Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2012, 21:30   #1741
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
I respect your stand and do not intend to disrespect the court myself. But then, if you are afraid to exercise your freedom of speech, please do not post and support the judgment either, just because of that fear!
Thanks for the tip. If you please go back and read my posts on this topic, you will see that I have only tried to gather and present as much information as possible, for the knowledge of members of this forum. Not once have I commented or said that I support the judgement.

"I would not dare..." does not necessarily mean I am afraid. It is just figurative speech.

And this being a open forum, I have also tried to present my understanding of the whole issue, with the fond hopes that it might help someone out there. If I have offended you in any manner, I apologize.

Rajan

PS: I would rather not spend 2K to get a luxometer, as I have already removed the films in my car. I think it would be more prudent for members who refuse to remove the film to get one and prove that they are within permissible limits.

EDIT : Like I said before, I would rather spend my energies on trying to get an obsolete / impractical rule amended, than fight implementation of the same.

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 17th May 2012 at 21:41.
Old 17th May 2012, 23:03   #1742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra
Personally I think if implemented properly this is one of the many ways we can improve driviing in our country. I am told by my cousins in the US that tints are illegal there (not sure).
FYI, Your cousins are wrong. In USA, window tint rules vary state by state. Most states don't allow any tinting on front windshield where as some states don't allow tints on front side widows. But most of the states allow tints on rear side windows and rear windshield. States like Arizona and Florida (same climate as in India) allow 15% VLT on side and rear windshield.
Old 17th May 2012, 23:24   #1743
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power

FYI, Your cousins are wrong. In USA, window tint rules vary state by state. Most states don't allow any tinting on front windshield where as some states don't allow tints on front side widows. But most of the states allow tints on rear side windows and rear windshield. States like Arizona and Florida (same climate as in India) allow 15% VLT on side and rear windshield.
Not sure if this is updated but a lot of tints seem to be allowed!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_tinting
Old 17th May 2012, 23:34   #1744
BHPian

Please check my previous posts in this thread. Ive laid out in detail what the laws are in the US, UK & UAE, places which are relevant to Indians mostly for work purposes.

In other news, i got my films removed today at 3m ub city as i went with family. You are better off following the tbhp DIY. They also used Mr Muscle Kitchen cleaner and a blade to remove the gum after peeling off the film. But they did a clean job.

Mr. Vinod was very accomodating to my requests. Net damages 450rs. But one guy wasnt careful with my rear windshield with defogger even after i kept telling him peel it off slowly. He just pulled it tightly. The rest of the guys were very cordial and catered to all my requests.

Now my car feels stripped. No difference in visibility at night. But the law is the law.

And I may have seen a bhpian , i guess at the mercedes display in the evening clicking away pictures. Not sure though, just a guess. The E class Coupe was present.

Regards
Old 17th May 2012, 23:55   #1745
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
I had posted a link from Texas Department of Public Safety listing their rules for tinting earlier - here it is Texas DPS - Tinting. In fact Texas has no limitation on visibility in rear passenger windows, you can 0% light transmission also! Different states have different allowances. Usually the folks that do the outside tinting will only sell you what is legally allowed in the state. However if you happen to move states after that, you are in a soup.
Anyway, I just hope the Supreme court takes a more practical view of this and decides logically rather than come up with a flawed judgement like this one.
Old 17th May 2012, 23:59   #1746
Senior - BHPian

I have a request. A lot of crimes are carried out by gangsters in bikes wearing helmet. So what to do. You guessed it.

Last edited by rajeev k : 18th May 2012 at 00:01.
rajeev k is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 00:10   #1747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k
I have a request. A lot of crimes are carried out by gangsters in bikes wearing helmet. So what to do. You guessed it.
Someone can file a PIL. Ask to limit speed of bikes to 15 kmph so people can chase them on foot! Also about bike riders keeping mobiles within the helmets and talking.
Old 18th May 2012, 00:28   #1748
MAS
Senior - BHPian

I guess the rule has not yet come into effect in Chennai
- New cars are still going to after market accessory shops to get the sun films
- Car dealers are still offering sun films a free accessories

Chennai BHPians - has any one been stopped in Chennai for dark films?
Old 18th May 2012, 07:16   #1749
Distinguished - BHPian

Deadline to remove sun films extended to June 5

The Bangalore traffic police have extended the deadline to remove sun films from window screens of cars, to June 5.

“We have decided to extend the deadline as the public and several organisations have requested us to stretch the deadline to June 5,” said City Police CommissionerB G Jyothiprakash Mirji, on Thursday.

The move comes in the wake of the Supreme Court order that prohibits use of sun films or any Visual Light Transmission material on safety glasses, windscreens and side glasses of all vehicles throughout the country.

The City police had earlier set May 19 as the deadline.

After June 5, a fine of Rs 300 will be slapped on drivers for violating the rule. Motorists will have to cough up Rs 500 for committing the offence a second time. If the act is repeated for the third time, the police will seize the vehicle.
arun_josie is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 08:12   #1750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
I guess the rule has not yet come into effect in Chennai
- New cars are still going to after market accessory shops to get the sun films
- Car dealers are still offering sun films a free accessories

Chennai City Traffic Police has updated in its Facebook page that violators will be penalized. Check this out.

http://www.facebook.com/chennaitrafficpolice

No respite in Chennai as well.
Old 18th May 2012, 09:22   #1751
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Deadline to remove sun films extended to June 5

The Bangalore traffic police have extended the deadline to remove sun films from window screens of cars, to June 5.

“We have decided to extend the deadline as the public and several organisations have requested us to stretch the deadline to June 5,” said City Police CommissionerB G Jyothiprakash Mirji, on Thursday.

The move comes in the wake of the Supreme Court order that prohibits use of sun films or any Visual Light Transmission material on safety glasses, windscreens and side glasses of all vehicles throughout the country.

The City police had earlier set May 19 as the deadline.

After June 5, a fine of Rs 300 will be slapped on drivers for violating the rule. Motorists will have to cough up Rs 500 for committing the offence a second time. If the act is repeated for the third time, the police will seize the vehicle.
there is no such news in times or any announcement by BTP on their facebook page
Old 18th May 2012, 09:56   #1752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand
Agree with you on points 1 and 2, but on point 3, this will only worsen the existing situation. Do you think the idiotic morons that drive the Tata Sumos, Tempo Travellers, Indicabs, Wingers and Govt buses will even bother to dim their headlights, sun film or no sun film?
I wont be able to do much with buses, but for the others, after the sunfilm removal, I can atleast give them a taste of their own medicine if they use hi-beams.
Currently there isn't much that can be done since their dark tints mean that hi-beam from behind wont affect them.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 18th May 2012 at 10:08.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 10:07   #1753
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
there is no such news in times or any announcement by BTP on their facebook page
Not sure about TOI, but even the hindu has this news,
The Hindu : Cities / Bangalore : Sun film removal deadline extended till June 5

In facebook, they have responded to some posts saying the deadline is June 5th. Check the below post, it has a screen shot from facebook,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2780453
Old 18th May 2012, 10:13   #1754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Not sure about TOI, but even the hindu has this news,
Deccan herald print edition carry this news today! Even a few Kannada papers also has the news that the deadline has been extended till june 5th. No mention in times of India.
Welcome relief, at least temporarily!
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 10:17   #1755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Never heard of anyone stopped till now. I hope they will pay mere lip service to this order, tear a few films and challan the drivers; and that will be that.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks