Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2019, 14:32   #3106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Instead of Tata logo having text logo on the front grill makes this vehicle look so bullish. Found this rendition online (credit due to rightful owner).
The problem with the text logo is that it would resemble all those 407s and bigger UVs from Tata commercial range trucks.
Name:  tata709lighttruckfrontside.png
Views: 5117
Size:  60.3 KB

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-images-1.jpeg

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 31st January 2019 at 14:35.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 14:41   #3107
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: First impressions

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support: Do NOT TROLL on Team-BHP and do NOT make baseless allegations against senior members.

Last edited by GTO : 1st February 2019 at 08:05.
PrasannaDhana is offline   Received Infraction
Old 31st January 2019, 14:45   #3108
BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
Went to Hartron Gurgaon showroom to see the Tata Harrier today. Car looks amazing in flesh but the showroom experience was terrible ! Firstly no one could find the key for the Harrier so we were waiting for 20 minutes to get in. When they finally got it we experienced the interior which was overwhelmingly good considering the segment. We spent a good 30-40 minutes in the showroom - and NO ONE approached us to show even the basic features of the car. If I'm spending 17 big ones , I expect to be treated better ! Not done TATA
I had a similar experience at KHT Motors, Brookefields.

I got a call from KHT motors last friday, to come down to the showroom, on Saturday or Sunday for a TD.

I was expecting they would get the car to my place for a TD. I understand its a newly launched vehicle and there is going to be huge demand for TD, so it wont be possible to get it to my place.

So with lots of excitement, I go to the showroom last Sunday. Showroom was bustling with customers, the whole place was crowded, I was told I will have to wait for 1 hour for the TD.

TATA,At least treat the ones who have done the booking better. TATA Are you listening?

I have decided to cancel my booking. I have a Tata Safari, that I have owned for the last 12 Years. I need more focus, if you want me to spend 17 lakhs else I will go elsewhere, there are lot more new options in the market.

Vehicle looks really good in the flesh. I am very impressed by the first look, even then the experience has left a bad taste in the mouth.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st February 2019 at 00:29. Reason: Spacing
ajithvpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 14:56   #3109
Distinguished - BHPian

I also feel that people are being overly critical and skeptic about the Harrier sometimes! The Harrier is truly trying to change the value proposition available to end customers in the 13-17 lacs segments and what they have produced is 90% there. The rest 9% will take them another 6 months to reach 99% and they will get there with gradual improvements. The balance 1% will be impossible and not worth the effort going after! (not even a Merc or Audi will be 100%!)

Having started my career with Tata as an engineer (20 years back- and that too a short stint of 1year) when I see the Harrier now, I can say confidently that they have come a really long way in the manufacturing quality. Compared to the Indica and Safari the Harrier is world's apart.

It seems that in the rush to get this car out to market, they produced some Trial production cars for the Media drives and initial test drives that did have Alignment issues in Panels.
The panel gaps are not anything to be really alarmed about as they will fix all of them before they start delivering cars to customers!

Let us not forget that Tata actually used to make even Mercedes cars in the Pimpri factory as a Tata-Mercedes JV (1994-2001) when Mercedes entered India at the same Pimpri factory ( I have seen the factory myself). Also Tata had also achieved Global excellence in Excavators in the Tata- Hitachi JV. So Tata is fully capable of manufacturing cars to Global standards and hopefully to global JLR standards also in India! Even Tata Trucks were a Daimler -Tata JV from 1954- onwards. Till 2013 Mercedes also used the Tata paint shop for their car painting!

I do hope that Tata does iron out these issues soon as the 20L customer is extremely demanding and would demand a consistent product as well as service experience.
After seeing the Harrier in flesh, I do believe that it will sell 3k-4k units every month. Adding a seven seater and also an auto box will add another 1.5 k units to the sales. In the long run, this car should be a success for Tata if they fix the initial niggles and also deliver a differentiated service experience. Possibly they should also have their own version of "Nexa" experience for a better sales and service experience for customers (Incidentally they were the first to try this in India with Concorde Motors, which was to be their series of premium dealerships, a long time back).

I am proud that a company like Tata has made the Harrier as it is a class leading design and this car can stand its ground next to a Fortuner or a Kodiaq and still impress anyone who sees it! In my heart, I do wish Tata great success.

(PS though I have been a Tata motors employee 20 years back, I am not associated with them now in any way and my opinion is my personal views only! Anyone interested in reading a bit on the history part can read this:
https://www.dynamiclevels.com/en/tat...ompany-history )

Last edited by GTO : 1st February 2019 at 08:10. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Behemoth is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 15:04   #3110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
The problem with the text logo is that it would resemble all those 407s and bigger UVs from Tata commercial range trucks.
+1

I agree with your thoughts!

All image related problems can be resolved by the TAMO logo.

IMHO, Tata should use it definitely. They have outperformed themselves.

Image source: Google
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-1548927185567.jpg  

Last edited by RedStallion : 31st January 2019 at 15:07.
RedStallion is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 15:11   #3111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Good one Steeroid and I also feel that people are being overly critical and skeptic about the Harrier sometimes!
I was actually looking at it as a possible replacement for the Yeti. 7 years ago I paid similar money for that vehicle, and whilst this doesn’t come with the AWD, it it much more spacious and comfortable. Similar sort of classy and uncluttered interior layout as well.

What I realised though in a very brief drive is that while the VW engine was free-revving and a bit of a chore in traffic, this one has all its meat low down and it requires a different style of driving. The mileage warriors that make up 99% of most people on the road (I.e., in overdrive at 40 kmph, turbo not disturbed for the lifetime of the vehicle) will probably feel naturally at home in this. They’re not going to be revving the nuts off this engine or any other. In many ways it reminds me of the Elantras 2.0.
Steeroid is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 15:20   #3112
BHPian

More of.. TataHARRIER- Orcus White

*source: Youtube (zubinmathew)
Attached Thumbnails
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-white1.jpg  

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-white3.jpg  

kalleo4 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 16:22   #3113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Most probably a photoshoped picture and the graphic designer doesn't know the significance of the number.
Edit: Look at the speedo, doing 80 kmph while taking a studio quality photo
This is a pic of a moving car. The GPS is also showing the location, and indicating a turn off 500M away.

2.5 Lakh km in a test mule is possible. I dont know what route the tata test mules take, but M&M ones do Nashik, Pune Bangalore to Chennai 1380km in a 24 hr period and return after a 12 Hr halt with a different crew. They have 8 or 9 such round trips in a month, getting it to 25000km.

So a test mule doing 3 lakhs in an year is not just possible, but necessary if you want to sell a reliable car on the road.

In Tata's first attempt the Aria was not tested enough, and later 70 cars were given to a known Taxi operator who operates Pune Mumbai service at a discount, with some of these cars doing upto 40 trips a month, and with regular inspection by engineers periodically a trouble free Hexa was developed. As my family uses this operator for Mumbai airport drops and pickups, I saw many of the cars with odometer exceeding 5 Lakh km in the end of their third year.

Rahul

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st February 2019 at 00:32. Reason: Spacing
Rahul Rao is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 17:07   #3114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
This is a pic of a moving car. The GPS is also showing the location, and indicating a turn off 500M away.
2.5 Lakh km in a test mule is possible.
2.5 lakh is possible but to take a photo which goes in to brochures, they would choose a new car which doesn't have any trace of use/scratches. Also it is a very common to touch up such photos.
Guna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 17:12   #3115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
2.5 Lakh km in a test mule is possible.
Rahul
This is clearly photo-shopped. In the picture below which is obtained from Harrier's official website (https://harrier.tatamotors.com/features/performance), the picture shows exactly the same mileage reading but without the navigation feature
Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-dash.jpg
beast_within is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 17:27   #3116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Most probably a photoshoped picture and the graphic designer doesn't know the significance of the number.
Edit: Look at the speedo, doing 80 kmph while taking a studio quality photo
Making it a bit more interesting, in City mode at 2000 RPM doing 80, in what appears to be 4th gear considering the shift indicator showing an upshift to 5th.

If you can do 80 in 4th at 2000 RPM and be asked to shift up wouldn't that drop the RPM too low for 5th?
Old 31st January 2019, 17:49   #3117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Instead of Tata logo having text logo on the front grill makes this vehicle look so bullish. Found this rendition online (credit due to rightful owner).
This is from SRK's offroad version design of the Harrier. Love his designs as always! See the youtube video for the transformation of the stock Harrier to the offroad beast!

Last edited by Behemoth : 31st January 2019 at 17:54.
Behemoth is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 18:05   #3118
BHPian

Let me jump into this supposed quality issues of the Harrier with my two cents. I have not seen the car in person and my post is based on the observations, arguments and counter-arguments that's been going on in last few pages.

1) I am not into nitpicking and would label these more as quality check misses rather than issues. These wouldn't be visible to or bother most regular car buyers.
2) If these misses are spotted by a normal Team BHPian, then I shudder to think of what will be discovered by our experienced reviewers!
3) These quality misses might be present in other cars as well from other manufacturers. But those manufacturers might be having better brand recognition, better sales and service experience and better reliability which lets people turn a blind eye to these quality misses. Does Tata motors have that kind of brand recognition, trust and desirability among the general public? Will the regular car buyer still buy a ₹20lakh Tata car after seeing these niggles? I don't know, depends on the particular buyer really!
4) These misses are highlighted only for Harrier while Hexa and Nexon are praised. Doesn't feel anything against Tata to me. More like product specific.
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 18:09   #3119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmenon View Post
Making it a bit more interesting, in City mode at 2000 RPM doing 80, in what appears to be 4th gear considering the shift indicator showing an upshift to 5th.

If you can do 80 in 4th at 2000 RPM and be asked to shift up wouldn't that drop the RPM too low for 5th?
In most TATAs, it asks you to upshift/downshift by means of displaying arrows. However, the number displayed doesn't change and shows in which gear you are in.

So in that pic, the Harrier is doing 80 in 5th gear.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 31st January 2019 at 18:54. Reason: Spacing
abhi7013 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 18:23   #3120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
The problem with the text logo is
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStallion View Post
+1
It's not a new phenomenon, commercial and passenger vehicles do share logos without image issues.

Mercedes Benz, Renault and Volvo are some examples I can quote.

Last edited by Thilak29 : 31st January 2019 at 18:26.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks