Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2020, 21:29   #511
BHPian

Re: The Skoda Rapid 1.0L TSI Petrol, now launched at Rs 7.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
According to Skoda, the Rider variant cannot accommodate the Touch screen due to different wiring harness compared to other variants. This is what the dealership said and this is what their sales director said. So, they must be upgrading that too if they are to include the touchscreen.

Having booked the Rider variant, I'd happily upgrade to the Rider+ variant for 7.99 if it comes with the following additions.

- Touch screen with Carplay and the support for reverse camera
- Rear power windows control on the driver side door panel
- Leather wrapped steering wheel
Well, Mahavir Skoda in Hyderabad is offering an accessory pack for ₹45,000 which includes:
1. Sony ICE w Apple Carplay & Android Auto
They did not confirm me the model, but I am guessing & hoping it be Sony XAV-AX1000, albeit the cheapest (₹15,990) in their lineup with Apple Carplay & Android Auto, it has the USB port on the device itself, making it easier & cleaner looking than routing the cable into the glovebox. Also when I asked about warranty & related stuff, she elaborated on the connectors provided to them by Sony themselves, which makes it a plug & play device.
2. Reverse Camera
3. Leatherette seat upholstery
4. Some generic car shampoo & cleaning kit

I also have enquired about the alloys & fog lamps. Alloys ₹50,000 from the Ambition model, a no for fog lamps. This differs I believe from dealer to dealer according to some posts on this thread.

In any case, I think most of us would be least bit happy if they fit that awful Android HU from the Monte Carlo edition, which is not only slow but lacks Apple Carplay & Android Auto.

Neo
neo_narender is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 05:06   #512
KPR
BANNED

When can we expect official tbhp review of 1.0 TSI MT?
Old 13th July 2020, 08:12   #513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
When can we expect official tbhp review of 1.0 TSI MT?
There won't be an official review as such, as GTO has already shared his driving experience of the engine + gearbox elaborately.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 09:02   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
You hit the nail on the head. A 3 cylinder mill is criminal on a premium sedan. Just wont cut it, no matter how they slice it and dice it. Wish they had cut out the frills and focused on a more refined motor.
The Rapid TSI needs to be driven to experience the thrill it gives you! If you are one of those, who will choose flair over ruggedness, Looks over performance, Features over Fun then City or Verna for you...No doubts there.

Rapid is a pocket rocket with a great engine, superb ride quality and built like a tank & the Rider edition is the energy bar that you look forward to for those workouts The money that you would save makes it a "super VFM" without skimping on a lot of features making it a compelling buy!

The only frown-face is the way the dealers are half baked on the knowledge, be it in terms of technical stuff or the warranty conditions. I literally had about 5 answers for a same question! I loved the car and I am ok with these cons and to live with that.

Meanwhile in terms of additions that's going to make way to the rider plus variant, I doubt if they would offer so much as listed above owing to the cost that’s being added. You need to understand that this strategy shift was unplanned and hence they would probably look at engineering changes that’s easier. Probably Ambition’s head unit and Steering controls / Fog Lamps / Alloy Wheels etc. (meaning either of those) But Zac mentioned “good news” on Rapid so hoping there is something for the customer to cheer about. In a way glad that the Rapid garnered some attention with the Rider variant
Sabrish is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 15:44   #515

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrish View Post
But Zac mentioned “good news” on Rapid so hoping there is something for the customer to cheer about. In a way glad that the Rapid garnered some attention with the Rider variant
Any news on the "good news"?
Old 13th July 2020, 16:07   #516
BHPian

I own an Vento TDi AT. Done 70k kms in 3yrs. It's been a wonderful experience with the DSG. Planning to keep the Vento for a further 3yrs or upto 150000 kms. Skoda should retain the DSG.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th July 2020 at 16:38. Reason: Please avoid typing with excessive dots... like... this... Thank you.
Old 13th July 2020, 16:36   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmvale View Post
I own an Vento TDi AT. Done 70k kms in 3yrs. It's been a wonderful experience with the DSG. Planning to keep the Vento for a further 3yrs or upto 150000 kms. Skoda should retain the DSG.
No DSG with 1.0 L TSI engines. Only comes with 1.5 L TSI and above. Pretty clear on that.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th July 2020 at 16:38. Reason: Quoted post edited. Thanks.
Old 14th July 2020, 02:00   #518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Well the Verna has it now. So will the upcoming SUV's from VW and Skoda and the next gen Vento and Rapid and sedans.

Honda internationally has moved to 1.0L 3 cylinder for the City but didn't bring it here which is typical of Honda to not offer latest tech in India.

In terms of performance there's nothing that matches the 1.0L engine and I think people are seeing that 1.0L is just a number on paper.
Since I haven't driven it personally, I can't comment, but how is the NVH considering its a 3 cylinder engine? Is it as smooth and refined as a 4 cylinder?

A search on google threw this regarding the hyundai 3 cylinder engine's performance, and my fears are that the Skoda will be no different on NVH.

Hyundai 1.0L MPi/T-GDi Engine Problems and Reliability

Hyundai Kia 1.0L MPi/T-GDi Engine Problems and Reliability
Despite the fact that a lot of effort was put into operation optimization of the three-cylinder engine, many owners complain of high levels of vibration and noise. Also, real fuel consumption does not always correspond to the declared by the manufacturer. Small engines are sensitive to increased loads due to a small torque, which leads to increased fuel consumption. The most dangerous problem is that Hyundai's 1.0-liter three-cylinder engine overheats easily if you do not keep an eye on the condition of the radiator.

In general, Kappa engines are very reliable and the shortcomings are related to exploitation for the most part. Average engine life for both power units is about 120,000 miles (200,000 km).
Old 14th July 2020, 08:01   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Wish they had cut out the frills and focused on a more refined motor.
The motor is refined enough for 99% of drivers. It is only when you take off from a traffic light or floor it, do you hear some noise and maybe some vibrations, depending on the rpm. At cruising speed, you can't make out a thing.

Considering the new BMW 1 series comes with 3 cylinder engines, I'd give VW Group a pass. It is the way the automobile world is headed. I don't see any obvious benefits of this move when it comes to fuel economy, not in our country. Out of the open road, maybe. Savings for the manufacturer will be a lot.

For folks who have driven the iconic Maruti Suzuki MPFI 800 with the 5 speed box, I really want to know if you think this new VW 1l Tsi motor is smoother or even quieter than that. Aside from the fact the the car itself had poor NVH characteristics (due to build), I think it holds up pretty well, even by modern day standards.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 09:04   #520
BHPian

Vento AT is also still not listed on their website, hope Vento carries forward the DSG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
The motor is refined enough for 99% of drivers. It is only when you take off from a traffic light or floor it, do you hear some noise and maybe some vibrations, depending on the rpm. At cruising speed, you can't make out a thing.

Considering the new BMW 1 series comes with 3 cylinder engines, I'd give VW Group a pass. It is the way the automobile world is headed. I don't see any obvious benefits of this move when it comes to fuel economy, not in our country. Out of the open road, maybe. Savings for the manufacturer will be a lot.

For folks who have driven the iconic Maruti Suzuki MPFI 800 with the 5 speed box, I really want to know if you think this new VW 1l Tsi motor is smoother or even quieter than that. Aside from the fact the the car itself had poor NVH characteristics (due to build), I think it holds up pretty well, even by modern day standards.
Smaller the mill, on the high way, you will go higher revs, so will not be fuel efficient. Where as in the city, revs you might be the same. hence, the smaller mill will be fuel efficient, in city conditions.

On paper, the new VW 1.0L TSi is more powerful than the outgoing 1.2L TSi engine on the Vento and Polo GT TSi. But the power delivery is different and the vibrations of a three cylinder engine is there. Wish they had stuck to 4 cylinder 1.2L TSi with a higher state of tune.

Incidentally, the Verna 1.0L GDi develops 10bhp more than the VW 1.0L TSi, waiting to test drive that see to check the power delivery.

My main draw to VW was the DSG.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 14th July 2020 at 09:31. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts.
svmvale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2020, 16:56   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Vento AT is also still not listed on their website, hope Vento carries forward the DSG.

My main draw to VW was the DSG.
VAG has clearly called out that only 1.5L + engines will get the DSG combo. So, Polo/Rapid/Vento won't get back the DSG in their 1L TSI avatars. And given they won't ever get the 1.5L engines, DSG is only for Taigun/T-ROC/Tiguan/Passat or Octavia/Karoq/Superb/Kodiaq s for now.

India will see a polarised split between puny 1L TSIs and mid-range 1.5 TSIs and the mighty 2.0 TSIs when it comes to VAG. Interesting times ahead, eh?

Edit: On a different note, it is amazing to see how this thread has gone realtively quiet the moment Rapid Rider edition was put on halt. Wow!!

Last edited by TokyoDrifter : 14th July 2020 at 17:04. Reason: Added more.
TokyoDrifter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 02:52   #522

I’m in a dilemma choosing between the Skoda Rapid and the VW Vento. Below is the current scenario:
- I’m upgrading from a pre-worshipped petrol Swift Vxi (13 years old) and planning to keep the new car for at least next 7 years
- Took test drives of both Rapid and Vento and was blown away with the kind of thrust and the power delivery a small turbo petrol could put down and made up my mind to pick one of them
- Both the Skoda Rapid Onyx and Vento Highline cover most of the features that I was looking for and both come out costing very similar when the various discounts along with the exchange value of my Swift were deducted from the on road price in Bangalore

Now comes the tough part of picking between one of them and this is where I need your views and suggestions to make up my mind. The below is where I’m stuck:

Looks:
- I’m sure everyone agrees that looks are subjective and that both these machines are beautiful in their own way. The current facelifts and colors options help this case further
- Personally, love the way Rapid looks especially, the front facia reminds of its bigger siblings like the Octavia. The Lapiz blue with blacked out 16inch alloys is a beauty on the move. The Vento on the other hand looks a lot more aggressive and purposeful now with the new front grill and the grey cladding that follows the bodyline starting from front bumpers till the diffusers. But overall, I still believe too many Polo’s being seen on the road has made the Vento being misunderstood for a Polo when viewed from the front

Engine:
- The engine in the Rapid feels like it’s on a mission when you put that right foot down and picks up pace like no like man’s business. Loved the way it revvs but my wife wasn’t a fan of the sudden kick while it accelerated to glory. So, I feel the Rapid is a bit more aggressively tuned compared to the Vento. Coming to the Vento though the response is on similar lines somehow felt the kick in the pants feel was toned down and not nearly as aggressive. Not sure if it’s tuned different or if something else is at play here. The question here is has anyone felt this difference between the Rapid and Vento or is this just my assumption?

Suspension:
- This is where the Vento trumped over the Rapid. Somehow the Vento felt a lot more sure footed and stable on good and bad roads compared to the Rapid. The Vento actually felt a lot better built and planted again, I might be nitpicking here but just wondering if this is just me or is there something at play here. In general both these cars are great handlers and leagues ahead in comparison to competitions available in the market

Interiors:
- Love the all black interiors of Rapid over the beige leatherette on the Vento. But since the Vento Comfortline (which comes with full black interiors) currently seems to have halted production and the Highline being the only choice not much can be done here
- Space is very similar with the Rapid having a marginally better rear seat comfort and legroom over the Vento
- Boot thought on paper is bigger in the Vento, when physically viewed the different of 30 ltrs is negligible (494 for Vento and 460 for Rapid)

Features list:
- Rapid Onyx gives me – 16 inch clubber alloys in black, all black interior, flat bottom steering, black grey leatherette seats, LED daylight running lights with Projector headlamps
- Vento Highline gives me – 15 inch alloys, beige interior, flatbottom steering, beige leather seats, Dual lamp headlights, Rain sensing wipers, Auto dimming ORVM, Touchscreen infotainment, Cooled Glovebox, cruise control

Others factors:
- My assumption has been that VW has a good service backup, parts availabity and better responding ASC when compared to Skoda ( I’m based out of Bangalore)
- VW will be a bit more relaxed when it comes to warranty claims and sorting issues. Haven’t heard horror stories of SA’s taking customers for a ride with Vento/Polo like some owners have experienced here with their Skoda’s. I’m not generalizing here just mentioning the feedback I received from people I spoke to, please feel free to correct if I’m wrong
- Since I plan to keep the car for 7+ years expecting the Vento to get a better resale value and demand in the used car market when I finally decide to upgrade

Would love to hear your views and hopefully it will help me arrive at a decision. Thanks!
4G93T is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 03:59   #523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Smaller the mill, on the high way, you will go higher revs, so will not be fuel efficient. Where as in the city, revs you might be the same. hence, the smaller mill will be fuel efficient, in city conditions.
It will be the reverse.

There are 6 cogs on the model sold in India so I expect the rev's to hover ~2200 rpm at 100Kmph, which is not bad at all for the purpose of fuel economy.

Small capacity turbo petrol's have not been great in stop and go cycle and the engine barely gets the turbo spooled up.

If you care about long term reliability, I'd go eyes closed with a torque converter any day versus a dsg. Unless; out of some miracle, VW's "goodwill" extends up to 10 years of owning the car.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 07:29   #524
KPR
BANNED

Can any owner post realtime mileage of 1.0TSI engine? All I find is speculated mileage values in various reviews. Realtime figure by a bhpian is more reliable than other values.
Old 15th July 2020, 09:05   #525
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4G93T View Post
I’m in a dilemma choosing between the Skoda Rapid and the VW Vento. Below is the current scenario:
I would go with the Vento. I agree that it is better built overall. The differences are minor, but VW always gives its own cars a slightly more “favourite child” treatment compared to Skoda equivalents. For example, VW used to have a rule that certain types of trimmings (chrome, carbon fibre, piano black etc.) were only allowed on VW cars and the Skoda equivalents should use textured plastics instead.

The cruise control will be useful on highway runs and the steering looks absolutely delicious! The front grille of the Vento now looks much more distinctive and shouts out that it is a refreshed 2020 model while the current Rapid is hard to tell part from the previous one. Resale time also, the VW car will fetch more, due to the slightly more premium positioning and negative service perception overhang in customer minds about Skoda.
84.monsoon is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks