Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2021, 21:12   #1531
BHPian

Re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwerkyC0ffee View Post
Hi all owners of Honda City MT variants, can someone please let me know what is the engine RPM at 100 and 120 kmph in 6th gear. Also, how intrusive/irritating is the high speed warning chime?

I'm unable to find this information from any credible source so asking here. Thanks.
In 6th gear, at 100 kmph, engine runs at 2500 RPM and at 120 kmph, engine runs at 3000 RPM. Personally I would have liked lower RPM at these speeds. I have heard that in CVT, 100 kmph is achieved below 2000 RPM. Automatic owners please confirm.
Learner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 22:17   #1532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwerkyC0ffee View Post
Hi all owners of Honda City MT variants, can someone please let me know what is the engine RPM at 100 and 120 kmph in 6th gear. Also, how intrusive/irritating is the high speed warning chime?

I'm unable to find this information from any credible source so asking here. Thanks.

Around 3k at 120kmph in 6th gear.
I'd say the engine noise and the road noise will over power the warning chime above 120 kmph. Cabin insulation is not that great so you will not be paying too much attention to the chime but engine does have a sweet note above 3k.
But if you are to cruise at those speeds for a long time it is pretty irritating.
SAK-XXVII is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 22:26   #1533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learner View Post
In 6th gear, at 100 kmph, engine runs at 2500 RPM and at 120 kmph, engine runs at 3000 RPM. Personally I would have liked lower RPM at these speeds. I have heard that in CVT, 100 kmph is achieved below 2000 RPM. Automatic owners please confirm.
Thanks for replying.

Yes, the CVT indeed does 100kmph at 1800 RPM, which is why it has better claimed fuel efficiency than the MT.

If the engine is doing 3000 RPM at 120kmph then that 6th gear is not helpful. Maruti Swift also does 120kmph at 3000 RPM, albeit in 5th gear.
TwerkyC0ffee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 22:50   #1534
Senior - BHPian

I took it for a short spin and there was light rain. I noticed 2 problems during the drive.

1. Noise insulation is bit poor, you need to play some music when you have passengers.
2. Car gets dirty very fast. Both sides below door handles got really dirty within 15 minutes of highway driving in the rain.

Other observations:
1. Few plastic parts on the exterior (front grille bottom, chrome moustache, plastic inside boot resting place) and interior (A pillar panel) are not put together properly. Front grille bottom portion looks very delicate and may break with small force.
2. Paint quality is average. Skoda, VW, and Tata quality is much better.
3. This car is not for rough usage. It is a comfortable family car and you should drive like one.

I did Turtle wax hybrid ceramic wax& polish+hybrid spay wax session before taking it out for a drive.
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-1628005783422.jpg  

Last edited by Latheesh : 4th August 2021 at 23:16.
Latheesh is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 22:53   #1535
BHPian

I see City raining on this thread. Quick question to all who bought it recently - did you consider the Verna at all or not.
I like Verna's looks and don't care too much about the rear seat space. If I take the Verna, I also get a higher model at the same price - SX IVT is the same price as V CVT. I think its down to these two for me a the moment.

Wanted your suggestions on this!
Old 4th August 2021, 23:40   #1536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
I see City raining on this thread. Quick question to all who bought it recently - did you consider the Verna at all or not.
I like Verna's looks and don't care too much about the rear seat space. If I take the Verna, I also get a higher model at the same price - SX IVT is the same price as V CVT. I think its down to these two for me a the moment.

I did consider the verna.
Verna makes more sense if you want a diesel. City makes more sense if you want petrol. I did look at both those vehicles.
Even i felt that verna was a looker until i saw both the cars in person, so try having a look at both the cars again.
Verna is a facelift and city is all new generation car, that was one of the key factors for my purchase of City.
City is up on safety features as against verna (at least on paper).
Other factors were
1) Clean dash
2) Ergonomics
3) Rear seat space
4) Looks
5) Sweet note of the engine till 7k( its addictive)

Here is my City ZX MT
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-20210804_233329.jpg  

SAK-XXVII is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 13:44   #1537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did check when it was launched but did not like it due to rear seat space and headroom. City is newer, design looks clean (except that ugly front), spacious, and I was looking for Petrol.
Latheesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 20:18   #1538
BHPian

It hovers around 2000 RPM, depends upon the inclination, wind direction and road condition actually. Here is a shot of my speedometer while on my way back to Bangalore. I was on Cruise Control at 110 kmph.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-whatsapp-image-20210805-8.05.33-pm.jpeg

[PS: It was taken by my wife from behind, kindly avoid taking this by yourself. I ensured that the road was empty for atleast 2+ KMs when I asked her to take this shot. Please make sure you give priority to safety first]

I also observed one thing which all of us should keep a watch on. I accidentally got a very minor scratch on the Front Left (lowest) part of the bumper. This happened when I was parking it on a hydraulic parking system which did not have enough space to make sure that I can keep the car straight enough to park on it. Please refer a sample image below.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-heavydutyhydrauliccarparkinglifts500x500.jpg

Learning from this incident is that, make sure that you always keep an eye on such cases.

I could not resist seeing the very minor scratch, hence did a minor sticker work to cover it up. [Left side of the lower bumper]

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-whatsapp-image-20210805-8.03.28-pm.jpeg

A view for the right side

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-whatsapp-image-20210805-8.03.12-pm.jpeg

Please make sure that you park on such systems in a reverse mode. It gives (at-least for me) a good control and better understanding on the surroundings.

Last edited by vasi_raju : 5th August 2021 at 20:20. Reason: Updated content
vasi_raju is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th August 2021, 23:24   #1539
src
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasi_raju View Post

I also observed one thing which all of us should keep a watch on. I accidentally got a very minor scratch on the Front Left (lowest) part of the bumper. This happened when I was parking it on a hydraulic parking system which did not have enough space to make sure that I can keep the car straight enough to park on it.
Learning from this incident is that, make sure that you always keep an eye on such cases.

Please make sure that you park on such systems in a reverse mode. It gives (at-least for me) a good control and better understanding on the surroundings.
Yes Raju that front left is the most vulnerable place and unfortunately out of sight from everywhere.
Even I have a scratch on that place from a foot pavement edge.
Also these parking systems are so measured that any bigger cars are in a risk and hence lot of malls allow them to park separately.

Between your stickers are very nice and from where did you get it. Need one in either RED or WHITE or may be planning Carbon Fiber Stickers in that stretch.
src is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 08:12   #1540

Generations have seen Honda Cars and Honda has proved their ability in the game. I wanted to write a small informative review about my new car with a few pics because all our experts & senior BHPians would have already posted 1000s of pics and my information would definitely not outweigh their experienced reviews.

Details:
1. Honda City 5th Gen
2. May 2021 model
3. Golden Brown Metallic
4. VX variant - Continuously variable transmission
5. Dealer: Dakshin Honda Bangalore

Options considered:
None.

My impressions:
1. Classy design, elegant, No Nonsense or swanky or sporty looks
2. Finally after 2 decades, DOHC layout adding extra 2 BHP
3. Quality interiors, spacious cabin, Best in class seating
4. Partial Digital cluster with GMeter, DTE, IC, Tyre deflation status & many more
5. Safety first value proposition from Honda is great - VSA, Airbags, TDfS, VSA, HHA
6. Sunroof for VX variant
7. 16 inch Spare alloy
8. Infotainment system - Though display should have been better, I liked it
9. Engine guard
10. Auto dimming mirror
11. Nicely designed seats - Feels premium and comfortable
12: No interior dashboard/ door noise
13. Powered with technology - Alexa, Honda Connect app loaded with features like Find my car, trip log, service booking etc..

Dislikes:
1. No Wireless charging, ventilated seats
2. Poor reverse camera
3. Limited Alexa functionality
4. Very light weight
5. Engine cacophony sometimes (Verna Petrol Automatic seems more refined I felt). Insulation could have been improved
6. Bridgestone Ecopia tyres - Ultra crap
7. Low 165 mm GC
8. Hit 80 kmph and above; you get annoying alarms

What would have been good for this price range
1. Wireless charging, Ventilated seats
2. A 1.5L Turbo engine with at least 20 KGM Torque (If by chance Honda comes with this option, price would be 25 lacs J)
3. Sturdy body
4. 195 tyres
5. Tyre pressure monitoring system with PSI reading

Driving Impressions:
With burgeoning petrol price (Special thanks to our government), fuel efficiency is of utmost importance where I get 8.5 kmpl to 10 kmpl in Bangalore city driving conditions (80% City/ Drive mode & 20% ECO mode based on traffic conditions). Long drive yet to make. However, a small drive in NICE Road for about 50 km gave me FE of 18.5 kmpl with Sports Mode paddle shifters maintaining a speed range between 100 to 120 kmph. Please note that FE figures are from MID. Cruise mode was ON intermittently. I run with Nitrogen - 32 front & 31 rear.

I felt a smoother driving experience in the new Honda City with good power delivery at all speeds though Turbo component is missing. Overtaking is also quicker as compared with previous generation Honda City cars. May be this new DOHC layout has given adequate rush of power. I personally liked that Sporty Noise at higher RPMs. Honda should have increased Torque by 2 or 3 Kgm for better cruising. Cornering capabilities are quite ok but you don’t get that confidence because of 185 tyres. Many say Honda has soft suspensions but I feel its Stiff - Soft suspension better than old Honda Citys’. Steering is much responsive and tighter as compared to its closest rival Verna.

Car manages minor road bumps and potholes easily. GC is always a matter of concern with Honda. Probably, getting ROGER AB suspension buffer helps. I have to try it out soon.

Braking is directly proportional to the level of confidence a driver gets especially in Highway driving. Honda needs to improve on this aspect. I witnessed puffiness while applying brakes. Need to check it during 1st service.

Accessories from showroom:
Rear bumper center garnish - 3699
Front bumper center garnish - 2599
Window chrome molding - 3099
Rain Visor with Chrome lining - 4500
Basic accessories with Pathetic mats which I got free of cost; I disposed it next day itself.

Accessories fitted outside:
OEM fitting Stanley Touch Classic Leather seats from Epona Lifestyle. Basically, wherever the body is in contact, its Stanley leather and sides/ backside, its PU leather. You do not feel any difference in color. Its beautifully tailored/ custom made. Additionally dashboard trim, door trim, armrest both front & back are fitted with Stanley touch classic leather. All for 30 K. Just a suggestion - If you are getting the fitment outside, please do consider Airbag sensor fitted properly else you get a notification. Please do not get Non-OEM seat fitting; it looks ugly and shabby for such a premium car in its segment. I purchased TurtleWax Luxe Leather cleaner and I must say, it does the job perfectly and no complaints. Just spray and wipe using Micro Fiber cloth. That is all you need to do maintain leather seats.
3d Beige color Kagu mats for 8k in Konark - The House of Car Accessories. I made a mistake and purchased old gen Honda city mats. Nevertheless, it fits well and gives premium feel

Technology:
Technologically, it’s a superior car in the segment but Hyundai is way better in terms of technology transformation. Hyundai change cars technology features faster than software regression test automation suite upgrade J
Honda City Alexa feature is fun and needful as well. Especially during summer, you can ask Alexa to start the Engine and AC a few minutes before you get inside the car. I also liked Honda Connect App where you can book service, track the car, completed trips, driving score, boot open, check car lock/ unlock status etc..

One comedy is that sales guys do not have any idea on how Alexa works. When I asked them to configure, they said - Sir, you need have Alexa Echo device. Honda connects to that device and that device connects to your car. Then I asked them, what if I turn of that device or what if WIFI is off. They said sorry sir, it should be ON always. Lol. I asked them to share the tech document and I showed them how to configure. They cut a sorry face and says this dealership does not train/ mentor us. Lol. You see technically incompetent people selling premium cars.

Dealership experience:
The goods: On-time delivery, discount on accessories, faster loan processing, accessories, registration. I got Zero Dep insurance outside at just 37K where dealer quoted 52K.
The odds: Sales guys with Alexa capabilities. Lol.

Well, I conclude with this. Please let me know your feedback. With all your wishes, I am hoping to enjoy drives safely and responsibly.

I do have a few questions. Need expert opinions:
Honda has Mineral, Synthetic, Synthetic 2.0 engine oils - Which one is better and which one is used and is it good to change after 3000 km run to avoid mirroring? I asked service guys and some say Mineral and some say Synthetic
Would Roger AB buffer help? I know it increases GC but it may also give painful butt-bumps
Any need to get K&N or BMC air filter?
Headlights - Philips or Osram? If so, which model? I do not want to get electricals changed.
Does 195 tyres feels heavy? Does it impact FE?

Thank you. Forza TeamBHP; Forza TeamBHPians
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-20210724_073027.jpg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-20210728_072756.jpg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-20210724_073048.jpg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-20210728_072733.jpg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-20210728_072723.jpg  

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-20210728_072710.jpg  

Rudra28 is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 08:35   #1541
Senior - BHPian

@Rudra28 - Thanks for sharing your short review. Couple of questions:
1. Aftermarket seat cover from Stanley - Did they take care of side airbags?
2. I see door sill plate/sticker in one of your pictures. Can you share the link?
Old 6th August 2021, 09:28   #1542
BHPian

Quote:

Yes I did check Verna thoroughly. In fact I booked one (pre-facelift version) a year before buying 5th Gen city. I have not driven the 1.5L Petrol version, but the earlier one (1.6L) was quite good - low end torque was quite good and engine was super silent. I believe the new 1.5L would be as good as well.

Only two factors that goes against Verna vs the new City (and these are a deal breakers for many):
1. Rear seat space - enough said already about it. But that is really about as good as was in my Chevy Beat.
2. The front design is BAD. The car overall is quite a looker, but the front bumper design is like this Emoji's teeth

Apart from that, Verna is quite competent. I would rate it higher than City for in-cabin insulation, overall interior "feel of Quality" (not necessarily better in quality than City, but definitely looks better screwed together).

Where City tripped in favor for ma against Verna is 1. front view (City is ugly from the front too, but Verna makes it feel better )
2. Overall space inside the car, and
3. Most importantly - safety features. V trim is loaded with all the safety features that you get in the top ZX variant, sans side Airbags. Verna SX is all features and gimmicks in comparison.

Having said that, I would be equally happy if I had bought Verna instead of City. Try both of them and consider what all features you want to have in your car, once the new car feel is gone (a year down the line).
Nav-i-gator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 09:34   #1543

Thank you Latheesh.

1. Seat airbags taken care. After fitment, I observed 'Supplemental Restraint System Problem' prompt in MID. Connection was fixed properly and the prompt disappeared.

2. Scuff plate - https://konarks.business.site/. Its in Jayanagar 9th Block. Contact number is mentioned in Google site. Showroom guy quoted illuminated scuff plate at 4800 INR. To me, it looked just cosmetic. Here, I got it for 1200 INR which is a 2 step scuff plate specifically designed for Honda 5th Gen.

Hope this helps.
Rudra28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 11:25   #1544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Other observations:
1. Few plastic parts on the exterior (front grille bottom, chrome moustache, plastic inside boot resting place) and interior (A pillar panel) are not put together properly. Front grille bottom portion looks very delicate and may break with small force.
2. Paint quality is average. Skoda, VW, and Tata quality is much better.
3. This car is not for rough usage. It is a comfortable family car and you should drive like one..
It takes a lot of guts to admit the mistake or point out the negatives that one have. You don’t seem to like the city. Your post kind of reflects my thoughts on Baleno. Is it a head over heart decision?
amvj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 11:36   #1545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
It takes a lot of guts to admit the mistake or point out the negatives that one have. You don’t seem to like the city. Your post kind of reflects my thoughts on Baleno. Is it a head over heart decision?

I took delivery and drove few kilometers on the first day and parked it at home. This is what I did next two days:

2nd day - Washed and detailed using Turtlewax Cermic wax& polish (spent 4-5 hours). Covered and kept untouched the car for 24 hours.
3rd day - Turtlewax ceramic wax coating (1 hour), covered and kept untouched for 24 hours.

When you do above two tasks you work with each and every panel and see every exterior plastic parts closely. You also get to see the paint quality up close. I did not check each and every parts just to find issues

Last edited by Latheesh : 6th August 2021 at 12:00.
Latheesh is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks