Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2019, 08:00   #121
BHPian

re: Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh

I have never seen such a lackluster effort ever in my life! After this, I really have to credit Renault-Nissan for distinguishing their vehicles so well. I mean, the Duster was a brute and the Terrano was that brute wearing a suit!

These gimmicks, sadly, will work in a country like India and I am sure people will be flocking by the dozens to buy the "new" Toyota hatchback! The Glanza will command a premium over the Baleno imo but will it offer anything more than the Baleno remains to be seen.

I really hope that this JV introduces exciting platforms and technologies in India in the future. But for now, two of the biggest names in the automotive industry and this is what they come up with. Sad.
Porschefire is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 08:08   #122
BHPian

Well, let me put it this way. I have seen my son put

in more effort in to his kindergarten homework. I won't be surprised if Baleno - Glanza become butt of jokes in the days to come.
octane_100 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 08:08   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

A global level deal between Suzuki and Toyota will need local subsidiaries of each, to work in tandem. But that seems not to be happening, as reported by The Hindu Business Line.

The newspaper report claims that both, Maruti Suzuki India, as well as Toyota India want to claim sales of Glanza, which is a rebadged Maruti Baleno. The interesting part is, the car is manufactured by Suzuki Motor India, at their plant in Gujarat. This plant is not under Maruti Suzuki India.

Suzuki Motor India is independent of Maruti Suzuki as well as Toyota Kirloskar Motor. Suzuki Motor manufactures the Baleno, and sells it to Maruti, which is then dispatched to Maruti dealers across India. In the case of Glanza, Suzuki will manufacture the Glanza and will dispatch it to Toyota dealers across India.

Logically, one would assume that sales of Glanza will be considered as that of Toyota India sales. But Maruti does not agree. As per the report in HBL, Maruti Suzuki Chairman has said, “We will show the cars sold to Toyota as a wholesale number and will report that accordingly in our monthly sales.” He said that till the time reporting of numbers to SIAM is in wholesale numbers, we will report the number of cars supplied to TKM as Maruti’s wholesale number.”

In response Toyota India said, “Maruti cannot count the Glanza sales as wholesale numbers because we will do that. It will be billed to dealers and then to the customers. We will report them as wholesale numbers every month.”

Industry body, SIAM said, “We (SIAM) will make sure double counting does not happen between Maruti Suzuki India and TKM when they sell their cross-badged cars.” But it is more or less clear on whose side they are on. “Toyota cannot report the wholesale number of a car that Maruti Suzuki has sold to them and reported as the wholesale number,” added SIAM.
Source: https://www.rushlane.com/maruti-toyo...-12306977.html

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 30th April 2019 at 08:11.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 08:18   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

I couldn't fathom why this flimsy car is sold in 'supposedly' premium NEXA dealerships and now it's going to be in Toyota showrooms as well.

Man, Liva/Etios seems to be Toyota's better attempt now. lol.
kiku007 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 08:36   #125
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARAN.CARGURU View Post
Received the same final picture from a Dealer's Stockyard V Variant of Toyota GLANZA
So basically they added chrome over the lowest variant grille and rebadge engineering completed. I would like to work for Toyota now in the rebadging project, where should I upload my resume Toyota?? I have been working in software industry, hence I am well versed with copy-paste which is I think the most preferred skill you would be requiring
pavi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 08:45   #126
BHPian

Guys, please cool down! We are pissed because we were expecting badge-engineering but Toyota seems to have taken engineering out of that

What a pathetic effort (if any) from Toyota. I wish they have done some changes in the interiors (apart from the logo on the steering wheel).

This car is not the joke but if Toyota is able to sell even 500 units of this, the joke will be on us!
tarik.arora is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 09:31   #127
BHPian

This is such a lackluster of an effort. I wonder what is Toyota bringing to the table for the customer. Just a better warranty won't work. There was so much of an opportunity here. They could have made changes to the front bumper as seen in some of the earlier photos in this thread.

I wonder what they were smoking... or maybe we already know

Last edited by naikameya : 30th April 2019 at 09:33.
Old 30th April 2019, 09:58   #128
Senior - BHPian

I dont understand why a customer will pay premium for this just for a Toyota Badging. The Toyota Designers seem to have to put more effort in this makeover than the Guy who designed the Japanese Flag .
Old 30th April 2019, 10:42   #129
Senior - BHPian

If I asked an ambitious mechanic at an FNG to convert a Baleno to a Toyota, he'd done a better job. And we were trashing Renault-Nissan for badge engineering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
Guys, please cool down! We are pissed ...
Nobody is pissed, they WILL be if Toyota hikes the prices like crazy.
Old 30th April 2019, 10:45   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
This is worse than the render from yesterday! lol. Let's just add more chrome on the front grill and sell them. That will give us premium image and we can charge more for the T badge as well.

I mean this is Toyota. The second largest car maker in the world and this is what they could come up with?

I can go down to the basement carpark with my spare Toyota badges from my Corolla an convert my neighbours Baleno to a Glanza in a few mins!

Jeez Toyota atleast you could have put some effort into the car that is wearing your company badge. This is so lame and half hearted. Actually half hearted might be better.
And they took months together to replace couple of badges. Is Toyota planning to sell these through Toyota dealers or are they putting some tents outside Nexa showroom and run badge conversion camps?
PrideRed is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 10:49   #131
BHPian

I see a potential opportunity for used car dealers/body shoppers. After the Glanza launch, they will pick a Suzuki Baleno, Slap Toyota badge and sell as Glanza - Customers will also be happy as Toyota holds a better brand value.
This is just not limited to dealers, individuals who wants a Toyota from a Suzuki for INR 1000 can also do this (Pun intended)
Superleggera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 11:15   #132
BHPian

Toyota Glanza (rebadged Maruti Baleno). EDIT: Launched @ Rs 7.22 lakh-3.jpg

Is the thing encircled in red a centre headrest? If so, can we expect a 3 point seatbelt for the 5th passenger too as with all Toyota India cars currently sold? That alone would make it a better buy over Baleno. The copy-paste job remains a big disappointment nonetheless.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 11:17   #133
BHPian

Want to understand, Is it only the re-badge, or any change in sheet metal (read thickness) or Safety related changes.

If there are nothing like that, Then I feel buying the Etios Liva will be the good buy from Toyota stable, rather than T-Baleno considering the safety aspects.

Will be in market to change my Wife's wagonR in another couple of months.
double is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 11:21   #134

The render didn't make sense because it would have led to sheet metal changes (even if trivial)

The turnaround time for the launch suggests a very short term approach which is bound to fail if there is no significant value add (Additional warranty etc) for customers.

We have to keep in mind that premium hatch customers are price sensitive (unlike an Innova fan) which is why a good product like Jazz could find only a lukewarm response.
Old 30th April 2019, 11:22   #135
Senior - BHPian

I see it a bit differently.

The Baleno to begin with is a good looking car. Why would Toyota mess around with a product that consistently sells 12-15K+ units/month? Whatever MS has done with the Baleno is helping them rack in profits! Toyota just badge-engineers it and adds to the numbers. And the Glanza is a better looking Toyota than the Etios/Liva, which could be phased out now.

It's a win-win game for both!

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 30th April 2019 at 11:24.

Most Viewed