Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2020, 08:17   #301
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!

There's a photo of an All-Orange Gravitas going out for testing in one of the pages here. Maybe the results are kept under wraps till the scheduled launch. Between the Gravitas and the Harrier, GNCAP will select the Gravitas for testing and not the Harrier. They tested the Tigor not Tiago because the Tigor is heavier and is likely to have more damage. They chose the top-end variant of the Nexon, because safety features were the same throughout the range, while the top end would be the heaviest.

GNCAP mentioned that they will select the variant being tested based on the minimum safety features available and the maximum weight. Even if Tata is ready, GNCAP will pick a random car from only the production line and not from the initial batch of test vehicles which may be altered. That's what I read in one of their interviews posted here.

Let's be patient for a while and hopefully by end of March, we should know more. Innocent until proven guilty. That's how justice should work.
discoverwild is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2020, 22:15   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Really? 8-speed? Is this a possibility? ZF & Aisin are the only ones I can think of with 8-speed ATs.
Hyundai has an 8 speed TC that is used in the Carnival with the 2.2 CRDi, so it could be true since TATA had planned to source AT gearbox from Hyundai.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 17:39   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Hello bhpians. Latest round of information regarding the Harrier/Gravitas duo.

2. Contrary to what I had said earlier, the Gravitas won't get any sunroof atleast initially. And even later also it will get a smaller one. So one more point to bash Tata about.
Now that we know Harrier has the panoramic sunroof, what's stopping TATA from putting it on the Gravitas? Even if it does come with a stepped roof, i don't see any reason why the sunroof has to be eliminated!
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 18:41   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Now that we know Harrier has the panoramic sunroof, what's stopping TATA from putting it on the Gravitas? Even if it does come with a stepped roof, i don't see any reason why the sunroof has to be eliminated!
I don't think you can make a curved openable sunroof with a stepped roof. It can only be a small one for the front and another small one, maybe, for the rear most seats. With the step over the second row, there is no way that you can have a movable safe glass roof over there.

What you can have is a Gypsy like non openable sunroof, like Gypsy had in the soft top version to let light enter in from the step in the roof.

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-images.jpeg

Image Source

Yes, unlike the Harrier they should provide it right from the launch instead of launching it as a midlife facelift next year, like what they have done with the Harrier. Just my 2 Cents...

Last edited by AdityaDeane : 3rd February 2020 at 18:44.
AdityaDeane is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 19:38   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
So I have been thinking about buying a SUV (more a UV/ tourer than an offroad machine) for last 6 months or so, had shortlisted Hexa & Compass as the final two contenders. I have been waiting for BS4 offers to sweeten further to decide.

Things changed after I saw the very same car near Hubbali on 22nd December, probably, on it's way to Bangalore. I can confirm that it does have much better presence than the Harrier. It's almost like love at first sight for me. So much so that Gravitas is top recommendation on my you tube account. I am really looking forward to it's launch.
Referring to my previous post - I test drove Harrier and Compass manual variants on the same terrain (mix of highway, city and mild offroad) back to back for about 15 kms. I've had a change of heart (again!), Compass is miles ahead of Harrier and possibly Gravitas in terms of performance, handling and comfort.

Not sure if it's relevant to provide details here but sharing it for those who may have the same dilemma:

1. Performance - Jeep is super rev happy. Assuming that the upgraded Harrier/ Gravitas will have the same engine tune, it will essentially boil down to the gearbox and ratios which are weird for Harrier. Driving compass in city traffic is relatively less cumbersome.

1a) With 170bhp on tap, safety becomes an important consideration - rumors or otherwise safety rating of 2 with 170 bhp isnt confidence aspiring.

2. NVH - Far superior in Compass. I could feel mild vibrations on the steering in the first gear but nothing beyond. Harrier vibrates from the time you switch it on.

3. Comfort - Suspensions and Body control, far superior especially off-road where I couldn't push harrier beyond 30 kmph, Compass could do 50 with ease.

4. Space - Harrier is wider and has more length but usable space may not be very different. Like 2nd row is roomier but has less under thigh support. Seat height (lower) was also an issue for me. Luggage space is a bit compromised on Harrier because of the exterior design flow.

I may settle for a manual Compass (BS4 with some discounts) as against an auto Gravitas. Will wait to test drive it before finalizing.

PS: Both were Test drive vehicles, had done between 15-20K kms on the odo. I wanted to TD Hexa as well but was informed by the sales exec that it has gone out of production.

Last edited by Rajiv0909 : 3rd February 2020 at 19:40.
Rajiv0909 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 19:38   #306
Senior - BHPian

Changing the roof design at this stage means a significant delay in production as it'll mean going back to the drawing board. Tata can't afford the delay. Probably that's the reason it'll be added later and that too albeit a regular sized one.
Old 3rd February 2020, 20:13   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
Referring to my previous post - I test drove Harrier and Compass manual variants on the same terrain (mix of highway, city and mild offroad) back to back for about 15 kms. I've had a change of heart (again!), Compass is miles ahead of Harrier and possibly Gravitas in terms of performance, handling and comfort.
Wait, with BS6 Harrier with all the sweet features and same performance as the Compass, you want to book the latter before even a test drive?

It wouldn't be apt to compare the Harrier V1 i understand but am sure the V2 will definitely give the Compass a tough competition.
abhi7013 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 21:03   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Changing the roof design at this stage means a significant delay in production as it'll mean going back to the drawing board. Tata can't afford the delay. Probably that's the reason it'll be added later and that too albeit a regular sized one.
Panoramic sunroof has become a norm in the top of the line models in all 25+ lakhs cars (MG Hector costs even less). I don't know how did they miss this while designing the stepped roof. May be they were drawing inspiration from older LR Discovery but that belonged to the 90s.

Last edited by Guna : 3rd February 2020 at 21:30. Reason: Typo
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 06:39   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Panoramic sunroof has become a norm in the top of the line models in all 25+ lakhs cars (MG Hector costs even less). I don't know how did they miss this while designing the stepped roof. May be they were drawing inspiration from older LR Discovery but that belonged to the 90s.
Even if not completely Panoramic, two separate panel also won't hurt if designed properly. The sunroof instantly adds a premium feeling to the cabin.
Avenger_123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 07:50   #310
Senior - BHPian

While a lot is being said about panoramic sunroofs, the fact is that there are really not suited for our climate. With the ban on sunfilms already being a pain in summers a sunroof will only increase the greenhouse effect in the car and put additional load on the engine. Only a couple of months of winters in the north will be suitable for a sunroof.

Even in the winter months opening the sunroof for extended periods is not wise given the pollution levels. Hence imho we are blindly copying European trends where a sunroof actually makes sense. In our climate it simply doesn’t.
himanshugoswami is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 11:49   #311
Senior - BHPian

I am not a fan of sunroof at all. I mean the tiny regular ones over driver's head which the rear seated folks struggle to get any view out of. But....say the magic words panoramic sunroof and everything changes , for me. What's not to like? Everyone gets a proper skywards view.

Tata has done the right thing by providing this. They need to come up with such additional features / USPs to take on Korean rivals. Why some people keep bringing up heat and dust and Indian conditions? Who said you have to slide open the glass? After sunset, you can get the blind out of the way and enjoy the beautiful sky-view, city skyline view. I have seen almost every sunroof hater turn into a sunroof lover when panoramic is brought into the equation.
pgsagar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 13:43   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
I have seen almost every sunroof hater turn into a sunroof lover when panoramic is brought into the equation.
Count me as one of them! The moment I sat in the Compass, my whole perception towards sunroofs changed in an instant! The airy feel, night sky and also when it rains - these experiences are worth having a panoramic sunroof.
Don't forget, they come heavily tinted so there's absolutely no issue of interiors getting heated.

In this day and age while shopping for a car upwards of 10L, having a panoramic sunroof will get prospective customers excited for sure. Heck I wish there's a car in future which can replace our aging Santro within 6 to 7L that comes with one of these! I know wishful thinking but I really hope 3 to 4 years will be sufficient for a new mid level hatchback with a panoramic sunroof!
abhi7013 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 13:56   #313
BHPian

I agree too. It wasn't even in consideration when buying but only after getting the Kodiaq did i realize how magnificent its panoramic sunroof is. It's pleasant when the weather is cool and should be great in rains. Weirdly the one is Octavia i didn't find much use for and feel panoramic is more useful in SUVs.
AnandB is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th February 2020, 20:52   #314
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Gravitas images have been leaked from inside the venue of Auto Expo 2020.

The Tata Gravitas (H7X) SUV. EDIT: Branded as the Safari!-tatagravitassuvautoexpo2020.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 11:33   #315
Senior - BHPian

Tata Gravitas walk around. Interior and Exterior.

RM Motorsports is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks