Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2020, 13:39   #541
BHPian

Re: The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs

So, the only piece which is missing in the Rider plus puzzle is whether Skoda will launch automatic in this variant. Wish it does.

On a separate note, need some feedback on how important the driver seat height adjustment feature is. If I am the only one who will drive the car and if the seat height is low, what are the options to fix it? Would cushioning alone help? I am asking this because I remember reading an opinion that the seat height was felt to be lower in the Rider. I am 5.6" and wanted to check if this would be an issue.
Old 15th July 2020, 13:41   #542
BHPian

If i'm in market for sedan, i still put my money on rider not rider+.
I wish they've given projector headlights and steering mounted controls, instead of these HU and garnish

I personally feel projector headlights and steering mounted controls are close to safety features.
ramki.grandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 13:51   #543
Senior - BHPian

IMO the Rider Plus variant is peace of mind (apart form other minor enhancements) because nothing beats factory fit of electronics & electricals (especially in case of European cars).
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 14:20   #544

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthiksr View Post
So, the only piece which is missing in the Rider plus puzzle is whether Skoda will launch automatic in this variant. Wish it does.
The driver seat height will not be a problem with the rider. I am 5.7" and find it rather good.

Last edited by ampere : 15th July 2020 at 14:23. Reason: Fixed dotty post
Shoemaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 16:46   #545

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I would go with the Vento. I agree that it is better built overall.
Thanks. Totally agreed. While I didn't know about thr preferential treatment that VW cars got. I always assumed the opposite due to Skoda luxury image.

Now my biggest doubt is whether there is difference in the way both the Rapid and Vento are tuned because they definitely give a bit of a difference in the way the power is delivered.
Old 15th July 2020, 19:00   #546
BHPian

The way I see it is:
An RCD340 will cost ~30k anyway on the aftermarket. More if you buy it as an official accessory. So an RCD340G along with a few goodies here and there makes the 50k worth it.
In 2020, no buyer was going to be happy with the 2 Din HU anyway, this saves me the trouble of finding a reliable aftermarket supplier for the head unit.

At 7.99 ex-showroom, this is still incredible value
DeKay is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 19:28   #547
BHPian

A really smart move by Skoda IMO.
To include Touchscreen Infotainment system factory fitted lessens the burden on the customer to search for an aftermarket infotainment and get it affixed. I will any day prefer the factory fitted infotainment system rather than getting it from outside.
sahil624 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 21:11   #548
BHPian

Skoda should have given adjustable driver's seat height, would have made the Rider+ near perfect.

Nevertheless it's still great value & kudos to them for listening to customer sentiments!
John316_WRC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 22:38   #549
BHPian

The Skoda Rapid Rider Plus, that's quite a mouthful! So they picked the most asked for feature, the touchscreen HU, and added some extras like chrome window trim and additional exterior colours.

My personal wishlist for the now Rider Plus variant were leather wrapped steering wheel with controls, height adjustable driver's seat, master power window controls, full MID and additional colours, that's it.
Old 16th July 2020, 09:02   #550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
It will be the reverse.

There are 6 cogs on the model sold in India so I expect the rev's to hover ~2200 rpm at 100Kmph, which is not bad at all for the purpose of fuel economy.

Small capacity turbo petrol's have not been great in stop and go cycle and the engine barely gets the turbo spooled up.

If you care about long term reliability, I'd go eyes closed with a torque converter any day versus a dsg. Unless; out of some miracle, VW's "goodwill" extends up to 10 years of owning the car.
@100kmph : 1.0L TSi engine should be past 2500rpm i expect. My Vento 2.5L TDi hovers around 2000rpm in 7th gear @ 2000 rpm. My normal highway drives are at 120kmph.. Revvs at around 2200rpm.

I agree, all turbos don't spool up the turbo while in city condition. Diesel having a higher torque, making city drives easy. Waiting to drive a small Turbo petrol in city conditions.

I agree, Torque convertors are more reliable than DSGs. TC units have existed since the 60s. DSGs evolved since the 90s. I choose DSG for the drivability and fuel economy.

My dad has a Creta diesel AT as his daily driver. He averages 13-14 kmpl. He is very light on the throttle. On a manual he will definitely achieve 16-17 kmpl.

On my Vento i am averaging 17-18 kmpl in the highway and city routine. I am sure, there is no significant mileage drop because of the AT.

My first cousin owns Rapid TDi AT and I own a Vento AT. Rapid is definitely more fun to drive. But the overall ride and handling package of the Vento is better.

As per your listing, cruise control, rain sensing wipers, auto dimming ORVM and touch screen infotainment systems are better to have than the 16inch alloys.

I prefer the 15inch alloys. 195x60 R15 tyres that i use, i feel has better cushioning of the bad roads i encounter than the 195x55 R16. Plus the one set (4 tyres) of 15inch tyres cost atleast 6k-8k cheaper than the 16inch rubbers.

All these are knit pickings. My suggestions would be go the one which has a better dealer closer to your area.

Last edited by moralfibre : 16th July 2020 at 09:19. Reason: Back to back posts.
svmvale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 14:12   #551
BHPian

So Skoda marked up the price by 50K while adding perceived value inform of touch screen HU + other updates. In %ge terms, Skodas Profitablity on the Rapid went up by 2 - 3 Pts.

From a customer's point of view, this is still a good deal in the sea of overpriced sedans

Smart move Skoda !
charanreddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 14:46   #552

Went for the PDI of my Carbon Steel Skoda Rapid Rider which is scheduled for delivery tomorrow and chanced upon an Onyx in Lapiz Blue. It looked so much more premium and upmarket, especially with those glossy black clubber alloys. Now I am seriously considering whether to upgrade to the Onyx :/

Will keep you all posted! In the meantime, any inputs either way will be super helpful!
vishal_b is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 15:17   #553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal_b View Post
Went for the PDI of my Carbon Steel Skoda Rapid Rider which is scheduled for delivery tomorrow and chanced upon an Onyx in Lapiz Blue. It looked so much more premium and upmarket, especially with those glossy black clubber alloys. Now I am seriously considering whether to upgrade to the Onyx :/

Will keep you all posted! In the meantime, any inputs either way will be super helpful!
Go for it man, everytime you park your car and walk away...im sure Onyx will make your head turn back to admire its beauty.
ramki.grandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 15:22   #554

I think Rapid plus is a good package for the price. I would be tempted to buy if they add AT and alloys to this and price at 9L . The price difference between Polo Highline and Highline AT is 1.1L. Given that the market is tilting towards automatics, i strongly believe that an ex showroom of 9L with TSI motor and AT gear box will have many takers. Basically this Rider + AT will cater to the masses who want a good engineered, efficient and safe car. Since volumes are growing at this price poinbt , they can bring in economies of scale for ATs and Alloys

Aftermarket, Proper seat covers, steer cover, fog lamps can be added as per needs of the buyers.
Old 16th July 2020, 15:33   #555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I would go with the Vento.
I agree. After much contemplation, I went ahead and booked the 2020 Vento Comfortline from VW Rajdhani (West Delhi). The delivery timeline is around 10-15 August, and I got what I would call a fantastic deal considering the comparatively feature loaded variant that the Comfortline is (includes climate control, cruise control, 15 inch diamond-cut alloy wheels, and ofcourse the delicious 1.0 TSI). Cross posting in this thread to help those on the fence between Rapid and the Vento.
SuvidC is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks