Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2019, 15:06   #2071
BHPian

re: The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs

The pricing of NA 1.5 Engines (both Petrol & Diesel) are spot on INHO. It is just the 1.4 Turbo petrol engine and the GT trims that seem overpriced. Lets wait for the real world reviews (read T-bhp review) about the engine performance and see if it is worth the premium that Kia is asking.

Are the engines locally produced by Hyundai-Kia or they are importing them?
rish_arora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 15:10   #2072
Senior - BHPian

With this kind of pricing it is now 100% sure that MG Hector is going to be a runaway success. Hope MG will ramp up the production soon.

Cheers!
myavu is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 15:13   #2073
BHPian

The pricing seems as expected, this is one occasion when I am actually unable to quote something wrt whether one should buy the KIA or not. Probably the reason is largely due to the general inflated prices of cars these days. A product seems good until the reality (prices) hits the prospective buyer right on the face.

That being said, I was not very curious to know KIA prices since I somehow knew that the prices will be beyond reach of an average consumer looking to upgrade from a hatchback or previous car. A friend of mine graduated from Swift Vxi to Nexon XZA and I believe it is the only VFM Car in the market as of now although I don't like the stance of that vehicle.

Not so long ago, a good vehicle with decent kit used to be 10-11 L on road, nowadays it seems to be a distant dream. The only value proposition in such scenario seems to be keeping your old car till it quits on you.
NST440 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 15:17   #2074
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dksv View Post
This is my personal opinion, and I feel one of the reason why auto industry will continue to suffer more. Over the years every manufacturer has slowly and silently increased model pricing, making them move towards the next segment. All the cars in this segment (image) are at best 12 to 15 lakh On The Road price and honestly not worth a penny more. Just by adding gizmo and some marketing hype, industry think they will attract crowd, yes they would initially get booking, but in the long term, more and more people will move to pre-owned market which also is flooded with these new launches after a short period.

I had a brief drive of the petrol turbo DCT model, and I would rate it as Ecosport + better interiors + Space + lil gizmos and - (Minus) the solid feel of the ford. I would not pay 20-22 lakh for such a car. Rather look at a preowned next segment SUV at that price.
Jaggu is online now   (54) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 15:36   #2075
Distinguished - BHPian

I had a brief test drive of the diesel Seltos. The car felt solidly built but the doors felt light. Great road view from driver's seat, loaded with features, performance on par with creta, but braking and steering response was better in my opinion. Space was at a premium. Seat bolstering was good.

I somehow felt our 2012 Rapid more comfortable and accomodating. The surprise was the handling part. The car looks great though, specially in the grey shade in the pic below, it looked like a Kodiaq from a distance

Typically overpriced, just my opinion.

The Kia Seltos SUV (SP Concept). EDIT : Launched at Rs. 9.69 lakhs-img_20190822_145737391_hdr3.jpg

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 22nd August 2019 at 15:38.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 15:37   #2076
BHPian

Why would any non petrol-head, non metro customer choose Seltos over a Creta if prices are more for the bling factor alone? Maruti & Hyundai have huge brand value in the smaller Tier 3-6 cities and people would still stick to Creta. The hinterlands of India gives a hoot to this whole BS-VI engine and all; they just know to fill it; shut it and drive it.

Kia was clearly targeting the urban millennial generation with the Badass philosophy but what they probably didn't realise was that this urban millennial badass customer is non an idiot!! I'm keen to see if the "bling" factor alone will help KIA establish itself in this automobile downturn. I was very keen on buying one, but now with these prices and the responses am seeing on T-BHP (we are the badass customer they were targeting), I wonder what its future would be.
Krishnan83 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 15:38   #2077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Not correct. The Jeep Compass is BS6 ready, but not BS6 compliant. The difference is that the BS6 compliant engine (which Jeep currently offers only in the Trailhawk version )
Absolutely, I wrote that "Engine" is BS-6 compliant not full vehicle. its quite obvious that there is no point adding number of parts in a BS-4 sales environment.

Here is another Link where some company official had responded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
----------------xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx--------------------
Dear Shreeji ,

Thank you for showing interest in MG Hector.
I would like to inform you that at present Emission norms in India is BS-IV and BS-VI Emission norms implementation in India is mandated by Govt from 1st April 2020.
Our engines hardware are ready with minor changes to meet vehicle level BS-VI emissions norms.
Various exhaust gas after-treatment parts (also hardware ready) are added along with engine in vehicle.
Vehicles are under testing and will be certified as per processes mandated by Govt. to be declared compliant to BSVI emissions norms.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with.
Best Regards,
Jim Thomas
MG Motor India
----------------xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx--------------------

Last edited by anu21v : 22nd August 2019 at 15:58.
Old 22nd August 2019, 15:45   #2078
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Hearing from a source in Mumbai that the official launch date will be August 22nd, 2019, and that the Seltos range might be offered with an introductory starting price of Rs 9.69 lakhs, ex-showroom.
Posted on 14th July. My birdie got it spot-on almost 6 weeks back!

I believe this is excellent pricing to start Kia's initial fight against the well-settled brands with a bang. All they need to do now is meet the demands of the pre-bookers ASAP and they have a huge hit in their hands.
RavenAvi is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 15:46   #2079
BHPian

I think pricing is spot-on if we are fine with Creta price. Delta over creta is justified by the kit on offer.

One thing worth noting is the petrol to diesel price gap which is still in the traditional 1 lakh range, even though both engines are BS-VI compliant. This is a very strong message for Maruti which made us believe that this difference will expand to almost 2lacs upon BS-VI intro. Was Maruti taking everyone for a ride or they are grossly misinformed and unaware. None of the scenario is good for them.
tarik.arora is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 15:46   #2080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I would like to wait for the official brochure to check on the variants and specs but i was expecting a higher price.

I dont think you are paying for the vehicle here but for the Gizmos that comes with it, the DCT is overpriced and will cross 20lakhs on-road, at this price would prefer looking at other options with AT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
Any word on the official feature's list? When are they going to release the same? Will put a lot of speculation to rest.
As mentioned in my previous post that i have received the official KIA brochure from the dealer thru WhatsApp. Its the same that leaked few days back and is uploaded in this thread.
sidenzo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 15:49   #2081
Distinguished - BHPian

Kia announces and clarifies:

- 32,035 bookings on hand
- 5000 units already built
- Production capacity per month is higher though.
- Ramping up production per month as it starts second shift operations

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd August 2019 at 15:56.
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 15:50   #2082
BHPian

Seriously, what did we expect? The same car as Creta, with added gizmos and features to undercut the Creta?

Hyundai would shoot itself in the foot if they did that. IMHO, this is the best pricing they could work with.

Also, as has been stated numerous times previously the % of the amount going to taxes in case of car sales is very high and partly responsible for OTR price. Having said that, launching a car at a cheaper price never helps in India (Nano?), we all feel and think that a car which is higher priced is always better. This is also true in the case of education.

I hope Seltos gives Kia a good foothold in India and that we see diverse products coming into the Indian market from them.

Hector and Seltos are different products with different USP's so there would be a very small overlap.
Mr.Beat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 15:52   #2083
BHPian

Sharing the NDTV review of Seltos:-

Siddharth Patankar is all gaga over the Seltos' premium material quality and segment first features.
nsbhagwat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 15:58   #2084
Senior - BHPian

These pricing reminds me of the times when Maruti launched the 1.6 S-Cross. Any NBFCs giving loans with "Easy non-repayment" options?

Btw, HTE V/s HTK : Difference in G1.5 is ₹30k & in D1.5 it is ₹120k. I didn't understand why this stark pricing differential when the feature additions would be same. Or am I missing something?

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 22nd August 2019 at 16:05.
GrammarNazi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 15:59   #2085
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I somehow felt our 2012 Rapid more comfortable and accomodating. The surprise was the handling part. The car looks great though, specially in the grey shade in the pic below, it looked like a Kodiaq from a distance
Man how tall are you? Or how short is that car! It looks like a hatchback on stilts (like i20Active, Etios/Polo Cross, ford Freestyle) besides you! I thought it looked sufficiently tall so far.

Share your picture with KIA. They'll pay any amount you ask to delete this picture from all public forums and social media.
Reinhard is offline   (12) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks