Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2020, 20:42   #421
BHPian

Re: The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs

Except the touch screen infotainment system, the base model has everything. Had Skoda been assertive about improving their service reputation, this car would have been the Innova of the basic sedan class in India.

Perhaps this is OT, but this Skoda gives me the vibes of cars like the Esteem from Maruti. Basic, dependable, and not too glitzy. I might replace my Esteem with this one soon. The only issue is the parts availability outside the service centers. My friendly mechanic tells me that Skodas have very poor resale values because the parts have to be procured from grey markets or from sites like Boodmo and older models are not supported for long. I'll wait to see how this one picks up. Hopefully people will see the value on offer. You're getting a full size sedan for the price of a mid-spec Swift.
Cessna182 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 21:55   #422

Hi guys, I have been following this thread since long and going by the positive reviews of the car I am Inclined to buy the Rider variant. Currently all my cars cars have completed 8-9 years of ownership. I own a Volkswagen Vento 1.6 Mpi, a pre owned Polo 1.2 Tdi and a Ritz VXI. I am planning to keep the Ritz and the Vento as they are the reliable workhorses. As for the Polo, it frequently visits the workshop and hence I plan to sell it. I am a bit confused between the Skoda Rapid Rider variant and the Tata Nexon XM. I am a bit confused between these two. Feedback regarding what to go for between these two cars from the learned TeamBhp family would be appreciated.
Old 6th July 2020, 00:39   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal_b View Post
Assuming I am able to bring down the difference to Rs. 1.5 lakh, does it make sense to go for the Onyx version instead?
Any objective inputs will be helpful.
Yes. It does. If you have 1.5L to spend please go ahead. The features you get for the difference is well worth it and will make you keep the car for a much longer period of time.

P.S: Interesting inputs on the discount numbers. So effectively, the Onyx is available for 10.10L on road. Right?

Also, I am assuming the exchange bonus is available for any brand and not just for Skoda or VAG cars.
Old 6th July 2020, 00:53   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal_b View Post
Seems like I am gonna be on probation for sometime. :P

Ambition vs Onyx

I did some more research and calls after my last post regarding Ambition, and based on my research I have come at a conclusion that the Onyx is a much better buy, if the Road Tax slabs are favourable in your state.

The ex-Showroom Price of Ambition is Rs. 9.99 lakh, while the Onyx retails at Rs. 10.19 lakh. On first glance, the difference looks marginal, especially considering the fact that you get the following features in addition to the Ambition variant:

1. Much better looking R16 black clubber alloys in the Onyx over the dull looking R15 silver alloys in Ambition
2. A sporty looking flat bottom steering wheel
3. Black leatherite seat covers

The Road Tax Factor

For just 20k extra, this looks like a steal deal. However, things get complicated if the Road Tax slabs in your state change at Rs. 10 lakhs and you end up paying more road tax (like in Delhi and UP, where the difference in Road Tax between Ambition and Onyx is a whopping Rs. 22k). That being said, if Road Tax slab do not change at Rs. 10 lakh, like in Haryana where the slab changes at Rs. 20 lakh, Onyx makes for a much more attractive proposition (unless of course if you are sold on the Carbon Steel colour which is unavailable for this variant).

Discounts and Waiting Time?

I fortunately have a Gurgaon address as well, so I enquired with the dealership about the discounts on the Onyx variant. Turns out, they are offering a hefty discount on the Onyx and Ambition variant and the availability is also immediate.

In my preliminary discussions, I have been offered a discount of Rs. 1.05 lakh (including exchange bonus of Rs. 25 K). In addition to the above, I am also saving close to Rs. 10k by getting my own insurance. Road Tax, obviously, I am paying on actuals, as opposed to what is quoted in the price list.

This brings down the price difference between Rider (which I have already booked) and Onyx to approximately Rs. 1.65 lakh. Which has made it a very difficult decision to make. So far, I was very surefooted about my decision to go for Rider. Now I have my doubts! To complicate things further, I was already confused between Carbon Steel and Candy White (and Onyx does not come in Carbon Steel).

Assuming I am able to bring down the difference to Rs. 1.5 lakh, does it make sense to go for the Onyx version instead?
Any objective inputs will be helpful.
Interesting line of thought there !!!

The rider seems to be immense value proposition but after checking the car out today, heart is tempted to go in for the Ambition / Onyx.

Your analogy on getting the car registered in HR has opened mind doors for me and I have started thinking on the same lines.

Which dealer did you get the quote from? Should we get together and do a collective bargain from the dealer and pull out a healthy offer?

Since your PM is not up yet, you can connect at +91-9811827436.
Gran_Tourer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 01:07   #425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Yes. It does. If you have 1.5L to spend please go ahead. The features you get for the difference is well worth it and will make you keep the car for a much longer period of time.
Thanks, I have also been doing a reverse calculation of the 1.5L in value terms (as opposed to price terms) and inching towards the Onyx.

Quote:
P.S: Interesting inputs on the discount numbers. So effectively, the Onyx is available for 10.10L on road. Right?
For Gurgaon, its coming to around 10.30L on road (including own Zero Dep insurance @ Rs. 25,000 and including the Logistics Charge of Rs. 7500 charged by the dealership). This number is higher by 22k for Delhi and Noida.

Quote:
Also, I am assuming the exchange bonus is available for any brand and not just for Skoda or VAG cars.
It applies to any car, including a car which can only fetch scrap value. I am myself exchanging a 2004 Baleno 1.6 whose registration period has expired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gran_Tourer View Post
Which dealer did you get the quote from? Should we get together and do a collective bargain from the dealer and pull out a healthy offer?

Since your PM is not up yet, you can connect at +91-9811827436.
I agree. Should be able to get a better deal if the proposition is for two cars. Will message you tomorrow! I spoke to the Noida and Gurgaon dealerships. Both were very keen to sell the Ambition/Onyx variants and had read stock available.

Last edited by vishal_b : 6th July 2020 at 01:21. Reason: Missed replying to a subsequent post.
vishal_b is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 16:08   #426
BHPian

Skoda Bangalore (TAL) has reached out offering hefty discounts on the Ambition and Onyx Variants now. In one of my previous posts , I had already mentioned how Skoda Bangalore had offered the Onyx Variant for around 12.2 lakhs. Recently, received another call from the SA saying that they are cumulatively offering a further discount of close to 80K on the Ambition variant.

In Bangalore, this would bring the on-road price of the Ambition variant to about 11.3 lakhs. I considered whether to upgrade my booking from the Rider Variant to the Ambition/Onyx variants, however decided not to do so for the following reasons -
  1. I am getting the Rider Variant for 9.13 Lakhs On-road. The difference amount payable considering the additional discounts on the ambition/onyx variants would be still upwards of 2 lakhs in Bangalore.
  2. The ambition/onyx variant has the addition of certain feel good factors such as Bi-xenon projector headlamps, 16 inch alloy wheels (Onyx variant), black leatherette seats, MID display, fog lamps, touchscreen infotainment system and maybe a few other additional features. However, there was no way I could consider these to be essential upgrades which would justify the additional 2 lakhs spent.
  3. The Rider variant captured our attention because of the incredible VFM proposition it offers. Every time we are cajoled by the additional discounts on the higher variants, we quickly realize the shortcomings of the Rapid as well, i.e., ageing design, lack of premium features which are offered on the higher variants which are offered on cars in its class. For a car which is pushing itself to the Hyundai Verna, Honda City territory in terms of pricing or even the Maruti Suzuki Ciaz, it cannot rely on the engine alone. Features offered at that price range need to be present as well. It is shocking that the Rapid even in its top trim does not offer a basic push button start let alone a Sun Roof.
  4. The Rapid Rider is the only variant which makes sense due to its pricing and which offers the basic features at a price point with which it is easier to forgive the other glaring omissions which are offered on rival cars. However, the moment we start considering the other variants of the Rapid, we have to immediately pit it against its rivals in the segment as well in terms of features offered.
  5. Lastly, Resale Value. I agree that we buy cars for personal use and should not give a lot of credence to resale value. However, for buyers on a budget, resale value is a factor as well. Most second hand car buyers are unwilling to spend the extra bucks for a higher variant. Therefore, if I were to go ahead and spend the additional 2 Lakhs on a higher variant, there is no way I can justify a premium when looking to sell it a few years down the line to a second hand buyer. Add to this, the fact that Skoda has already started offering hefty discounts on the Ambition/Onyx variants coupled with the fact that the present generation of the Rider/Vento is due for an update shortly, makes it even more clear to me to not spend the additional 2 lakhs premium on a higher variant.

This is my plan of action for my Rider Variant (Carbon Steel):
  • Upgrade to Continental MC5 (195/60/R15) and Momo Alloys (15 inch). Decided to stick to 15 inch for better ride comfort since car is primarily for city use. Also preferred Continental to Michelin after multiple reviews which state that the Michelins may offer better ride comfort, however for better handling the Continentals are better. Madhus in Bangalore has quoted a figure of 42K for both the tyres and alloys after buying back the stock tyres.
  • Install either a Sony XAV-AX5000 head unit or the RCD360 unit (which has to be sourced through Alibaba, but looks unlikely in present circumstances) along with a HD reverse camera. In any event have set aside a budget of 20K for this. Will consider a better sound system later.
  • Art Leather seats of good quality. Want to avoid genuine leather. Preferably all black with red stitching on the edges. Looking to also get a snug steering wrap in a matching theme at the same location. Have kept aside a budget of 15K for this.
  • Cosmetic upgrades: Couple months down the line, considering a Satin Black Matte Wrap for the car. Vinyl'ed (Bangalore) has quoted 40K for this. Looking to see if I can bargain further on this. Get the brake calipers painted red and get red wheel rim stickers and maybe a trunk lip spoiler. Total budget including the car wrap I have set aside 45K.

Therefore, considering all the upgrades I plan to make to the Rider variant, I will be spending a total of 10.38 Lakhs. This I feel is much more VFM instead of opting for a higher variant. Let me know your thoughts or if you feel I should be doing something different. Always eager to hear what others have to say!

P.S: I am attaching a few pics below of how I expect the car to look with the Satin Black Matter wrap. This was shared with me by FEYNLAB Car Detailing Studio. They are a bit on the pricier side, but pictures look great!

The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20200706-1.41.07-pm-1.jpeg

The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20200706-1.41.07-pm.jpeg

The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20200706-1.41.08-pm-1.jpeg

The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20200706-1.41.08-pm.jpeg

The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20200706-1.41.09-pm-1.jpeg

The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20200706-1.41.09-pm.jpeg

The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20200706-1.41.10-pm.jpeg
tejascshetty is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 16:52   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejascshetty View Post
Therefore, considering all the upgrades I plan to make to the Rider variant, I will be spending a total of 10.38 Lakhs. This I feel is much more VFM instead of opting for a higher variant. Let me know your thoughts or if you feel I should be doing something different. Always eager to hear what others have to say!
If this is your daily driver, avoid wrapping. It will be a pain to maintain in long term. Instead you can consider a steering wheel upgrade(Not sure if Skoda sells these as genuine parts).
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 17:07   #428
Senior - BHPian

Check with your dealer about alloy wheels. Aftermarket parts are a strict no no for Skoda. The only reason I will not go ahead with the Rider.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 18:59   #429
BHPian

I just came across a walk around video in Hindi of the new Rapid TSI Monte Carlo version. What caught my eye was that it came with what looks like the RCD 340g HU and not the aftermarket looking Android HU. The said car also didn't have the diffuser and the seat covers present in the Monte Carlo variant installed, which I understand are installed by the dealer before delivery.

So does this mean that ugly Android HU is also installed from the dealer or is there some option available to the customer?

Anyone who knows more abt the same please do chime in.
Abhinav_2502 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 19:37   #430
BHPian

[list][*]Upgrade to Continental MC5 (195/60/R15) and Momo Alloys (15 inch). Decided to stick to 15 inch for better ride comfort since car is primarily for city use. Also preferred Continental to Michelin after multiple reviews which state that the Michelins may offer better ride comfort, however for better handling the Continentals are better. Madhus in Bangalore has quoted a figure of 42K for both the tyres and alloys after buying back the stock tyres.
[*]Install either a Sony XAV-AX5000 head unit or the RCD360 unit (which has to be sourced through Alibaba, but looks unlikely in present circumstances) along with a HD reverse camera. In any event have set aside a budget of 20K for this. Will consider a better sound system later

On the above points:
1. The MC 5 is great! Grip and comfort is good. I got mine installed at Madhus soon after delivery. 3 yrs and 26k kms later, would I go for MC5 again? Nope. Reason being, the MC5 has a super soft sidewall. While I was aware the the tyre itself was soft compound and hence will provide grip and comfort at the cost of lower kms prior to the next change, I was ok with that since my running is over 80% highways and annual usage wasn’t going to be that high. Within 1st year of installation, maybe less, I’ve lost good chunks of the sidewall on 2 tyres. This may not be a manufacturing defect but just a function of usage in a city like Blr I guess. I hear the top of the line MRF’s are good too. You may want to check those out. Pinnefarnia I believe it’s called.

2. About the HU change. You will loose warranty. Period.
Endless.... is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 21:41   #431
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless.... View Post

hence will provide grip and comfort at the cost of lower kms prior to the next change, I was ok with that since my running is over 80% highways and annual usage wasn’t going to be that high. Within 1st year of installation, maybe less, I’ve lost good chunks of the sidewall on 2 tyres. This may not be a manufacturing defect but just a function of usage in a city like Blr I guess.
I find the continental MC5 the best balance for handling as well as life.

Mine were good for 63k km before I replaced them. I can't say the same about the Michelin P4ST that I currently have. Though the Michelins are very cushy and offer excellent ride and very low road noise, they don't seem to last long. I have done 20k km/6 months on them now and it looks it's at 50% of its life now.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 06:23   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejascshetty View Post
[*]I am getting the Rider Variant for 9.13 Lakhs On-road. The difference amount payable considering the additional discounts on the ambition/onyx variants would be still upwards of 2 lakhs in Bangalore.
I don't see any reason to look at the higher variants of the Rapid. There are many options available in the market in the price range of Ambition and above. Remember this is a 10 year old platform and Skoda service isn't really all that great and their long term reliability is still iffy. The only reason Skoda comes up in the discussion is because of the sticker price and the TSi engine. Anything above the Rider variant, look elsewhere.
longhorn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 06:57   #433
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
I don't see any reason to look at the higher variants of the Rapid. There are many options available in the market in the price range of Ambition and above. Remember this is a 10 year old platform and Skoda service isn't really all that great and their long term reliability is still iffy. The only reason Skoda comes up in the discussion is because of the sticker price and the TSi engine. Anything above the Rider variant, look elsewhere.
Completely agree. I know the segments are. not entirely comparable, but at the price point of the Rapid Ambition (Rs. 9.99 lakhs), one has to also consider the brand new Creta EX 1.5 NA petrol. It has an 8 inch touchscreen with Andriod Auto and Apple Carplay as well as projector headlamps. All basic features are there, including 2 airbags, reverse parking sensor, shark-fin antenna, electrically operated ORVMs with turn indicators et.al. Yes, it may not have quite as powerful an engine, but then the engine is no slouch either. Extremely tractable at low speeds, and decent mid-range. You also get a lot more space and you get a 2020 design instead of a 2011 design, a much better service network and far better resale value. Unless one is a die-hard sedan fan, the overall package of the Creta is far better value.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 7th July 2020 at 07:00.
84.monsoon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 09:01   #434
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
I don't see any reason to look at the higher variants of the Rapid.
Remember this is a 10 year old platform ...
The only reason Skoda comes up in the discussion is because of the sticker price and the TSi engine. Anything above the Rider variant, look elsewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
You also get a lot more space and you get a 2020 design instead of a 2011 design, a much better service network and far better resale value. Unless one is a die-hard sedan fan, the overall package of the Creta is far better value.
Totally agree with you both. I was considering the Rider only because I need a second vehicle (petrol sedan with a good back seat & basic safety features) for exclusive chauffeur-driven use. This combination of requirements points to only the Rider and the Ciaz Sigma. I went for the latter due to that humongous back seat, better ride comfort and because Maruti has 2 excellent workshops very close to my place.

In my humble opinion, there is little rationale in buying the Ambition / Onyx in July 2020. Keep in mind that the 2021 Rapid is already announced (as is the stylish Skoda Kliq), and both will be based on the modern MQB A0 IN platform with the same 1.0 TSI engine, brand new interiors and modern infotainment. Personally, I would have serious buyer's remorse at having bought a (10 year old platform's) Ambition/Onyx when I see those modern Skodas in 2021.

Again, the Creta or Seltos is an excellent choice being thoroughly modern platforms and 'future-proof' for a good 5-7 years more.

Link to 2021 Rapid news:
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...nd-2021-415267

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th July 2020 at 10:38. Reason: Merged back to back posts.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 15:46   #435
BHPian

Below is the break-up of cost for the price difference.
The dealer seems to have stopped taking bookings for Rider variants. as mentioned in the posts preceding, there is a hefty(?) discount offered on ambition variant.
Another BHP-ian had mentioned that the rider was a ploy to get the footfalls through the door and then upsell.
But, the ambition variant with the discounts actually makes a compelling argument for itself.
If you're a prospective buyer, below is the break-up according to Skoda. Some pricing I agree with (BCM seems to be more sophisticated) some i don't (Bounce back windows(anti-pinch), fuel supply cut-off(this one should be mandatory in all vehicles)).The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs-image-20200708-14.54.31.jpeg
Fernang is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks