Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2019, 16:24   #3241
Senior - BHPian

Creta and Compass are far better alternatives

I usually wouldn't comment, but drove a brand new Tata Harrier with around 200km on the Odometer (it was neither a media car nor a so-call "pre-production" car that's all over this forum), and all I can say is, this car has been made in a hurry and lacks finesse. The reason I'm saying this is that in the car that I drove, the electronics malfunctioned; the engine clatter was too loud and sounded really unrefined for a Rs 19 lakh car; fit-finish was just as bad as any Tata from the early 2000s, with stuff breaking off; tactility of the switches and stalks is nowhere as nice as in the Creta or Compass; the blind spot caused due to the ORVMs is huge and is a real safety hazard; lastly, I'm not a fan of its looks either (but that's subjective).

The Harrier does have its strengths like superb cabin space, a practical boot, and at least aesthetically, the interiors look very upmarket. For someone looking at this car, I'd suggest, wait for a few months (at least 6) and let Tata take care of all the issues, before spending Rs 19 lakh for this one. As of today, the Hyundai Creta or the Jeep Compass are FAAAAAR superior cars and this Tata still lacks their finesse and quality.

Last edited by S2!!! : 10th February 2019 at 16:30.
S2!!! is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 10th February 2019, 17:30   #3242
BHPian

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Samba,

You are making waves in the automotive scene... Cartoq has just quoted you

https://www.cartoq.com/tata-harrier-renault-duster/amp/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Drove the Harrier today.

Bhpain Arindamxeta & I did the test drive together.
sayakc is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2019, 19:29   #3243
BHPian

White Harrier with black roof

ATRONIX is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 10th February 2019, 19:52   #3244
BHPian

Re: Creta and Compass are far better alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
I usually wouldn't comment, but drove a brand new Tata Harrier with around 200km on the Odometer (it was neither a media car nor a so-call "pre-production" car that's all over this forum), and all I can say is, this car has been made in a hurry and lacks finesse.
Appreciate you making the exception!

But I feel there's something REALLY funny going on with Tata's production line if this was indeed not a pre-production car (will take your word for it).

My assessment of the Endeavour greatly matches yours in the official review you've posted - if anything, I have always found the Endeavour a little less premium than described in the official review.

So I am forced to conclude that we drove two very different cars.

Either that, or I can't trust my senses anymore. Checked out the Alturas a little bit today - I think my senses are still properly calibrated (had a trusted and experienced person to compare notes with today, other than views posted here). Also, my assessment of the Harrier matches ACM's too (much like other overlapping products where I've had the pleasure of his views).

Something is amiss...

P.S. - Agree wholeheartedly with you about the noise though.

Edit: I certainly hope the Team BHP review car is the "right" one then - given the sensibly obvious policy of speaking only and only based on the provided car, I hope Tata do not do themselves the monumental disservice of providing the "wrong" car. Assuming there is right and wrong. If there's no such thing as pre-production and/or there is great variance in "final" examples, then they deserve all the mixed reviews they get.

P.P.S. - My head hurts obsessing over this seemingly unfathomable mystery.

Last edited by Mu009 : 10th February 2019 at 20:06. Reason: Explained above.
Mu009 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th February 2019, 20:42   #3245

Your observation is rather extreme. But to each his own. There is absolutely no comparison between Creta and Harrier in any sense! Compass though better put together, is low on space, has an ordinary design (internal) and lacks basic features up to the Longitude(O) variant.

I test drove the Harrier too and this was among the many cars I've driven in the last few months, on the look out for a new car. My sense of comparison is fairly sharp at this stage. I personally like the vehicle's looks, engine, space, ride comfort et al. The driver ORVM did cause a bit of concern (read blind spot), but I think I can get over it with time. The car was fully loaded i.e. 5 adults with the AC on and I felt the power was more than adequate. At low speeds, it rides a tad better than the Jeep Compass. Is it better than the Jeep Compass? Yes, in many ways and has enough to swing things in its favour. And Creta? Well a better VFM product one one wouldn't mind paying a bit extra to get an SUV that is one level up in every sense. For me, the Harrier gets a big thumbs up! Yes, I am aware if its shortcomings, all of them and am willing to live with them!!

Last edited by Aditya : 11th February 2019 at 08:18. Reason: Back to back posts merged, grammar
nighthawk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th February 2019, 21:56   #3246
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs

Took a short city test drive of the TATA Harrier today. So much has already been said about the production and pre-production models and fit, finish issues - that I'm not going down that path, at all. Both the display and TD cars were the suspected orange ones though!

Tata H5X Concept @ Auto Expo 2018. Named Tata Harrier! EDIT: Launched @ Rs. 12.69 lakhs-img_20190210_1400182.jpg

Below are my likes and dislikes - in no particular order.

Likes -

1. Great road presence. Feels the size and looks bigger than even the Hexa IMO, thanks to the bulging design elements. Proper view of a flat bonnet. SUV'ish feel that most Indians will really like.
2. Very tastefully done interiors, except the handbrake and steering wheel as many have already pointed out. If the Nexon was a step ahead, this takes another huge leap forward.
3. Easy to drive, despite the size. Light steering, negligible turbo lag, extremely light clutch etc. Masks it's size well inside the city.
4. Without comparing too much with other cars, I feel the quality and build is good and acceptable. Didn't feel Compass good in build, but the interior plastics and design makes up for it.
5. Needless to say for a car of this size, very spacious, including the boot!

Dislikes -

1. Design. Overdone, though the front end is much better in person than in pics. Rear 3/4th is still too radical, and the full rear view is ugly for my taste. Size is a half size larger than what city dwellers would like as well.
2. Messed up ergonomics. Finding the seating position took some time, but that's fine with me since its a one-time affair and the final position felt fine to me comfort-wise, but even at the best position I could find, the footwell was messed up. My Woodland shoes was getting obstructed while releasing the foot off the clutch. Need to take off the shoes before driving, I guess.
3. ORVMs, as almost everyone mentioned. This was a shocker and one size bigger than I expected, even after going with all these comments in mind.
4. Lower variants treated very oddly. Seriously - Limiting colours for base variants, TATA? Before anyone asks - The top variants are out of my budget anyways - I was interested in the XE and XM only. XE gets only one colour and doesn't even get a basic music system, and I am not sure how anyone can install a music system on that thin dock. SA had no clue either. Any thoughts?
5. Notchy gearshifts, even had a rough sound to it while slotting gears - though effort required is less and the gates seem well defined.

Other points -

1. Engine noise is one major complaint everyone has. Well, for the city I found it ok, even though its no Creta or Compass. There is ample torque on offer, so never needed to rev the engine enough for the noise to become an issue.
2. Suspension was a bit on the stiffer side at city speeds. But not sure if the dealer has kept the PSI right on all wheels. Either ways, not a deal breaker.
3. Music system was well below my expectations (Of a JBL system - though decent as an OE systems). But I suspect this could be due to poor choice of music at the dealer, or poor tuning (I did try resetting the equalizer). The lower variants without the JBL system and sub-woofer could only be worse. Surprisingly - I remember that the Hexa sounded much better. Need to give this another shot later.

Will be taking a proper detailed test drive later - this was just to get an initial feel of the vehicle.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th February 2019 at 21:59.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 10th February 2019, 23:42   #3247
Team-BHP Support

Just had a quick look at the price list and looks like a couple of inflated charges -

1. Insurance for XM variant is 84.5k for comprehensive. Did a quick search and got a qoute of 38.6k for comprehensive and an additional 3.5k for zero dep.

Dealer qoute is 45k more? Woah!

2. Logistics charges of 9500/-

3. Basic accessories worth 8.5k, which seems mandatory. Is this worth? Didn't check for details of this frankly - will do so during / if i make a next visit.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2019, 23:56   #3248
Team-BHP Support

Forgot to mention one point about the Harrier in the previous post. I was using the rough road mode and wanted to switch off ESP. But as soon as I did that, it went back to city mode. It does not take any other mode with ESP switched off. Can someone enlighten the reason behind it? One more point is that when I was switching the ESP off, it showed up on the screen, but when I switched it on it did not give any confirmation.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 00:47   #3249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
The Only 2 SUV's with 2.0 MJD on sale in India
Attachment 1844398
https://www.cartoq.com/tata-harrier-...ence-compared/
Well, both the cars do look stunning! I loved the alloys on the Compass which seem like aftermarket and Harrier looks unique with its face Tata has done a neat job with this car.

Last edited by SDP : 11th February 2019 at 09:09. Reason: Grammar
Old 11th February 2019, 08:30   #3250
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
One more point is that when I was switching the ESP off, it showed up on the screen, but when I switched it on it did not give any confirmation.
Basically ESP is on by default right?. A default feature need not be shown as enabled when it is on, but when you make it off it should let the user know it is off. Examples could be ‘no low battery icon meaning battery is fine’, ‘no low engine oil icon meaning engine oil level is fine’ etc. There is a catch though, if the ESP OFF shown in the screen is getting vanished in sometime then it would have been good to show the ESP ON icon, but if ESP OFF stays on till ESP is made ON then it is a thoughtful design (reasons being the above examples).
pavi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 09:35   #3251
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Wow, now this is clearly some enthusiasm for the car!

Thanks to a Team-BHP Fan (who prefers to stay anonymous) for sending this video in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
Hi Team,

An interesting & lively incident happened at Marudhara Motors, Jodhpur.

Today, the Tata Harrier test drive vehicle reached the dealership. After seeing it, one “Young” CA (only 73 years old) Mr. Sethi was so happy that he started dancing outside the showroom.

Kudos to Sethiji for his spirit

Last edited by GTO : 11th February 2019 at 10:48.
GTO is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 10:03   #3252
Distinguished - BHPian

Any videos of Mr Sethi ' After the Test Drive ? '
karan561 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 10:09   #3253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Forgot to mention one point about the Harrier in the previous post. I was using the rough road mode and wanted to switch off ESP. But as soon as I did that, it went back to city mode. It does not take any other mode with ESP switched off. Can someone enlighten the reason behind it? One more point is that when I was switching the ESP off, it showed up on the screen, but when I switched it on it did not give any confirmation.
I think the 'Rough road' mode necessarily involves the ESP (and perhaps TC)? But even if that is the case, the implementation seems to be bit confusing for the user (ideally the 'ESP' control should not be operational when the car is on rough road mode)
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 10:13   #3254
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
1. Insurance for XM variant is 84.5k for comprehensive. Did a quick search and got a qoute of 38.6k for comprehensive and an additional 3.5k for zero dep.

Dealer qoute is 45k more? Woah!
CD, new cars now come with 3 years of insurance, at least on 3rd party. Need to check the details of this quote of 84.5k
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 10:46   #3255
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
CD, new cars now come with 3 years of insurance, at least on 3rd party. Need to check the details of this quote of 84.5k
Thank you. Already considered that aspect. The 38.6k qoute I mentioned is for a bundled policy with one year comprehensive and three years of third party insurance. (From United India Insurance)

Need to also question the handling and logistics charges of 9.5k. For comparison - Hyundai qoute has 3k as handling charges for the Creta, TATA motors needs 3 times the amount?

Anyways - Will get a proper breakup from them during the next visit. One thing is for sure - dealers are trying to make hay while the sun shines!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks