Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2021, 11:44   #1576
BHPian

Re: The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post

I am confused between VX and ZX. Only hitch being the quality of seats and illumination of LED HL. Should I go ahead with ZX or go with VX and upgrade the headlamps and upholstery.
I had the same confusion, but eventually decided for VX, as I felt that was a true VFM variant, with almost everything. Seat covers, I’m not very worried about, because you can get almost the exact same fit and finish (and comfort) if you spend around 35k (touch leather). However, the LED lights on the ZX look really cool! That I’m not sure if you get outside. Have you enquired and found a source? If yes, please let me know as well!
Old 22nd August 2021, 12:28   #1577
BHPian

Couple of questions for anyone who has bought the 5th gen City:

1. Do the standard and extended warranties get impacted at all if you choose to go for a tire upgrade?
2. Will the spare wheel well accommodate a full-size tire?
3. Does the TPMS still work seamlessly if you change the tires? Is any technical recalibration required or can it be done from the steering controls?

Thanks!
Old 22nd August 2021, 17:34   #1578
src
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post

1. Do the standard and extended warranties get impacted at all if you choose to go for a tire upgrade?
2. Will the spare wheel well accommodate a full-size tire?
3. Does the TPMS still work seamlessly if you change the tires? Is any technical recalibration required or can it be done from the steering controls?

Thanks!
Hello Brother,

1. Depends upon Dealer & ASS and asked this question categorically before purchase from where I bought. They said they will honor as long as the Alloy size remains constant.

2. For VX & ZX they offer full size alloys.

3. City comes with Lowline TPMS only which gives Deflation Alert. Does not specify which tire and how much is the PSI. Yes it works seamlessly. Anyway I have installed SensAiry during tire change and I get exact PSI for all 5 tires.
src is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 21:22   #1579
Senior - BHPian

First niggle:
Driver side window anti pinch and auto up not working. Not a major concern, hope it can be fixed during the first service. I had taken it to service few days back and they scanned the vehicle. Looks like something got reset in the process.

Last edited by Latheesh : 22nd August 2021 at 21:23.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 21:23   #1580
BHPian

Hello All
I am a new entrant to the team BHP although being an avid reader of different forums for few years now. Thanks to the reviews, opinions and all the different sort of sharing in this forum from team BHP members who have contributed, I am so delighted to share that I too have booked a 5th Gen City ZX CVT in Golden Brown. I have run through the entire thread and have been so happy to see people posting right from the point of deciding to buy a car > initial confusion > test driving > selecting > booking > delivery > driving. It was really a fun reading and I have highly benefitted from your posts in preparing myself for this very important decision.

My shortlist - Hyundai Creta SX, Kia Seltos HTX 1.5, Skoda Kushaq Ambition 1.0, MG Hector Shine 1.5 (All in CVT). City beats all the above semi SUVs (except the Hector) for me. The toss had to decide between MG Hector Shine and City

Wanted to TD VW Taigun but after striking out Kushaq, being made on the same platform and striking similarity, I found it not worthy of waiting for the launch.

Can't end my very first post without special mention of Trackday, Autoconsultant, Lateesh, Rudra - your posts and reviews have been

Apart from bhp forums, I have also found insights from Motorcar Unleaded and Jay D YouTube channels

Thanks team & be safe!

Will keep sharing my experience and seek expert advice

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd August 2021 at 05:04. Reason: Extra smileys deleted
sprinter is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 10:10   #1581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AamodB View Post
Hi Swarup, how well do the mats fit? Would really appreciate it if you could share a couple of pictures of them in the car.

P.S. If you bought them online, could you please also share a link. Thanks!
The mats fit pretty snug. Needless to say, it's a custom fit for City 2020+ models. The bottom material is done with velcro, hence it just grips to the carpet layer underneath very tightly.
I got them directly via Hot Tracks victoria road Bangalore. Apparently, they seem to be the official distributor for Kagu 3D mats. Suggest you directly contact the phone numbers and place orders instead of website route ( i found better prices via Phone/Whatsapp ). They are mighty expensive for bucket mats, but they seem to last quite a while.

Here are some photos, hope it helps.

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img4682.jpg

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img4684-1.jpg

The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-img4680.jpg
Swarup5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 11:38   #1582
BHPian

I recently test drove the city as a potential candidate for my FIL. I am 5'11'' and just could not sit sit comfortable at either the left rear or the right rear. I kept bumping my head to the roof. It was vert uncomfortable and finally I had to sit in an angle so that my head is away from the roof and angled towards the center. The interiors of the new city does look more modern now. Drive was nice apart from the rear seat issue. Enough power to pull 5 people on the highways at good speed. Suspension as cushy ,neither too hard or too soft.
Old 23rd August 2021, 11:41   #1583
BHPian

Any idea if I can download the user-manual for the City?

Wish I could be familiar with everything when I take delivery.

Honda's official website has the manuals for others but not the City:
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-city.png  

Old 23rd August 2021, 13:42   #1584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Having driven the 2007-Honda-Civic which is notorious for very low ground clearance, over extremely bad roads and survived, I can say you will never have any problems in the new City.
I have booked a new City just yesterday, and I am going to enjoy its high ground clearance! (relative to the Civic)
I have driven a relative's Civic for some time in Delhi and it was a pain to take it over bumpers and broken roads.

Congratulations for the booking. Wish you miles of happy cruising. Don't forget to share pics and initial review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
GC is not a problem at all. I drove around couple of hundread km in Kerala monsoon and did not face any issue.
Leather seats in the ZX is superb. May be owners who have ZX variant can give correct feedback. Design, quality, fit, and finish is awesome. If I had the budget I would have gone for the ZX for leather seats alone.
Thank you so much for the feed back. Leather seats is one of the top reasons to go for ZX. Even the doors look more premium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nTorq View Post
I had the same confusion, but eventually decided for VX, as I felt that was a true VFM variant, with almost everything. Seat covers, I’m not very worried about, because you can get almost the exact same fit and finish (and comfort) if you spend around 35k (touch leather). However, the LED lights on the ZX look really cool! That I’m not sure if you get outside. Have you enquired and found a source? If yes, please let me know as well!
I did check the cost of led headlights on boodmo.com. It was a cool 36k+ per piece. Will check with the Honda workshop. Vx is no doubt the most loaded VFM. ZX is additional luxury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by src View Post
Hi Bravo,
Yes it's a tough choice between VX & ZX and I also passed through this conundrum.
Eventually I bought the ZX for the significant seat comfort. The foam quality is few notches above the V & VX variants.

1. For automatic, CVTs are one of the best options from reliability and you can TD Seltos, Creta & Verna as they are good too.

2. Ground Clearance is not a major issue although I have changed to 195/55 R16 from 185/55 R16 which gives a marginal advantage. Majority of the cases the plastic engine guard takes the hit and it has scratches only.

3. Seats are brilliant. Cannot comment on durability now. Not faced sweating issues till now.

4. LED Lights are pretty good in dark stretch but suffers the typical issue in rainfall which is common for all LED lights but you will get used to it. Need to use the Fog Lights also to overcome the bad scenarios.

Hope I could help your queries.
Thank you so much for the detailed point wise reply.

1. Creta and Seltos are already out thanks to 3 star crash rating. Though for a little more Creta SX IVT offers a more feature loaded car with that massive sunroof.
My better half never liked the looks of Verna. Also, AFAIK Hyundai vehicles are expensive to maintain in long term.
I can wait for the MG Astor as its a feature loaded vehicle with 5 star safety rating. The XUV 700 has raised the bar with the features at disruptive pricing. Hope Astor takes it a step further. Not sure of reliability of MG vehicles though.

2. I too will consider upgrading the tires. Hope that will take care of the GC to some extent.

3. Perforated seats are better any day over the non perforated ones. Probably that's the reason for no sweating. Checked leather seats of a friend's 3 years old 4th Gen City ZX. Seats were just ok, not looking premium like the 5th gen. May be aging/ poor maintenance or cost cutting in 4th Gen city.

4. I believe the Fog lamps are LED too and in white color. Replacing them with Projectors might help.
Old 23rd August 2021, 16:39   #1585
BHPian

I recently got this message from the dealer from whom I purchased my City ZX on WhatsApp:

Quote:
Greetings from Capital Honda - OMR!!!
Monsoon Offer!!! Keep your car rust free, Body paint re-finish offer at "Zero" Payment (Policy Excess) under Insurance claim (B2B).
Hurry Up!!! offer till 31st Aug'21.
For More Details pl contact 9840444926; 9500085262; 7338805083; 9500116281; 9500016442. T&C apply.
I'm thinking that this is a scam. I did not call the numbers listed, as I'm afraid that I may get added to some database for further calls and solicitation.

I've the following questions:

1. Is it possible for claiming insurance, as the message says?
2. What does "Insurance claim (B2B)" mean?
Old 23rd August 2021, 17:01   #1586
BHPian

Here is the Proforma-Invoice I received from the dealer today. The insurance amount will reduce as I will be doing it outside.

The taxes are an INSANE 67% (including RC/RTO), and on top of it I will have to keep paying Tolls

(Sarcasm)And the roads in my town/state/country are pot-hole free and the best in the world, good to know that the taxes I pay are put to good use
Attached Thumbnails
The 5th-gen Honda City in India. EDIT: Review on page 62-pi.png  

manim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 23:35   #1587

5th Gen CVT Highway experience & FE

Sharing my quick highway driving experience & FE.

BANGALORE > SHIMOGA Via Chitradurga
SHIMOGA > BANGALORE Via Arasikere > Channarayapatna

Cruise control: Just knock the button and set to 100 or more and its amazing. I drove between 102 to 110 kmph in Cruise Mode. RPM settled between 2150 to 2400 max with varying speed.
At 110 kmph, you feel the car is unreasonably faster. Braking could have been better I feel (I also mentioned in my review).

Cornering: Controlled than expected. Decent suspensions. Its not that bad but Rear wheel went off the highway during a turn and I lost bit of control at 100 kmph. 195 section tires would be a mandate for sure!

Acceleration: Car is faster till 80kmph and from 80 to 100, you feel its taking longer than usual which is annoying for a driving enthusiast. Downshift to 5th or 4th step and car cruises very well. Actually, I learnt to use paddle shifters in this trip. I still feel Torque should have been increased to at least 20KGM. Though the car is faster, you don't feel that punch and as we all know CVT RB effect. Have to live with it.

FE (MID readings):
1. After Tumkur to Chitradurga with 100 to 109 KMPH with intermittent Cruise on - Achieved 18.6 KMPL
2. While driving back to Bangalore, I took a different route. From Channarayapatna to Bangalore on 4 lane road, I got 18.8 KMPL
3. From Chitradurga to Shimoga - 16.9 KMPL
4. From Shimoga to Channarayapatna - 17 KMPL

Cheers
Rudra
Rudra28 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 13:37   #1588
src
BHPian

Re: 5th Gen CVT Highway experience & FE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra28 View Post

Cruise control: Just knock the button and set to 100 or more and its amazing. I drove between 102 to 110 kmph in Cruise Mode. RPM settled between 2150 to 2400 max with varying speed.
At 110 kmph, you feel the car is unreasonably faster. Braking could have been better I feel (I also mentioned in my review).

Cornering: Controlled than expected. Decent suspensions. Its not that bad but Rear wheel went off the highway during a turn and I lost bit of control at 100 kmph. 195 section tires would be a mandate for sure!

Acceleration: Car is faster till 80kmph and from 80 to 100, you feel its taking longer than usual which is annoying for a driving enthusiast. Downshift to 5th or 4th step and car cruises very well. Actually, I learnt to use paddle shifters in this trip. I still feel Torque should have been increased to at least 20KGM. Though the car is faster, you don't feel that punch and as we all know CVT RB effect. Have to live with it.

Cheers
Rudra
Hi Rudra,

Mostly agree on the overall summary. But not on the cornering part as I am on 195/55 R16 Michelin Primacy 4ST

This is where 195 or 205 section will make a huge difference and yes mileage also drops a bit.

There is a lag from 90 km/h to 110 km/h but beyond that it reaches 150 km/h in a jiffy. Also the 120 km/h chime is not too much distracting compared to other modern cars.

Somehow I never felt the braking insufficient, may be the wider tires.
Couple of weeks back had to brake hard from 115 km/h to 20 km/h near Nandi Cross on Hyderabad road and it was brilliant without drama and even my parents in backseat could not feel much.

Disclaimer: Please do not drive above the legal speed limits for you and your family.
src is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 16:20   #1589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasi_raju View Post
Dear All,

Do any of you face issues with Apple Car Play?

What Happens?

The views of the apps get messed up. It looks like some sort of UI distortion. Please check the image below. Please look at the bottom right corner part which shows the messed up UI.
This happened to me yesterday. Disconnected the cable and put it back, and it was normal again. Will need to watch for a few more days. Did you get it fixed, BTW?
Old 24th August 2021, 16:41   #1590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
Dear Folks,
I have few queries and I request my dear BHPian to guide me.

1. Is there any other car/SUV we should consider/TD, keeping safety and fuss free long term ownership in mind? We usually retain cars for 8-10 yrs

2. Is ground clearance an issue with the 5th Gen city? I intend to use the car within city limits with occasional highway trips.

3. How is the throw and illumination of the LED headlamps of ZX model? I generally upgrade the stock headlamps in most cars I own/have owned. With the LEDs this won't be an option.

4. How good are the leather seats of ZX? Are they built to last? Do they cause sweating of contact areas in bad weather?

I am confused between VX and ZX. Only hitch being the quality of seats and illumination of LED HL. Should I go ahead with ZX or go with VX and upgrade the headlamps and upholstery.

Cheers
Hi Bravo82in, I've had the pleasure of (nearly) daily driving my ZX CVT and hopefully should be able to help with your queries.

1. Since you've already ruled out the Korean twins there's actually very little to choose from. You could look at the VAG twins just to assess them and maybe one of the two might appeal to you. Since they're fresh out of the oven, the possibility of lusting for something more modern should stay away for a while.
The Nissan Kicks is a left field option which you could try but I'm unsure of the ownership experience over the next 8-10 years as you mentioned. I don't think any of the Mahindra options come close to the refinement you would get from the Japanese/ Germans and from acquaintance's ownership experience, they do leave a lot to be desired. But you could always try the XUV700 if that interests you.

2. I've had absolutely zero issues with ground clearance apart from the occasional love tap due to the overhangs. I frequently travel to one of my work locations in a semi-rural part of Haryana where the road has "evolved" into an ungodly abomination after daily abuse from heavy trucks and the heavy rains in Delhi-NCR. I haven't had any issues of underbody scraping over the half broken roads and speedbreakers. You can go for the City without too much worry for the GC beyond the expected difference between a CSUV and a sedan.

3. While I would have appreciated a LED projector setup, the City's reflective LED headlamps perform very well within the city. I haven't taken the car on the highway at night so won't be able to comment on that. They should be beyond sufficient for daily usage and do make the car look a fair bit smarter/sharper compared to the fairly generic halogen setup on the VX.

4. The seats are super cushy and feel like an armchair, plus the leatherette is soft and breathable and not uncomfortable in the slightest. I have frequent 100km a day trips and love the experience in both the front and the rear. No sweating/ stickiness issues as of yet and that too in the searing heat of Delhi. Definitely worth the upgrade as I feel that aftermarket seat covers do have a shorter life span and are more prone to stickiness and sweating issues, unless you go for the OEM ones, which should do better albeit do feel a little plasticky/ artificial as compared to the upholstery on the ZX.

In summary, the VX + OEM seat covers is 95% of the ZX's seats and is a matter of preference. On the headlamps however, I would recommend the ZX's LED units for both throw/ illumination and the upgrade in the looks department. I would recommend against an upgrade as I personally find the headlights quite a critical component best left untouched after factory. Hope this helps!
AamodB is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks