Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2019, 16:06   #2941
BHPian

Re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
I am in a dilemma. Should I take GTX or the GTX plus.?

I would miss the ventilated seats and 360 degree camera. But the thought of spending less than 20 lacs makes me go for GTX. Dou you think waiting for GTX plus for 6 weeks and paying 1.3 lacs extra is worth it?
Depends on how much value you assign to the creature comforts of a ventilated seat, sunroof, 360 degrees camera and the BOSE badging. For me, it was a no brainer. The GTX ticked all the boxes for me - a DCT with a Turbo Petrol engine, six airbags, all the safety features. The Black seats with red stitching sealed it for me. Plus, I did not like the two tone seats of the GTX+. The design is aftermarket (the quality is not).
Old 24th September 2019, 16:27   #2942
BHPian

Quote:

I would miss the ventilated seats and 360 degree camera. But the thought of spending less than 20 lacs makes me go for GTX. Dou you think waiting for GTX plus for 6 weeks and paying 1.3 lacs extra is worth it?
I had the same dillema however I being particular about the sound system, found the arkyms system a very bland one hence opted for GTX+ plus the ventilated seats is a warmly accepted feature by the family.
Old 24th September 2019, 16:59   #2943
Senior - BHPian

I had a test drive today of the GTX DCT. Overall, the drive was very nice in terms of power, gearbox, ride, handling, overall quality etc. . The build quality seemed okay,better than a Maruti but slightly inferior to my previous gen Jazz and not comparable to Fiat/VW/Skoda cars.

However, I found some of the design elements too much in your face, bordering on cheapness. For example, the speaker grills on the door pads with 500 surfaces and cheap black plastic looks terrible. Even the internal door handles are over-designed. Same thing applies to the exterior face of the car, just too many elements. The LED strip lights appear absolutely after-marketish and the DRL's are not bright to be seen in the daylight.

Now, I am in a dilemma. I was concerned more about the ride and handling before the test drive which Kia seems to have nailed. However, I am finding it difficult to digest the in-your-face design. I think this car is aimed at a younger crowd (at least young at heart) and not for someone hitting the 40's.

I have not made a decision yet. I will check out the GTX+ version with black-beige interiors to see if it looks any better and then take a call.
One question to guys booking the DCT version - With all the issues floating around the web about dry-clutch DCT gearboxes, is it worth taking a risk particularly in our terrible traffic condition?

Last edited by adimicra : 24th September 2019 at 17:01.
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 17:59   #2944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post

I have not made a decision yet. I will check out the GTX+ version with black-beige interiors to see if it looks any better and then take a call.
One question to guys booking the DCT version - With all the issues floating around the web about dry-clutch DCT gearboxes, is it worth taking a risk particularly in our terrible traffic condition?
Well the three year warranty is there with us. I feel for stand stop traffic you can shift to manual gears and stay on 1 for crawling traffic.
Old 24th September 2019, 18:08   #2945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsonlydriver View Post
Well the three year warranty is there with us. I feel for stand stop traffic you can shift to manual gears and stay on 1 for crawling traffic.
Err...this might be a dumb question, but how are you supposed to do that? AFAIK there is no mechanism to shift on the Seltos- no paddle shifters, or anything of the sort.
Old 24th September 2019, 18:42   #2946
REN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
One question to guys booking the DCT version - With all the issues floating around the web about dry-clutch DCT gearboxes, is it worth taking a risk particularly in our terrible traffic condition?[/quote]

Have booked the GTX DCT. I have to admit it's a risk, no matter how you look at it. We have three DSGs within our immediate family - A Vento TSI, Rapid TDI and my very own GT TSI. The Vento and Rapid have clocked close to 80k kms and I've done around 50k on the GT. We have taken very good care of them and all seem to be holding well so far. But there is no denying the fact that the DSG concerns are always at the back of your mind. Has the risk been worth it? Absolutely. I get to drive other automatics now and then, and almost all of them feel sluggish after living with a DSG.

So I think it eventually it boils down to what one's priority is. If reliability and peace of mind is paramount, I would walk away from the DCTs/DSGs. But if one is willing to overlook the reliability concerns, there is nothing better than the dual clutch transmissions in terms of outright performance.

I'm sure Hyundai/KIA have tested the DCT extensively for Indian conditions, but even then only long-term ownerships will show how they hold up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK. Oby View Post
Err...this might be a dumb question, but how are you supposed to do that? AFAIK there is no mechanism to shift on the Seltos- no paddle shifters, or anything of the sort.
Once in 'D', you can slot the gear to the right and it will go into a tiptronic manual mode. The '+' and '-' symbols you see on there are for the this mode.
REN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 18:56   #2947
BHPian

Quote:
You push the gear lever to the right, when in drive mode to engage manual mode. Then you simply move it up for upshift and down for downshift. This is generally known as Tiptronic.

Last edited by TG_F196 : 24th September 2019 at 19:02. Reason: Spelling Error.
TG_F196 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 20:01   #2948
BHPian

Quote:
Well you can manually change the gear, select D - push it to right and there you have + and - signs to go through the gears manually till 7
momsonlydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 10:11   #2949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Can someone post some pics of the engine bay especially the area where the suspension is mounted? The dealership car here in orange had awfully finished weld lines as if it was done in a hurry at a local weld shop. Want to know if its isolated car issue or just the way its meant to be.
Here are some pictures of the engine bay:
The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img_20190925_073540.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img_20190925_073607.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img_20190925_073615.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img_20190925_073648.jpg

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img_20190925_073624.jpg
binoyyj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 12:39   #2950
BHPian

Quote:

I was in the same dilemma. Had confirmed GTX DCT previously but then after 2 days of contemplation got me to thinking that if I don’t get the GTX+ DCT it won’t feel much of an upgrade from my current Eco. So I think you should see whether missing all these features would be an upgrade for you or not? For me personally missing out ventilated seats(which I always wanted), 360 camera with BVM(loved the BVM during TD), sunroof & powered seats would have meant not a big upgrade. The only downside for me was beige seats and that’s something I don’t like but I already have black seats in my Eco so convinced myself for the compromise thinking that it again will be something different for me
Old 25th September 2019, 13:18   #2951
BHPian

I have a question to all who are in Delhi/NCR.
Why go for Seltos Diesel right now when the trend seems to be shifting to Petrol's ? Everyone knows about the 10 year issue here, but maybe it does not bother many people?

I have even heard from the sales reps at the showroom's that the booking for Petrol variants is higher than Diesel by quite a margin and as such the deliveries for the Petrol's is actually faster. (again, this is as per the dealership)

But still, doesn't everyone feel that the trend for Petrol's is rising and that at the time of selling the Diesel, you may get a lower value as compared to the Petrol.

These are just my views and observations so please feel free to correct me if I wrong in any (or all) of the points above. Would love to hear the community's view on this topic.
Also, please add any additional thoughts and/or observations that you may have.

P.S. I have also booked the Seltos and in a bit of a conundrum as to which one to pick, the Diesel TC, or the Petrol DCT. My main running around will be in Delhi/NCR area. The sales rep has given me a delivery date around mid-October for the DCT and towards end October for the D TC (tentatively), so would like reach a consensus on this as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th September 2019, 14:01   #2952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TkyoPandaMan View Post
I have a question to all who are in Delhi/NCR.
Why go for Seltos Diesel right now when the trend seems to be shifting to Petrol's ?
I can speak from my understanding and also factors which are shaping my requirements. BHPians please correct me if I am wrong.

My requirement list in priority:
  1. I require a car which is automatic and frugal (as I have an average of 2000km pm).
  2. I also do not want a car which has a lot of maintenance issues as I will be most likely clocking to 1lakh km or more within my ownership and would thereafter want the car to have a decent resale value.
  3. Fun to Drive - has a decent punch for highway runs

Given the higher models are only available with the TGDi+DCT combination, my choice was only limited to this Petrol engine Vs the D-TC.

Reasons for choosing D-TC
  1. Mileage: I know you would agree that the D will have a better mileage (by at least 20-30%, which would not help achieve#1above (even with the marginally higher service cost, owing to 2000km, which would result in at least INR4-5k savings p.m.); but also help in #2 as a car with higher real-world mileage would definitely sell better.
  2. Power & Torque: If you were to drive both of these back to back, you would agree that both engines are quite spirited and the real-world usable acceleration 20-80 or 40-100kmph are very comparable. So same on#3, only downside with D is the TC's rubber band behaviour over the DCT, but if you know how to use the TC this will not bother you.
  3. Reliability & Maintenance: there has been enough posts and chatter on the net on the issues with a DCT, so D-AT will trump on #2. Also arguably the Diesel motor will usually have a longer life (in kms) than the Turbo-Petrol, which would mean a 1lakh+ km used Diesel car will not be unusual to find in the second-hand market over the Turbo-Petrol counterpart, which will further enhance D-TC's resale value (+1 on #2 again)
  4. Fun to drive 'Daily': The moment you start flooring the DCT you will loose out on mileage and reliability both big time, whereas the D-TC will not show much variation even with a heavy right foot, so in real world I will have more fun on the D-TC over the better tuned DCT. So #3 also with D-TC.
  5. NCR's 10yr Vs 15yr rule: I am quite certain I will not keep the car beyond 7-8 years at which point I would have clocked close to 1.5lakh kms, where the likely buyer is only going to be an outstation cabbie who will drive it for 2-3 years putting a couple of lakh kms more on the ODO before it is scrapped. I am pretty sure in NCR he would not be able to drive either P or D, as he would need CNG. So again this rule doesn't make any difference on resale as long as I am selling low-mileage cars within 3-4 years.

I hope this helps in your decision making. Do note that a lot of these points are specific to Seltos as there is no acquisition price difference between the two and also based on what we already know about the two motors and respective gearboxes. These points will also change depending on your usage and requirements from the car, so choose wisely! All the best!
AGwagon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 14:20   #2953
BHPian

My car is finally in transit

Just for the benefit of fellow BHPians - If you have made the booking online and want to cancel it now, you no longer have to run behind your dealer. It can now be done online.

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-cancellation-button.jpg

Last edited by dksv : 25th September 2019 at 14:25.
dksv is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th September 2019, 15:08   #2954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoyyj View Post
No wheel well cladding? shocking! Is it available in higher variants and if yes can it be retrofitted?
Old 25th September 2019, 16:32   #2955

Quote:
I was in the same boat before I made my call - yes, it's GTX+.

- 360 degree camera: It's better than the one present in MG Hector and gives you an all-around view, thus complementing the safety side. Is it a must have? I do not think so, because to detect blind spots, you have other means too!

- Bose sound system: How much one may have to shell out to install a good sound system in a car? Rs.50-60k, and for a brand, such as Bose, Rs.1 lac seems to be the minimum amount, no? So, for an extra Rs.30k, you will be getting other additional features! Is it not a steal? Is it a must have? Arguable as most long-drive enthusiasts find a good sound system a deal-breaker for it buys that comfort instantaneously without even asking you. Well, for me, it is a must have!

- Ventilated seats: Again it helps in long drives. The air blown into you from the seat also reaches chambers, elevating the comfort quotient. Is it a must have? Not really, but if it has a role in offering relaxation, why not?

- Sun roof: As it's not panoramic-based, you do not really feel the wow factor. Is it a must have? No, but some aficionados might want to have one.

To sum it up, spending an extra 1.3 lac of rupees on these features is a decent deal as it's chiefly you and your relatives are going to extract the best of these features. And it is a gentle way to pamper yourself!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks