Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2021, 21:23   #496

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs

Finally got my Fortuner delivered yesterday. Its super white 4x4 automatic version with black interiors. Initial impression indicates that engine is refined and very responsive. Much better than what I expected.
Going for my first highway drive tomorrow. Feeling excited about owning my first Toyota.
Abhi_Randhawa is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 23:08   #497

Re: 2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs

Congrats Buddy. I Have booked 4 x2 AT Pearl White Chamois Interior. Waiting for some real drive and interior reviews. Hope to get some good detailed stuff as i can see many fellow members have got delivery of this beast already. Also please provide some info about amplifier, woofer and speakers upgrade, as I have come to know 6 speaker unit is flat in terms of sound quality.
AmitR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 10:25   #498

Finally got a chance to test drive the new Fortuner last Tuesday at Lakozy Toyota, Malad branch in Mumbai. Test drove both the 4x4 AT and MT. I drove down in my 2018 4x4 MT beast so as to get a better immediate idea of the key differences. I am no expert but I'll summarize what the new beast felt like.

1. Much much more refined compared to the pre-facelift the AT mainly. For some reason, the manual felt more or less like pre-facelift, at least in terms of start-up sound and a cold engine drive. The AT was almost in the league as the 3.2L Endeavour from my view point after a short drive of it in 2019, in terms of refinement and vibration.

2. Ok, this might sound controversial, but the manual has definitely lost a lot of low end punch that the pre-facelift had. My car starts pulling from around 1,400 rpm, but this car seems to slowly pull ahead at around 1,800 rpm. The main reason I chose a manual over the auto 2 years back, was that the low-end pull that the manual had, was in truck loads. It made it effortless to drive on highways and during overtaking maneuvers.

The manual seems to deliver torque in a very linear manner and doesn't seem to push you back like the old one did. Mind you, i drove the car in Sport mode and it felt like the normal mode of my car. The power mode in my car makes it lurch ahead in an unexplainable manner.

But the manual feels a lot smoother than my car and definitely revs a lot cleaner (I guess BS6 changes have a lot to do with the above as in the case of many cars that lost mid-range punch post BS6).

3. The automatic feels a generation ahead compared to the pre-facelift car. It's very smooth, gearshifts are quick and hardly noticeable on downshifting. The car is quick to respond to a sudden acceleration. The engine feels properly matched this time around and there is no unnecessary revving,.

AT downshifts, uses the torque and power and changes up quickly. Even when you revv it, it feels much better thanks to the engine becoming more revv-happy especially at the top-end. The refinement simply blew me away. I refuse to believe that I was in a Fortuner - that's how good it was on start-up and low speed driving, although it does sound gruffy post 3.5k rpm. It is definitely going to lure a lot of buyers who refused to buy it because of engine refinement and an average autobox.

4. The JBL system is all hype in my opinion. It doesn't sound anywhere as good as Toyota would have liked it to.
Although the sound quality is improved a bit, the bass is clearly lacking.

5. The suspension does seem to be bit more composed, but nowhere close to the likes of the Endeavour, which has gone even softer.

6. The variable flow control steering is definitely making its presence felt at driving speeds till 60 km/h. It's a lot lighter and maybe a bit unnatural. I definitely prefer the heft of my car's hydraulic unit without VFC. The main area where it should have been light, is at parking speeds as the pre-facelift is extremely heavy. But it's more or less the same here, so I could say it's a job half done.

Although Toyota claims the steering feel changes with change in driving mode, that is not something I couldn't feel.

7. Ventilated seats do a good job as the seats of the black AT with black interiors were cooking in the Mumbai sun when I sat in it.

8. The digital speedo in the MID is a good addition.

9. The black interiors do look premium and the seats with perforations mainly help its cause.

10. I did not get a chance to test drive or sit in a Legender, but I feel that if someone doesn't need a 4x4, it is definitely a must buy, as it differentiates the pre and post-facelift car well in terms of exterior looks and it's decently equipped as well. The JBL system is not something anyone will miss out on. The wireless charging, rear USB port, ambient lighting and maroon and black interiors will more than make up for it, not to forget the looks that will draw attention everywhere you drive.
Attached Thumbnails
2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs-img20210214wa0014.jpg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs-img20210214wa0015.jpg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs-img20210214wa0012.jpg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs-img20210214wa0008.jpg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs-img20210214wa0009.jpg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs-img20210214wa0011.jpg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs-img20210214wa0001.jpg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs-img20210214wa0007.jpg  

2021 Toyota Fortuner Facelift spied undisguised in India. EDIT: Now Launched at Rs. 29.98 lakhs-img20210214wa0006.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 15th February 2021 at 07:57. Reason: Spacing, punctuation, typos, etc
Angad sahani is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 12:20   #499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angad sahani View Post
Finally got a chance to test drive the new fortuner last Tuesday at lakozy toyota malad branch in mumbai.
Test drove both the 4x4 at and mt.
I drove down in my 2018 4x4mt beast so as to get a better immediate idea of the key differences.
I am no expert but IL summarize what the new beast felt like.
1-Much much more refined compared to the pre-facelift the AT mainly, for some reason the manual felt more or less like pre-facelift atleast in terms of startup sound and a cold engine drive. The AT was almost in the league of the 3.2 endy from atleast my perspective of a short drive of it in 2019 in terms of refinement and vibration.
4-The jbl system is a hype in my opinion it doesn't sound anywhere as good as toyota would have liked it to.
Although the sound quality is improved a bit but bass is clearly lacking.
Few queries:
1. What was the recommended tire pressure in pre-facelift? My car came with 32 when delivered and I dropped it to recommend 29. Ride improved to good extent. Now after driving 1600KM, tpms shows 28 and find the ride pretty good and offers a good balance between high and low speed ride.
2. How did you play audio? I had similar opinion when I played for a short while in showroom. Now after a month of owning, 11 speaker unit sounds nice. The bass is down by 10-15% compared to Endeavour but clarity is better in Fortuner. I strongly feel, these speakers need to break in before delivering punch. The 6 speaker unit can only match interms of loudness.
3. Did you notice any changes to beadings? The 2.8AT is silent but want to know if Toyota tweaked anything else to improve insulation.

Last edited by PrideRed : 14th February 2021 at 12:44.
PrideRed is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 12:27   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
What was the recommended tire pressure in pre-facelift?
The recommended tire pressure in the pre-facelift is also 29 Psi.
asm3899_CHD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 22:23   #501

Yes indeed as pointed out by Pride Red, the jbl 11 speaker system somehow doesnt give a good initial impression but one starts to appreciate it, once you start driving out. I didnt like its output when I checked the car in showroom, but today on my first highway drive, i found it to be excellent (especially the clarity part).
Also the in cabin noise even while driving on highways is exceptionally good. Wasn't expecting such good noise control in Fortuner. Ride quality is also good. My car also came with tyre pressure at 32 but I dropped it to recommended 29 before the start of journey.
Surely the initial expressions of Fortuner are making me one happy owner.
Abhi_Randhawa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 16:35   #502

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Few queries:
1. What was the recommended tire pressure in pre-facelift?
=====
nges to beadings? The 2.8A T is silent but want to know if Toyota tweaked anything else to improve insulation.
Hi ,
1 - The recommended psi in my vehicle is 29, although most air filling stations tell me that 32 is the standard norm for the Fortuner. I generally fill 30.
2 - I played music via Bluetooth audio as in a lot of cars I noticed that bass and loudness is down 5-10% when using apple carplay.
3 - I had a pretty small TD and focused mainly on the changes that Toyota claimed to have made, so I may have skipped noticing any such changes.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th February 2021 at 09:07. Reason: Formatting.
Angad sahani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 14:48   #503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angad sahani View Post
Finally got a chance to test drive the new Fortuner last Tuesday at Lakozy Toyota, Malad branch in Mumbai. Test drove both the 4x4 AT and MT. I drove down in my 2018 4x4 MT beast so as to get a better immediate idea of the key differences. I am no expert but I'll summarize what the new beast felt like.
Hey Angad,

Thanks for the summary. Wanted to check with you specifically on the point about ride quality of the New Fortuner over Endeavour over broken roads, open highways etc? From the few comments so far I have gathered that the current gen Fortuner is an improvement over the last gen but still falls short of the Endeavour terrain. My question is how much is the difference ? Is it really enough to sway the call in one direction ?

Last edited by swarnava.ch : 16th February 2021 at 14:48. Reason: typo correction
swarnava.ch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 16:07   #504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
From the few comments so far I have gathered that the current gen Fortuner is an improvement over the last gen but still falls short of the Endeavour terrain. My question is how much is the difference ? Is it really enough to sway the call in one direction ?
I have a 2016 Endeavour and 2021 Fortuner AT. I would give Endeavour 7.5/10 and Fortuner 7/10. The Endeavour rides better on bad patches and on highway with good roads, Fortuner feels better with little lesser bounciness. I have driven previous gen Fortuner only for about 25KM within city and felt more stiffer than facelift. Do note I am running on 28PSi tire pressure in my Fortuner.
PrideRed is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 16:12   #505
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
Wanted to check with you specifically on the point about ride quality of the New Fortuner over Endeavour over broken roads, open highways etc? From the few comments so far I have gathered that the current gen Fortuner is an improvement over the last gen but still falls short of the Endeavour terrain. My question is how much is the difference ? Is it really enough to sway the call in one direction ?
I had test-driven the facelifted Fortuner over the weekend and the ride quality has definitely improved over the pre-facelift Fortuner, I will say leaps and bounds over the 1st Gen Fortuner I have!

Now comparing the facelifted Fortuner to the Endeavour, the Endeavour (softer suspension) still has an edge over the facelifted Fortuner in comfort in the city but it’s no longer a deal-breaker. But the Endeavour’s suspension has been softened quite a lot since it’s introduction and there is some pitching at higher speeds on highways which is not the case with this Fortuner since it is still firmer in comparison.

NVH is far better in the facelift and is at the same level as the Endeavour now! Definitely the BS6 engine has been toned down for gruffness.

The new Variable Flow Steering is still heavy at parking speeds, it’s real presence can be felt at ~60kmph.

So let me put it this way;
If you are looking for a SUV that is more comfortable in the city due to softer suspension, slightly upmarket interiors, panoramic sunroof and full-time 4WD- The Endeavour is the way to go.

But don’t discount the Facelifted Fortuner just yet!

Out on the highway the facelifted Fortuner is on a new level! The performance from the uprated 2.8L engine is just addictive and the suspension is neither too soft nor too stiff lending it the perfect balance out on the highway. If Endeavour’s 2L is 8/10 in performance Fortuner’s 2.8L is definitely a 10/10.

Combine Toyota’s badge, resale value, service quality and the other updated bits into one package and the Fortuner has definitely upped the game by a fair margin. Had the Endeavour gotten the 2L bi-turbo they would have been neck-to-neck till then Toyota can laugh to the bank because of the price increase it has seen but also because the competitors didn’t see such a good update coming!

Currently the Fortuner is seeing a 3-month waiting period.

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 16th February 2021 at 16:14.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 22:05   #506
Team-BHP Support

Sorry if its a repeat question, but Legender has 6 speakers or 11? Website says 6, dealership says 11.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 22:37   #507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Sorry if its a repeat question, but Legender has 6 speakers or 11? Website says 6, dealership says 11.
The dealership is either misguiding you or they are confused themselves from the weird features distribution. The legender comes with 6 speakers.
asm3899_CHD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 22:41   #508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
6 speakers . I haven't seen Legender in person but there are no JBL branding in the spy shots or walk around video. This clearly tells it's a 6 speaker unit.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 23:10   #509
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The website is correct, the Legender gets 6 speakers. Only the 4X4s get 11 speakers and JBL branding on the touchscreen unit.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 09:20   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Guys, this generation of the Fortuner is a part-time 4WD and hence, does not come equipped with a center differential. Therefore, it should not be driven in 4wd modes (H4 or L4) on high-traction surfaces (like tarmac) that do not allow wheel slip. This can cause serious damage to the drive-train. I would be very surprised if the user manual does not mention this.
Hi,
There was some discussion on the topic of needing to run in 4WD mode for 16Km each month but no conclusion on how to deal with this for those whose primary drive is in the city.

How would one manage with a 4WD if the use case is primarily in the city (2WD) and only occasionally (say few times an year) in 4WD. Is there a recommended procedure to keep the 4WD drivetrain well maintained ?

Thanks.
subbarp is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks