Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2021, 14:30   #496
BHPian

Re: Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
As a manufacturer they have every right to sell to most profitable market but morally, given the high share of business in India, they should have launched this in India too, higher costs notwithstanding.

If Thar can be sold at 15 Lac and command a waiting of 6 month plus, am sure, Jimny could have buyers for 10-20 pieces a month at 20 lacs.
To be honest 20 lakh seems a bit high, considering the plasticky and low end appearance of the vehicle. I personally would pick a Thar over the Jimny any day.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 15:25   #497
BHPian

It is such good thing to know that cars made in our country are going places. However, off late I have started to hate Maruti Suzuki for considering the Indian market as a cash cow.

Compared to almost all of its direct competitors and even some new players in the market, Maruti is seriously lacking innovation with heaps of junk they have in the current market for sale. The only reason anyone would buy a Maruti now is to enjoy trouble free ownership with outdated technology.

I don't really know why a car like the Jimny wouldn't sell in India when they can see right under their noses the amount of innovation a company like Mahindra has brought into the Thar.

Maruti should seriously think about getting their feet wet into niche customer bases with proper marketing, unlike failed experiments like the Baleno sedan, Kizashi, Baleno RS to name a few. Seriously the Jimny being manufactured here and not sold here is ignorance at the highest order for a company that has a ton of goodwill unlike any other in India.
ron_9191 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 15:53   #498
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,
We need to understand the Jimny already has a wait list of many months & in some countries the wait is into 1+ years. With a new manufacturing line now in India those back orders need to be catered first & that's why i think Maruti is not really in a rush to launch the Jimny here immediately. Once the production is streamlined & those back orders / waiting in other countries are reduced Maruti Suzuki will launch the 3 door variant here as well. In the meantime 5 door YWD is being developed which is all good, BUT Maruti Suzuki India should launch the 3 door variant as well to do justice to the previous on Sale Gypsy/Jimny.
Regards !
karan561 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 15:59   #499
Senior - BHPian

As much as I like Maruti for truly VFM cars they sell in India (unlike greedily priced Hyundais/Hondas), I detest them for treating their number one market in the world with disdain. Even Pakistan got Jimny as far back as 2019. Now when Mahindra brought in new Thar, they jumped right in. As though Thar or Jimny segment were a volume segment. It is not. Meanwhile, the super-volume segment of Creta/Seltos is completely left to Koreans. When will Maruti jump into this super-volume segment? Creta has been selling since 2016 and Maruti is still sleeping.

Coming to Jimny, I don't think it would make any dent in new Thar sales. Jimny would be petrol-only. A brick-like aerodynamic SUV with petrol engine and archaic 4-speed AT would be a D.O.A. Also, next to Thar it looks like a toy SUV. It may be as capable or even more than Thar for off-road duty but butch muscular looks are more important in Indian context as most of the new Thars are driven around town and do inter-city runs with very mild off-roading. This is where Thar completely eclipses Jimny.
pgsagar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 16:01   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Just curious, why don't manufacturers allow domestic purchase of vehicles made for export?
Apart from few reasons listed after your post, Export market vehicles could be prepared in the manufacturer's SEZ unit/plant/division ( Special Eco. Zone), where input material is imported duty free or local purchases made GST exempted. So for the ease of keeping both transactions separate, Domestic Manufacturing and Export Manufacturing is bifurcated. Ofcourse, SEZ's can do a Domestic Tariff Area sale by paying foregone duty, etc etc.

Last edited by riteshritesh : 20th January 2021 at 16:03.
riteshritesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 16:33   #501
Senior - BHPian

Picture of 1st Jimny rollout from the plant for export market

Maruti to finally bring Jimny to India?-20210120024525_maruti_suzuki_jimy_plant.jpg

Quote:
Maruti Suzuki is readying a five-door version of the Jimny for India. And while this version will be longer than the export model, it will still duck under the four-metre mark. However, as it will also be powered by the 1.5-litre petrol engine – found in a bevy of Maruti models like the Vitara Brezza compact SUV, Ciaz sedan, Ertiga MPV and S-Cross crossover – it will not qualify for tax sops for small cars in India.
Source
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 17:42   #502
Team-BHP Support

These images just adds salt to my wounds :((

But seriously how many would they be able to sell? A tiny 3 door life style vehicle how much would one pay for? Even if they sell how much duration will the sales stay? As a potential buyer I would pay at best 12 Lakhs On the road price, minus the taxes vehicle would have to be priced at 8.5 ish lakhs? So instead look at exports and cater to the pending demand. Cunning this Suzuki lol.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 00:25   #503
BHPian

To all those innocent souls who drool over the Thar and believe that it is what most Indians want, i.e. a macho looking SUV doing the rounds of malls instead of any real off roading and that the Thar eclipses the Jimny completely, I politely say why not just wait for the Jimny to actually launch in the country and see the real scenario instead of speculating. We should remember that Jimny commands a wait period in today's time when macho looking but also capable and refined SUVs are already available in mature and not so mature markets alike. Jimny has been a darling of petrolheads in all the regions it has been launched in. Just deal with this simple fact while we all impatiently wait for its launch and sales performance in our very own country.

There is one point that I haven't seen being discussed anywhere, does the Jimny make a case for replacing the good old Gypsy in military use in our country? There is not one vehicle currently in use in India that has the potential to do what the Gypsy still does in the army or the paramilitary. The Safaris, the Mahindras and others have been able to make their place in almost all govt organisations but when it comes to the actual use at the frontline, we still don't have anything even remotely close to the performance of the Gypsy. Even the mighty Pajero was tried in North East for far remote areas but couldn't make a name for itself. The beefed up Scorpios and Safaris do the service as vehicles of officers holding bigger ranks but they often get stuck when the going gets tough. They are just used as symbols of 'babudom'. Can the Jimny fill this gap? Is Maruti trying to give our forces once more a vehicle that can go along with the tanks, the Tatras and the BMPs and even further still? The answer might be a No or a Maybe but I personally would want the Jimny to be the next replacement for the veteran Gypsy.
Fuldagap is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 00:43   #504
BHPian

I don't know what to say , only one comment - POOR VISION !

They should have brought it before the THAR , just see the production line pic and it just shows how dwarf is JIMNY !

JIMNY is a common sight on MiddleEast roads especially in DUBAI , it looks good only when it's kitted up with lift kits.

How many units of pending orders are there over the globe today ? 30K ? waiting period is due to their dismal production capacity.
TorqueIndia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 09:56   #505
BHPian

IMO, maruti should launch both 3 door and 5 door version in India. 3 door version should be branded as Jimny and be retailed through Nexa chain as lifestyle product. The 5 door version should be named Gypsy and sold through arena showrooms. Both should be launched at same time and there should be price difference of approximately 1 lakh between similar variants, 3 door version be cheaper. 3 door version be portrayed as lifestyle vehicle should have more customization options, different body colour options.
Dr.Abhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 20:19   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
IMO, maruti should launch both 3 door and 5 door version in India. 3 door version should be branded as Jimny and be retailed through Nexa chain as lifestyle product. The 5 door version should be named Gypsy and sold through arena showrooms. Both should be launched at same time and there should be price difference of approximately 1 lakh between similar variants, 3 door version be cheaper. 3 door version be portrayed as lifestyle vehicle should have more customization options, different body colour options.
+1 Only nexa would also do, anything in arena is not considered premium. Im awaiting for the 3 door version. I think 10L should be the happy price point. Anything more and the Sonets, Venues, XUV300s, ecosports etc become more appealing to the public.

Definite death if its touching 20L. 15L also is out of question.

A clear win I see is 10L variant, upgrade it as you want.
abhinavinc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 22:57   #507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavinc View Post
+1 Only nexa would also do, anything in arena is not considered premium. Im awaiting for the 3 door version. I think 10L should be the happy price point. Anything more and the Sonets, Venues, XUV300s, ecosports etc become more appealing to the public.

Definite death if its touching 20L. 15L also is out of question.

A clear win I see is 10L variant, upgrade it as you want.
10L will be a sweet spot for this mini SUV.
Old 24th January 2021, 03:02   #508
Senior - BHPian

The irony of the Indian automotive industry!

Mahindra who is not even in the top 3 in India has launched a 3 door lifestyle SUV that is bigger, better engineered, safer than any SUV in suzukis portfolio. In the pipeline are two all new full size SUVs, another body on frame SUV (new Scorpio) and a monocoque (new XUV500). That is impressive commitment to the market.

Here is India's largest Car maker, selling 10 times more than mahindra, unable to launch a simple basic small uv into the market, simply because it can't be bothered.

Even the Indian industrys perennial laggard, Tata has moved on. Tata is aiming for upper segments that Suzuki has no balls to even aspire for, let alone try! Even in terms of design nous, a company like Tata is so far ahead of suzuki.

Had this been any other company, any other industry, any other country, an organisation like maruti would have been dead and buried. Making way for companies that have the foresight to make better and more innovative products.

Nope the fascination with mediocrity continues, and maruti in turn rewards the nation with more of the same!

PS: This fake hype around Jimnys global demand? 3 of the world's largest car markets, US, China & Europe don't buy Jimnys. This is a fact. Jimny isn't sold in the US, nor in China where Suzuki has a miniscule presence (much less than a single percentile!), and it has been discontinued in Europe. Jimny isn't sold in India, its biggest market!

So where exactly is this unsatiable demand for this micro uv coming from? How come no one questions Suzukis regular press releases about this incredible Jimny demand? Hey none of your other products sell globally so why not make more Jimnys?

'Nope, chai biscuit khaa aur jo press release diya hain, wo chaap le website pe!'
shortbread is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 00:33   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post

PS: This fake hype around Jimnys global demand?

'Nope, chai biscuit khaa aur jo press release diya hain, wo chaap le website pe!'
Why would Suzuki fake the hype about the Jimny? Did anybody else notice it yet or is everyone colluding with Suzuki in this?

What is "chaap le"?

On a side note, Mahindra's best selling product Bolero looks good but doesn't deliver what it's meant for. Maruti's best selling product, Swift, totally delivers what it's meant for. I'm guessing 'impressive' has dictionary meaning changed into depressing.
Old 28th January 2021, 03:12   #510
BHPian

I believe that Maruti Suzuki would not want into the niche category as it has never been their stronghold (Kizashi, Grand Vitara)! And if for a moment, instead of thinking from an enthusiast’s point of view, if we think practically, they would rather plan to put two jump seats behind the second row of Jimmy to make it more practical for the average Indian buyer! And I think in that case, it would achieve higher sales number also. May be they are planning to plonk their upcoming diesel mill also along with the 1.5 litre petrol NA in it.
And on a different note, a company who is taking almost a year to bring the BS6 Diesel engine, I would rather not expect a quick launch for 5 door version for this vehicle!
H0RSEPOWER is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks