter, air filter for a diesel is more costly. Plus diesel needs more frequent fuel filter change.
2. Engine oil cost for diesel is more.
3.Add Turbocharger, EGR valve maintenance cost.

Maintenance costs will be
1.5NA <1.4 TGDI<=1.5 CRDI

Yes TGDI maintainance cost will be comparable due to use of fully synthetic engine oil and turbocharger maintenance but still a little lesser than CRDI.
hydraulicsteer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 15:49   #2845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydraulicsteer View Post
This is unfathomable for reasons-

1. Fuel filter, air filter for a diesel is more costly. Plus diesel needs more frequent fuel filter change.
2. Engine oil cost for diesel is more.
3.Add Turbocharger, EGR valve maintenance cost.

Maintenance costs will be
1.5NA <1.4 TGDI<=1.5 CRDI

Yes TGDI maintainance cost will be comparable due to use of fully synthetic engine oil and turbocharger maintenance but still a little lesser than CRDI.
Service cost for Seltos as per KIA website . About 400-500 Rupees difference between Petrol NA and Diesel.

Diesel Petrol Turbo Petrol NA
2133 1758 1614
5105 4730 4586
3593 3218 3074
6157 5967 5659

An old sheet from Ford. You can see some of the services are higher for petrol. Note that petrol in Figo are NA vs Turbo diesel.
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-fordfigo1.jpg

As I mentioned service cost depends on Add On these days, with most manufacturers pushing for so called "Value Added Services". If you can stick to basic servicing all the time, when run for about 1lac KM, you may end up saving about 4-5K if petrol.
PrideRed is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 16:37   #2846
ADB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGwagon View Post
Attached is the form and the T&C, exclusions of Extended Warranty. Seems pretty standard stuff. Should one take the EW?
Thanks. Seems you have found it. Considering the exclusions and the cost for extended warranty, I think it makes sense to get it. I’ve seen instances of issues that come up post 2 to 3 years of ownership. This would cover you for at least a few more years
Old 18th September 2019, 20:38   #2847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Diesel Petrol Turbo Petrol NA
2133 1758 1614
5105 4730 4586
3593 3218 3074
6157 5967 5659
I too checked this out and found this unbelievable!!
I have been spending an average of 15K per service on my Rapid (15000km or 1 year interval), of which the Engine Oil itself is 5K. How can the service cost of Seltos be so low??

Last edited by Aditya : 18th September 2019 at 22:44. Reason: Quote tag fixed
Old 19th September 2019, 00:14   #2848

Guys,
I am picking up a HTX plus D.

I am getting the insurance done with hdfc. The same people who are doing my car loan as well.

The company insurance costs me 56k whereas hdfc is providing it for 42k.

Also they have an extended warranty from bajaj's end for 4k lesser than what the showroom guys are providing.

Explore these options before you decide on the showroom provided insurance and warranty.
MohanRajP is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 07:17   #2849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohanRajP View Post
Guys,

I am picking up a HTX plus D.

The company insurance costs me 56k whereas hdfc is providing it for 42k.

Also they have an extended warranty from bajaj's end for 4k lesser

How does extended warranty from Bajaj work ? Is this like an all inclusive insurance ? I thought extended warranties were always from the company.
sharninder is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 10:38   #2850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by biplab3110 View Post
I too checked this out and found this unbelievable!!
I have been spending an average of 15K per service on my Rapid (15000km or 1 year interval), of which the Engine Oil itself is 5K. How can the service cost of Seltos be so low??

My average service cost for diesel i20 and diesel Verna has been approximately 4500 for every 10k kms/1 year. Only the 30k km service cost is around 6000. It's not unbelievable, at least me.
shravan2k2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks